in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #289 - Race for the Moon #2; Space Adventures #43; Am. Astronauts

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #289 - Race for the Moon #2; Space Adventures #43; Am. Astronauts  (Read 1744 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Hi everyone

I was born just a few months after Yuri Gargarin became the first man in space. When it came time for me to start school, my parents bought me a desk that had a map of the universe laminated on it. I studied at that desk right through school and university, and it probably fed my lifelong interest in space travel. So, in honour of my childhood desk, this week’s selections all have some connection with the quest for space.

Race for the Moon #2 - 1958

This is a collection of sci-fi stories, with most of the art and scripts by Jack Kirby. The reason I picked this one is because one of the stories ties in with Sputnik, which was launched the year before.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=16921

Space Adventures #43 – 1961

This one starts with a sci-fi story, but then has the true story of the Mercury missions and Alan B. Shepard’s flight, which made him the first American in space.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=66611

America’s Astronauts … Conquerors of Space (Product Info) 1961

This is a little 8-page advertising booklet that has some information on space capsules and then advertises a toy space capsule that kids can talk their parents into buying for them. Forget Barbie! This would have been my dream toy as a kid.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=72635

Hopefully the mix of fact and fiction will appeal. If you’re not so interested in space, there is some great art to enjoy.

Have fun

Quirky Quokka
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP

Nice theme!

I think most of the regulars will have something to say - most of us were children or teens in the early years of the space race.

cheers! 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Yes, I agree that these are good choices.  Having both real science information provided, along with science fiction stories related to those scientific recent discoveries and related issues would interest most children of that period. 

And this early Silver Age period, of late 1950s and early 1960s, demonstrates the difference between Dell Comics and the other comic book companies at that time, in that Dell still avoided filling their books with advertising pages, whereas, most of the others continued to increasing the number of ad pages, continuing to cut down the number of pages of actual comics, until the percentage of pages that were NOT comics was quite substantial.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP

Race for the Moon #2

The Thing on Sputnik 4
Gee, look at those safety precautions they are not taking. *rolls eyes* Odd little story.

Turmoil in the Heavens!
Ummmm... yeah... Citation needed. A planet that no longer exists, but we 'know' it had dinosaurs on it. Then Jupiter swallows it up, but leaves pieces, not as the asteroids, but as moons of Mars & Jupiter. Yeahhhhhh... What drugs was the writer on?

The Golden Rocket
So the entire rocket is made of unknown substances? Is that even possible? Some unknown substances sure, but all? And just looking at the screen he knows it's receiving signals from Pluto. Not the direction that Pluto's currently at, but definitely the (dwarf) planet itself. Yeahhhhh...

Lunar Trap
Bait your trap with a giant ball of green cheese...  ;)  Okay story. Best in the book.

Island in the Sky
Wasn't it known by 1958 that the Great Red Spot was a hurricane? Okay story, but could have been better. Benevolent Jovians who just saved a guy for no stated reason, or attempts to communicate with the humans (or vice versa) just feels weak.

Four on Planet X
A literary precursor to the urban legend that ends with "and a hook was hanging from the car door handle"?

Why Mars?
Overly optimistic article on why Mars is a good candidate for colonization. Although since we do know more about the dangers, I believe, Mars is still the best candidate.  ;)

The Face on Mars
Feels like something that might have appeared in Kirby's Challengers of the Unknown for DC. Of course it features the canard of the asteroid belt once having been a planet and the asteroid belt having a bunch of rocks clustered close together like an asteroid thicket.

Some interesting ideas for stories that felt rushed into print.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP

Scrounge said,
Gee, look at those safety precautions they are not taking. *rolls eyes* Odd little story.

If that amuses you, try this movie!
ROCKETSHIP X-M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1hAUX-S66c

Must admit, they were trying hard but had no real idea what was involved.   

Although it might have had the highest budget for a Robert L. Lippert movie ever.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Turmoil in the Heavens!
Ummmm... yeah... Citation needed. A planet that no longer exists, but we 'know' it had dinosaurs on it. Then Jupiter swallows it up, but leaves pieces, not as the asteroids, but as moons of Mars & Jupiter. Yeahhhhhh... What drugs was the writer on?

SuperScrounge, I gathered that the dinosaurs were made up (weren't they?), but I didn't know if there had been a planet called Polis. Some quick googling, and the main thing I came up with was that Polis Massa was the planetoid on which the Skywalker twins were born:

https://www.starwars.com/databank/polis-massa

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP

Thanks QQ,  what a great start, vintage Kirby! And already we've got a nasty critter on the Sputnik, so straight to the action as our hero has a close encounter.  What surprises me is that at the end Kirby is looking forward to a far better world than we have now, with good foreign relations and the hope of making new friends in a new universe. Bless him for being so optimistic!

The one pager about the planet Polis is interesting though I don't know enough to say how much is knowledge and how much is conjecture, the other one pager about Pluto is saddled with an "or is it?" ending which leaves it nowhere. And sadly, Pluto's not even a planet any more. So did the signals come from there or not?

Lunar Trap is weird because if Russia had a huge base on the moon I doubt they'd invite a suspected saboteur into the middle of it. It's sweet because it ends with a suggestion of a new understanding between East and West, and Kirby even works the promise of a little romance in, on the last panel. Stranger yet because when Kirby was working with Marvel, every other villain was a Russian.

The Island in the Sky is my favourite story in the issue, again I'm interested to see Bill's "guest" is benevolent, unlike many comic book aliens. I'm a little surprised the docs didn't pack him off to Area 51 to be dissected and studied, or to try to make contact with his guest. You'd also think that the rich and famous would be lining up to have their bodies shot into the red spot. Still, I like the way all the stories seem to have an upbeat ending.

The Face on Mars is fun too, a little moral tale in a sci-fi coating, I suppose it's too picky to question the fact that the noble giants are all humanoid and the aggressors are yucky egg things in spider machines. I'm sure it's been done the other way around too. Anyway, long as the bad creatures get their just desserts it's peachy with me.

Overall I enjoyed reading this, though I have to ask if there's any particular reason why you chose issue #2? I had a look at #1 and the tone was quite a bit darker. Nice art from Bob Powell though... #3 is more classic Kirby, the Three Rocketeers looking a little like a first shot for Challengers of the Unknown. He always did like teams...

Thanks for this.
More stuff to come
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Thanks QQ,  what a great start, vintage Kirby!

Overall I enjoyed reading this, though I have to ask if there's any particular reason why you chose issue #2? I had a look at #1 and the tone was quite a bit darker. Nice art from Bob Powell though... #3 is more classic Kirby, the Three Rocketeers looking a little like a first shot for Challengers of the Unknown. He always did like teams...

Thanks for this.
More stuff to come
K1ngcat

Hi K1ngcat

I'm glad you enjoyed that one. I mainly chose this one because of the Sputnik connection and because I thought the group would like some Kirby. I must have a look at the other ones in more detail.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP

Space Adventures #43

The Conqueror's Sword
Ummm... odd story.

First In Flight
Yeahhhhhh... if Sheebo's family was working in the asteroid belt and they have contact with the people of Saturn why would Urth be unknown to them? Why does Sheebo's description of Mars space program sound like they have never been in space before. This story feels like a rush job and could have used a rewrite or two to fix it.

A-Okay
Okay.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP

America's Astronauts... Conquerors of Space!

I imagine this was certainly produced and released after Alan Shepard's trip into space. I wonder when they made the Powermite II space capsule? Before the space flight hoping it wouldn't blow up or crash, or afterward when they could coast on the publicity?

One tidbit was how important indicator lights were for the astronaut in the story, but then this was produced for GE's Photo Lamp Department.  ;) (Did GE produce the lights for the real space capsule?)

An interesting curiosity of the time.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP

Oh ,QQ, I hardly know how to tell you this, but Charlton Comics is my great bugbear, my bete noire as it were. The poor, lackluster artwork, the ridiculous stories, the drab colours, the machine lettering, everything about them fills me with dismay. The only thing they ever had going for them was Steve Ditko's Captain Atom, and they even managed to make a hash of that golden goose in the end. Though Charlton did provide Ditko with a fair bit of work after he quit Marvel, and he produced a couple more heroes that helped inspire Alan Moore's Watchmen, so some good came of it all.

But, in general, no. The Crusader's Sword is just rubbish and the strip/article on Alan Shepard does a 20th century hero very little justice. Thanks anyway, I see the relevance of your choice but it doesn't do it for me.

Onwards and upwards!  :D
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP

Very nice selections, Q.Q. I was a fan of the space race myself growing up. The brochure for the toys was my highlight. Never saw it before and I’m glad we have this site to save it. Never would have thought of even looking for it.
Hey, Kingcat, you’ll love my wife’s comment. She was walking past when I had the Charlton comic opened and said; “Why is DAVID CROSBY in that comic?” (Bottom of page 2). But point well taken. Only Charlton could make the space race dull. And you know it’s a Charlton when the ad for the 150 plastic Civil War soldiers is more interesting then the comic itself. LOVE that jet in the back that burns gas. An original recipe for disaster.
And what could be better than Jack Kirby I hadn’t heard of? Not much. It was a fun read.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP

Race for the Moon #2
The artwork in this book is good enough.  The colouring could have been better.  The last story is especially good, and holds most of the book's worth and entertainment value for me.  The others seem to be only scenarios, with almost no plot development.

The Thing on Sputnik 4
This is an American comic book.  This story shows soldiers leaving satellite Sputnik 4, ostensibly a Soviet craft (installation), given its name.  I suppose the soldiers are supposed to be Russians, Ukrainians, Belarussians, and /or other Soviet Union nationals, rather than Americans.  The Space Alien is a four-legged, highly-sentient being (an unusual combination in Human experience to this date).  The ending, with an exchange of technologies is unexpected, and interesting.  But, it is a very provocative and exciting premise, worthy of a much longer story in which the reader would get to learn much more about the alien, his planet, the society from which he comes, and its place on that planet, and their attitude towards discovering The Earthmen.  This is the type of plot that deserves, at the very least, most of the 36 pages of the normal-sized 10¢ comic books of the late 1950s (if not most of the pages of a giant, 100-page 25¢ book).

The Heavens - Educational Informational Page
Here is another problem lack of proper research in creating comic book features.  As far as I learned, even back in the mid 1950s, Polis crashed into Jupiter (4.57 years ago), near the beginning of when our Solar System was created, about 4.6 billion years ago.  Current theory AND todays more refined estimates say that life (one celled plant life) didn't even start forming until about 3.7 billion years ago (estimated at about 4 billion in 1958).  So, no life existed on Earth , and so also none on Polis, when Polis crashed into Jupiter.  So, dinosaurs (started 250 million years ago, but those shown one this page started about 200 to 100 million years ago), and primitive humanoids appeared first around 3 million. So no dinosaurs, flying reptiles or Humans could have existed on Polis, given the statement that appears on this page, that "Life on Polis resembled that on Earth", given that no life at all existed on Polis or Earth for the first 7 tenths of a billion years of our Earth's existence.  Furthermore, life would have likely developed at a slower rate on Polis than on Earth, because many more different forms of life were possible on Earth than on Jupiter, because Earth is and was much closer to The Sun.  So, life would likely have developed with more changes, and thus, more chances to advance faster Earth than on Polis.  So advanced multi-celled life would likely have started earlier on Earth than on Polis, and during most of the era of life on Earth, life was one-celled.  So even if Polis had crashed into Jupiter after life had started on it, it is not likely that there would have been life as advanced as reptiles, dinosaurs and mammals.  Stating that "it is unknown whether or not Human beings existed somewhere in the 'tangled vegetation' (green algae?) is ridiculous, based on current or 1958 theories.

The Golden Rocket
Is this supposed to be a one-page story???  Or is it (I hope,) a prequel to the next story:

Lunar Trap
Unfortunately, this story doesn't seem to be connected with "The Golden Rocket".  Interesting idea that US Astronauts run into a Soviet Cosmonaut installation, and The Cold War continues away from Earth. This story calls everything to do with The Soviets "Russian".  Russia and The Soviet Union were different entities, as are and were England and Great Britain.  The Soviet Lunar base's commandant was rude, speaking to their American captive, while looking elsewhere, despite standing face-to-face opposite him.  It must be an error.  She is looking to her right, where no one is standing, and nothing is going on in the background.  These ultra-short stories are more like a headline is to a long, detailed newspaper article. It barely starts providing the characters without developing them, and a bare-bones setting, and is over before the plot even starts developing.  VERY unsatisfying for a person who loves to be entertained by reading or watching stories.  It does have the age-old plot of two enemies joining forces to fight a greater danger to them both.

Island In The Sky
The Astronauts in this story wonder what "The Big Red Spot" on Jupiter is.  I thought I had already known that current theory in the mid 1950s was already that it was a big anticyclonic storm of gas clouds.  More intensive study occurred throughout the 1960s and 1970s, as telescopes improved.  In 1958, they already knew it was made of clouds above the planets' outer contiguous layer (of gases).  The Astronauts even state that very fact.  It was seen from telescopic viewing that the "spot's" border gases were constantly moving in an anticyclonic motion.  So why wouldn't the writer of this story assume they were weather clouds, even if he didn't research the scientific details?  An interesting Idea that the beings, that live inside the gas clouds above Jupiter, have the technology to bring a Human back to life, and can insert a foreign mechanism into his brain that will allow him to live another 1000 years.  Too bad that interesting story and concept can't continue to develop in the same story where we are presented the idea.  Let another miniscule 5-page so-called story, which is barely a scenario.

Four On Planet X - Text Story
Four men travelled to an alien planet, and failed to encounter alien beings who tampered with their spacecraft.  Now we can assume that the authorities of their space programme will send another expedition there to meet those alien beings.  Not much of a story.  Basically another scenario left undeveloped.  I suppose the people who only bother to read newspaper headlines would like these "stories".

Why Mars? - Educational Information Page
This explains why Mars is the best planet, other than Earth, in our Solar System, to support life, and why we should look for other life there, first.  Not interesting, because most, if not all of us would have known all that at the age of 8 or 9, when we might have bought this book.

The Face On Mars
This strategically follows the Mars information page, and is based upon the theory of the 1940s and 1950s that the blueish/greenish lines, viewed on Mars through telescopes, could well be water canals, and therefore, sentient, intelligent life must exist there.  The giant face on Mars was also a theory going round during The 1950s, as I remember, later found to have been an illusion formed by shadows of mountains giving the impression that a giant structure in the shape of a face existed on Mars' surface.
This is BY FAR the best story in this book, and the only one worthy of the label, "Story".  It espouses a theory that The Asteroids (actually remnants of a planet that crashed into Jupiter about 4.6 billion years ago) was destroyed by Martians, whose planets' life was destroyed by beings from that other planet. Interesting that this story connects several of the current theories from back then, to form an entertains tale.  Still and all, this plot is much too interesting and large in scope to be cramped into a mere 5 pages.  You've probably all guessed that I would have wanted to stretch this plot out with added action and suspense, and character development, taking up this entire book, a bigger size inside a 25¢ Giant Comic.

Thanks Panther, for your link to the current (2017) theory on The Asteroids' formation.  I hadn't known about that one.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:18:56 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Race for the Moon #2

Turmoil in the Heavens!
Ummmm... yeah... Citation needed. A planet that no longer exists, (1) but we 'know' it had dinosaurs on it. Then Jupiter swallows it up, but leaves pieces, not as the asteroids, but as moons of Mars & Jupiter. Yeahhhhhh... What drugs was the writer on?

Island in the Sky
(2) Wasn't it known by 1958 that the Great Red Spot was a hurricane? Okay story, but could have been better. Benevolent Jovians who just saved a guy for no stated reason, or attempts to communicate with the humans (or vice versa) just feels weak.

(3) Some interesting ideas for stories that felt rushed into print.

(1) The theory was (in 1958, and apparently until 2017) that that planet crashed into Jupiter about 700 million years BEFORE life started on Earth, and so, 500 million years before the earliest dinosaurs appeared, and another 80 million before the dinosaurs and winged reptile depicted in the panel, AND another 100+ million years before Humans appeared (which was also wondered by the author).  I hope Kirby didn't write that.

(2) I learned that in Canada before 1958, so, it must have been known in USA, too.  I hope Kirby didn't write this story.  The characters in the story even state that the spot lies a substantial distance above the planet's outer layer (which every educated person knew was made of gasses.  So, when seeing that the "spot" moved constantly in an anti-cyclonic motion, wouldn't it be logical that those gases must represent a permanent or semi-permanent gas cloud weather pattern (or "storm", if you will)?  So the writer should have figured that out even if he didn't learn that in school.  But, If I had gotten the assignment to write that story, and had chosen to write about "Jupiter's Great Red Spot", I'd certainly would have researched the latest accepted theories on it.  Researching not only provides better "authority" and realism to one's stories, but it invariably provides more ideas to add "colour" and sometimes interesting plotting devices to improve the story's entertainment value.  Of course, heavy deadlines of publishers like Charlton, and probably Harvey, as well as the low pay per hour, probably made more than the most cursory researching impractical and unaffordable.  I've always lowered my per hour pay to provide it, anyway, because I believe, like Carl Barks did, that I should produce stories that I, myself, would enjoy reading.

(3) We are like two peas in a pod!  As I stated above, ALL the 5-page so-called "stories" present ideas that, if developed, would provide great entertainment for their readers.  But, the only story that is more than a scenario (plot idea) is the last one, whose natural scope (story it is attempting to tell) is short enough to be told in 5 pages (even if 10-12 would have been better.  The other so-called stories have big ideas which require scopes much, much bigger, to handle all the aspects that readers would want covered, and so, need much more setting, character, and plot development.  And I would want 32 to 64 pages for each of them.  But, of course, by 1958, both Charlton and Harvey only had about 22-23 pages available in 36-page books, for stories (and all, or almost all of those were for advertising).  So, even getting the whole Harvey book for one story would have a bit unsatisfying, but infinitely less aggravating than trying to cram such nice ideas into 5 measly pages.  And most of the stories not being thought out too well, and not really researched to a meaningful level also hurt them.  Still, Kirby's artwork and the last story save the book.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Oh ,QQ, I hardly know how to tell you this, but Charlton Comics is my great bugbear, my bete noire as it were. The poor, lackluster artwork, the ridiculous stories, the drab colours, the machine lettering, everything about them fills me with dismay. The only thing they ever had going for them was Steve Ditko's Captain Atom, and they even managed to make a hash of that golden goose in the end. Though Charlton did provide Ditko with a fair bit of work after he quit Marvel, and he produced a couple more heroes that helped inspire Alan Moore's Watchmen, so some good came of it all.

But, in general, no. The Crusader's Sword is just rubbish and the strip/article on Alan Shepard does a 20th century hero very little justice. Thanks anyway, I see the relevance of your choice but it doesn't do it for me.

Onwards and upwards!  :D
K1ngcat

Hey K1ngcat, well done for your heroic effort in ploughing through that comic in spite of the hidden trauma Charlton has for you. I agree the art isn't anywhere near as good as the Kirby one. Even the cover is a bit dull. I mainly picked it for the story on Alan B Shepard, but forewarned is forearmed. If they ever let me pick again, I'll be sure to make all the choices from Charlton ... oops ... not from Charlton. I used to be a psychology lecturer, so if you need any Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, let me know  :D
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Here is another problem lack of proper research in creating comic book features.  As far as I learned, even back in the mid 1950s, Polis crashed into Jupiter (4.57 years ago), near the beginning of when our Solar System was created, about 4.6 billion years ago.  Current theory AND todays more refined estimates say that life (one celled plant life) didn't even start forming until about 3.7 billion years ago (estimated at about 4 billion in 1958).  So, no life existed on Earth , and so also none on Polis, when Polis crashed into Jupiter.  So, dinosaurs (started 250 million years ago, but those shown one this page started about 200 to 100 million years ago), and primitive humanoids appeared first around 3 million. So no dinosaurs, flying reptiles or Humans could have existed on Polis, given the statement that appears on this page, that "Life on Polis resembled that on Earth", given that no life at all existed on Polis or Earth for the first 7 tenths of a billion years of our Earth's existence.  Furthermore, life would have likely developed at a slower rate on Polis than on Earth, because many more different forms of life were possible on Earth than on Jupiter, because Earth is and was much closer to The Sun.  So, life would likely have developed with more changes, and thus, more chances to advance faster Earth than on Polis.  So advanced multi-celled life would likely have started earlier on Earth than on Polis, and during most of the era of life on Earth, life was one-celled.  So even if Polis had crashed into Jupiter after life had started on it, it is not likely that there would have been life as advanced as reptiles, dinosaurs and mammals.  Stating that "it is unknown whether or not Human beings existed somewhere in the 'tangled vegetation' (green algae?) is ridiculous, based on current or 1958 theories.

Thanks for that info, Robb. When I did a quick search for Polis, I only came up with references to Star Wars, so it's good to see there's more to it.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Very nice selections, Q.Q. I was a fan of the space race myself growing up. The brochure for the toys was my highlight. Never saw it before and I’m glad we have this site to save it. Never would have thought of even looking for it.
Hey, Kingcat, you’ll love my wife’s comment. She was walking past when I had the Charlton comic opened and said; “Why is DAVID CROSBY in that comic?” (Bottom of page 2).

Glad you liked it, Morgus. I really like that brochure too. I did a search for 'astronaut' when looking for this week's selections, and it came up. I wouldn't have thought to look under product promotion. If my parents had found one of those brochures stashed in their shopping bags, I would have been thrilled. They wouldn't have been too thrilled though, because I would have nagged them to buy me one of those capsules. Did they post to Australia? We probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. My husband's brother is still waiting for the Bullworker he ordered in the 1960s. I don't think the US editors expected an Aussie kid to write in.  :D

I love your wife's comment. I had to check it out. I'm not sure I'd say David Crosby, but it is a weird character for a sci-fi story.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Thanks for that info, Robb. When I did a quick search for Polis, I only came up with references to Star Wars, so it's good to see there's more to it.   

Every reference I had ever seen for that destroyed planet gave it no name.  I just assumed that because it was called Polis in this story, that polis was its name.  Perhaps it was never given a name.  When I described the planet crashing into Jupiter, I got only a discussion about an un-named planet that was shattered into millions of pieces, and got only the fictional "Polis" when I googled "Polis".  "Polis" meant "city" or "governmental jurisdiction" in Ancient Greek.  So, it is not a logical name for a planet.  So, it must be just Kirby's tossing in a salute to another well-liked work of fiction.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP

Hey, Kingcat, you’ll love my wife’s comment. She was walking past when I had the Charlton comic opened and said; “Why is DAVID CROSBY in that comic?” (Bottom of page 2).

;D  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP

Hey K1ngcat, well done for your heroic effort in ploughing through that comic in spite of the hidden trauma Charlton has for you. I agree the art isn't anywhere near as good as the Kirby one. Even the cover is a bit dull. I mainly picked it for the story on Alan B Shepard, but forewarned is forearmed. If they ever let me pick again, I'll be sure to make all the choices from Charlton ... oops ... not from Charlton. I used to be a psychology lecturer, so if you need any Critical Incident Stress Debriefing, let me know  :D

Thanks for your consideration QQ, it's much appreciated!  ;)
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP

Conquerors of Space

Cute, nice art and it seems like a lot of trouble to go to, to sell a cardboard capsule. I guess a child's imagination might see it as more than that. I wonder how many of them they actually sold?

At least it's better quality than Charlton! I wonder that I don't remember more about the whole space race phenomenon. I remember Telstar, mainly because an instrumental of that name by a band called The Tornadoes was a big hit in the UK. I remember the Russians sent a dog into space,  called Laika I think. It seemed like a cruel thing to me, I prefer my dogs dozing in front of the fire.

I have stronger memories of Yuri Gagarin and the American Moon Landing but that was almost ten years later. Perhaps I was too distracted by moving to a new area, trying to fit in at a new school, and generally having my life turned upside down.

Anyhow QQ, thanks for the choices, it's been interesting and stirred some old memories, enjoyed and appreciated.

All the best
K1ngcat
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 01:46:19 AM by K1ngcat »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Space Adventures #43 - Charlton

The Crusader's Sword
The "Crusader" wasn't wearing 10th Century armour.  That is 12th Century armour.  The Crusades started near the END of the 11th Century, and occurred mostly during the 12th Century, and the early 13th.  I don't remember ANY explanation of why the people on the "Twin Planets".  I can't stand the way Charlton's mechanical automatic typesetting programme places hyphens in incorrect places on almost every other word in the narrow narrative boxes, and in dialogue balloons, as well.  What is a "spatial warrior"?  One who avoids hand-to-hand combat, only fighting from a distance with weapons that can span far distance?  One panel introduces an animate "DEAD man", who was either a hologram, or resurrected by scientists new methods.  We learn nothing about that life-changing news.  Interesting that the alien villains landed on Earth in England during the 9th Century (800s) 3 to 4 centuries earlier than the current clothing the captive people have.  So, for the last 300 to 400 years, their clothing, has developed independently, in EXACTLY the same way it was developing millions of miles away, in another galaxy.  The odds against that are millions to one.  And the transplanted Englanders' clothing and military equipment and weapons evolved the same as they were doing millions of miles away for 300 to 400 years, and then, suddenly stopped evolving, at all, for the following 700+ years, up until this coincidental meeting with Earthmen.  The ridiculousness of this story makes the weakly-researched and poorly thought out stories in The Harvey book seem well-researched and well thought out.  This author placed dialogue inside narrative boxes.  I don't like that.  But if he insists on doing that, he should, at least, place quotation marks around it. At the end of the story we find out that Commander Caxton and The King's daughter have fallen in love, with not even a clue to that beforehand.  A big no-no for an author.

I like the idea that the robots are not programmed to understand the emotion of hatred, and so, because their computers cannot process that, because of their pure mathematical logic, they burn up their circuits continuing to try to understand why logic is being thwarted and their questions are not being answered.  So they just burn out and become disabled.  I suppose that Caxton is lying when he stated that he knows Humans who took so much electrical current that they "became immune" to its effects.  That's not possible, but he probably hoped it would deter the robot from continuing to try to give him more pain until Caxton would do his bidding.  And then, Caxton punches the robots hard metal torso or head with his knuckles leading.  That's a perfect way to break several of his own finger bones.  The, The Humans start an uprising by shooting The Robots' main power generation plant, destroying it, which shut all the robots down for good.  Why couldn't The Humans on Twin I have tried that long before?

First In Flight - Text Story
This is utter garbage, and insulting.  I know these are fillers that no one expected anyone to read.  But people should take a little pride in their work (or, at least, try to avoid shame!). This author has Mars having an atmosphere, oceans, abundant plantlike, and yet, its sky is black, and the border between shadow and sunlight is abrupt, rather than gradual.  A man noticed that his arm and hand was weightless, but, it is implied that the rest of his body isn't.  That doesn't seem logical to me.  The author gave a lot of what he thought were scientific-sounding names for technology, facilities and organizations on Mars, to impress the reader.  But, he says nothing about them, other than their names.  This 2-page text story gives the impression that an 8-year old wrote it.

A-Okay - (Alan Shepard's first US Flight Into Space - adapted from Robert Silverburg's book, "First American Into Space")
This is a good, concise summary of the work leading up to Shepard's flight, shown graphically in a way that is palatable to young children and pre-teens, that may have them relate to better than straight text, and not only transfer the knowledge better, but make it more likely that they retain it.  This article should count a lot more towards the "redeeming qualities" requirement for this series obtaining The US Postal Service's 2nd Class Postage discount rate than the ridiculous ALL-text 2-page so-called "story".

« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 04:57:13 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

America's Astronauts - Conquerors Of Space

Wow!  A climb-in sized replica model of NASA's Space Capsule tested by the Astronauts in their Space Flight training.  It looks very elaborate and likely to have been expensive to buy for a child's toy.  But all that the purchaser needed to send was $5 US, and proof of purchase of a General Electric flashbulb 12-lamp pack.  The $5 includes the shipping cost.  That "Control Panel" must have been made of cardboard, and the "Space Capsule" and "Space Helmet" probably were, as well.  The only parts of it that probably could last more than a couple times sitting in it were the GE flashbulb lamps!  From the view inside the capsule, it is clear that the "control panel" is roughly at eye-level or within arm reach when the child is sitting down (probably with legs crossed, or standing on his or her knees.  Still, even if almost all cardboard, it must have cost more than $5 per unit to manufacture and ship.  So, it was a promotional enticement for introducing GE's newest flashbulbs to the camera-using public. 

It reminds me of the mid-to-late and late 1950s adverts in US and Canadian comic books that offered 200 WWII, or US Civil War soldiers for $1.00.  We later learned why the graphic representation was a drawing, rather than a photograph, with common objects nearby for a size reference.  The drawn pictures always made the toy look 1000 times better than the actual toy was that arrived to the buyer in the post.  And they used tricks like stating that each moulded plastic piece stands on a sturdy base of UP TO 4 inches long.  When the buyer received the package, the box was tiny.  He would wonder how all those soldiers and cannons could fit into it.  It must not be his package.  When opened, he discovered that the box contained 200 tiny, soldier statues, attached to a less than one inch long base, and one cannon had the 4-inch base advertised.  The plastic was so brittle that if you sneezed on the figures, they would break.  Lucky for me I was already past the age of 10, and long past playing with toy soldiers when those ads first appeared on the back of comic books in 1956.  And I didn't fall for the novelty shop junk, like "whoopee cushions", plastic fake vomit, or flies inside plastic "ice cubes", or rigged playing cards to do magic tricks.  I do remember several of the boys in my classes bringing those to school to fool the teacher, put in the girls drinks, etc.  I wonder if any kids made a fortune by selling "American Seeds"?

The $5 price makes it likely that the space capsule and helmet were individual flat cardboard pieces, with a printed paper covering with printed drawings of the capsule's parts, and the control panel was the same, with colour printed areas.  And, it all had to be assembled, according to instructions included on a folded piece of paper, or small booklet.  The 5-7 year olds might have thought it would be full-sized for an adult, like they saw on TV.  But, I suppose that most parents would have tried to convince their kids that it would be only painted cardboard and last only a day or two of use.  But the kids would insist that this would be "the best toy ever!" and whine incessantly until the parents would give in and buy it for them, anyway.  I find it interesting that GE would not send the capsules to Alaska, Puerto Rico, or The Philippine Islands, but only to "The Continental US", AND Hawaii.  Usually this type of offer was shipped only to The Continental US.  So, GE must have decided this was so important an offer that The Hawaiian kids shouldn't miss out on it.  ;D

Something like that in a toy store now, would probably be made of hard plastic, with an elaborate electric control panel, including videos of real Space photography, and cost at LEAST several hundred US or Canadian Dollars and over at least £ 100 - 150 or a lot more.  And, maybe it would have headphones and 3-d goggles, and have the capability of providing virtual experiences, including that of weightlessness, and moving in lower gravity - such as Moon or Mars levels.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 06:14:29 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP

Wow!  Thanks for the photos, Crash.  I guess they were sample photos from someone selling theirs on E-Bay.  The scan Internet addresses indicate they are cardboard, but they way they are painted makes them look like hard plastic.  I never knew anyone who had one.  We had GE products in Canada, but we never got that Space Capsule offer.  Looks as if In guessed right about the  control panel being about eye level with the kid on his or her knees.  It looks better in real life than I would have guessed.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.