in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Meet Abaddon, an AI Golden Age Hero

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Meet Abaddon, an AI Golden Age Hero  (Read 671 times)

gregjh

message icon
Meet Abaddon, an AI Golden Age Hero
« on: April 24, 2023, 01:17:12 PM »

I know, I know, I've done the "AI chat" thing before. However today's brainstorming and creative session with Chat GPT was so much fun, I thought I should share it as an example of what AI is now capable of.

This artwork was also AI made. These three images are the best of the bunch. As you can see, AI art isn't quite at the same level as AI conversation yet. Which one should I choose?

And here's the conversation. The robot is in blue, the rest is me.

let's have some fun. let's create a Golden Age Comic!

Sure, that sounds like a lot of fun! What kind of Golden Age comic would you like to create? Superhero, adventure, mystery, or something else? And do you have any specific ideas in mind for the characters or plot?

Let's create a GA superhero. the characters and plot we can create together as we go along. sound good?

Sounds great! Let's get started. What kind of superhero do you have in mind? Something classic like Superman or Batman, or something more unusual?

something GA in style and of our own creation

Got it! How about we create a superhero team? A group of individuals with unique abilities who come together to fight evil and protect the innocent. We can give them each their own powers and personalities, and create a story around their adventures. What do you think?

first, let's create our main character. we can make his team later

Great idea! Our main character could be a classic hero archetype, like a brave and noble champion of justice. Or we could go in a different direction and create a hero with a more unusual personality or set of abilities. What kind of hero do you have in mind?

Although our hero is Golden Age, I'd like to give him a more dark era of comics style personality. By that, I mean he is noble and just but also gritty, jaded and flawed.

I like that idea! It sounds like our hero has a bit of an anti-hero vibe, which is definitely a unique twist on the classic Golden Age superhero. What should we call him? And what kind of abilities or powers should he have?

hmmm, let me think for a moment

Sure, take your time. Creating a new character can take some time, and it's important to get the details right.

i'm still thinking

No problem, take all the time you need. Creating a character can be a process of trial and error, so it's okay if it takes some time to figure out what kind of hero we want to create.

i'd like his costume to be GA style. Bold, simple colours with a big logo

That's a great idea! Bold and simple costumes were definitely a hallmark of Golden Age superheroes. How about a color scheme of blue and red, with a large, stylized "A" emblem on his chest? It could stand for his superhero name or have some other meaning. And for his personality, what if he's a bit of a loner, maybe because of his jaded outlook on life? He could have a tragic backstory that motivates him to fight for justice, even though he doesn't always believe it's possible. What do you think?

i like your ideas, let's use them

Great! So our hero will be named "A-Man", and he wears a blue and red costume with a large, stylized "A" on his chest. As for his powers, we could give him super strength and durability, which would make him a formidable fighter in battle. But perhaps his most unique ability is his incredible speed - he can run faster than the eye can see, which allows him to move in and out of danger quickly, and even dodge bullets. As for his personality, he's a bit of a loner who's seen too much darkness in the world, but he's motivated to fight for justice by a tragic event in his past. Does that sound good?

hmm, I would rather refine your latest suggestion. "A-man" is too simple, let me choose another name

Of course! Feel free to suggest a different name that you think suits our hero's personality and abilities. We can work together to find the perfect name for him.

let's call him "Abbadon". The Biblical reference and symbolism is deliberate

Interesting choice! "Abaddon" is a powerful name with strong biblical connotations, which could give our hero a more mystical or otherworldly quality. It also suggests a character who is both powerful and mysterious, which could be an interesting angle to explore. What do you think Abaddon's backstory could be, and how does he come to use his powers to fight evil?

His name is designed to strike fear and wonder into his enemies. It doesn't necessarily reflect who he is. In the same way Batman used symbolism to incite fear

I see, so Abaddon uses his name and appearance as a way to intimidate his enemies and inspire awe in those he seeks to protect. That's an interesting approach, and definitely fits with the more gritty and jaded personality we discussed earlier. As for his backstory, perhaps Abaddon was once a normal person, but gained his incredible speed and strength after being exposed to a strange substance or energy. This event could have also led to the tragedy that motivates him to fight for justice. What do you think?

I like it, but let's tone down his superpowers. let's say he had a near death experience that has made him hard to kill. he is resistant to poison, peak human strength and the ability to read the immediate thoughts and emotions of people when he is near them

That sounds like a good way to balance Abaddon's abilities with his more grounded and gritty personality. His resistance to poison and peak human strength make him a formidable opponent, but not so powerful that he becomes invincible. And his ability to read people's thoughts and emotions could add an interesting dimension to his character, especially if he uses it to uncover secrets and get an edge in battle.

So Abaddon's origin story could be that he was once a regular person who was on the verge of death, but was saved by a mysterious force that granted him his unique abilities. From that point on, he dedicated himself to fighting evil and protecting the innocent, driven by a sense of purpose and a desire to make a difference in the world. What do you think?

I like it1 Let's refine it a little. Let's say he was near death and doesn't exactly remember who or what saved him. His memory of that day is lost. That can add a long-term story arc for him

That's a great addition! The mystery of how Abaddon gained his powers and who or what saved him could be a recurring plot point that drives the story forward. It could also add an element of uncertainty to Abaddon's character, as he struggles to understand his own origins and the true nature of his powers. This could make him a more complex and interesting character for readers to follow.

now, let's refine his costume. GA in style but also on the gritty side. any suggestions?

Sure, how about we keep the blue and red color scheme, but make the design a little more rugged and practical? We could give Abaddon a dark blue bodysuit with red accents, and add some black leather or Kevlar to the costume to make it look more functional and protective. We could also give him some utility belts or pouches to carry gadgets and weapons, which would reflect his more tactical and strategic approach to fighting crime. Additionally, we could add some subtle occult or mystical symbols to the costume, to tie into his name and give the impression of a more mysterious and enigmatic character. What do you think?

great ideas. let's keep the blue and red suit with dark accents and utility belt. the logo we discussed earlier can be in a font or artistic style to match his mysterious character

Sounds good! We can have the logo be a stylized letter "A" that incorporates some mystical or occult elements, to match Abaddon's enigmatic personality. Maybe it could be designed to look like a sigil or symbol that he uses to channel his powers. The font could be bold and Gothic, to give the logo a more intimidating and ominous look. Would that work for you?

it would! Now , let's choose his location. How about new york in the 50s?

New York in the 50s could definitely work as Abaddon's setting. It was a time of great change and upheaval in the city, with a lot of social and political issues that could provide a rich backdrop for Abaddon's adventures. Additionally, the historical setting would give the story a distinct flavor and help it stand out from other superhero comics. We could have Abaddon operating in the shadows of the city, using his speed and strength to take down criminals and protect the innocent. It could be a dangerous and gritty world, but one that Abaddon is uniquely suited to navigate. What do you think?

yes, and we could make the mafia groups of the time some of his main enemies.

That's a great idea! The mafia was a major presence in New York in the 50s, and having them be Abaddon's main enemies would tie in nicely with the gritty and realistic tone of the story. We could have Abaddon going up against the heads of the mafia families, as well as their enforcers and hitmen. The mafia could see Abaddon as a threat to their operations and try to take him down, leading to some intense and action-packed battles. Additionally, we could explore the corrupt underbelly of the city and the various factions that operate within it, giving readers a glimpse into a world of danger and intrigue.

let's choose his main nemesis

How about we create a rival vigilante who has similar abilities and a similar mission to Abaddon, but who operates with a more brutal and uncompromising approach? This character could be a former ally of Abaddon's, who eventually became disillusioned with the justice system and took matters into his own hands. We could give him a name like "The Avenger", to emphasize his uncompromising and merciless nature. The Avenger could serve as a mirror image to Abaddon, highlighting the different approaches to justice and morality that they represent. They could have some epic battles as they clash over their differing philosophies and approaches to fighting crime. What do you think?

perfect, except for the name. I want to avoid alliteration. can you choose a new name for his rival

Sure thing! How about "Nemesis"? It's a name that conveys a sense of conflict and opposition, which would be fitting for Abaddon's rival. It also doesn't use alliteration, which should help it stand out from other superhero names.

how about "Nereus"? it's similar to nemesis but also has a Biblical tone which will add the depth we seek

I like that name! "Nereus" definitely has a Biblical tone to it, and it's not a name that's commonly used in superhero comics, so it should help the character stand out. We could have Nereus be a former ally of Abaddon's, who starts to question his methods and eventually breaks away to form his own vigilante group. Nereus could be more brutal and unforgiving than Abaddon, and he could see Abaddon as weak and ineffective for his reluctance to use lethal force. This would create an interesting dynamic between the two characters, as they clash over their differing approaches to crimefighting.

I think we have good ideas. We've drifted from the GA tone we started with but not by too much.

Yes, we have! It's been a fun creative process, and I think we've come up with some interesting ideas that could work well in a Golden Age-style comic. Would you like to continue brainstorming, or do you have any other questions or ideas you'd like to explore?

let's stop here for now and continue later. I am going to try and use an AI art generator to create visuals of our hero

That sounds like a great idea! I hope the AI art generator is able to bring our hero to life in a way that captures the essence of our ideas. Feel free to reach out to me anytime you'd like to continue brainstorming or exploring new ideas. It's been a pleasure working with you!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2023, 01:24:56 PM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Meet Abaddon, an AI Golden Age Hero
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 04:48:29 PM »

I'm not sure that I understand this situation you've created, on this post, Greg.  But, if I understand it correctly, the current level of computer robot Artificial Intelligence that can communicate in written (or, I assume also in sound/audio) conversation, is now capable of understanding almost as much in language as Human beings (and approaching the complete "thinking" level of Humans).  And THAT is VERY scary to me, with regards to computers and robots being much closer to the dangerous situation of their ability moving towards eventually reaching the level of self awareness (e.g. much sooner than I had thought).

Tell me that I am, or am not understanding this situation correctly.  I hope I am not, and I have nothing to fear (at least during my lifetime (5 to 30 years(at most).
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 11:28:35 PM »

The AI is clearly programmed to give only positive responses.
Sounds great! Great Idea! and on and on. Which attests to a human mind behind the scenes dictating the responses in the programming.
Interesting choice! "Abaddon" is a powerful name with strong biblical connotations, which could give our hero a more mystical or otherworldly quality. It also suggests a character who is both powerful and mysterious, which could be an interesting angle to explore. What do you think Abaddon's backstory could be, and how does he come to use his powers to fight evil? 

Here the AI simply gives a number of non-contributory stock phrases as responses. Like a Parrot.
Simply rephrases what has already been said.
Greg, All the ideas here are suggested by you. There's no real imput from the AI. It just responds to you with postive feedback.   
If I had a conversation like that with a human being, I would not be impressed. It would just be annoying. 
Reminds me of being in meetings and hearing people sucking up to the Boss.   
AI is being used and will continure to be used [By Billionaires, Government and Corporations] to eliminate base-level 'thinking' work in order to not have to pay workers.
But, if I understand it correctly, the current level of computer robot Artificial Intelligence that can communicate in written (or, I assume also in sound/audio) conversation, is now capable of understanding almost as much in language as Human beings (and approaching the complete "thinking" level of Humans). 

We are told to believe that, but let's just say I am not a believer.
Oh, The AI art generator clearly has been given Superman as a template.
the first and third image are variations on Superman's  imagry.
There is already a Golden Age superhero with a large A on his chest. But his colours are Yellow and Green.
Very interesting. 
Cheers! 

ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2023, 01:06:58 AM »

I'm not sure that I understand this situation you've created, on this post, Greg.  But, if I understand it correctly, the current level of computer robot Artificial Intelligence that can communicate in written (or, I assume also in sound/audio) conversation, is now capable of understanding almost as much in language as Human beings (and approaching the complete "thinking" level of Humans).  And THAT is VERY scary to me, with regards to computers and robots being much closer to the dangerous situation of their ability moving towards eventually reaching the level of self awareness (e.g. much sooner than I had thought).

Tell me that I am, or am not understanding this situation correctly.  I hope I am not, and I have nothing to fear (at least during my lifetime (5 to 30 years(at most).

It's a hot topic with differing viewpoints that for once, do not appear to be divided along strict political party lines. Just last week, Elon Musk week stated that AI is indeed dangerous and announced he has created "Open AI", a group that will create an alternative AI model where the coding (instructions) is open for everyone to see. The current AI model that is exploding in popularity is created by his former friend and a Google executive, who has very different views.

Also last week, a podcast interview between Joe Rogan and Steve Jobs was released. If that sounds impossible, it's because it was. The whole thing was AI generated but if we weren't told, we wouldn't know. The only giveaway was the slightly stock answers.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:47:35 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 03:25:24 AM »

Sounds great! Great Idea! and on and on. Which attests to a human mind behind the scenes dictating the responses in the programming.

Here the AI simply gives a number of non-contributory stock phrases as responses. Like a Parrot.
Greg, All the ideas here are suggested by you. There's no real imput from the AI. It just responds to you with postive feedback.
If I had a conversation like that with a human being, I would not be impressed. It would just be annoying.
AI is being used and will continure to be used [By Billionaires, Government and Corporations] to eliminate base-level 'thinking' work in order to not have to pay workers.
But, if I understand it correctly, the current level of computer robot Artificial Intelligence that can communicate in written (or, I assume also in sound/audio) conversation, is now capable of understanding almost as much in language as Human beings (and approaching the complete "thinking" level of Humans).

the first and third image are variations on Superman's imagry.
There is already a Golden Age superhero with a large A on his chest. But his colours are Yellow and Green.
Very interesting.
Cheers!

I disagree to some extent. It's true the AI is "too nice", though there are "jailbreak" prompts to get it to curse, be sarcastic, etc. It's also true it can be used in lazy ways. I'm a teacher and in my field, tedious and vacuous cover letters, resume repetitions and other diatribes are required for almost any online job application. They can consume hours just to apply for jobs that will receive an auto-reply rejection. Chat GPT has helped me with that.

On the other hand, the AI offers suggestions as you see above and does expand on ideas. I also found a good prompt for it to GM (games master) an entire session of Cyberpunk and then Dungeons & Dragons. Not to say it's better than a human game but that's another issue. I do agree the art generator is not up to par yet, as a visual medium rather than a verbal one, I think it's natural it will take longer. At the moment, the more abstract art generation is more impressive than more regular requests.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 11:49:34 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 04:14:20 AM »

Also last week, a podcast interview between Joe Rogan and Steve Jobs was released. If that sounds impossible, it's because it was. The whole thing was AI generated but if we weren't told, we wouldn't know. The only giveaway was the slightly stock answers.

This is my major concern with AI. AI development is moving very fast, and people are impatient to apply it to everything without stopping to consider where it is they want to go. On another forum we were discussing how Martin Shkreli, the pharmacuticals conman/investor/crook who was released early from prison, plans to launch an online AI "doctor" to discuss users' health issues. Some speculated that the AI would likely be trained (like artistic AI programs are) by scraping information from the Internet, and that this might mean it would "learn" erroneous information which could produce bad results for someone who trusted the "doctor's" advice. Another person countered that there is plenty of peer-reviewed, rock-solid medical information accessible online by someone who takes the time to look.

Therein lies the rub. Most online entrepreneurs are interested in making fast money. It's much easier to train their AI by scraping generic medical sites like Mayo Clinic, pharmaceutical company sites, and Wikipedia than to seek out (and perhaps pay for) verified, professional-level information. The Internet is the Great Leveller: the most scurrilous, thoroughly bogus misinformation has the same status as the most time-tested, scientifically-established truth. It's left to algorithms to sort the "facts" from the facts. As we've seen in the rise of online fascism and antiscientific nonsense, even the most well-intentioned algorithms often produce horrific results.

Setting that aside for the moment, "creative writing" AI at its best tends to produce generic, homogenized text which sounds more and more believable but inevitably is still just a reshuffling of stuff other people have already said. It can be argued that all human creative writing is to some extent a reshuffling of what's been written a million times before. It seems to me that what AI lacks is the ability to make the illogical jumps that inspire story number 1,000,001 to be different from the rest.

I'm thinking of a story I wrote that was triggered by an emotional reaction to a single panel in a comic story. The combination of a drawing and one line of dialogue gave me an odd feeling. I wanted to express that feeling through a story of my own.  The first story wasn't a "source" in the AI sense. AI art programs manipulate and mash up source images to create a new work. Often bits of the source images are recognizable--leaving the artists who created the source images very unhappy. One couldn't find bits of the "source" story in the one I wrote because it had nothing to do with the original.

I suppose sooner or later AI will learn how to make the connections I describe. I'm unable to judge whether that will be a good thing. I am pretty sure though that in the meantime we'll be fed more and more generic material boiled down into an easily digested pablum. Which would be fine I suppose for genre fiction but not necessarily for medical advice. I suspect AI writing will be eagerly embraced by the Internet's two biggest players, the porn industry and authoritarian propagandists. The Daily Mail would be able to fire its entire staff!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2023, 06:14:46 PM »

the first and third image are variations on Superman's  imagry.
Very interesting. 
Cheers! 

Ha! Ha!  The day of the fawning, simpering YES MAN is over!!!!  Quit now, go back to school and learn a trade!  Your jobs will all be taken by AI programs who spout out stock positive feedback!!!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.