in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Howdy from Utah!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Howdy from Utah!  (Read 337 times)

Tyler Blake Art

message icon
Howdy from Utah!
« on: May 29, 2023, 03:52:24 PM »

Hi everyone,
  I'm new here, this place is great!  I have a horror webcomic, I found this place looking for public domain stories to adapt.  I've been drawing for  a little over 30 years and reading comics since I was a  little kid.  Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Howdy from Utah!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2023, 08:49:47 AM »

Hi everyone,
  I'm new here, this place is great!  I have a horror webcomic, I found this place looking for public domain stories to adapt.  I've been drawing for  a little over 30 years and reading comics since I was a  little kid.  Cheers!

Welcome Tyler!  The comic book reading community, especially fans of Golden Age comics, are always glad to have current artists write and draw new stories in the old-fashioned, classical style.  I hope that by "adapt", you mean draw new adventures adapting old characters, or writing and drawing sequels to old stories, rather than just drawing new versions of old stories.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 09:07:38 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2023, 10:21:27 AM »

Hi Tyler and welcome!
Plenty of art to look at and learn from herein!
Jump in and enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Tyler Blake Art

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 10:23:14 AM »

Quote from: Robb_K link=topic=23514.msg90601#m

sg90601 date=1686300587

Hi everyone,

Welcome Tyler!  The comic book reading community, especially fans of Golden Age comics, are always glad to have current artists write and draw new stories in the old-fashioned, classical style.  I hope that by "adapt", you mean draw new adventures adapting old characters, or writing and drawing sequels to old stories, rather than just drawing new versions of old stories.

Hi Robb!  I actually do mean doing a  new version of these classic stories.  I'm mostly adapting short prose stories from  Lovecraft, Poe, Robert E Howard, etc. and I thought  it would be fun to adapt some public domain  comics as well.  I've loved horror comics  since I was a little  child, which is  what lead meto do this inthe first place, but- I'm not a writer.  Adapting stories that have come before allows me to focus on the  art, which takes a considerable amount of time.  People have  told me for a while I have a 70's/80's horror style, so I'm leaning into that.   
ip icon Logged

Tyler Blake Art

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 10:29:44 AM »

Hi Tyler and welcome!
Plenty of art to look at and learn from herein!
Jump in and enjoy!

Thanks, it's good to be here!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 05:01:10 PM »

Quote from: Robb_K link=topic=23514.msg90601#m

sg90601 date=1686300587

Hi everyone,

Hi Robb!  I actually do mean doing a  new version of these classic stories.  I'm mostly adapting short prose stories from  Lovecraft, Poe, Robert E Howard, etc. and I thought  it would be fun to adapt some public domain  comics as well.  I've loved horror comics  since I was a little  child, which is  what led me to do this in the first place, but- I'm not a writer.  Adapting stories that have come before allows me to focus on the  art, which takes a considerable amount of time.  People have  told me for a while I have a 70's/80's horror style, so I'm leaning into that.

Thanks Tyler.   Any chance you could show us a sample page of your art style?
Could you show us
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2023, 11:56:35 PM »

I'm mostly adapting short prose stories from  Lovecraft, Poe, Robert E Howard, etc.

Tyler, you need to look at Prof's site - which is currently all about E.A. Poe's comic book and illustrated history. 
Here is the link to Prof's thread on CB+
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/?topic=5983.725

and here is the website address. and the latest post.
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2022/06/poe-1970-pt-5.html

enjoy!

ip icon Logged

Tyler Blake Art

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2023, 03:09:48 AM »

[/quote]
Could you show us
[/quote]
Hi  Robb,
  I seem to be having trouble posting images,but then I'm a technophobe.  For now I'm putting up a link to my comics site:

www.tylerblakeart.com 

I'm going to get this figured out, but in  the meantime, I'm going to redo the Lovecraft story to have   the same look (heavy black inks on  toned paper as the  Howard story.  I  was experimenting  with watercolor with that  first one.
ip icon Logged

Tyler Blake Art

message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2023, 03:11:55 AM »

I'm mostly adapting short prose stories from  Lovecraft, Poe, Robert E Howard, etc.

Tyler, you need to look at Prof's site - which is currently all about E.A. Poe's comic book and illustrated history. 
Here is the link to Prof's thread on CB+
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/?topic=5983.725

and here is the website address. and the latest post.
http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2022/06/poe-1970-pt-5.html

enjoy!

Thanks, that's awesome!  I saw your signature line, Alex Toth was a fantastic artist
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2023, 07:15:55 AM »

Could you show us
[/quote]
Hi  Robb,
  I seem to be having trouble posting images,but then I'm a technophobe.  For now I'm putting up a link to my comics site:

www.tylerblakeart.com 

I'm going to get this figured out, but in  the meantime, I'm going to redo the Lovecraft story to have   the same look (heavy black inks on  toned paper as the  Howard story.  I  was experimenting  with watercolor with that  first one.
[/quote]

I like your work.  You're brushwork has a light feel, and you are very good with light and shadow.  Your colour schemes are produce strong moods.  I like your high level of detail which gives your figures a strong injection of character.  It's not my favourite style for comic books, but I like it for paintings.  And I prefer well-drawn artwork in any medium, to the bulk of poor quality artwork in comic books.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.