in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,177 books
 New: 244 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Twinkle Comics 1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Twinkle Comics 1  (Read 184 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« on: June 15, 2023, 08:30:02 AM »

The comic isn't listed in the British guide.
Could the London distributor be Streamline, not Streamlined?
Streamline produced comics.
The price on the cover is odd. Most non anthology weeklies came in around 6d. 8d and 9d were usually the prices on Australian ballast comics.
The lack of indicia is not unknown in British comics. And even when one is printed, there is often very little info.

Link to the book: Twinkle Comics 1
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2023, 03:58:49 PM »

The price on the cover is odd. Most non anthology weeklies came in around 6d. 8d and 9d were usually the prices on Australian ballast comics.
The lack of indicia is not unknown in British comics. And even when one is printed, there is often very little info.

Thanks Paw.  Yes, the Streamline/Streamlined difference could just be a printer error.  As to the lack of indicia, the main thrust of preparation on the production of these books was devoted to the Canadian issue.  The Canadian publisher just was issuing the UK version as an adjunct project, to bring in more sales to make its publication viable economically.  Very little production work was added (perhaps only placing the UK/Ireland price on the front cover, making the distribution deal with Streamline, and shipping the printed UK issues to them.  As to the price, this early 1946 issue was one of the first US art source imports let into Canada after the wartime paper rationing rules were lifted, and the legal ban on magazine/comic book imports was lifted.  This was intended and first slated to be a quarterly issue, so, despite its relatively low page count, economically, it couldn't bear the low 6d price.  I'm guessing that as it was a full-colour US import, it must have been thought both by The Canadian publisher and Streamline, that readers would be willing to pay the higher price.  They found out differently, which is why this is such a rare book, and, as far as I know, only the this first issue was issued (or even printed).
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 06:13:00 AM »

In looking through some of my other Canadian comic books from that period (early 1946), I noticed an advert for Twinkle Comics #1 (among others handled by the same UK distributor), and noticed that the distributor of Twinkle 1 seems to have been changed to L. Miller & Son, Ltd, 342-344 Hackney Road, London E2.  The export agent changed as well.  So, perhaps Streamline only distributed Twinkle for a very short time.  Which might be why you never saw it.  Have you seen imported Canadian comic books distributed by L. Miller & Son?  They distributed, at least, all the Spotlight and Universal Comics Group, plus the prolific producer, Bell Features, who issued the comic book I am quoting, "Circus Parade". 
Here is the Indicia bar:

Here is the Canadian exporter's advert for the UK distributor's handled series: 

Did you ever see ANY of those titles as UK issues in your scrounging for used comic books?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 06:17:00 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2023, 07:34:50 AM »

As usual Robb, you've given me food for thought. Racking what's left of my memory, I'm stumped.  I feel sure I would have remembered some of those comics from the ad page.  But no.
Perhaps I'm conflating some comics I thought were Australlian with Canadian imports. It's so long ago.
Miller had his fingers in a lot of pies so distributing Canadian comics seems quite likely. 
I'll start digging, again. 
A lot of my contacts are too young to remember. 
Twinkle is really annoying me as I'm sure I've seen it somewhere not alll that long ago
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2023, 02:59:34 PM »

I think I can rule out Streamline as the distributor.  Streamline comics were published by Cardal, Manchester.  So Streamlined must be the correct distributor.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2023, 04:47:17 PM »

As usual Robb, you've given me food for thought. Racking what's left of my memory, I'm stumped.  I feel sure I would have remembered some of those comics from the ad page.  But no.
Perhaps I'm conflating some comics I thought were Australlian with Canadian imports. It's so long ago.
Miller had his fingers in a lot of pies so distributing Canadian comics seems quite likely. 
I'll start digging, again. 
A lot of my contacts are too young to remember. 
Twinkle is really annoying me as I'm sure I've seen it somewhere not all that long ago

Maybe you are simply remembering having seen the US issue's front cover on our CB+ Spotlight Publishing's main page?  It's almost identical to The Canadian cover, except instead of being red/orange it is a yellower tint of orange:

It was released in USA in late 1945, several months earlier than the Canadian and UK versions.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.