in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Spam Attack

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Spam Attack  (Read 633 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Spam Attack
« on: June 19, 2023, 07:21:50 PM »

We've been hit by a filthy spammer injecting redirect code into comments. It happened this afternoon, luckily I was online and saw it happening. So took the site off line after a bit.   

Took me ages to suss out what was going on.

I've disabled comments and removed their spam from the forum. Tomorrow I'll clean it all up and fill that little rat hole. I was sure we were safe from code inject on comments, but we will be now!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Spam Attack
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 06:06:28 AM »

We've been hit by a filthy spammer injecting redirect code into comments. It happened this afternoon, luckily I was online and saw it happening. So took the site off line after a bit.   

Took me ages to suss out what was going on.

I've disabled comments and removed their spam from the forum. Tomorrow I'll clean it all up and fill that little rat hole. I was sure we were safe from code inject on comments, but we will be now!

Thanks for keeping us protected, Mark.  A continuing problem like that has made several websites I used to frequent close down.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 07:48:11 AM »

Well done Mark.  Good you were on at the time.
I've caught a couple of spammers recently, deleted the posts and banned them but not as serious as you found.  The last one was in Cyrillic advertising plastic huts /houses? But what dangers might have lurked had anyone clicked the link?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 11:08:41 AM »

what dangers might have lurked had anyone clicked the link?

There is one absolute rule;- WHEN IN DOUBT, DON'T!
ip icon Logged

dwilt

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2023, 02:04:53 PM »

I noticed this when I clicked on "American Air Forces 8" and a weird site popped up.  Rather unwisely, I tried again on another book and then I finally figured out a hacker had been at work.  Sorry I didn't report it but I will if anything similar happens again.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2023, 04:27:55 PM »

Yes I REALLY hate spammers / hackers.  They can't use that trick again!

Also I have limited comments you can make on books to one every 10 minutes. BUT you can edit existing ones you posted. So if you have made a mistake on a comment you can alter that straightaway. Should not be any inconvenience.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.