in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wiseman - Tumbleweeds

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wiseman - Tumbleweeds  (Read 408 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Wiseman - Tumbleweeds
« on: June 20, 2023, 11:05:00 AM »

Wiseman posted,
Hi, sorry to go off topic, but I am looking for reprints of Tumbleweed by Tom Ryan published in Australia. Judging from your pseudonym, you are the best person to answer my request. Thank you in advance. 

Robb posted,
Welcome Wiseman,
I assume you intended to directing this towards Australian Panther (who has made several posts on this thread).  He's the one with The Phantom Avatar.  Maybe he'll see this post from you, but 90% of this post is my uploaded photos and writing, so he may not notice it.  If I were you, I 'd also place your request in our "Comics From Around The World" thread, inside our "Comic Talk" section.  Australian Panther is bound to see it there, and there are several other members who know a fair bit about Australian Comics.   

Hoo Boy!
First, my Avatar, as you can see at the left, is the Australian character the Panther.
The one with the Phantom Avatar is Paw Broon. and that name should clue you that he is from Scotland, not Australia.
Second, Tumbleweeds is an American newspaper strip. The name should be a clue.
Here is the official Tumbleweeds website.
https://www.oocities.org/weedscomic/
Third, there are many collections of Tumbleweed available, as seen here.   
Tumbleweed by Tom Ryan
https://www.qwant.com/?t=images&q=Tumbleweed+by+Tom+Ryan
You will also note that they are published in the US by Fawcett pub. and most of them are available on EBay.
Forth, if, as I rather suspect, you meant that you were looking for Australian editions of these collections, 
there were a number of them, but if memory serves they were Black and white and on cheap paper.
If I were you I would go for the US collections.
I hope that clears that up!            

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Wiseman - Tumbleweeds
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 06:00:23 PM »

Wiseman posted,
Hi, sorry to go off topic, but I am looking for reprints of Tumbleweed by Tom Ryan published in Australia. Judging from your pseudonym, you are the best person to answer my request. Thank you in advance. 

Robb posted,
Welcome Wiseman,
I assume you intended to directing this towards Australian Panther (who has made several posts on this thread).  He's the one with The Phantom Avatar.  Maybe he'll see this post from you, but 90% of this post is my uploaded photos and writing, so he may not notice it.  If I were you, I 'd also place your request in our "Comics From Around The World" thread, inside our "Comic Talk" section.  Australian Panther is bound to see it there, and there are several other members who know a fair bit about Australian Comics.   

Hoo Boy!
First, my Avatar, as you can see at the left, is the Australian character the Panther.
The one with the Phantom Avatar is Paw Broon. and that name should clue you that he is from Scotland, not Australia.
Second, Tumbleweeds is an American newspaper strip. The name should be a clue.
Here is the official Tumbleweeds website.
https://www.oocities.org/weedscomic/
Third, there are many collections of Tumbleweed available, as seen here.   
Tumbleweed by Tom Ryan
https://www.qwant.com/?t=images&q=Tumbleweed+by+Tom+Ryan
You will also note that they are published in the US by Fawcett pub. and most of them are available on EBay.
Forth, if, as I rather suspect, you meant that you were looking for Australian editions of these collections, 
there were a number of them, but if memory serves they were Black and white and on cheap paper.
If I were you I would go for the US collections.
I hope that clears that up!            

Ha! Ha!  That just shows how little I know about the superhero and caped crusader genre of comics, and my senility in forgetting what The Phantom looks like, and forgetting that it is Paw who has The Phantom avatar, even though I was a big phantom reader and fan 50-65 years ago, and I see Paw's and your avatar every day!  I didn't know there was an Australian comics character named Panther, and my feeble memory merged the two masked and caped crusaders into one.  When looking at both together, I see that they are VERY different in body thickness and uniform style, and colour.  Who could imagine that someone like me, with a photographic memory, and still remembering thousands of unimportant details about 80 year old comics, could forget such famous facts, that have been re-inforced thousands of times, and such obvious differences???

I remembered the US newspaper strip, but thought Wiseman was referring to a different, Australian character from Australian comic books.  Perhaps I was secretly hoping that there had been a 1950s Australian series with a USA Western-style feel, that had its setting in The Australian Outback, about a travelling migrant sheep shearer, by an artist with a style similar to Joliffe, that would provide me the joy of a new great series to read and download for my collection?  ;D
ip icon Logged

wiseman

message icon
Re: Wiseman - Tumbleweeds
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 08:55:57 PM »

I am working on a complete reissue of Tumbleweeds - a U.S. newspaper comic strip written and drawn by Tom K. Ryan (1926-2019) from 1965 to 2007, in my opinion a true masterpiece of humor - which I am gradually presenting on the British Comics website under the pseudonym Mulo Kibizer.  So far I have retrieved all the daily strips from 1965 to 1992 and the Sunday strips from 1977 to 1987, drawing from online collections of U.S. newspapers and adapting Italian reprints. I am very familiar with and own the U.S. reprints, which are not useful to me because they are deficient, lack publication dates, and offer only daily strips. I understand instead that the Australian reprints are chronological and integral, even of the Sunday pages, which are the hardest to find. Thanks anyway.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.