in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

R.I P. Jim Vadeboncoeur

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: R.I P. Jim Vadeboncoeur  (Read 965 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
R.I P. Jim Vadeboncoeur
« on: July 09, 2023, 03:48:31 AM »

:-[ I just learned from Bob Napier that my old pal Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr (known here as JVJ) has passed away. Jim has been fighting--and overcoming--major health challenges for years, but this time they finally got him. Jim was a close friend, a teacher of comics history, and a boon companion in book hunts and late-night artist spotting sessions. On the larger stage he was one of the late 20th century's most important historians and researchers of American comic artists and Golden Age illustrators. His knowledge was encyclopedic. We lost touch about the time he first moved to France, though I did manage to reconnect briefly a couple of years ago. Then health issues took him out of circulation. I wish I'd had one last chance to bid him goodbye. Here's to you, Jim, I'll value your friendship forever.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: R.I P. Jim Vadeboncoeur
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 08:41:16 AM »

Very sad news.  He was a very generous man, who touched a lot of peoples lives.  A lot of comic book fans owe him a great debt.  He'll be remembered by many, many people.  My condolences to his family and close friends.  He'll be sorely missed by a lot of comic book fans, and I dare say, probably a lot of other people, too.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 02:15:07 PM »

As Robb says, very sad news.  Some of our members knew JVJ, worked with him, and respected his knowledge and work as historian and researcher. 
Despite the occasional notes between us, I was only really on the receiving end of his help, particularly a very polite "correction" for some remarks I made about Simon and Kirby.  Something crash didn't touch on was JVJ's interest in food when he moved to France.  We saw eye to eye on some dishes and were exact opposites on others.
Jim will be greatly missed.  Good guys like him don't come along that often.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 04:04:13 PM »

Hi guys,
It's very sad, but sadly not a shock to hear of Jim's passing.  His health issues were considerable the last few years and he wasn't a young man by the end.

DCM has started a JVJ Remembrances topic at this link which includes a selection of pictures and portraits he shared on his Facebook pages.
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,15558.msg84682.html#msg84682

I encourage all the JVJ Project members to please add their thoughts to the topic.

And you can see history being made right here back on September 19, 2008, when he asked if GAC members would like to help scan some of his many comics!

Lots of Comics but no time!  -  https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=856.msg5879#msg5879

I was the first to reply and cursed being stuck in Canada making my direct participation financially impossible but I am proud to have played a small part in helping quarterback the JVJ PROJECT as we called it.

The first book scanned was Buster Brown #1 by JonTheScanner at this link:
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=6580

You can see a list of the 'JVJ Archive' of books shared on CB+ at this link:
https://comicbookplus.com/?cbplus=jvjarchive_s_s_0

RIP Jim, you were a godsend to all comic fans out there.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 01:34:28 AM »

Obviously I didn't know him, but looking at the photos, I have his book on Kintsler, for which I am in his debt, and for which I also didn't pay any where near as much as $40.00,. Having trouble trying to remember if  ever did.   
ip icon Logged

Dave Hayward

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 04:57:11 AM »

I had the pleasure of editing some of the scans of his comics collection and was always amazed by the scope of subjects covered, plus the fact that he generously and more importantly trusted virtual 'strangers' with huge numbers of books for the project to work, simply because he had them and he could. No thought of reward, other than sharing them with like-mined people.

A good person indeed and as I subsequently learned, extremely knowledgeable, something else that he freely shared with others and helped spread his passion worldwide.

Rest in peace, Jim. You'll be sadly missed by comics fans everywhere.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 06:43:31 PM »

When I joined this site a few years back, and saw Jim Vadeboncoeur’s name it was like hitting the jackpot. I had first heard of him thanks to his work on Eclipse’s SEDUCTION OF THE INNOCENT series, featuring Standard/Pines work. All the issues were great, most with Alex Toth covers. It seemed like such an obvious title for a pre-code comic line. He’d write comments on the stories published. They were entertaining and educational in equal parts. WEIRD ROMANCE, for instance, broke down just how big romance comics were. I messaged him a couple of times to talk over the series. He was very gracious and generous with his time, and showed himself to be a kind and highly moral man.

Hanging around here, I got to understand what a prodigious collector and accomplished art spotter he was. His work and knowledge were impressive. You have to wonder what happens to that collection now.

UPDATE: movielover messaged me and told me the collection was dispersed long ago. Being both a youngster around here and just a guy in the street who likes comics, I figured I pass the info along in case someone else didn't know

Smooth sailing on the long voyage home, sir.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 03:55:22 AM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2023, 04:25:40 PM »

Two excellent posts were added to the DCM "JVJ Remembrances" topic
https://digitalcomicmuseum.com/forum/index.php/topic,15558.msg84682.html#msg84682

The first from Dr. Michael J. Vassallo (DOC V), the preeminent expert on Timely Comics and all things Martin Goodman published.  Doc shares about his time artist spotting with JVJ and Hames Ware.

Then a wonderful post by JVJ Project member Tilliban who visited with Jim at his home in Paris several times.

Both post are great reads and quite touching.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.