in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mmm--Delicious!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mmm--Delicious!  (Read 177 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Mmm--Delicious!
« on: July 12, 2023, 01:26:36 AM »

An odd thing happened. I am cleaning out the Garage of Doom--30 years of stuff. One of my discoveries was that rats had paid me a visit. When the dogs we were hosting moved to San Diego I plumb forgot about a big sack of kibble hidden behind a chair in the garage. When I moved the chair I found the rodents had reduced the huge sack to a small pile of shredded paper and ratty poo. The little dears also managed to get onto one of my bookshelves, and that's where the "odd" starts.

The rats chewed an inch and a half off the fore edge of two magazines and so thoroughly devoured a third that I had a hard time figuring out what it once was. The three magazines were: a 1936 issue of Commercial Art magazine, an 1898 issue of Life, and the 1893 dime novel Frank Reade, Jr.'s New Electric Submarine Boat, The Explorer. It was poor Frank who was mutilated almost beyond recognition.

The strange thing is that the rats ignored a number of other magazines--these from the period 1960-1990--as well as a variety of books. I wonder what it was about those three items that the beasts found so tasty. The Commercial Art issue was on coated stock, the Life on bright good-quality paper, and the dime novel on newsprint. What could be their common ingredient that was missing from newer paper? I wanted to ask the rats but they'd hit the road after finishing their feast. We didn't even have to call the exterminator.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mmm--Delicious!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2023, 06:23:02 AM »

What could be their common ingredient that was missing from newer paper?   

Did you ever think that there might be a common ingredient that was added to newer paper?

I dread cleaning out my Garage for fear I will find the same thing.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mmm--Delicious!
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2023, 03:59:01 PM »

What could be their common ingredient that was missing from newer paper?   

Did you ever think that there might be a common ingredient that was added to newer paper?

I dread cleaning out my Garage for fear I will find the same thing.
Cheers!

Maybe just a pinch of rat poison?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.