in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Clue_Comics_012

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Clue_Comics_012  (Read 2393 times)

Mindshadow

• VIP
message icon
Clue_Comics_012
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:03:51 PM »

When I try to look at Clue Comics 012 (Hillman Pub) partway through the story entitled " A Cop Is Born" I get a message saying that the archive is broken and then the comic abruptly ends. Normally I wouldn't bother to read this particular issue except that it has the last Boy King story ever. However I cannot read this particular story as it is beyond where the comic stops. does anyone have an idea as to what is going on here and how to fix it?

On another note, in the Canadian comics section there are at least seven issues of "Grand Slam Comics/Grand Slam Three Aces Comics" by Anglo-American Publishing Company Limited. Also the three issues (32-34) we have of Robin Hood And Company are by the same company. Should these be put into a separate subsection?

Finally, has there been any word of the copyright status of of my copy of Cooee Comics 004?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Clue_Comics_012
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:18:40 PM »

When I try to look at Clue Comics 012 (Hillman Pub) partway through the story entitled " A Cop Is Born" I get a message saying that the archive is broken and then the comic abruptly ends. Normally I wouldn't bother to read this particular issue except that it has the last Boy King story ever. However I cannot read this particular story as it is beyond where the comic stops. does anyone have an idea as to what is going on here and how to fix it?

This is a gianormous file!!!  :o :o :o  Of course I had no problem opening it (one of my mutant powers), but if someone (say, a non-VIP) would take it upon themselves to resize it, I might just make it worth their while.  ;)

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:39:09 PM »

Anglo American sub-cat created. We need someone familiar with Australian copyright to confirm if Cooee is OK. I think we would be OK with but please PM Janus for final approval.
ip icon Logged

Mindshadow

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »

Anglo American sub-cat created. We need someone familiar with Australian copyright to confirm if Cooee is OK. I think we would be OK with but please PM Janus for final approval.

Thanks guys, I'm always happy to help.

Speaking of which, why does the the comic cover of "Small Press and Unsorted Files" and "Story Comics" both have have the same introductory picture/comic cover on them. Both categories have the same issue of "Mysterious adventures" right under the main link. Should the picture in the unsorted files be changed to something different but no less striking?

In the Canadian comics section I noticed some things were wrong. Three Aces Comics issues 31 and v4 003 are by Anglo-American Publications and thus need to be put in that sub category.

Finally why are Lucky Comics v1 008 and Rocket Comics 05 (by Maple Leaf Press) outside of Superior, when Maple Leaf Press is obviously an imprint of Superior Publications?
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »

Clue Comics #12 re-compressed down to a svelte 32Mb, and re-upped for your viewing pleasure!   8)
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 02:59:36 AM »

Clue Comics #12 re-compressed down to a svelte 32Mb, and re-upped for your viewing pleasure!   8)

Bless you. You've just made a ton of people happy!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

Maximilian

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 03:30:20 AM »

Builderboy, would mind going through the process for us on how exactly you recompressed the file? I have a few ginormous files that need this done. thanks
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 04:59:54 PM »

No problem. I first rename the comic-reader file's extension to an archive format (from either cbr to rar or cbz to zip), then expand the archive file's contents into a folder.  I open each of the files in Photoshop, and do a 'Save for the Web' (cntrl+alt+shft+S), which opens up a new window showing the file as a recompressed jpeg, with a settings box that lets you pick the compression ratio, from "0" (totally compressed) to "100" (no compression). It will tell you the ultimate file size of the recompressed image and previews how the image will look, so I fool around with the compression ratio that yields an image size of ~500-800Kb, making sure the image doesn't look overly compressed (grainy or blocky).

I run through the entire folder of original images, and save the compressed images in a new folder. When I am done, I go to the new image folder, highlight all files, right click and select 'create archive'.  This creates either a rar or zip file (you choose which, doesn't matter), which you then rename to either a cbz or cbr.

Voila! A smaller, kinder comic.  Be careful, tho. Compression degrades the images quality. Overly compressed images are hard to read, and once the quality is lost, it cannot be restored.  Try to strike a balance between file size and quality.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 08:42:21 PM by builderboy »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.