in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A Non-Phantom or Mandrake the Magician Comic?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A Non-Phantom or Mandrake the Magician Comic?  (Read 3031 times)

Mindshadow

• VIP
message icon
A Non-Phantom or Mandrake the Magician Comic?
« on: August 22, 2010, 10:27:31 PM »

I have a comic called " Phantom Ranger #2 and I was wondering, since it was made by Frew Publications today's do own the copyrights to this obscure comic? I have this comic ready to go and all I need is the go-ahead? This comic would go in the Australian/UK section.

Info: 25 pages + ads, fc, bc. The Phantom Ranger in " the Great Payroll Robbery". This comic is one long story and the advertisement for the Phantom probably needs to be removed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:54:26 PM by Mindshadow »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: A Non-Phantom or Mandrake the Magician Comic?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 01:23:41 AM »

Isn't Australian copyright 50 years after creators death? If so does it apply here. Frew reprints their stuff continuously. Is Streamline still in business?
ip icon Logged

Mindshadow

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 03:10:40 AM »

"The Phantom had leaped ahead of most of the opposition and plans were laid to publish other titles, including three Australian-made titles: The Shadow, Sir Falcon and Phantom Ranger. A scanned selection of these old comics is available on CD-ROM from Roger Stitson (authorised by Frew Publications). Many American titles were also published, and the total number of Frew titles peaked at about 30 in the mid-1950s." Info from: http://www.deepwoods.org/frew.html

You can buy The Shadow (not the Street and Smith's version) , Sir Falcon, and Phantom Ranger at:  http://www.rmsed.com.au/cd-romcom.htm  :-\
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 07:48:08 AM »

I'd love to see this and some other Aus. titles on GAC.  To my knowledge, Phantom Ranger has not been reprinted and the only way to read it is to search for back issues, which are quite hard to find.  Problem might be that The Panther was re-done a few years ago, so I'm assuming copyright was renewed on that title or character. And it is difficult to find out who owns what. The only Frew title still running is The Phantom, which reprints old American strips and comics and Scandinavian translations from Egmont.
How good would it be to host the Australian Captain Atom, Raven, Green Skeleton. Cap. Havoc and the Phantom Knight and piles more on GAC?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »

Paw if you can find someone who knows how to check Aussie PD status it would be much appreciated. We would love to carry the books but do not want any problems so they need to be confirmed PD.
ip icon Logged

Mindshadow

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 03:17:03 PM »

Hey paw broon, any info on the Green Skeleton I can't find anything on him, just a pic: http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/g/grenskel.htm.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 06:34:02 PM »

Mindshadow, Green Skeleton is pretty obscure by anyone's definition but I will have a rake through my own stuff and some computer files and get back to you.  I have a reprint somewhere and an electronic copy of an Aussie comic featuring same.  Just need a wee bit of time.
I've mentioned Internationl Hero before on GAC and it bears repeating that, although a good resource (to which I have contributed) as with all excercises of this scale, errors creep in. It's very worthwhile just, occasionally, not quite accurate.  Not necessarily because of the info. from contributors but in the conversion to the e-page
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:05:25 AM »

Okey dokey, here's a page:-
L=http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/masquerouge/?action=view&current=gs001116.jpg][/URL]
Hope this works!!!!!
Green Skeleton was a Frew publication and lasted 4 issues.  Colour cover and b&w insides.  We never find out his real name.  The page is from a British reprint comic, "Grand Comic Album" published by Murray Sales and Service co., London.  No date and costing 2/6 in old money (about 12&1/2 new pence)  a typical album of a few coverless comics bound together.  All from Australian originals and Aus. reprints of American comics.  Other stories incl.Kid Eternity;Kid Champion; Scoop Scott and a couple of humour strips.

Early days but trying to find out more re. Aussie copyright.  Bugger all to report yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:07:51 AM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.