in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #302 - Invisible People

Pages: [1] 2 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #302 - Invisible People  (Read 1624 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #302 - Invisible People
« on: July 23, 2023, 10:43:36 PM »

Hi everyone

Three selections this time, all involving invisible people.

The Invisible Man (Fantastic Adventures #18)

This is an adaptation of the story by H.G. Wells and it takes up the whole comic book.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30499

Panther found a better scan after I'd already posted. It has a different cover, but is otherwise the same. So if you haven't downloaded it yet, you might prefer this link:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=12005

The Invisible Boy (Approved Comics #2)

This contains four stories featuring the Invisible Boy, including the origin story. There are also some one-page educational features.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=19048

Invisible Scarlet O’Neil #3

I see that you looked at Issue #1 of Scarlet O’Neil back in 2014, but I’m hoping that you don’t mind looking at a different issue, as I thought it was interesting. The main story takes up most of the comic, with a few brief snippets thrown in.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20997

I’d be interested to know what you think of the stories themselves, as well as the different approaches to ‘showing’ invisibility in the art.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 03:43:43 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #302 - Invisible People
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2023, 01:37:53 AM »

The Invisible Man

Good old Israel Walden! Right or wrong, I owe him for introducing me to the world's greatest characters in comics. The Spirit, Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, Doll Man, The Blue Beetle and so many others turned up in his cheap knock-off reprints and brought the young me great enjoyment and excitement. So I have to assume that this is another one of his dubious ventures, though I don't know who published the original version.

Sadly, the art is so drab and unimaginative that it sucks every drop of life out of the story. Compare it to the cover (perhaps by Ross Andru? I'm willing to accept any more likely suggestions!) The cover has movement, danger, and excitement in abundance, but poor old Pete Morisi, if it is he, misses chance after chance to depict tension, fright, confrontation, shock, horror, anguish, and everything else the tale has to offer.

Oh well, it's only a comic, just for kids, and I'm sure it was never intended to be read by such a fussy old fart as yours truly.  Let's move on... ;)

All the best
K1ngcat

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2023, 02:43:28 AM »

Personal Aside - Yes, QQ i should have guessed, good enough clue!

I see that you looked at Issue #1 of Scarlet O’Neil back in 2014, but I’m hoping that you don’t mind looking at a different issue 

For those who don't know, Scarlet O'Neil was originally a newspaper strip and we have some of those here.
Here are 4 Sunday strips.
Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1943 (Sundays)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=15172
Fascinating strip! I wish we had the whole collection!

Good old Israel Walden! Right or wrong, I owe him for introducing me to the world's greatest characters in comics. The Spirit, Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, Doll Man, The Blue Beetle and so many others 

I concur, Kingcat - Walden opened up a whole new world for me!

the cover (perhaps by Ross Andru? 

Absolutely Ross Andru - who moonlighted at Marvel as Mickey Demeo. A collection of Ross's covers for Walden would be interesting.
Here is the original book, which we also have.
Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man
This is_
A better scan and a better cover, signed by Pete Morisi who did the inside.
And yes, Kingcat. it is relatively flat and I put that down to whoever supplied the script.
I always enjoy Pete Morisi's work.   

Cheers!

« Last Edit: July 24, 2023, 02:52:59 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2023, 03:46:39 AM »

Personal Aside - Yes, QQ i should have guessed, good enough clue!

I see that you looked at Issue #1 of Scarlet O’Neil back in 2014, but I’m hoping that you don’t mind looking at a different issue 

For those who don't know, Scarlet O'Neil was originally a newspaper strip and we have some of those here.
Here are 4 Sunday strips.
Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 1943 (Sundays)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=15172
Fascinating strip! I wish we had the whole collection!

Here is the original book, which we also have.
Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man
This is_
A better scan and a better cover, signed by Pete Morisi who did the inside.

Thanks Panther. I did notice there was also a Scarlet O'Neil strip, but I haven't checked it out yet. I thought she was an interesting character. And thanks too for the alternate link to the Invisible Man. I've added that to my original post.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2023, 03:51:42 AM »

The Invisible Man

Good old Israel Walden! Right or wrong, I owe him for introducing me to the world's greatest characters in comics. The Spirit, Plastic Man, Phantom Lady, Doll Man, The Blue Beetle and so many others turned up in his cheap knock-off reprints and brought the young me great enjoyment and excitement. So I have to assume that this is another one of his dubious ventures, though I don't know who published the original version.

Sadly, the art is so drab and unimaginative that it sucks every drop of life out of the story. Compare it to the cover (perhaps by Ross Andru? I'm willing to accept any more likely suggestions!) The cover has movement, danger, and excitement in abundance, but poor old Pete Morisi, if it is he, misses chance after chance to depict tension, fright, confrontation, shock, horror, anguish, and everything else the tale has to offer.

Oh well, it's only a comic, just for kids, and I'm sure it was never intended to be read by such a fussy old fart as yours truly.  Let's move on... ;)

All the best
K1ngcat

LOL K1ngcat, and here I was carefully avoiding Charlton comics with the faint hope you might like this one  :D You're right that it probably doesn't have as much drama and tension in the art as it could. I was listening to the audiobook a while ago and it certainly had a lot of drama. Maybe Joe Kubert could have done better. The writing also lacks a lot of the tension that's in the original, though I guess it's hard to convey all of that in a 36-page comic.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2023, 02:01:32 AM »

The Invisible Boy

An irresponsible old boffin invites a child to play in a roomful of dangerous chemicals. An irresponsible old boffin who's already cracked the alchemist's secret of turning base metals into gold and hasn't used it to enrich himself? And then lets proof of that power out to a dangerous criminal, rather than have the gunsel insult his ability as a chemist? And this is all written by one of the guys who created Superman.

I just paused for a moment to let that sink in.

Actually IMHO Jerry Seigel was one of those people who happened to be in the right place at the right time. At one stage he took over the writing chores for a UK comics character called The Spider, who up to that point was a super-villain who could've easily kicked the ass of Dr. Doom, and transformed him into some kind of sappy do-gooder, killing the character stone dead. Thanks, Jer. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spider_(British_comics)

But I digress.

In the second story the kid, now in control of his invisibility,  chooses to let fly with a machine gun, I'm hoping he missed all the cops and bystanders. In the third story he uses his powers for his own gratification, to impress a girl. Only finally, in the fourth story, does he use his powers for the good of mankind. Perhaps it's all an intended story arc, showing how he learns to grow up and use his great powers with great responsibility, like Spider Man. Or maybe it's all just careless scripting. And don't get me started about the art, you know what a fussy old fart I am.

Sadly we don't have any more issues of Invisible Boy to see where this was all going. It's an interesting steal of Wells's concept, and I suppose reasonably wholesome, but it takes more to float my creaky old boat.

Sorry QQ, nothing personal and no harm intended, I know I'm notoriously hard to please. Looking forward to the next one...  ;)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2023, 08:33:54 AM »

The Invisible Boy

An irresponsible old boffin invites a child to play in a roomful of dangerous chemicals. An irresponsible old boffin who's already cracked the alchemist's secret of turning base metals into gold and hasn't used it to enrich himself? And then lets proof of that power out to a dangerous criminal, rather than have the gunsel insult his ability as a chemist? And this is all written by one of the guys who created Superman.

I just paused for a moment to let that sink in.

Actually IMHO Jerry Seigel was one of those people who happened to be in the right place at the right time. At one stage he took over the writing chores for a UK comics character called The Spider, who up to that point was a super-villain who could've easily kicked the ass of Dr. Doom, and transformed him into some kind of sappy do-gooder, killing the character stone dead. Thanks, Jer. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Spider_(British_comics)

Hi K1ngcat

Well you've told me something I didn't even notice. I didn't check the info panel underneath the comic and didn't know that Jerry Siegel wrote the script. I'm a big fan of classic Superman (I own three hardback compilation volumes) and therefore a fan of Siegel and Shuster. The comic has just gone up in my estimation.

Sorry, it's not your cup of tea. Maybe you'll like Scarlet O'Neil better  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2023, 04:46:54 PM »

Superior Stories 1 - The Invisible Man - Drawn by Pete Morisi
This was a major disappointment to me because I have been, since my childhood, a huge fan of H.G. Wells, and that book is one of my favourites.  Also, I have for about as long, or a bit longer, a big fan of the 1933 US film, starring Claude Raines.  I agree with kingcat that this comic book version's artwork is very bland, not dramatic in the least, and Morisi seems not to have the foggiest idea of what southern England (specially Sussex, looks like.  There are no high hills or low mountains on that relatively flat seacoast area where the village of Iping is located. The buildings look wrong, both outside and in.  The peoples' faces are too much the same, and too "good looking", and show too little emotion, when surprise, shock, fear, apprehension, and relief are needed.   I never felt that I was even in England, let alone a village and/or town in Sussex.  The action scenes are flat, rather than animated.  The figures just don't look enough like they are moving fast, in haste, and the camera angles and character poses leave a lot to be desired.

In addition, the story, itself, did not have the imaginative literary power of Wells' expressive text, which evoked very vivid images of the local settings, characters and their emotions.  That might come from it being cramped into such a paucity of pages, or in the adapting scriptor in choice of which dialogues and narratives to put in.

It doesn't seem even remotely as good as The Classics Illustrated style. 

I hope i will like the two other choices a lot more by comparison.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:52:32 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »

Approved Comics 2 - The Invisible Boy
I agree with Kingcat that the set-up of this character's origin and the stories and some characters in this book are poorly-thought out, and are fraught with problems, making it difficult to accept, even as a fantasy creation.
The scientist, for example, is ridiculously lax, reckless, irresponsible, and downright stupid.  He blunders upon a formula that turns ordinary metals into gold, and doesn't even think of using it to become rich. He reveals that great power to a criminal, jeopardising The World's economic system.  And his worst offence was leaving a very young adolescent alone to play or "experiment" with the pick of all his chemicals, many being very dangerous in  combination with others.

The artwork is okay, but nothing special.  The colouring is average.  The stories have some action, with this boy using his newfound invisibility to become a hero a couple times, solving criminal cases, helping out his father, the police chief.  But, I didn't expect him to use it to win the girl of his choice away from a sappy rival. In that same story, the colourist made a grievous error, thinking Danny was Percy, despite the girl addressing Danny by his name, and so he received brown hair instead of blond, and Percy's blue tie, instead of his own red tie.  I wonder why he didn't notice that Percy previously wore glasses? As a colourist in Ink& Paint, I always checked the characters and background items to make sure they were consistent.

All in all these stories had some faulty logic that hurt them.  And, after vowing, along with The Professor, to use the power of invisibility to fight against evil, to use it in a petty way to win the attention of a girl back from that of his bitter rival, would only hurt his standing as a potential superhero in the eyes of readers.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 06:44:30 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2023, 01:24:50 AM »

I agree with Kinglet that the set-up of this character's origin and the stories and some characters in this book are poorly-thought out, and are fraught with problems, making it difficult to accept, even as a fantasy creation.
The scientist, for example, is ridiculously lax, reckless, irresponsible, and downright stupid.  He blunders upon a formula that turns ordinary metals into gold, and doesn't even think of using it to become rich. He reveals that great power to a criminal, jeopardising The World's economic system.  And his worst offence was leaving a very young adolescent alone to play or "experiment" with the pick of all his chemicals, many being very dangerous in  combination with others.

The artwork is okay, but nothing special.  The colouring is average.  The stories have some action, with this boy using his newfound invisibility to become a hero a couple times, solving criminal cases, helping out his father, the police chief.  But, I didn't expect him to use it to win the girl of his choice away from a sappy rival.

Kinglet? Seriously, Robb, am I being downsized?  ;D
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2023, 01:28:53 AM »

The Invisible Scarlet O'Neil

Well now, this is certainly more to my liking! You can see quite a bit of our hard-to-see heroine here on CB+ and I've  read some of her adventures before. The similarity to Dick Tracy strips is immediately noticeable, so it's no surprise that creator Russell Stamm was previously an assistant to Chester Gould. The villains are very much in the same mould, Mr Malignant could've easily rubbed shoulders with the likes of Flat-Top or The Brow, and his would-be henchman Hunky also looks like a Gould product. The writing is well paced and the art, like Gould's, shows just what you need to see to advance the narrative.

I've found a lot of stuff on the net that suggests Scarlet is America's first super-powered heroine, and I don't know enough to argue with that, so check out these links for more info:
https://www.hoganmag.com/blog/not-seen-but-not-forgotten-the-invisible-scarlet-oneil
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/russell-stamm/4040-64660/
and it's interesting to find her origin story takes up just four panels of the strip. Now that's economy!

I note that by the time this comic was issued, Scarlet no longer had to press her wrist to activate her invisibility, though I also note it wasn't above giving us a quick shot of Scarlet in her unmentionables just to keep the boys interested. Anyway, the result is very enjoyable and quite gripping. Scarlet, invisible or not, is a great heroine, beautiful, intelligent, self-assured and valiant, and this newspaper strip has been edited to neatly fit into a 32 page comic, with some supporting material from the irrepressible Bob Powell. It's a win-win situation!

I was amused to see the ukulele ad featuring Dick Tracy supporting character Sparkle Plenty, though I'd like to know more about the "animal head position dots." And I'm amazed by the hokum advertising the Amazing Sun Watch, particularly the secretly concealed weather forecaster and the world's smallest ball point pen, which writes thousands of words (as long as they're very short words! )

Kudos, QQ, this choice is beyond beautiful , thanks for sharing it with us.

See, I'm not always a curmudgeon!
All the best
K1ngcat

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 06:15:12 AM »

I agree with Kinglet that the set-up of this character's origin and the stories and some characters in this book are poorly-thought out, and are fraught with problems, making it difficult to accept, even as a fantasy creation.

The artwork is okay, but nothing special.  The colouring is average.  The stories have some action, with this boy using his newfound invisibility to become a hero a couple times, solving criminal cases, helping out his father, the police chief.  But, I didn't expect him to use it to win the girl of his choice away from a sappy rival.

Kinglet? Seriously, Robb, am I being downsized?  ;D

Bloody awful spell-checking programs!!!  They never heard of Kingcat!    :o
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

EHowie60

message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 04:48:52 AM »

Invisible people! This is an interesting theme week, should be fun.

Superior Stories #1/Fantastic Adventures #18
Good call to start with the classic! I do agree that the Fantastic Adventures cover is much more dynamic. I can't remember if I've read The Invisible Man before, let's see if it feels familiar. The story really moves along fast, I think the process of adapting it to a comic book has messed up the pacing. The Invisible Man's goals seem to escalate quickly. From continuing his work to theft to terrorizing a town! I think I haven't read the original after all, I dont remember any of the plot points. I expected the story to be a "misunderstood monster" type deal, but the Invisible Man is kind of a jerk the whole time. The art is decent though.

The Invisible Boy
By Siegel himself? Poor guy, wish he had been better able to keep those Superman rights.
"Never touch this one formula! Everything else in my 1950s chemistry lab is of course perfectly safe for children!" And of course Danny heroically charges in to save the day and gets secret formula dumped on his head. Good thing the professor has the antidote, and Danny embarks on his life of crime fighting!

Terror in the Streets! Danny leaps into action by...firing a machine gun at the police! I love the scared faces of the crook Danny intimidates. Very expressive. And of course since this is a 50s comic our villains are organized crime and those Commie Reds. Danny saves the day!

Magic Manners lowers the stakes down to "shenanigans" as Danny takes on the haughty Percy. A little...uh...tickling...and Danny gets the girl!

A Haunting We Shall Go! Counterfeiters using a fake ghost routine. I would have thought they'd play up the fake haunting for longer, but it's revealed after only a page.

Invisible Scarlett O'Neil
I like the faces on the crooks. All full of lines and squiggles, not like our clean cut heroes! I especially enjoy the smirking boss on Page 9. Makes sense that our artist was an assistant on Dick Tracy. O'Neil is a fun character. A real woman of action, an underrepresented but not absent character type in these books. And of course the perils of invisibility... she doesn't get credit for stopping the gang!

Now, per QQ's suggestion, let's take a look at how the books depict invisibility. In The Invisible Man, the title character isn't drawn, just the objects and people he interacts with. There's just a little starburst where his speech bubble comes from. This makes sense to me. The Invisible Man is the villain here, after all. His actions are supposed to be mysterious and scary for the reader, so they're not shown.

The Invisible Boy has the same sort of depiction given to Sue Storm in Fantastic Four. He's drawn as transparent, slightly blue line art. Danny is the protagonist, so it's important that the reader is able to see what he's doing.

Scarlett O'Neil uses a similar technique, only without the faint blue tinge. Honestly I think it's a little less successful this way. O'Neil stands out less, so panels with her in them feel a bit flat. At least the line work is solid.

This was a fun theme for a week's reading and a good set of books. I think I liked April O'Neil the best out of all of them. Thanks for choosing these, QQ!

-EHowie60
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2023, 08:55:11 AM »

EHowie60,

Check your PMs [Personal Messages]
cheers!
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2023, 04:54:31 PM »

Q.Q.: this was a great idea for a theme; trying to express the unseen in a visual medium. Why am I reminded of the irony of Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy on the radio where they did a ventriloquist routine?

But you get what are probably the three big methods. The sparkle of light to signify the unseen in THE INVISIBLE MAN, the outline filled with blue in THE INVISIBLE BOY and just the outline in INVISIBLE SCARLETT.
Matt Baker had another method in ‘Was He Death Proof?” in JOURNEY INTO FEAR no. 1.

Ray Zone turned it into a killer effect when he made the story 3-D. Our artist from last week, Joe Kubert, in fact invented the 3-D comic so you have to wonder what he might have done with the effect himself.

Norman ‘Mars Attacks’ Saunders had the least effective go at it with his INVISIBLE BOY. At first glance I just thought it was an annoying kid pushing the two guys down the stairs. Nice painting as always though. And speaking of covers, I agree wth everybody that Andru’s cover for INVISIBLE MAN was the best thing about the comic.

Morisi’s art was okay, in fact, a notch above a lot of CLASSICS ILLUSTRATED would-be competitors. But he was done in by the script and the editing. It had to be more thought out. Every panel would have to matter and they threw way too much dialogue at the reader. Plus, I’ll bet a burrito they were hemmed in by not being able to step on Universal or Classic Illustrated adaptations.

A couple of years ago, they published some romance comics with the dialogue redone so it became comedy. (Truer Than True Romance) This one begs for the same treatment.
EHowie, if you get a chance, dial up Universals’ THE INVISIBLE MAN. Like RobbK, my son is a big fan since i showed it to him and you get a REAL sense of his mental unhinging.

The best of course was INVISIBLE SCARLETT. Great art and probably the best depicting of invisibility. The wife walked by at one point took one look at the Guest Goon and said; “You know what kind of shampoo that guy uses??”
I was lost at sea and asked what.
“Head and Shoulders.”

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2023, 06:40:07 PM »

Invisible Scarlet O’Neil #3
This was a well-crafted book.  The Artwork is decent.  I like the bright colours and use of light and shadows used for mood.  I notice The Chester Gould style, with over-emphasized and distorted faces of the criminals.  I like the use of just the invisible character's ink outline, with no fill colour, to show that person's position and movements.  I like the little stars emanating from an unseen character to indicate from where the dialog or thinking balloon's text comes, to show that invisible character's position better than the light blue colouring or unfilled area inside the character's inked outlines, do.  However, when the protagonist is the invisible character, it is important to the reader to see the hero's movements; so I understand why the latter method was used in the case of the latter 2 books, who are superheroes, whose actions are an important part of their fight against crime and all wrongdoing.  In the case of "The Invisible Man", the story is a tragedy about a normal man, who becomes a wrongdoing villain (albeit not from his own choice), and so, no longer is a protagonist. 

I find it interesting that there is an information page to warn kid readers against falling for criminal tricks (scams) used by common rackets.  The other filler pages are testing the readers' detecting skills, to provide a vehicle to instill some self-participation in their heroes' work, to get them more involved in the genre.

School For Crime
The story starts by stating that Scarlet is a detective.  And she is a partner of private detective, Sandy Randall in a private detective service company.  The story starts paced fairly quickly, as most comic book stories do, as compared to text short stories, because of page limitations of the comic book format.  At least, due to the fact that this was adapted from a newspaper comic strip, this story takes up almost all of the book.  Only a few informational pages about detective work, and entertaining/informational pages are added.  The main villain, Malignant (great name!), and his henchman for his current crime job, are well-developed.  Malignant is a crafty, but brutal criminal, who has a favourite "hit man" to rub out his enemies, and uses late teens or early 20s slum kids, who are desperate for cash, to do his dangerous "dirty work", and doesn't mind, at all, having them die, one by one in the dangerous criminal activities (because moving on to a new crime crew for each caper, leaves no accomplices that can identify him to police as the mastermind of the crimes).

We see the theme of this series in Scarlet's actions, that she is a very savvied, brave and confident, self-assured, independent partner in her firm, and really the lead in her partnership's operations.  This is opposed to the traditional detective series, where the male detective is the boss, and the beautiful young woman is his underling employee (learning the trade from him, or just acting as a shill for him, mainly to get information, or pull the criminal into a trap).

Scarlet proves to be fearless, sharp, innovative, and very athletic.  She certainly was one of the first female comics (newspaper strips and comic books) heroes and superheroes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 03:49:01 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2023, 02:15:18 AM »

Q.Q.: this was a great idea for a theme; trying to express the unseen in a visual medium.

Morgus, pretty thorough list of invisible characters.
One we haven't mentioned yet, is Sue Storm, the invisible woman.
EHowie, if you get a chance, dial up Universals’ THE INVISIBLE MAN. Like RobbK, my son is a big fan since i showed it to him and you get a REAL sense of his mental unhinging.   

Thanks for mentioning that. Great Film, very NOIR.
The Invisible Man (1933) | The Terror of Claude Rains' Invisible Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ-AQXw1gUk&ab_channel=UniversalPictures
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2023, 07:42:54 AM »

Forgotten now but once upon a time very popular, Invisible Dick (please, it was a different time) goes back a long way, first in the story papers then in comic strips. 
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/invisdck.htm
http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/i/invisdik.htm

I might be able to put together a few parts of the Rover serial, but the Sparky strips are a no-no.
2 versions of a boy who can become invisible but it's really only the title in common.
British TV had The Invisible Man series way back.  Peter Brady is rendered invisible following a scientific accident.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051285/

ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2023, 06:52:22 PM »

True, Panther, Susan Storm turned white when she was invisible. Nice effect.

I was hoping in vain that THE INVISIBLE BOY would be a pirate of the Ray Bradbury story...but no dice. At least in the Bradbury story the kid runs around nekkid to annoy the old lady, to answer that age old plot hole that the clothes wouldn't become invisible.  Take that, Dr. Wertham.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 07:34:25 PM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2023, 01:48:30 AM »

in the Bradbury story the kid runs around nekkid to annoy the old lady, to answer that age old plot hole that the clothes wouldn't become invisible.

When I was a teenager a local TV station broadcast the Invisible Man television series. I distinctly remember a scene in which a (visible) friend of the hero pulls "invisible clothes" from a drawer and tosses them to the (invisible) hero. Long ago, I read somewhere that this was to satisfy viewers of early episodes who objected to seeing (or rather not seeing) an invisible naked man on their TV. Does anyone know if there's truth to either of these memories?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2023, 02:06:15 AM »

I distinctly remember

Trust your memories. That's definitely crazy enough to be true.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2023, 02:30:45 AM »

in the Bradbury story the kid runs around nekkid to annoy the old lady, to answer that age old plot hole that the clothes wouldn't become invisible.

When I was a teenager a local TV station broadcast the Invisible Man television series. I distinctly remember a scene in which a (visible) friend of the hero pulls "invisible clothes" from a drawer and tosses them to the (invisible) hero. Long ago, I read somewhere that this was to satisfy viewers of early episodes who objected to seeing (or rather not seeing) an invisible naked man on their TV. Does anyone know if there's truth to either of these memories?

I watched about 10 minutes of British "The Invisible Man" TV series, but didn't like it, so never watched it again.  But, the idea of invisible clothing covering The body of the Human who desires not being seen, and his or her actually not being seen is now a lot more possible than people drinking a mixture of chemicals and their molecules are then not seen by Humans or animals.  In recent years, scientists have been perfecting fabrics that reflect light such that human eyes have trouble focusing on objects in that direction, and the person covered in the fabric may be totally unseen for short periods, and a blurry mass when seen at all.  So, although we can't really have an "invisible man" in our times, we can have an "unrecognisable man", who can dash about and not only stay anonymous, but also not even recognised as a Human, but just seen as a moving blob.

https://idstch.com/technology/materials/military-smart-and-intelligent-textiles-improve-performance-of-soldiers-enhancing-their-mobility-survivability-and-connectivity/

Scroll down to signature Management and Cloaking for the blurb on "invisibility effects from ability to reflect light".
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 02:39:49 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2023, 04:29:53 AM »

Fantastic Adventures #18

It's been decades since I watched Universal's Invisible Man movie. I read the book only once, when I was in high school. Thus I came to this comic with few preconceptions. After reading Pete Morisi's adaptation, I dug up the late-1950s Classics Illustrated rendition (#153, drawn by Normal Nodel). Both plot and text in Nodel version mirrored the Morisi version closely, often using identical words. To me this suggests Morisi made as faithful an adaptation of Wells' novel as he could in 28 pages with Comics Code restrictions.

The story is rather good. It moves well, makes sense, and doesn't feel choppy as if too much material was dropped. My main problem is with Griffin's motivation. It's not clear why he becomes a murderous megalomaniac. I came to the comic presuming that the invisibility potion drove him mad. Instead it seems he was off his rocker to begin with. The fact that the longer Classics Illustrated version doesn't make this any clearer leads me to believe that Wells didn't spell it out in his novel. After this is over I'll have to reread it and find out. All told, though, I feel Morisi wrote a respectable adaptation. Parenthetically, do you know why I'm sure Morisi wrote the script? See our page 29, panel 6. I've never encountered any writer other than Pete Morisi who renders groans as Unnnn! Look at his Thunderbolt scripts. You'll see what I mean.

The art gives me conflicting feelings. I know Pete Morisi's art is an acquired taste but I really like his work. Trouble is, he's exactly the wrong guy for this job. All the hallmarks of his style--the serene panel compositions, the bright, open inking, the repetitive eye-level camera angles, and especially the frozen, sculptural look of his action poses--work against the mood throughout the book. This is particularly true in the scenes of people fighting with the invisible man. The script begs for twisted bodies flying around but Morisi just can't deliver it. As for the environments, I'm no expert on English country villages. All I know about them I learned from Hollywood movies. I can say that the architecture, particularly the interiors, is generic and fake looking. I'm not saying Morisi hacked the book out. I have the impression he put as much honest work into the art as he did the script. His style simply doesn't suit the story. Too bad.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2023, 04:54:04 AM »

Fantastic Adventures #18

It's been decades since I watched Universal's Invisible Man movie. I read the book only once, when I was in high school. Thus I came to this comic with few preconceptions. After reading Pete Morisi's adaptation, I dug up the late-1950s Classics Illustrated rendition (#153, drawn by Normal Nodel). Both plot and text in Nodel version mirrored the Morisi version closely, often using identical words. To me this suggests Morisi made as faithful an adaptation of Wells' novel as he could in 28 pages with Comics Code restrictions.

The story is rather good. It moves well, makes sense, and doesn't feel choppy as if too much material was dropped. My main problem is with Griffin's motivation. It's not clear why he becomes a murderous megalomaniac. I came to the comic presuming that the invisibility potion drove him mad. Instead it seems he was off his rocker to begin with. The fact that the longer Classics Illustrated version doesn't make this any clearer leads me to believe that Wells didn't spell it out in his novel. After this is over I'll have to reread it and find out. All told, though, I feel Morisi wrote a respectable adaptation. Parenthetically, do you know why I'm sure Morisi wrote the script? See our page 29, panel 6. I've never encountered any writer other than Pete Morisi who renders groans as Unnnn! Look at his Thunderbolt scripts. You'll see what I mean.

The art gives me conflicting feelings. I know Pete Morisi's art is an acquired taste but I really like his work. Trouble is, he's exactly the wrong guy for this job. All the hallmarks of his style--the serene panel compositions, the bright, open inking, the repetitive eye-level camera angles, and especially the frozen, sculptural look of his action poses--work against the mood throughout the book. This is particularly true in the scenes of people fighting with the invisible man. The script begs for twisted bodies flying around but Morisi just can't deliver it. As for the environments, I'm no expert on English country villages. All I know about them I learned from Hollywood movies. I can say that the architecture, particularly the interiors, is generic and fake looking. I'm not saying Morisi hacked the book out. I have the impression he put as much honest work into the art as he did the script. His style simply doesn't suit the story. Too bad.

The impression I've always had from Wells' wording in his novel, and from the 1933 Raines film was that it was the chemicals he was drinking that altered his brain.  His scientist colleagues warned him that what he was dealing with in his experiments was dangerous, but he wouldn't listen.  It seemed that everything pointed to that.  He became a completely different person, with a completely different demeanor and different values.  Drinking chemicals?  Probably non-biological?  What would they do to his cells and tissues?  It is the obvious conclusion that they altered his brain's tissues, which caused a change in his way of thinking and made basic needs and basic emotions supersede deep thinking, or even thinking at all.  He desperately needed money to continue his experiments, which then became everything to him.  So, he was able, without thinking, to hurt, and even kill others, without remorse.  Becoming dedicated only to his experiments wouldn't be enough to make someone change so drastically, as to take others lives.  It is clear that the chemicals ruined his brain.  I don't remember Wells' wording ever saying that outright.  But even if he never stated that, it is clearly implied.

ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2023, 06:08:21 AM »

Approved Comics #2, The Invisible Boy

Where's Robby the Robot when you need him?

I digress...I wrote in my last comment that I came to Pete Morisi's The Invisible Man with few preconceptions. It's the opposite case with The Invisible Boy. I was strongly prejudiced by the knowledge that Jerry Siegel created and wrote the book. In an earlier comment K1ngcat opined that Siegel became famous just because Jerry happened to be in the right place at the right time with the right property. Maybe that's a bit harsh, but I do agree that Siegel was a one-trick pony. After Superman nothing he created (or in The Spider's case, re-created) was very good.

Taking a step back I must admit that I expected Siegel to write better-than-average comics because he was a legendary creator. Rereading The Invisible Boy with that in mind I realized that it isn't that much worse than the stuff written by other, anonymous Golden Age scriptwriters. Like that stuff, The Invisible Boy simply isn't anything special.

Everyone else has detailed the questionable plot points and lapses of logic. I'll only mention the scene where invisible Danny saves the cops from being blown up by a booby trap by firing on them with a machine gun. Gimme a break! This is something I associate with Siegel's scripts: to achieve a desirable result the hero performs some dramatic action that is not only illogical but also completely bonkers.

I must warn that approaching ship not to dock in New York! I know--I'll blow up the Empire State Building to attract their attention!

The final story, "Magic Manners," takes place in a different universe from the first two adventures. Danny is a vindictive refugee from an Archie comic sparring with a ridiculously over-the-top snob boy (named Percy, of course), his rival for the attention of an obnoxious, self-centered girl. Everyone is so petty and the situations are so clumsily staged that I was hoping Percy and Margie would get a whiff of Danny's invisibility gas so I wouldn't have to look at the three of them ever again. It didn't help matters that in the last two panels the colorist mistakenly colored Danny's hair and jacket with Percy's colors, making it look like the effeminate snob got the girl in the end (after ditching his glasses).

The unsigned artwork is weak throughout the issue, but an odd thing happens. In the first story Danny starts out looking like a schoolboy but by the last panel he appears to be a teenager. In the second story he's back to being a preteen. Suddenly an unexpected side effect of the invisibility potion causes his head to swell! In our page 15, panel 3, it's grown to the size of a watermelon. Danny's head briefly returns to normal, but the next time it swells it's so large in proportion to his body that the boy resembles a giant infant (page 16, panel 2). Once he becomes visible Danny's head almost but not quite returns to normal. Little does he know that in the final story everyone else becomes afflicted as well! All three children's heads expand and contract as if someone were trying to blow up leaky balloons. Poor Margie gets the worst of it. On page 23, panel 3, it looks like someone replaced her head with her mother's.

Obviously the artist understood that the head's proportion with respect to the body changes as a child grows. Unfortunately he didn't manage to keep the proportions consistent.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.