in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 241 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Strange 6

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Strange 6  (Read 222 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« on: August 06, 2023, 12:30:02 AM »

In 1958 they were giving a colour TV as a prize?
Must have been very desirable at that time.

Link to the book: Strange 6
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2023, 09:23:55 AM »

No, they were giving away color TVs. It's cheaper without the U in it.  ;)

One estimate indicated that color TVs could run from $295 to $1295. Another guy mentioned a specific RCA TV (CTC-7) was $795.

I believe that NBC (owned at the time by RCA) had 17 color shows in the 1957-58 season. The most of the four networks then. It wouldn't be until the late sixties when TV shows went all color and most people got color TVs.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2023, 10:13:11 AM »

'You say Potato, I say Pot-ar-to"
No, they were giving away color TVs. It's cheaper without the U in it.

There are several high-usage words that are different in US usage and UK/Commonwealth usage.
'Colour' is one of them.

Colour or Color—Which Is Correct?
https://www.grammarly.com/blog/color-colour/ 

The word color has its roots (unsurprisingly) in the Latin word color. It entered Middle English through the Anglo-Norman colur, which was a version of the Old French colour. The current difference in spelling between the American and British variants is credited to (or occasionally blamed on) Noah Webster, the American lexicographer. Seeking to establish American independence and identity in language, Webster implemented a number of spelling reforms in A Compendious Dictionary of the English Language, which he published in 1806.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2023, 05:36:31 PM »

No, they were giving away color TVs. It's cheaper without the U in it.  ;)

One estimate indicated that color TVs could run from $295 to $1295. Another guy mentioned a specific RCA TV (CTC-7) was $795.

I believe that NBC (owned at the time by RCA) had 17 color shows in the 1957-58 season. The most of the four networks then. It wouldn't be until the late sixties when TV shows went all color and most people got color TVs.

In southern Manitoba we received TV signals from Minnesota and North Dakota, and we visited family in Chicago.  I only recall three national TV networks operating in 1957 or 1958, NBC, CBS, and ABC.  MBC(Mutual Broadcasting System) operated Radio only.  PBS (didn't exist until 1969 - it was only PBR (Public Broadcasting Radio at that time).  So what was the fourth US broadcasting system that broadcast TV at that time?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2023, 11:49:53 PM »

I misremembered. The Dumont Network stopped broadcasting in 1956. Thought it lasted longer. *shrug*
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2023, 12:52:37 AM »

I misremembered. The Dumont Network stopped broadcasting in 1956. Thought it lasted longer. *shrug*

What was "The Dumont Network"?  I've never heard of it.  They couldn't have been completely national in USA?  We certainly got all the signals available in The Duluth/Superior and Fargo Regions, and I never saw it listed in the Chicago Tribune TV programming listings when visiting in Chicago from 1951-56.  Maybe it operated only on The East Coast???  Why have I never seen a news reporter from Dumont in a film???  I've only seen NBC, CBS, MBS, and ABC.  It must have been a very small experiment for just a couple years.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2023, 06:22:37 AM »

I have now read Wikipedia's entry for The DuMont Network, and I discovered that it was a poor 4th network, because it was the only one that didn't have the support of large revenues from its own radio network; and it only owned 3 stations, and only the one in Pittsburgh was VHF,  The others were UHF, which had no channels built onto the TVs.  They did partner with WGN (Channel 9 in Chicago), to get much of their programming on the air there.  And upon seeing the DuMont logo, I remember it, now. But, they were gone before the end of 1956, and well before we moved from Canada to Chicago.  I learned That The Mutual Broadcasting System applied to get a TV broadcasting license, but The FCC declined, not wanting to add more systems.  ABC partnered with Paramount, to be able to compete with NBC and CBS, and DuMont was forced out.  I hadn't known that Jackie Gleason had had a variety show on The DuMont Network, which had "The Honeymooners" first as a weekly sketch, and that the first 39 episodes of the TV show, aired on DuMont or affiliated private stations (WGN being one of them).   
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2023, 07:12:07 AM »

I've heard that a number of Dumont show episodes were lost or destroyed after Dumont ended. I do know we have episodes of three series that aired, at least in part, on Dumont.

Captain Video https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2973

Flash Gordon https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2975

Follow That Man https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3011

I tried watching some Captain Video eps. The kids then must have been starving for entertainment.  ;)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2023, 03:29:16 PM »

There were British reprints of Captain Video comics published by L. Miller, 1952, I think. The covers were slightly different but the mention of the Dumont network featured on covers. #1 didn't use the photo cover from the American issue but art with characters in the same pose drawn by Mick Anglo?
https://www.comics.org/issue/349214/cover/4/
The price was 9d originally but I seem to remember later issues were cheaper at 6d. 
As soon as I posted this comment I found a copy of #2 of the British reprint.  It's now available
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=85666
My suggestion that the cover, or faces, were drawn by Mick Anglo might be wrong.  #1 looks like his work, this one, #2, I don't know how it's been done.
Pages alternate 2 at a time between colour and b&w.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 04:05:34 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.