in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Bill Willingham's Fables is now in the Public Domain

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Bill Willingham's Fables is now in the Public Domain  (Read 210 times)

FraBig

message icon
Bill Willingham's Fables is now in the Public Domain
« on: September 14, 2023, 10:55:38 PM »

Bill Willingham, author of the DC-published "Fables" and owner of the rights to the series, now released it in the public domain.
Here's an article about it:
https://comicbook.com/comics/amp/news/bill-willingham-releases-fables-into-the-public-domain/

What do you guys think about this? And does this mean we can now host Fables issues on this site?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Bill Willingham's Fables is now in the Public Domain
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2023, 11:11:03 PM »

Thanks Frabig!
It's worth quoting more in full from that,

"When I first signed my creator-owned publishing contract with DC Comics, the company was run by honest men and women of integrity, who (for the most part) interpreted the details of that agreement fairly and above-board," Willingham wrote. "When problems inevitably came up we worked it out, like reasonable men and women. Since then, over the span of twenty years or so, those people have left or been fired, to be replaced by a revolving door of strangers, of no measurable integrity, who now choose to interpret every facet of our contract in ways that only benefit DC Comics and its owner companies. At one time the Fables properties were in good hands, and now, by virtue of attrition and employee replacement, the Fables properties have fallen into bad hands."
He added later, "The one thing in our contract the DC lawyers can't contest, or reinterpret to their own benefit, is that I am the sole owner of the intellectual property. I can sell it or give it away to whomever I want. I chose to give it away to everyone. If I couldn't prevent Fables from falling into bad hands, at least this is a way I can arrange that it also falls into many good hands. Since I truly believe there are still more good people in the world than bad ones, I count it as a form of victory."

The move wasn't made merely to spite DC, though. Willingham says that as he has aged, his thoughts on copyright have shifted significantly. He says that he thinks intellectual property should remain with its original owner for a fairly limited time -- no more than 30 years -- and that after a sale, the property should stay with the new owner for 10 or fewer.

"Fables has been my baby for about twenty years now. It's time to let it go," he wrote.

I wish I could say I'm surprised by his allegations.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 02:48:44 PM »

Yeah it's a very interesting situation, and I even think it's the first time something like this happens in the comic book world.
I've found more articles written by Willingham himself that get further into details about the whole affair.

1) Willingham Sends Fables Into the Public Domain:
https://billwillingham.substack.com/p/willingham-sends-fables-into-the?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

2) More About Fables in the Public Domain:
https://billwillingham.substack.com/p/more-about-fables-in-the-public-domain?utm_source=profile&utm_medium=reader2

Sadly, his allegations reveal a dark truth on the modern comic book editorial environment.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 12:12:19 AM »

More bad news for Willingham.

DC RESPONDS TO BILL WILLINGHAM
[Stating 'Fables' Comics and Graphic Novels Are 'Owned by DC']
https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/55100/dc-responds-bill-willingham

In an official statement, DC said
    The Fables comic books and graphic novels published by DC, and the storylines, characters and elements therein, are owned by DC and protected under the copyright laws of the United States and throughout the world in accordance with applicable law, and are not in the public domain. DC reserves all rights and will take such action as DC deems necessary or appropriate to protect its intellectual property rights.

Who owns DC?
In 1969, DC Comics was purchased by Warner Bros. Entertainment and has remained within the companies network ever since.
As of right now, however, both DC Comics and Warner Bros are offshoots of American telecommunications company Time Warner. And after a recent purchase of competitor AT&T in 2018, DC Comics were moved into the Warner Bros. Global Brands and Experiences division.

We know from experience that they will keep Willingham tied up in litigation until he surrenders or they get a Judge or jury that rules in their favor, or probably both. They can throw millions at litigation - he is highly unlikely to win.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.