in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Is AI a reliable source?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Is AI a reliable source?  (Read 260 times)

Samskara

message icon
Is AI a reliable source?
« on: September 25, 2023, 03:06:52 PM »

I've been playing with some of the new artificial intelligence chatbots and search engines, and find that questions about comic books may induce hallucinations -- that is, the AI doesn't know the answer but makes something up.  For a quick example, Crime Busters costume was NOT bullet proof, no matter what the chatbot said.

Recently I tried to indulge something that amused me -- making a list of the comic book heroes who wore American Flag costumes.  The list I was given was: he Shield
The Flag
The Patriot
Americommando
The Star-Spangled Kid
Stripesy
Bucky
Miss Victory
The Minute-Man
Commander Steel
Captain America-X

Some of these seem debatable (Bucky's costume) but I'm more interested in learning whether there were any that the AI missed.  I can think of V Man and Fighting American offhand, but I'm sure I'm missing a few.  Any thoughts? 
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Is AI a reliable source?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2023, 05:01:50 AM »

the AI doesn't know the answer but makes something up.

You didn't hear about the American lawyer who used AI to assemble a legal argument and it gave him made up cases? The judge was not happy.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
Re: Is AI a reliable source?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2023, 06:04:00 PM »

I'm late to the party, but this is a list of Golden Age superheroes in the public domain that are patriotic and wear the colours of the star-spangled banner in some way or another.

The list was compiled by me and it's still a work in progress. The Public Domain Super Heroes wiki has been a very helpful instrument to make this. I plan to update it with also Marvel and DC superheroes from the Golden Age.

American Crusader
American Eagle (Nedor)

Boy Detective *

Captain Battle
Captain Commando
Captain Courageous
Captain Fight (Fiction House 1)
Captain Flag
Captain Freedom
Captain Red Cross
Captain Victory
Commando Yank
Conqueror

Dandy *
Daredevil Boy *
Dicky *

Eagle (Fox)
Eaglet (Nedor) *

Fighting Yank
Flag
Flag-Man
Four Comrades

Ghost of Flanders
Great Defender

Johnny Rebel

Liberator
Lone Warrior

Major Victory (Chesler)
Man of War
Marksman (Centaur)
Minute-Man
Miss America
Miss Victory

Nathan Hale *

Pat Patriot
Pioneer
Capt. V/Puppeteer

Rangers of Freedom
Rusty *
Rusty Ryan

Sentinel
Shield
Sparky (Harvey) *
Spirit of '76
Super-American
Super-Boy *

U.S. Jones
Uncle Sam (Quality)
Unknown Soldier
USA (Quality)

V-Boys *
V-Man

War Eagle
War Nurse

Yank & Doodle
Yankee Boy
Yankee Doodle Jones
Yankee Girl (Superior)

* sidekicks

As you can clearly see, sadly (or luckily, it depends ;)) A.I. is still not capable to compile such a list. Especially because most of these characters are definitely obscure and there's scarce information about them on the web.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 06:06:17 PM by FraBig »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.