in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #310 – Australian vs American Catman

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #310 – Australian vs American Catman  (Read 878 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #310 – Australian vs American Catman
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2023, 03:32:15 AM »

QQ said,
I recently read a 'Bathman of the Fifties' volume and it was kind of cheesy,   

I'm sure it was!  ::) :o
That would have been an interesting read. Not sure I would have enjoyed it! Doesn't seem my cup of tea!

Cheers! And happy holiday in the sun!   8)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2023, 03:43:53 AM »

I liked the fact that Terry played a key role, and wasn’t one of the swooning females who appear in so many Golden Age comics.

In Australian comics, the Phantom was the main influence, not Superman and Batman as in the US.
So, I think it is possible that "Terry' is influenced by the Phantom's Diana who also works for the UN.
While Diana gets into scrapes and often has to be rescued, she is not really a 'swooning female'. Neither was Mandrake's Narda. Lee Falk was somewhat ahead of his time, I think.   
Also Cat-man's 'CatHead' mountain lair is likely based on the Phantom's Skull Cave.
Danke!
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2023, 07:11:01 AM »

QQ said,
I recently read a 'Batman of the Fifties' volume and it was kind of cheesy,   

I'm sure it was!  ::) :o
That would have been an interesting read. Not sure I would have enjoyed it! Doesn't seem my cup of tea!

Cheers! And happy holiday in the sun!   8)

LOL Panther, it wasn't the best book I've ever read, but it was interesting for the pop culture value. I just realised I had the name slightly wrong. It was 'Batman in the Fifties' and I found it at my local library. Here's a review I wrote at the time:

This book collects 27 Batman stories from the 1950s. I enjoyed it for the nostalgia value, though some of the stories were fairly corny compared to some of the more modern incarnations. Though this was the era of the Comics Code Authority, and I did like the fact that the stories weren't as dark as some of the recent ones. A lot of the cutting-edge gadgets and scientific breakthroughs aren't cutting-edge anymore, but they must have been exciting for kids reading them in the 50s.

We find out the origins of some of Batman's enemies, like the Joker, Two-Face, Killer Moth and Catwoman. There are also a couple of stories featuring Batwoman, who foils crooks with trick powder compacts and perfume. There's no sign yet of Batgirl. There are also a few sci-fi tales that capitalised on trends of the times. Political correctness wasn't on the horizon, so Batwoman faces sexist remarks about what a woman can and can't do. Batman is given his first Batarang from an Australian ranger who throws boomerangs, and of course he's not an indigenous ranger.

Overall, some of the stories are pretty silly and the political incorrectness bothered me on occasion. But if you remember these stories were written in the 1950s and see them as a snapshot of pop culture at the time, there are some interesting moments.

In Australian comics, the Phantom was the main influence, not Superman and Batman as in the US.
So, I think it is possible that "Terry' is influenced by the Phantom's Diana who also works for the UN.
While Diana gets into scrapes and often has to be rescued, she is not really a 'swooning female'. Neither was Mandrake's Narda. Lee Falk was somewhat ahead of his time, I think.   
Also Cat-man's 'CatHead' mountain lair is likely based on the Phantom's Skull Cave.

That makes sense. I like some of the more recent stories they've had with Diana too.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2023, 07:48:09 AM »

There are also a couple of stories featuring Batwoman, who foils crooks with trick powder compacts and perfume. There's no sign yet of Batgirl.

Both Paw Broon and moi are huge fans of the '50's Batwoman.
Personally, I love the combination of Yellow and Black on her original costume.     
She did have a niece who became Batgirl. She flirted with Robin, to his great embarrassment.
Following the accusations of a homoerotic subtext in the depiction of the relationship between Batman and Robin as described in Fredric Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent (1954), a female character, Kathy Kane the Batwoman, appeared in 1956 as a love interest for Batman.[3] In 1961, DC Comics introduced a second female character as a love interest for Robin.[3] Betty Kane as "Bat-Girl" arrived as the niece of, and Robin-like sidekick to, Batwoman, first appearing in Batman #139 (April 1961).[ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman

So Bette Kane was the first Batgirl. She returned later in Teen Titans West still with a crush on Dick Grayson. Who definitely did not reciprocate. She was then a professional tennis player.
The original Batwoman has returned several times, most notably in this instance.
Ten Years Ago, the Original Batwoman made Her Glorious Return
https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-glorious-return-grant-morrison-batman-look-back/

cheers.     
« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:52:15 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2023, 08:09:48 AM »

Cat-Man 17

CatMan and The Kitten - Penciled and Inked by Charles Quinlan

This 1943 World War II story is very compelling because of both its unusual, edgy art style, and interesting plot.  Quinlan created an edgy mood by giving a sinister character to all the villains, by drawing them with grotesque features and body poses, while leaving the protagonists and normal background characters very bland, being much less defined, and providing the dark mood by drawing the panels chopped off in unorthodox ways.  The main story plot was fairly typical.  But the subplot of a British Colonial subject (South Asian Indian) racketeer running a spy ring out of his gambling operation in Australia, selling Allied military secrets to The Japanese Military was very clever, because it was so appropriate.  That subplot was very plausible, given that India supplied 2.5 million of its young men "voluntary" soldiers to The British military to fight Japan, while their nation was in the middle of a movement for independence from British rule.  There were many Indians who naively believed that IF The Japanese would defeat The Allies in Asia, that victory would help their Asian "Brothers" to bring about India's full independence.   

Thanks for the extra info, Robb. I didn't know much about India's role in WWII. I agree it was an interesting scenario. The idea of a gambling racket wasn't so original, but the setting and characters made it different from a lot of other similar stories.

CatMan and Kit - by John Dixon

This Australian version of mystery man/private avowed crime fighter, CatMan, despite having an espionage theme, has a different feel from that of the original American version.  Both have a protege who, at least in both these stories, made no significant contribution (e.g. might as well not have been in the story, and only make it less realistic).  This story's plotline is a bit more streamlined and simple.  But it does have the added element of CatMan's fiancee (Terry West) working for The UN, as a vehicle for getting the self-styled crime fighter involved in breaking up espionage operations.  Dixon's artwork on this story is excellent, with very detailed backgrounds, and detailed faces on the characters, and his knowledge of anatomy is excellent, as well.  His staging is top notch.  I like the artwork on this story much more than on Quinlan's US version.  This is also a fast-paced story.

I only discovered John Dixon's art last year when I started buying some of the Frew Publication compilations. I really like his style too, including the stories. He managed to put quite a different spin on the American one, though I like both. And I agree that the sidekicks don't seem to do much. I guess it was a trend at the time to have a sidekick. Maybe so kids could identify with them?

Thanks for commenting.

Cheers
QQ

Yes.  That is ABSOLUTELY the reason.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2023, 07:12:42 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2023, 11:48:28 PM »

Almost missed commenting on this one!

CAT-MAN COMICS #17

I've always had a soft spot for Cat-Man and The Kitten. I don't know exactly why. I like Charles Quinlan's art and his stories are generally entertaining. I read somewhere that Quinlan and a relative--his son?--wrote many of the scripts. It's fun to have a superhero with a feisty girl for a sidekick. Though, as Don Markstein pointed out, given the heat Batman and Robin took from moral protectors, it's odd that no one noticed Cat-Man hanging out with an adolescent girl. At least they aren't shown sharing a locker room.

Having heaped on all that praise I confess this Cat-Man story didn't impress me. I prefer the peacetime Cat-Man. His wartime adventures were hobbled by the need to fight evil Axis agents in every episode. This one moves fast and has its moments. I like how Captain Yokima pays the Rajah in scrip. But then he launches into one of those detailed explanations of his plan. As a reader I appreciate his thoughtfulness. Nevertheless it reminds me of a TV cartoon in which a secret agent is captured by the villain, who explains his plan, then tells the hero, "You know too much, so I must kill you!" To which the hero replies, "If you'd kept your stupid mouth shut I wouldn't know anything at all!"

The strangest note is the resurrection of Private Binks. Looking closely at the last panel I'm pretty sure it was a last-minute editorial change. Though both balloons were lettered by the same hand, the second one looks kind of squeezed in. The newspaper headline about Binks, only partly readable and stuck in the lower corner, looks even more like an afterthought. My hypothesis is that the editor decided it'd look bad to have an innocent GI be murdered. This isn't the only afterthought. In panel 5 of the last page Cat-Man's line "Give, Kitten" has been sloppily added to the balloon without the balloon being enlarged to fit it. I don't know why the line is there unless the editor felt a need to explain Katie's saying "Meow." The panel plays much better without the addition.

It's nice that Quinlan set the story in Australia, but as our genuine Australians have noted, he didn't put much effort into researching his backgrounds. The locales are generic and the cars are parked on the wrong side of the street. The Australian soldier speaks comic-book Cockney. Quinlan's splash page is catchy and his figures are up to his usual standard. However he can't make up his mind what size Katie is. She's supposed to be somewhere between 12 and 14 years old, but in some panels she barely comes up to his waist.

The Deacon was basically a Spirit clone without the benefit of a secret identity. He was a small-time hood who was shot when he tried to quit his gang. Bloodied and beaten, he hid out in an abandoned church. There he donned a set of Deacon Duds he found in a closet. He decided to reform and fight crime rather than practice it. The Deacon adopted a street kid, Mickey, for his sidekick. Nothing much was done with this origin. That's too bad. While comics probably wouldn't have wanted a strictly religious hero, it would have been interesting if The Deacon's moral sense inclined him to help crooks to reform rather than punching them out. Probably too deep for the Golden Age. If you're interested, The Deacon's origin is on our page 17 of the first issue of Cat-Man Comics:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29020

Maybe I read it too quickly, but this story didn't make sense to me. Sol Brodsky's art on this episode is pretty bad, too. If you want to see truly wretched art, though, check out The Deacon's origin story.

Sol keeps up his artistic standard in The Rag-Man. The Rag-Man debuted in the same issue as The Deacon. He's essentially the same character, with a beefy African-American with a minstrel show accent serving as sidekick rather than a wise-cracking street kid. I wish I had a dollar for every story in which a scorned scientist seeks revenge by killing a bunch of people. I'd never have to play the lottery again. At least this iteration features a little red devil egging him on. It's not until the final panel that we learn the pariah scientist had invented a formula for eternal life. Why didn't he do something with that instead?

The Little Leaders is another feature that had potential. I could see the kids doing the Hardy Boys thing solving crimes themselves in between gigs with the grown-ups. This story is a full-on promotional piece for wartime scrap drives, so there's no room for any serious detecting. It highlights one of the stupidest tropes in Golden Age comics. Look, I know these are just comic books and I know 1940s kids didn't analyze this stuff as does a seventy-something-year-old comic geek with too much time on his hands. But surely even 1940s kids would realize that a Fifth Columnist would be an idiot to parade around the American homeland in full Nazi uniform (or Japanese Army uniform, depending upon the column). Gimme a break! But then maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. Maybe 1940s kids spent so much time looking for spies in Nazi uniforms that they neglected to hassle some innocent German Americans with thick accents.

Walter Palais' art isn't too bad. He gives Katie a prettier face than Quinlan does and his Mickey is a darned sight better than Brodsky's. It's a capable job in all, except that he doesn't want to draw the wagon full of scrap. We needed to see it on the last page when the kids are grabbing junk off the cart and throwing it at the spies.

Blackout started in Holyoke's Cat-Man #10 as a Dr Mid-Nite ripoff. By this episode they seem to have forgotten that he's blind and can see only with the goggles given him by kind Doctor Dismal. The artwork suffers from poor layouts and hasty finishes. We needed to see the factory layout on the last couple of pages to understand what's going on and to be sure the good guys didn't get blown up along with the bad guys.

You can't see much of Dan Barry's future greatness in The Hood, but you can tell he had greater than average talent. Interesting how his fighting poses are inspired by (maybe swiped from?) Kirby & Co. Barry sure loves to draw the Claw's face. Did he also do the lousy lettering? By the way, this is a sequel to the Hood story in Cat-Man #14, which was drawn in a far less grandiose style by Alan Mandel.

The Mysterious Bomber hints that it's a "true" story. Hogwash. But it deserves mention as possibly the only comic book war story in which a bunch of drunken GI's hijack a plane to bomb the enemy.

I have a vague memory of someone writing that Men Against the Sea was based on a real event that happened to the writer's father / grandfather. I may have it mixed up with a similar tale in a different comic. Schaare's art has a certain Sam Glanzman vibe.

Lots to like in the American Cat-Man. How about the Australian version? To be continued.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2023, 12:56:27 AM »

Crash,
You can't see much of Dan Barry's future greatness in The Hood, but you can tell he had greater than average talent. Interesting how his fighting poses are inspired by (maybe swiped from?) Kirby & Co. 

Nice to see you reach that conclusion, I though the same. The bodies and layouts are similar to Kirbys then current style. Interestingly, nothing like Dan Barry's eventual style.
"Great minds think alike." [ Do they really?] or maybe "Fools never differ."
Seriously tho, A good, detailed review. 
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2023, 07:53:47 AM »

There are also a couple of stories featuring Batwoman, who foils crooks with trick powder compacts and perfume. There's no sign yet of Batgirl.

Both Paw Broon and moi are huge fans of the '50's Batwoman.
Personally, I love the combination of Yellow and Black on her original costume.     
She did have a niece who became Batgirl. She flirted with Robin, to his great embarrassment.
Following the accusations of a homoerotic subtext in the depiction of the relationship between Batman and Robin as described in Fredric Wertham's book Seduction of the Innocent (1954), a female character, Kathy Kane the Batwoman, appeared in 1956 as a love interest for Batman.[3] In 1961, DC Comics introduced a second female character as a love interest for Robin.[3] Betty Kane as "Bat-Girl" arrived as the niece of, and Robin-like sidekick to, Batwoman, first appearing in Batman #139 (April 1961).[ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batwoman

So Bette Kane was the first Batgirl. She returned later in Teen Titans West still with a crush on Dick Grayson. Who definitely did not reciprocate. She was then a professional tennis player.
The original Batwoman has returned several times, most notably in this instance.
Ten Years Ago, the Original Batwoman made Her Glorious Return
https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-glorious-return-grant-morrison-batman-look-back/

cheers.     

Thanks for the 'Ten Years Ago' article. Interesting. Catwoman, of course, is also a love interest for Batman, with things getting quite steamy in the more recent incarnations. I knew that Betty Kane was the first Batgirl, but I don't think I've seen any of the comics featuring her. Barbara Gordon will always be my Batgirl. I have the Bronze Age volume of Barbara Gordon comics from her debut in 1967 on into the 70s, and love it. Babs forever!

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2023, 08:15:57 AM »

Almost missed commenting on this one!

CAT-MAN COMICS #17

I've always had a soft spot for Cat-Man and The Kitten. I don't know exactly why. I like Charles Quinlan's art and his stories are generally entertaining. I read somewhere that Quinlan and a relative--his son?--wrote many of the scripts. It's fun to have a superhero with a feisty girl for a sidekick. Though, as Don Markstein pointed out, given the heat Batman and Robin took from moral protectors, it's odd that no one noticed Cat-Man hanging out with an adolescent girl. At least they aren't shown sharing a locker room.

LOL - I did wonder about Cat-Man hanging out with a girl, though she's his ward. I guess that was fine in the Golden Age. Probably as good as old Fred Astaire (aged about 56) being the guardian of Leslie Caron in 'Daddy Long Legs' and then falling in love with her when she's about 24. That movie never worked for me. But I digress!

It's nice that Quinlan set the story in Australia, but as our genuine Australians have noted, he didn't put much effort into researching his backgrounds. The locales are generic and the cars are parked on the wrong side of the street.

Good pick-up, Crashryan. I didn't even notice the cars.

The Deacon was basically a Spirit clone without the benefit of a secret identity. He was a small-time hood who was shot when he tried to quit his gang. Bloodied and beaten, he hid out in an abandoned church. There he donned a set of Deacon Duds he found in a closet. He decided to reform and fight crime rather than practice it. The Deacon adopted a street kid, Mickey, for his sidekick. Nothing much was done with this origin. That's too bad. While comics probably wouldn't have wanted a strictly religious hero, it would have been interesting if The Deacon's moral sense inclined him to help crooks to reform rather than punching them out.

Thanks for the background detail. That makes more sense to me now. I thought he was a real deacon.

Thanks for your other comments too.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2023, 03:53:59 AM »

Probably as good as old Fred Astaire (aged about 56) being the guardian of Leslie Caron in 'Daddy Long Legs' and then falling in love with her when she's about 24. That movie never worked for me.

Yes, that movie always seemed a bit cringeworthy. Interestingly, Wikipedia's description of the original novel mentions no romantic connection at all. The story is told through letters to her mysterious benefactor, whom the heroine apparently never meets. "The book chronicles Judy's educational, personal, and social growth ... She designs a rigorous reading program for herself and struggles to gain the basic cultural knowledge to which she, growing up in the bleak environment of the orphanage, never was exposed."

If that's so, the romantic angle must have been added for the 1919 movie adaptation starring Mary Pickford, and has stayed ever since. The movie and musical synopses make a point of saying the girl was "the oldest orphan" in the institution where she was raised, I presume to imply "Daddy" wasn't robbing the cradle, but it's still rather creepy.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2023, 05:44:04 AM »

CATMAN #21 (Australian version)

I really enjoyed this comic.  As others have pointed out, the Australian Catman is much more a Batman clone than he is an imitation of the American Cat-Man. Cat Jet, secret Cat Cave, signal device, etc. I like the cat-shaped mountain hideaway. On our page 8 it looks as if the cat mountain is doing the talking. About the only thing I didn't like about the book was the peculiar shape of the letter "C" in the balloons. It's just odd enough that it caught my attention in every panel.

I first became aware of John Dixon in the 1970s when the US-based fan weekly The Menomonee Falls Gazette published Air Hawk dailies (and Sundays ghosted in fine style by Hart Amos). His stuff was beautifully-drawn, splendidly-inked, and full of energy. The same holds true for his Catman work. A tad less detailed perhaps, but grade-A throughout.

The story plot wasn't anything special, but as I was reading it I was struck by how well-paced the script was. It moved smoothly from incident to incident with a minimum of explanatory captions. Did Dixon write his own scripts? It's strange that Catman allowed the spies to escape, but I appreciate his lack of bloodthirstiness.

I'll definitely seek out more Australian Catman's. Or is that Catmen?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.