in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

aka Books and Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: aka Books and Comics  (Read 290 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
aka Books and Comics
« on: January 03, 2024, 12:27:39 PM »

This topic refers to the Glasgow comic shop which was important in the development of Scottish fandom and helped a number of budding talents grow.
It's a spin off from the Sequential section:-
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/?topic=17958.msg92667#new
which was getting a bit off topic. 
Please post any comments, questions, criticisms on aka here.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: aka Books and Comics
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 12:30:39 PM »

Re. the publicity for Sequential, The Interviews.
Nobody ran off to write elsewhere.  I am providing an article for Comics Scene, an issue of which will feature a look at the Glasgow comic shop, aka Books and Comics, it's origins, and the important part it played in Glasgow's and Scotland's burgeoning comics fandom.
Why, because it was Sequential's editor who told me I'd be better off doing the aka thing - you never know, someone might interview me. ;)
In any case, aka, the business with which I was closely connected for so long, is about to celebrate it's 40th anniversary.
I'm always happy to write for Sequential, it's a great, wee fanzine.

https://sequential.online/
The following post was made bySequential.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 12:33:29 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 12:34:05 PM »

Comic Book Fan

Though I do wonder how you can celebrate 40 years of something that only lasted for  less than 11 years. It started in March 1984 and ended in February 1995 when court officers turned up to padlock the doors after ordering a sequestration.

So I'm assuming that the articles will concentrate on those early days like you say. Anyone with an interest should pop over to Kickstarter and back the project. I think it has less than three weeks to go.
ip icon Logged

Sequential

message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 06:48:53 AM »

I see you've deleted a post when moving them. Never been a fan of that.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2024, 09:01:08 AM »

Could this be the missing post?
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/?topic=24206.0

If not, please re-post.  We don't delete posts unless they are offensive, illegal, spam or similar..
In any case, to not quite quote the butler in The Big Sleep, "I make many mistakes"  ::)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2024, 08:11:19 PM »

Back to happier times.  When Alan Moore came to aka. 
The pic shows Mr. Moore with John McShane.  I am reliably informed that I took the picture. 
Unfortunately this was before the internet so it's all there is photographically of the occasion, nor of Mr. Gibbons who was great company.
The shop was located in the Virginia Galleries, Glasgow. The queue to meet the great man was rather long.  As there was no room in the shop we had a table set out in the courtyard and volunteers to manage the crowd.
Horseloverfat on his blog covers the occasion in retrospect.
https://g1rm.wordpress.com/2021/11/11/when-alan-moore-came-to-aka/
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2024, 11:29:45 PM »

I realize I've never seen a full-length picture of Moore. Was he really spherical?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2024, 02:49:20 AM »

Is it just me or does Alan Moore look like a discount version of Karl Marx?  ;)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 03:27:21 AM »

realize I've never seen a full-length picture of Moore. Was he really spherical? 

If you look again, there is another person with a striped top almost out of shot behind Moore.
Unless Alan actually has three hands. 
Although I don't think I've ever seen a smile on Alan's face.   

Is it just me or does Alan Moore look like a discount version of Karl Marx? 

No!
I'm pretty sure Marx actually was spherical.

Hey, I love this forum!

he queue to meet the great man was rather long.

Was this just after Watchmen was published or closer to 84/85?
In other words, What year? What at the time, was he celebrated for?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:38:29 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2024, 03:32:13 PM »

OK.  My memory is shocking.  I was told that I took the picture by one of our "lads/helpers" who was there on the day.  But, I now think that's me with the stripy jumper, behind Mr. Moore.
This was just after the launch of Watchmen.  The books we were supposed to sell were the British Titan editions which sported a different cover.  As we also had the "real" American version, it was initially cleared off the shelves and packed away in the back shop.  The Titan version sold out in next to no time so we decided, bugger it! we'd bring out the American editions.  They didn't last long either. Neither Mr. Moore nor Mr gibbons seemed concerned in the slightest but as the tour was organised by the British distributors, we were a tad concerned.
The more I look at the photo, I seem to remember that jumper.
So, not spherical, just me trying to look cool - and not succeeding.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.