in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #314 – New Year theme - Whiz Comics #39 and Kilroys #5

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #314 – New Year theme - Whiz Comics #39 and Kilroys #5  (Read 1176 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP

Hi everyone

Happy New Year! As this is the first reading group selection for the year, I’ve chosen two comic books that each include a New Year story.

Whiz Comics No. 39 (1943)

This includes some old favourites like Captain Marvel and Spy Smasher. But the Lance O’Casey story (p. 48) is set in South China during Chinese New Year.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=35872

Kilroys No. 5 (1948)

This is a teen humour comic, a bit like Archie. There are several stories, but the last one involves a New Year’s Eve party (p.43).

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=17956

Although the New Year stories provide the theme for this fortnight, feel free to also comment on any other aspects of the art or stories in these books as you feel inclined.

Happy Reading

Quirky Quokka
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 06:04:19 AM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
Re: Reading Group #314 – New Year theme - Whiz Comics #39 and Kilroys #5
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 10:21:05 AM »

Great selection - Whiz Comics - featuring Captain Marvel - the Golden Age comic book industry's biggest hit, and one of my all-time favorite superheroes is a delightful treat to begin the New Year.   Thanks, QQ.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 01:00:31 AM »

Great selection - Whiz Comics - featuring Captain Marvel - the Golden Age comic book industry's biggest hit, and one of my all-time favorite superheroes is a delightful treat to begin the New Year.   Thanks, QQ.

Glad you like it, Lyons. I'll look forward to your comments if you have time. Otherwise, simply enjoy  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 04:40:06 AM »

Whiz Comics #39

Captain Marvel Finds Utopia!
Billy just abandons his newscast to go stop Von Phool... how does he keep his job? And then later he has to stay for a week in Utopia. How much dead air is the station WHIZ broadcasting?  ;) Cute, if predictable, story.

Golden Arrow
Okay story.

Colonel Porterhouse Rides Again
A fine Major Hoople stor... oh, I mean, Colonel Porterhouse, a completely different character. Ahem.  ;) Amusing.

The Mad Artist
Kind of like the later Jughead Dipsy Doodle stories.

Jungle Raid
Okay.

Spy Smasher and the New Year's Eve Plot!
So why doesn't Spy Smasher use the goggles to hide his identity?
So in nine minutes he gets to the villain's hide-out, stops them, and calls the police? Yeahhhhhh...
Otherwise an okay story.

Lance O'Casey
Okay-see.  ;)

The Slave of the Lamp!
Okay, but nothing special.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 06:06:15 AM »

Billy just abandons his newscast to go stop Von Phool... how does he keep his job?   

Crash, shame on you! You aren't supposed to think about things like that!
The same conundrum applies to Clark Kent and Lois Lane. To continue, how did Bruce Wayne, when a teenager, hold on to and grow his father's company?
How does Spiderman make enough money to exist on, from his photography?
Why don't other publishers came calling to outbid Jonah?
And why doesn't he hire a manager and syndicate his Spiderman photos instead of just selling them to JJJ? He could then be financially independent.
Where, exactly, does Xavier get the money to develop technology like Cerebro, the Danger Room, and the Blackbird? (The most known version of the aircraft is based on the suborbital jet SR-71, a model often used by the military for spying.)
Since he is not considered a scientist, did somebody else develop Cerebro and the Danger Room? If, so, who?   
And what kind of license does he have to run a school?
Of course I could go on and on!   
cheers!   
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2024, 07:25:36 AM »

Crash, shame on you!

Crash?  :o

The same conundrum applies to Clark Kent and Lois Lane.

1. Up until the 1970s Clark was a newspaper reporter so could be said to be off looking for a story. It was only in the 1970s when he became a TV news anchor and the first story ended with Clark thinking, "Will Superman have to wait for commercial breaks?"

2. Why would Lois need to run off and perform a super-deed? Except for a couple of one-off stories she didn't have superpowers.

Where, exactly, does Xavier get the money to develop technology like Cerebro, the Danger Room, and the Blackbird?

Considering he's the most powerful telepath he probably engages in insider trading by reading minds.  ;)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 12:21:03 PM »

Crash?  :o 

Oncoming Alzheimers.  :( :(

The same conundrum applies to Clark Kent and Lois Lane.
I was, of course, referring to their constant absence from the News desk.
Clark was constantly changing his clothes in a closet and flying out of the window in the middle of a work day. 

Except for a couple of one-off stories she didn't have superpowers.

Back in the 50s and early 60s in those one-off stories she had every super-powers under the sun. More recently, if memory serves, she became SUPERWOMAN for a time. Or was that Lana?
The one Super-power she didn't have, for an investigative reporter, was the ability to work out that Clark was Superman.   :-X :-X :-X

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 05:07:19 PM »

Never mind Lois having super powers, even better, for me at any rate, was Kathy Kane those times she gained super powers and flew about in that fantastic supersuit.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 01:05:20 AM »

The one Super-power she didn't have, for an investigative reporter, was the ability to work out that Clark was Superman.   :-X :-X :-X

For 40-some years she kept trying to prove Clark was Superman. She'd find some proof, Supes would have to show it was wrong and Lois would accept it.

Personally I like the theory that Lois knew, but psychologically didn't want to accept that that drip Clark Kent was Superman because Supes was more exciting and she'd have to accept the boring Clark with the exciting Superman.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 02:15:50 AM »

For 40-some years she kept trying to prove Clark was Superman. She'd find some proof, Supes would have to show it was wrong and Lois would accept it.

Personally I like the theory that Lois knew, but psychologically didn't want to accept that that drip Clark Kent was Superman because Supes was more exciting and she'd have to accept the boring Clark with the exciting Superman.  ;)

Lois suspected Superman and Clark were the same in some of the early comics, and she's also found out in several different versions of the story over the years:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/times-lois-lane-has-discovered-811640/

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2024, 05:55:16 AM »

The Kilroys #5

Ice Skating Is Nice Skating
Pop is an unpleasant character. Not a big fan of the art style. Otherwise okay story.

Come Out of Your Shell
Okay story.

That Weigh About Women
That splash page really gives the wrong impression of what the rest of the story is about. Also since the story reveals Jackson is 148 pounds it means the woman is 378 pounds. (526 - 148).

Ickey Ike
Eh, okay, I guess.

Hot-Rod Jockeys
About par for the course.

Kollege Kapers
Nice art.

Day Off
"Took out the trash and burned it" Now there's a dated reference. Also piled coal near the furnace. Otherwise okay, but predictable story.

Romance Rides the Airwaves
There's an evocative title, the kind you can give to 3 different writers and get 3 completely different stories. That was a cute story.

Count Screwloose
Uhhh... yeah... not my cup of tea.

Diane Herself
Message, message, be sure to notice the message.  ;) Still a cute story, though.

Happy New Year!
Most of the story was just okay, but the final panel did make me laugh out loud.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2024, 09:46:51 AM »

Whiz Comics No. 39 (1943)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=3587

You obviously have to buy the book to understand the cover.
Lets See.
Advisory Board Notice.
I have to wonder if Admiral Byrd actually ever read a comic?
And because I'm me, I have to wonder if anybody became rich from investing in War Bonds?
A Nazi in Utopia
So Utopia looks like ancient Rome and is in Yucatan. If you say so.
Golden Arrow. Like the art, adds a lot of energy to the narrative.
Colonel Porterhouse Rides Again
Fun story, The 'its just a dream or a fantasy' narrative is a standard comic book trope, going back to the beginning   
The Mad Artist
As is drawing or painting a picture and walking into it. 
Spy Smasher and the New Years Eve plot.
So this is 1942 going into 1943.
Middle of the War.
Straight-forward story, but hey, 'Happy New Year'
New Years Eve in South China.
But it's Chinese New Year.
[Incidentally in 2024 it's the year of the DRAGON and will be celebrated on February 10th.]
'No excitement on Chinese New Years Eve?' Just exactly where were they?
OK! on the next page we see no less than three Christmas Anthologies.
X-MAS COMICS, GIFT COMICS and HOLIDAY COMICS
Were they ever published?
Ibis the Invinciple
Question, would Ibis with his IbisStick, be a surrogate for Green Lantern? 
The 'Hush my mouth' gag is clever!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2024, 11:54:27 PM »

Scan of Xmas Comics #2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=72928

GCD entry for Gift Comics #2 https://www.comics.org/issue/225462/

GCD entry for Holiday Comics https://www.comics.org/issue/248727/

They all seem to be remaindered books (a new cover over a collection of returned coverless copies).
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2024, 07:24:19 AM »

Scan of Xmas Comics #2 https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=72928

GCD entry for Gift Comics #2 https://www.comics.org/issue/225462/

GCD entry for Holiday Comics https://www.comics.org/issue/248727/

They all seem to be remaindered books (a new cover over a collection of returned coverless copies).

Wow, 324 pages in the first two. That's a big Christmas comic.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2024, 07:36:33 AM »

Scrounge, that's about what I expected.
Although the one we have is a reconstruction. That's a good years read.
It's a pity the other two haven't surfaced so we could host them here.

cheers!
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2024, 12:33:45 AM »

It’s cold cold cold here in southern Ontario this week and hunkering down and reading Captain Marvel seems to be a good idea. Always dug him just as much or a bit more than Superman, and for my money, he had the better serial. Nice artwork and I like how one of the  bad guys looks like Harpo Marx.

Now you guys can talk all you want about implausible plot lines with Batson running off whenever he likes, or Superman never being discovered by Lois. But that drunk hearing a homemade bomb from the street has to rank up there in the hall of fame. Spy Smasher had a good serial too.
You gotta love comics.
Liked the art on the Chinese new year issue, and yeah, that 300 page comic would have been all anybody would have to have bought me for Christmas. I thought I had the world by the tail when I got an 80 page DC giant.
Kilroy kept me reading to see how close they could come to stealing from Archie without OVERTLY crossing that line. Almost like one of those suspense movies where you keep waiting for someone to spring a trip wire on a bomb.

The two books were a lot of fun, Q.Q., Never would have thought of a New Years theme.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2024, 04:23:59 PM »

You're so right Morgus. The good Captain did have the best serial, and I like the Spy Smasher one.
As for the comics, I knew of Captain Marvel in my younger years but the American comics were pretty unknown up here, but there were the Miller b&w reprints which occasionally turned up, whereas Superman, Action etc were on newsagents' counters, often not in number order as they came over as ballast prior to 1960.  But I fell in love with the Big Red Cheese when I bought some of the Spanish b&w reprints while on holiday in Spain 20 odd years ago.  Then it was a labour of love tracking down digital versions of the originals and the British and Spanish language reprints.  Wonderful entertainment, equalled only, imo, by Superman comics during the period when Swan and Anderson were drawing it. They were a class act.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2024, 04:29:38 AM »

Regarding Captain Marvel. I've never cared much for him. I don't hate him, I just don't connect with the character.

I've often wondered how it is that comics readers develop a love for one character but not another. I think it's mostly time and chance. When I started reading comic books as a kid Captain Marvel was already off the radar. Fawcett's comics operation was long gone and literally the only knowledge I had of the good Captain was an advertisement in some old non-CM comic a friend got from his older brother. It was an ad for the "Captain Marvel Magic Eyes" poster. I wondered who Captain Marvel was. But with no comic shops or thrift stores it remained a mystery until Jules Feiffer's The Great Comic Book Heroes appeared years later.

By that time (1965) I was halfway through high school and thoroughly into "realistic" style Silver Age characters. Especially Julie Schwartz' DC line: The Flash (I worshipped Carmine Infantino), Green Lantern, and Adam Strange and the Atomic Knights in Strange Adventures. I'd been primed for that sort of strip by reading Flash Gordon (Raboy) and Buck Rogers (Anderson, Tuska). I passed 1955-1956 in the Philippines, where there was an English language newspaper but no comic books. When we returned to the USA I got into Dell TV and movie comics.

So I came to Captain Marvel as a "future adult" rather than as a kid. The silly storylines and cartoony art simply did not compute. When I began reading fanzines I noticed CM fans all seemed to be a few years older than me and had grown up buying his comics off the stands. So I could understand why such fans would like CM but personally I never warmed to him. [It didn't help that in the 70s C. C. Beck wrote countless fanzine diatribes about how only the Captain Marvel formula was real comics and all modern comics sucked.]
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2024, 09:50:10 AM »

I've often wondered how it is that comics readers develop a love for one character but not another. I think it's mostly time and chance. When I started reading comic books as a kid Captain Marvel was already off the radar. 

Until the 70's I was totally unaware of Captain Marvel. I was more aware of the British MarvelMan.
I think part of the reason why you and I don't love the character as much as other, is that CC Beck and the other creators were aiming them definitively at Children, most of the rest of the Superheroes seen aimed at an adolescent audience.
Your observation that,
I noticed CM fans all seemed to be a few years older than me and had grown up buying his comics off the stands.
would bear this out.
I have recently come to the thought, that Captain Marvel actually won the fight with Superman.
The demise of Fawcett caused an exodus of creators to DC [Not CC Beck though] and they gave us Supergirl, Superboy, various superpets, the legion of Superheroes and the kinds of stories that had been common in Captain Marvel comics. In other words, the fall of Fawcett gave DC the 50's Superman mythos! 
By that time (1965) I was halfway through high school and thoroughly into "realistic" style Silver Age characters. Especially Julie Schwartz' DC line: The Flash (I worshipped Carmine Infantino), Green Lantern, and Adam Strange and the Atomic Knights in Strange Adventures. I'd been primed for that sort of strip by reading Flash Gordon (Raboy) and Buck Rogers (Anderson, Tuska).

You and I are obviously of a similar age, but in those years while we are on the same page regarding Flash Gordon [Raboy], Gil Kane, Adam Strange and the Atomic Knights, Also with DC, Challengers of the unknown, Doom Patrol, JLA. But actually I was drawn back to comics in that period via Dell and Gold Key - Magnus Robot Fighter, Space Family Robinson, Dr Solar, [ which blew me away] and after that and then only, by Marvel.   
Against Kirby, Ditko, Kane, Speigle, Manning and co, Infantino's work at that time, seemed to me minimalist to the point of annoyance. These days, tho, I have come to admire Infantino's editing skills.   
In general, through the Mid-50's to the early 70's whoever was doing the art production for DC robbed the work of much of it's energy, it was mostly dead on the page [Look at early Gil Kane] in contrast to Marvel where the art nearly jumped off the page.
John Verpooten does not get the credit he deserves.
Then again i was disappointed by Tuska's work for Marvel.
In the same period he was turning out work for Gold Key's anthology books like Twilight Zone that was far superior. 
I passed 1955-1956 in the Philippines, where there was an English language newspaper but no comic books. 

Probably needed to be on a US army base. [Or were you?]
cheers!                                             
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2024, 02:24:49 PM »

Yeah, Paw, Curt Swan was great at Superman. I always wondered what it would have been like if HE has drawn Captan Marvel in a revival. I mean, DC owned Captain lock stock and barrel, why not? It would have been the same if Neal Adams had gotten a crack at drawing Blue Beetle. I think that would have been interesting. And Crash, that extendsd to Infantino too. I wanted to see what HE could have done with Blue Beetle. To my mind they were linked by a sort of ‘clothes make the man’ vibe. 
I can’t describe why I dig C.C Beck’s style so much and it can vary a lot. But when it’s on point, there’s a streamlined 40’s vibe to it that can make me smile. And truth be told, I dug the old reprobate ranting on like Charlton Heston about how all the comic guys were going to hell in a hand basket.
Except him.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2024, 05:33:27 PM »

I think you've spotted it. "there’s a streamlined 40’s vibe to it that can make me smile"
Same for me.
When I re-read, as I do occasionally, the early JLA issues, they are a bit daft, perhaps silly and the art isn't up to the Beck standard, imo.  I still get a thrill from them though apart from the fact those early issues are so important. Like Panther, I grew up with Marvelman, Young MM, and Family. Also Ace Hart and other superheroes/villains in b&w British comics as apart from ballast shipments which were intermittent and unreliable, there was no distribution of American comics until late '59 (some claim 1960).
Anyway, I've always loved the obscure side of comics.
A revelation when our newsagents carried those DC tiles that crash mentions, glossy, full of colour and exciting.
Reading Captain Marvel in the British and Spanish reprints is still enjoyable, silly and fun and I think the stories look great in B&W.
Swan on The Big Red Cheese?  Adams, at his peak, on Blue Beetle?  Now there's a fantasy worth having.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2024, 11:41:50 PM »

Oh, to be clear, I'm a fan of CC Beck. Loved his attitude and his idiosyncrasy.
I loved Otto Binder and Beck's Fatman, the human flying saucer. Which to my disappointment, only lasted 3 issues.
To be found here.
Fatman the Human Flying Saucer
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2064

Then there were some non-Fawcett work, like
Delecta of the Planets
To be found here.
in the 6 issues of
Don Fortune Magazine
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=5434
It would be nice to have that in an archive volume. Hint! Himt!

Captain Tootsie, anyone?
[Believe it or don't, I believe he turned up in Savage Dragon]

DC should have let Binder and Beck do Captain Marvel and not attempt to integrate the character into the DC 'Universe'.
And speaking of a fantasy worth having,
Binder and Beck on Superman?
or thinking of what DC did with Stan Lee,
Binder and Beck's JLA?

cheers?   
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2024, 06:02:03 AM »

Well, it seems there's lots of discussion on memories of Captain Marvel and the British Marvelman. I'm a 60s kid, and I don't ever remember seeing Captain Marvel or Marvelman comics in Australia. In fact, my introduction to Captain Marvel was at the movies. There's a film buff in my town who's the grandson of pioneering Aussie filmmaker Charles Chauvel (or so I've heard). Anyway the grandson (Rick) used to run Rick's Flicks, which showed classic movies once a month and there would also be a short. A couple of times, Captain Marvel was the short, but I never saw the whole series. I would have gone to those films in the 1990s or early 2000s. I hadn't seen the original comics until I joined this site. And don't get me started on the stoush between Marvel and DC that means DC now has to have Shazam instead of Captain Marvel!

A couple of years ago, I read a book on comic book history, and was interested to learn that they had modelled Captain Marvel's face on Fred McMurray because they wanted him to be more of an everyman than Superman. I wonder if they asked Fred's permission? Also, the following article argues that Mary Marvel was based on Judy Garland and Spy Smasher was based on Errol Flynn. I can definitely see Fred. Not so sure of the others.

https://screenrant.com/shazam-appearance-looks-based-on-1940s-actor-fred-macmurray/

Random trivia, over and out  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2024, 07:57:39 AM »

Whiz Comics 39

(1) Captain Marvel Finds Utopia
The opening splash panel is reminiscent of the first view of Shangri-La in it's lost valley, as seen in the 1937 film "Lost Horizon" (one of my all-time favourite films), released only a little over 5 years before this comic book hit the newsstand shelves.  And, of course, with many families in USA having been devasted in The Great Depression of the 1930s, and with a major Worldwide War broken out in various regions of The World, it's not surprising that people were thinking about a place with no cares or woes, no needs unfilled, need for money, and, thus, no greed, jealousy, and hatred.  The breaking into a new year is the perfect time for aiming for a big change, as every new year brings that possibility.  Star newscaster, Billy Batson, leaves his newscast in its middle, for what must be the umpteenth time, leading us to wonder why he hasn't been fired long ago.  I guess his boss knows that Batson is also Captain Marvel, and has gone mad, now knowing that "magic" runs The World, and the laws of science no longer hold, and so nothing matters.  The Universe is totally random, and nothing makes sense anymore.So, let him keep his job, so these wonderful Fawcett comic books can have meaning!  Captain Marvel is, indeed, a marvel.  He covers several hundred air miles in a matter of mere seconds.  It's really tough for crooks to make their escapes when he's onto their wicked deeds.

"Captain Marvel can't make a fool, of Von Phool!"  The Nazi spy ring Kommandant was named a VERY un-German-sounding name, only to use that terrible pun-styled word gag.  First of all, the word "von" just means  'from, so, should not be capitalised.  I'm sure there is no place called "Phool", which could be an origin location of a person or family.  IF there were, it wouldn't sound like the English word, "fool".  The "Ph" (would be a borrowed Greek spelling that COULD sound like an "F", but oo sounds like long O as in Das Boot (sounding like English "Boat". 

The villains jump out of their plane as Captain Marvel pulls it back towards USA.  They land in an area of Yucatan, in a valley surrounded by what are drawn to look like high mountain peaks.  But Yucatan is entirely flat (about as flat a large peninsula as can be found anywhere on The Globe.  They should have had them land in a hidden valley over The Sierra Madre range, if the author wanted the location in Mexico.  But, the thick jungles of The Yucatan were barrier enough to hide the ruins of long-since abandoned Mayan cities for hundreds of years.  So, why use the lost valley in a mountain range (just for the Shangri-La reference?).  And THIS weird part of The Yucatan, not far from The Equator, has NO trees (and, apparently, almost no rain! - somewhat like Somalia's situation.  A place like that would be more like Hell, than a Utopia.  Pharo, the local's leader (wise man) is dressed in Greeklike robes, and his people speak Shakespearian English in the familiar form.  Are they Quakers?

Naturally, the German Spy can't get along with the kindly and "weak" locals, but his 2 Italian underlings mirror the US cliché of The Italian Military, as having no stomach for war, and combat, and so, take well to the peaceful, friendly atmosphere.  It was no coincidence that US military was, by the date of this issue, already planning to invade Sicily, and soon after, mainland Italy.  So US policy was to have as much cooperation with The Italians as possible.  So, US propaganda and public mage of The Italians was much less of a dangerous "evil" enemy than that of The Germans, who led The Axis European War effort in all ways.  And that also is reflected in the story's ending in which The German attempts to take over the Utopic City, and murder The old wise leader, while the 2 Italians refuse to help him in that effort.  And, they choose to remain living there, in harmony with the local "peaceniks".

(2) Spy Smasher And The New Year's Eve Plot
"America Smasher" (probably a German Nazi Super Spy, operating in USA, uses the backdrop of revelry on New Years Eve (similar to Egypt using Yom Kippur to make a surprise attack-first strike against Israel during The 1970s, and Hamas doing the same, recently).  The Spy Smasher flies outside the hotel window, after changing into his tights and cape (which must have taken at least 10 minutes).  Does he have the super power of real flight?  Or does he just jump and glide a bit, and hope not to break his legs or wrists in his landing?

So!  America Smasher is NOT from northern Germany!  The villains are always so idiotic.  They always have the chance to kill their nemesis, but NEVER do that.  They always leave a time bomb or Rube Goldberg complicated several-step murder device that ALWAYS fails.  Spy Smasher's alter ego returns to the party.  No one at the party heard the brawl, with bodies hitting the floor, and men screaming, and no one came out to see what had been going on, to be able to witness "Spy Smasher's alter ego changing his garb to that of Spy Smasher.  Spy Smasher didn't need any super powers in this story.  I'd rather have seen him dive out of the window, and do a tuck and roll to land, safely, than appear to fly out, and just run after the villains from there.

(3) Lance O'Casey - New Year's Eve In South China
Stars of adventure/action series often start off stories in which they get into life-ending danger, with the complaint that "I could use a little excitement - but nothing like that could happen here!"  And before the man can finish that sentence a bomb explodes, destroying the nightclub or restaurant, or an unknown assailant streaks towards him, wielding a sharp knife, from behind the curtains!  And, of course, the requisite dying man hands the star the secret plans, or voodoo icon, or damaging letter, before he could reveal what his situation is about.  This is solid cliché, and no surprise.  But it works very well.  And, seconds later, at a heart- exhausting pace, without break, the Tiger Woman, against whom our heroes were warned to not let possess the valuable box, shows up pointing a gun and demanding them to hand over.  Of course, as a matter of principle, the 2 heroes refuse, and at risk of death, run away (without being hit by bullets).  And The Chinese New Year provides the perfect hiding place by fugitives running only a short distance from their pursuers.... ducking under the blankets of a parade dragon.  Genius!  And, all of this leads O'Casey and sidekick to the capture of The Tiger Lady's drug (Opium) ring.  not bad.  lots of action, and local colour.  And with a moral message from the sidekick, at the end, that O'Casey was lucky he didn't eat any of the candy balls (filled with opium).  The art is better than the first 2 stories I read.

(4) Ibis - The Invincible - Magic Against Magic
The purveyor of White Magic in a darkened World plagued by evil sorcerers!  It has an expected beginning, with a wormy soul, of questionable work ethic, digging through the city's War Effort scrap metal dump, late at night, and finding the answer to his dreams, Aladdin's magic lamp.  But this tale has an unusually clever plot, wherein the new owner gives the genie (slave of the lamp) the opening to take his freedom, and in addition, become ALL-POWERFUL!  It's a great idea - but TOO great to waste on the minuscule page count allowed for each story in this type of book. 

I often encountered this problem in developing plot ideas for Uncle Scrooge stories, knowing that if I used this or that concept with endless possibilities for a mere 10-page story, my editor wouldn't allow that idea to be used again if an opportunity to use it in a long 20+ page story in a special book would arise (such as happened with "Scrooge's Marriage".  So, literally hundreds of what seemed like great story ideas were shelved by my production group, hoping we'd get chances to use them in a proper format. 

Despite this problem, I'm intrigued to see how the author developed and finished this story.  The Genie is, of course, power mad and wants revenge for having to do the bidding of many "masters" over the centuries.  Now he'll see how it feels to force his will upon ALL who cross his path.  But, Ibis' trusty "Ibistick" sends him to the location of this new danger.  Ibis sends a magic forcefield to shield The Genie's victim, and the Genie runs away.  The Genie, tired of stealing money and jewels wants a consort, who can be Empress of The World to his new emperor position.  As he knows Ibis' ancient Egyptian "ladyfriend", Taia, from encounters thousands of years before, he sets out to steal her away.  I love the page showing both the Genie and Ibis growing larger, and larger, trying to outgrow the other to win a duel to the death.  They end up larger than The entire Earth and other planets. 

What a disappointment!!!  The ending is simply that Ibis' magic wand is more powerful than the power of the lamp, and Ibis orders The Genie to re-enter the lamp.  We saw absolutely NOTHING of what horrific things The Ibistick could do to him that would make him instantly obey, and become a slave again, dashing all his dreams. The whole idea of having sequential artwork along with some narrative and dialogue in story-telling is because SEEING and "hearing", together, leaves much more impression of what happens in a story, than just hearing about it.  Identifying with it is easier if you "see" it happen, before your very eyes.  You will "believge" it more, and identify with the emotions of the characters.  And as I surmised, the 10-Page limit forced a cutting down of the plot's scope, and caused this story to end abruptly, and unnaturally, and so, to become very unsatisfying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 09:22:46 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2024, 08:09:21 AM »

A couple of years ago, I read a book on comic book history, and was interested to learn that they had modelled Captain Marvel's face on Fred McMurray because they wanted him to be more of an everyman than Superman. I wonder if they asked Fred's permission?

Nope. Sometime in '80s or 90s Entertainment Tonight asked either Fred or his estate (he was still alive at the time, but I'm not sure if he was still giving interviews) and the response was that they had not heard that story before.

There are a number of superheroes (and other comic characters) who got their likeness from actors, some have been confirmed, some it just seems logical. Gil Kane admitted to using Paul Newman as the basis for Hal (Green Lantern) Jordan, of course the artist lived next door to the actor at the time. Ray (The Atom) Palmer was also based on an actor, but I forget the name and I can't find the comic it was mentioned in. Doctor Strange is believed to have been based on Vincent Price. Sabrina the teenage witch was based on Kim Novak, who starred in Bell, Book and Candle which inspired the first Sabrina story.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.