in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

1970s send-away comic?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: 1970s send-away comic?  (Read 101 times)

Hex Enduction Hour

message icon
1970s send-away comic?
« on: January 08, 2024, 07:21:55 PM »

Hello everyone.  When I was a boy in the 1970s, I sent away for a comic advertised in a comic I owned (most likely a Marvel or DC title.)  What I received were multiple copies of about six issues of a black & white comic.  If memory serves correctly, the dimensions were 4.25" x 5.5"

The premise dealt with a time-traveling adventurer who may have been called Malachi (possibly bald with a goatee?)  Edit: the character had adventures stories ranging from the old west, Roman times, and sci-fi. The comic had religious overtones and possibly quoted the bible. I was instructed to give away the other copies and 'spread the word' so to speak. 

Does anyone have knowledge of this comic?  I'd love to see them again.  Thanks in advance.
~HEH
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 07:24:20 PM by Hex Enduction Hour »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: 1970s send-away comic?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2024, 11:40:22 PM »

It sounds like these may have been some of the Jack Chick religious tracts. For many years Chick ground out dozens of  these booklets, which were circulated by believers, left in public places (I found a bunch of them on the ground at the Rose Parade), etc. They were comic-format stories pushing a super-fundamentalist view of Christianity, with lots of conspiracy theories, anti-Catholicism, and antisemitism mixed in. Here is a Wikipedia bio of Chick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick

Chick Publications are still around, and they have a website displaying some of their wares. I will not link to it because I think his stuff is hateful trash. The only thing that makes me think the books you received weren't Chick tracts is that you're unsure if they were religiously-themed. Chick left no doubt what he was talking about. All the other factors in your description, including the preoccupation with Malachi, fit his profile.
ip icon Logged

Hex Enduction Hour

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 12:24:31 AM »

Hi CrashRyan,

That's a keen observation - I didn't occur to me that the comic I'm describing sounds a lot like a Chic tract. This isn't the first time I've inquired online about the mystery comic and ruling out Chic tracts should have been in my prior descriptions. I used to own the entire Chic tract collection, but eventually sold them off on eBay sometime in the 2000s.

Another aspect of the comic I remember was that the characters were long and gaunt and a lot like Jack Katz's people in his comic, The First Kingdom.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks for your reply

It sounds like these may have been some of the Jack Chick religious tracts. For many years Chick ground out dozens of  these booklets, which were circulated by believers, left in public places (I found a bunch of them on the ground at the Rose Parade), etc. They were comic-format stories pushing a super-fundamentalist view of Christianity, with lots of conspiracy theories, anti-Catholicism, and antisemitism mixed in. Here is a Wikipedia bio of Chick:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Chick

Chick Publications are still around, and they have a website displaying some of their wares. I will not link to it because I think his stuff is hateful trash. The only thing that makes me think the books you received weren't Chick tracts is that you're unsure if they were religiously-themed. Chick left no doubt what he was talking about. All the other factors in your description, including the preoccupation with Malachi, fit his profile.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 05:04:09 AM »

Crash said,
Chick Publications are still around, and they have a website displaying some of their wares. I will not link to it because I think his stuff is hateful trash. 

I count myself an active Christian, Crash, and I absolutely agree with you. But, I would say, I know his stuff is hateful trash! 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 05:14:27 PM »

Last year I started an article on religious comics and thought it would be clever to use 2 creators from opposite sides of the Christian publications.  Dudley D Watkins and Jack Chick.  Watkins was a sincere, caring person a committed Christian who was also a bit of a genius as far as comics are concerned.  Having researched Chick and his awful publications, I gave up, as I didn't want to sully Watkins' memory using him on the same page as Mr. Nasty.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.