in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello and thank you

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello and thank you  (Read 155 times)

Hex Enduction Hour

message icon
Hello and thank you
« on: January 09, 2024, 01:00:14 AM »

Hello and Happy New Year everybody,

I had registered with Comic Book Plus in 2018, but never interacted much with the site and forums. I may have downloaded a few files for viewing and reading, however I haven't returned since then.

Today on YouTube I discovered Flashlight Audio Books.  The host narrates comics and he uses and acknowledges Comic Book Plus as a source.  His video https://youtu.be/YKcscIQNAoA?feature=shared had me navigate to the Chilling Tales #13 file and discover the interior art of Matt Fox.  Though I'm familiar with Fox's cover art, I have never really paid attention to his comic pages.  The Hand of Glory really caught my eye.  Fox's style resembles Basil Wolverton and perhaps Chester Brown.  The subject matter with the severed hand holding a very phallic candle has me chuckling out loud.  I've found a checklist of Fox's work that I plan to use to discover more of his contributions.

I'm a lifelong comics fan having grown up in the 70s as an Avengers fan, though I enjoyed just about any other comic I could acquire at garage sales, flea markets and the Alameda Naval Base PX. In the early 2000s, I relied on blogs to discover the comics that came before my time - mostly Mr. Karswell's amazing The Horrors of it All and the long-gone Mr. Door Tree.

I was a big boardgaming fan from 2004 and onwards, but have largely moved away from that hobby as my children grow older.  Through gaming, I became a big fan and user of forums. It's nice to find a discussion format here on Comic Book Plus. 

One more thing about me - I prefer physical copies of comics, but my eyes aren't as good as they use to be.
I have been using an HDMI cable to run my laptop through large screen televisions and the larger display not only helps with my old eyesight, but the comics look even better at a big size.  Very much like the artist and artisan editions of comic book art of recent years.  *I recommend anyone to try out this large screen approach if they haven't already*

Thanks again for this wonderful resource. I've already downloaded a ton of files to read on my large screen. 

EDIT: If you're wondering - yes, The Fall are my favorite band.  Rest in Peace, Mark E. Smith-uh!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 01:02:33 AM by Hex Enduction Hour »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Hello and thank you
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 05:15:31 AM »

Hello Hex Enduction Hour! You registered in 2018 but your profile says you are a Newbie. That doesn't sound accurate to me. I wouldn't exactly call you a Newbie.   
I read your story and can relate to a lot of it.
  I have been using an HDMI cable to run my laptop through large screen televisions and the larger display not only helps with my old eyesight, but the comics look even better at a big size. 

I've considered doing that but haven't got round to it, primarily for budget [and time] reasons.
  It's nice to find a discussion format here on Comic Book Plus. 

It's one of CB+'s strengths, I feel.
Please increase your patronage and share your knowledge and stories with us.
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

fethiye

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2024, 06:39:29 PM »

Hello, i am also new here

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:41:58 PM by fethiye »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2024, 10:36:44 PM »

fethiye, Welcome and Join in!
Lots to d o and see here.
Can you tell us a little about yourself?

cheers!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 05:35:12 PM »

Hi fethiye.  Welcome to CB+
As Panther says, lots to discover and read.  Please join in the conversations.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.