in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Paul Neary R.I.P.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Paul Neary R.I.P.  (Read 181 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Paul Neary R.I.P.
« on: February 19, 2024, 12:35:37 PM »

I had a note from Alan Davis this morning, at the same time I was reading obituaries on DCM, talking about the passing of Paul Neary. Here's the memory of this excellent artist from Sydney Jordan.

"When in the early eighties Paul Neary bought the top floor flat in my family home in Surrey. He brought with him a wide and masterly knowledge of the demands of comic page art. As Alan Davis has movingly chronicled.
Paul's powerful and convincing style and his whole command of the comics scene then were to come to the aid of this hoary Scotsman from the dwindling ranks of the three panels a day artists.
His work on my Lance McLane especially the subtle amendments he made to the appearance of Fortuna the android made her unlikely looks sympathetic and above all believable
There was a side to Paul's nature that reveals perhaps a lesser known aspect of this wonderfully complex man
He was loved by my family including the cats and Jeeves our great Dane and also Jasper the Jackdaw who had fallen from his nest in one of the chimneys and rescued from the fireplace. Paul gave him his name then proceeded to gear the household to the task of rehabilitation. Months later Jasper would fly in and out of our house to be fed Paul would persuade him to roost with his fellows in the garden. He partly succeeded but then each time he drove off on some mission or other Jasper would fly to his outstretched arm and take a ride until the drive curved and the house was masked by the trees.
It was this memory that Paul recalled when we last spoke. This is the man we mourn.
I hope that Paul's wife Bernie will take some comfort from the flood of condolences for her grievous loss"

A sad day, indeed.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Paul Neary R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 07:33:25 AM »

One of a number of artists whose work was individualistic and instantly recognizable.
https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2024/02/16/paul-neary-rip/

Also, just noted from the same source.

Enrique (aka Enric) Badia Romero
May 13, 1930 – February 15, 2024
Spanish comic artist Romero, who gained fame with British comic strips, has died.

https://www.dailycartoonist.com/index.php/2024/02/17/romero-rip/

We’re sorry to report the passing of Spanish comic artist Enric Badia Romero, also known as Enrique Badia Romero, best known, perhaps, for his work on the Modesty Blaise and Axa, the latter created by him. He was 94.
The Book Palace was among the first to announce his passing, who continue to sell some of his art. “We had very good connections to this power house of illustration who drew more Modesty Blaise strips than any other artist,” says Geoff West, “and of course he will be remembered as the creator of Axa.”

Not Cheers!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.