in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

BANACEK

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: BANACEK  (Read 184 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
BANACEK
« on: March 08, 2024, 07:30:40 PM »

This just in:
BANACEK: The Complete Series

Now here's an oddball package. Arts Alliance America put out the 1st season on 5-15-2007. They put out the 2nd season on 1-22-2008. They put out "The Complete Series" on 9-30-2008. Now, Season 1 has 2 discs, Season 2 has 3 discs. "The Complete Series" has BOTH previous packages in a SLIPCASE. I mean, really, they could have fit all 5 discs in ONE box, and taken up half the shelf space, but that would have required more work and money on their part.

But HERE's the part that "gets" me. THE PILOT MOVIE is included as a "bonus" with Season 2. NOT Season 1, Season 2.

You wonder, what kind of drugs was someone on when they did that?
"OOPS! We FORGOT the 1st episode!!!"

;D

Right now, I just wish more of the later NBC Mystery Movie series had "official" releases. Most-- like HEC RAMSEY, MADIGAN, COOL MILLION, FARADAY & COMPANY, TENAFLY, AMY PRENTISS, McCOY, LANIGAN'S RABBI, don't. You gotta find those-- if you can-- on "BOOTLEG" sets, recorded off the air! (I've already got MADIGAN, and HEC RAMSEY will be next.)

The only "later" series that got an official release-- TWICE, in fact-- was THE SNOOP SISTERS. I got the 2nd version, which actually includes an earlier, unrelated movie that apparently "inspired" the series. MOST of these series were "inspired" by earlier, unconnected films... like "The Thomas Crown Affair" (Banacek), "Coogan's Bluff" (McCloud), "They Came To Rob Las Vegas" (Banacek), "Do Not Fold, Spindle Or Mutilate" (The Snoops Sisters), "The Sting" (McCoy) and even "The Mystery Of Marie Roget" (Quincy, M.E.).

« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 07:35:38 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: BANACEK
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 03:29:16 AM »

BANACEK
The Vanishing Armored Car Caper   (7 of 10)

An armored car carrying over one million dollars in gold somehow vanishes in the middle of a texas desert. Tire tracks go off-road and end at a sheer cliff. After 60 days, the insurance company is obliged to allow "anyone else" to try and recover the truck and the money... but what one company man is really afraid of is... "Banacek". He makes a living-- actually he makes a TON of money-- by collecting 10% of what he saves the insurance company from having to pay out. He's smooth and suave and BRILLIANT and never, ever seems to lose his cool.

About 3 weeks after the 1st season of The NBC Mystery Movies ended, this 2-hour pilot movie aired. I guess it was successful, as the following September, when NBC expanded the Mystery Movies to 2 nights a week (Wednesday AND Sunday), BANACEK became a regular series, rotating with MADIGAN and COOL MILLION. I came in a bit late to the party, but I eventually got hooked on the first 2 of those. MADIGAN only ran one season, but BANACEK ran two-- until its star had "creative differences" with the network. (I'm not sure what that means, but the same problem also ended HEC RAMSEY after two seasons.)

Anyone who saw THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR (1968) before this would probably recognize where a big part of it came from. In that, Steve McQueen played a bored rich guy who plans a bank heist, while Faye Dunaway played an unscruplulous investigator bent on getting the money back. McQueen's "Thomas Crown" and George Peppard's "Thomas Banacek" could have been brothers separated at birth. The series essentially took the villain of the movie and turned him into the hero.

But there's more! It was pointed out that the plot of an armored car vanishing in the desert was resued from another film from 1968-- THEY CAME TO ROB LAS VEGAS. I've seen that recently! The main difference is, that film focused mostly on the bad guys, this one sees it from the point of view of the investigator. I'll also mention one other film about an armored car heist, GUNS GIRLS AND GANGSTERS (1959), which also involves someone with a rifle shooting out a tire as part of the heist. I just love tracking down "influences" like this.

This episode reveals how Banacek's father worked for a company for 20 years before suddenly being fired and replaced by a machine. We then find out it was the very same insurance company he takes such pleasure out of being paid HUGE sums of money for doing their work for them.

Murray Matheson plays "Felix Mulholland", owner of a rare book store who provides his friend Thomas all sorts of obscure information. I've seen him in countless things, but the ones that stand out are a McCLOUD ("The Disposal Man") and a BATTLESTAR GALACTICA ("Greetings From Earth"). He's sort of "Rex Harrison-lite".

Ralph Manza is "Jay Drury", an Italian limosine driver who becomes friends with his new employer, and likes to guess how things may have been stolen. I've also seen him in countless things, including an episode of THE NANNY where he was friends with "Grandma Yetta".

George Murdock is "Cavanaugh", the head of the insurance company who realizes that in the long run, it's cheaper to pay Banacek than keep wasting money on his own investigators, or, worse, paying out the full amount of whatever is stolen. He appears in several episodes of the series.

Charles Robinson is "Arthur Patrick McKinney", a young, arrogant, insurance investigator who absolutely hates Banacek, and would do anything to see him fail. I worked with someone like that in the 80s-- a real scum. He seems set up to be a recurring foil, yet somehow never returned after the pilot movie.

Christine Belford is "Carlie Kirkland", another employee of the insurance company, who winds up getting romantic with Banacek... before she goes behind his back. When he forgives his chauffer for doing the same thing, but doesn't forgive her, he says, "All Jay and I shared was a limosine." She returned in several episodes of season 2, but by then had become just plain annoying. Murdock and Belford also later turned up on BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, he as the ship's doctor, she as a dangerous convict assigned to a suicide mission.

Ed Nelson (a very familiar face on TV for decades, including 514 episodes of PEYTON PLACE) is "Geoff Holden", a rather-crooked rich land developer who is just so much of an obvious main suspect, you kinda start hoping he WASN'T behind the robbery and several murders.

As with too many of the NBC Mystery Movies, I never got to see this pilot until some years after the series ended! It's a good film that sets up a lot, but it's never been one of my favorites, perhaps because of that extra half-hour. To me, the 90-minute format (including commercials) was perfect for these kind of movies, but when NBC started wanting them all to fit a 2-hour slot, too many of them felt terribly-padded. I'm afraid that includes this one.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 04:55:16 AM »

The Collected Wisdom of Banacek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykuGCT2uixk

enjoy!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 03:42:53 AM »

BANACEK:  Let’s Hear It For A Living Legend
The Football Player Vanishes   (5 of 10)

On live TV, a football player is tackled by 4 guys. But when they up, the man they tackled is GONE. The police and the insurance company both believe it's a publicity stunt, but, the team owner tries to convince Banacek it isn't. He agrees to look into it because, as he says, "I'd like to know how they did it."

I'm not big on sports, especially football, but this is a mystery show, so, I did my best to pay attention. It wasn't easy, as somehow, the connections, how certain facts came together to steer the investigator in the right direction, weren't always obvious or clear. And I watched this twice back-to-back this week, something I never do! Still, my late best friend used to say, that COLUMBO and BANACEK share in common, that, to him, the crime at the beginning, and the solution at the end, are the ONLY parts worth watching. Everything in between is just scene after scene of people standing around talking. I never really agreed with that, and found his cynical attitude kind of sad. Of course, he was also a speed-reader, and often went through an entire novel in one sitting-- getting the plot, but NO human element out of any story in the process. Too bad. I'd rather take my time and enjoy the ride.

Robert Webber (12 ANGRY MEN, REVENGE OF THE PINK PANTHER) is "Jerry Brinkman", the team owner, who at one point, Banacek suspects is behind it all, since he's got the best motive.

Stefanie Powers (THE GIRL FROM UNCLE) is "Angie Ives", ex-wife of the vanished player. She says she just wants to know he's alright, while slowly becoming interested in the Polish guy trying to find him.

Madlyn Rhue (STAR TREK: "Space Seed") is "Holly Allencamp", a rather flaky barfly who may hold a key piece of info to solve the mystery.

Conrad Janis (one of those ubituitous character actors you've seen in everything without knowing his name) is the video technician who helps Banacek view the original films of the game where the mystery occured.

Jock Mahoney (TARZAN GOES TO INDIA) is "Albert Bates", an ex-military guy responsible for a KIDNAPPING pulled off in such a way that until a ransom note arrived days later, nobody even realized was a kidnapping.

A curious piece of trivia, never mentioned in the episode itself, is that the office of the team owner is in the SAME building that houses the Insurance Company that winds up paying Banacek for finding the missing player.

How did they do it? WATCH THE MOVIE! I'm not gonna tell you.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 02:13:41 AM »

BANACEK:  Project Phoenix
How DOES a flatcar vanish from the middle of a moving train?   (6 of 10)

That's the question, when an experimental prototype car is being moved by railroad, and the train was going 50 MPH and never stopped along the route. I remembered how this one was done... it was the rest of the story I had virtually no memory of. Which makes re-watching it all the more fun.

William Windom (MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT) and Bert Convy (THE SNOOP SISTERS) are "Harry Wexler" & "Douglas Ruderman", owners of the company that designed the missing car.

Percy Rodrigues (STAR TREK: "Court Martial") and Herb Edelman (STRIKE FORCE) are "Faldor" and "Joe Haddenhurst", insurance company reps who would hate to pay out what the car was insured for; the latter has a personal hatred of Banacek, who will collect his usual 10% if he finds the car.

Peter Mark Richman (LONGSTREET) is "Andy Cole", owner of the rival car company, who will win big if the car isn't found and his own wins a big contract. More con-artist than designer, he's a prime suspect for who might be behind the theft.

Joanna Pettet (THE BEST HOUSE IN LONDON) is "Christine Verdon", who once worked for Cole, was also in love with him, and was caught stealing plans from his rival's company. She insists she was framed... and only conceited womanizer Thomas Banacek seems to be on her side.

Stafford Repp (BATMAN) is a helpful local police chief, who looks like he put on quite a few pounds since 1968. Bruce Kirby (who's been in practically everythng including 9 episodes of COLUMBO) is "Collier", an undertaker who also owns a laudromat. John Fielder (BUFFALO BILL) has a very unusual role as "Paddle", a hobo who once worked for a large bank, who provides Banacek some important info.

I mostly remember the ending of this because Banacek demonstrated how the crime was committed using a table-top model railroad set, and I was very big into those when I growing up. I won't tell you how it was done, but according to the Trivia section, the same method of stealing a train carriage from a moving train can be found in the story, "Sir Gilbert Murrell's Picture", from the book "Thrilling Stories of the Railway" (1912), by the Rev. Victor L. Whitchurch. Now if only this TV-movie had actually included that in the credits-- TSK!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.