in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looking for Leopold-Loeb inspired comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looking for Leopold-Loeb inspired comics  (Read 53 times)

erebain

message icon
Looking for Leopold-Loeb inspired comics
« on: April 04, 2024, 10:46:17 AM »

Hello all,

I've been trying to find comics that were inspired by the Leopold-Loeb case (the 1924 murder of Bobby Franks by Nathan Leopold and Richard Loeb), but so far have had little success. All I've found are newspaper comics from 1924, an issue of Pocket Chiller Library, two issues of Spider-Man, and Eightball by Clowes.

This was a prominent case when it happened, and with the amount of true crime and detective comics out there I felt sure that there would be more old comics telling the story. Can anyone recall seeing any comics you think were based on their case? Stories about them or fiction based on them would probably involve two male killers, maybe with alliterative last names, kidnaping and/or killing a random child. The killers would likely be young, rich, and have very little motive beyond superiority or a thrill. There might be wording used like 'perfect crime' or 'thrill kill,' as those were popular phrases used to describe their case.

I'm hoping to study the fiction that's been based on this case, and there's dozens of adaptations, but I have a significant gap from the 1920s-1950s which I'd like to flesh out, and the medium of comics is barley represented so far. Any help would be really appreciated!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Looking for Leopold-Loeb inspired comics
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2024, 11:13:19 AM »

That was a particularly disturbing crime and it is possible that it was deemed unsuitable for treatment in a comic format because children would have access to it.
ip icon Logged

erebain

message icon
Re: Looking for Leopold-Loeb inspired comics
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2024, 11:43:01 AM »

That makes sense, I wondered if the age of the victim (14) and the implications of homosexuality may have made people reluctant to tell the story. Reading some of the other true crime comics on the site, most of them seem to focus on cases with adult victims.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.