in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #329 - Olympics-themed stories

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #329 - Olympics-themed stories  (Read 529 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #329 - Olympics-themed stories
« on: August 04, 2024, 10:24:51 PM »

Hi everyone

You might have noticed there's some sporting thing in Paris at the moment  :D In honour of the Olympics, I have chosen three books that each have an Olympics-themed story. As always, feel free to read as much or as little as you like, but I was mainly interested in the Olympics stories.

Phantom Lady #22 (1949)

Second story starting on p. 11 – Olympic Saboteurs

Who knew that America’s performance in the 1948 Olympics would have been a disaster if not for the intervention of Phantom Lady? Now you know!

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26919

True Comics #73 (1948)

26-Mile Dash – starts p. 31 – 4-page story on the history of the marathon.

You might also be interested in the 6-page story about Walt Disney that starts on p. 22.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=17053

Whiz Comics #29 (1942)

First story - Captain Marvel at the Pan-American Olympics

Well, not quite the Olympics, but at least it has the word in the title  :D  (If you want to look at the other stories, you'll find that a few of the pages in Spy Smasher are blurred, but the rest are okay.)

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59774

I'll look forward to your comments.

Cheers

Quirky Quokka
« Last Edit: August 04, 2024, 10:32:01 PM by Quirky Quokka »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #329 - Olympics-themed stories
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2024, 06:27:12 AM »

QQ.
Well played!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2024, 04:20:39 AM »

Phantom Lady #22

The Case of the Robbing Robot!
Did this story have an editor? Did he understand English? The police chief is called Donovan on page 1 & Patton on page 2, and sentences are missing words.

If the patsy is a deaf mute who can't read or write, how did the Dome convince him to do the job?

The mirror on the crooks' car must be badly misadjusted if it's showing the driver the top of his car. Far more likely would be the crooks hearing her moving on the roof.

Soooo... Don was wearing a bullet-proof vest under the skimpy Phantom Lady costume? Was it invisible or skin tone colored?

The art was fine, the story needed work.

Olympic Saboteurs!
What drugs was the architect of that building on? I mean that ball snaps and flies off the edge of the building and one would expect it to hit the street below, but instead it falls straight down through an outdoor patio, then through an interior bathroom, a bar, and a stage.

Amazing that the Olympics just let anyone fill in for a sick athlete.  ;)

A woman fighting a biological male in the boxing contest? This story was decades ahead of its time.  ;)

How heavy are those metal balls? You'd think Slicky would end up with a concussion, at the very least.

The Roundabout Justice
Eh, okay, but nothing special.

The Crime of Roger Caseman
If only he had gotten a second opinion... or put on a garish costume, given himself a ridiculous name, and just captured crooks it would have been fine.  ;)

Joe Noon - Killer
Okay crime story.

Well, the American judge gives this book a 5, but oh, the Russian judge gives it a 1.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2024, 08:14:46 AM »

Phantom Lady #22

Olympic Saboteurs!
What drugs was the architect of that building on? I mean that ball snaps and flies off the edge of the building and one would expect it to hit the street below, but instead it falls straight down through an outdoor patio, then through an interior bathroom, a bar, and a stage.

Amazing that the Olympics just let anyone fill in for a sick athlete.  ;)

A woman fighting a biological male in the boxing contest? This story was decades ahead of its time.  ;)

How heavy are those metal balls? You'd think Slicky would end up with a concussion, at the very least.

Well done for reading the whole book, SuperScrounge. I'll just comment on the Olympic story for now.

I did think the art was interesting as it showed the ball whizzing through those floors. But you're right, of course. Very weird building structure if it actually went through all those floors. I thought something was going to be wrong with the ball, but it turned out it's just really heavy  :D And if Slicky wasn't killed by the ball, he should have at least had a permanent brain injury. I always worry about the judges at the shotput and hammer throw at the Olympics. Definitely wouldn't want to be in the line of fire of a wayward shot!

And yes, it is amazing that Phantom Lady was able to fill in for all those athletes. If only that was allowed today, it would certainly make for an interesting show.  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 01:30:40 AM »

True Comics #73

Stars of the Past
Interesting.

Special Agent of the FBI
Is he looking for a long cool woman in a black dress?  ;)

Kind of interesting, but the story feels like details get handled in broad strokes. I mean a fictional story might focus in on the little details and how it relates to solving the case, but here details get mentioned and then ignored. For instance what was Mr. Blank being extorted for? That could add some interesting details to the story as well as giving the police & FBI angles to work on when trying to find suspects.

American Adventures in Industry
Interesting spy story, er, I mean history of the American textile industry.  ;)

You're the Detective
The butler did it!  ;)

If they could get the crook's fingerprints off the gas can, why did they need Jack Robbins to figure it out?

Supersonics
Interesting.

My Most Interesting True Experience
Interesting. Looking up information on the actor also turned up the tidbit that Berlin Express was the first movie filmed in Germany after the war.

Ralph Kiner
At first glance this looked like just another comic feature and not an ad. Interesting to see the ad company go to the trouble to make an ad that fits in with the comic contents.

26-Mile Dash!
I wouldn't call 26 miles a dash.  ;)

Sooooooo... to honor an achievement that KILLED the man who did it they made it a sport??? Maybe it would be more of an honor if the people who race it die at the end?  ;)

They list some possible winners for the 1948 Olympics Marathon, which hadn't been run when the issue was put together, so I looked it up and the winner was Phantom Lady... oh, wait a minute, no it was Delfo Cabrera Gómez.  ;)

Nice issue. The American judge gives it a 7, oh, but the Russian judge gives it a 1. Tsk, tsk.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2024, 06:58:43 PM »

Nice selections, and for once I read all three end to end.
PHANTOM LADY lovely as always and nice quality control between stories with different artists. Always nice to see a profile of Barbara Stanwyck on page 11. I wonder what a Captain Marvel wrist watch is worth today?

TRUE COMICS Lots of fun, especially the Robert Ryan story. One of the reasons I put on THE WILD BUNCH just about every year. Laughed out loud on page 15 with the guy in the centre touting the cheerful well ventilated surroundings. REALLY looked like Lee Harvey Oswald.

WHIZ COMICS. I can always make time for Captain Marvel. Same question about the button you got when you joined the club. I wonder what it’s going for today? And how often it gets counterfeited? Someone was telling me about all the bogus Maltese Falcons running around and the money involved was amazing. I’m willing to bet it’s the same thing here.

Thanks for the selection, Q.Q.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2024, 09:32:39 PM »

Phantom Lady 22 - Olympics Saboteur

Not much to say about this story that hasn't already been stated above by other posters.  I can't believe that a heavy ball that is thrown from distance at a decent speed (velocity) and knocks fairly straight-on into a human's head doesn't kill the man, or at the very least break his skull and cause permanent, debilitating brain damage.

It's awfully obvious even to 7-13 year-old readers that The Olympics Committee wouldn't ever allow people "off the street" to compete in the Olympic events representing their country, as a fill-in for a whole national team of event participants, without having won that position in Olympic trial.  And then letting a woman fight a man in boxing, is another unbelievable occurrence.  I understand that many kids who like to see "unbelievable" feats that break the laws of nature would like such a story.  But it is too ridiculous for it to be a satisfying read for me.  Someone would call me a hypocryte for enjoying funny animal stories.  But, i enjoy them for the humour and mainly the animation-style artwork. 

« Last Edit: August 12, 2024, 11:43:58 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2024, 09:02:09 AM »

Phantom Lady 22 - Olympics Saboteur

Not much to say about this story that hasn't already been stated above by other posters.  I can't believe that a heavy ball that is thrown from distance at a decent speed (velocity) and knocks fairly straight-on into a human's head doesn't kill the man, or at the very least break his skull and cause permanent, debilitating brain damage.

It's awfully obvious even to 7-13 year-old readers that The Olympics Committee wouldn't ever allow people "off the street" to compete in the Olympic events representing their country, as a fill-in for a whole national team of event participants, without having won that position in Olympic trial.  And then letting a woman fight a man in boxing, is another unbelievable occurrence.  I understand that many kids who like to see "unbelievable" feats that break the laws of nature would like such a story.  But it is too ridiculous for it to be a satisfying read for me.  Someone would call me a hypocryte for enjoying funny animal stories.  But, i enjoy them for the humour and mainly the animation-style artwork.

Thanks Robb. I guess with funny animal stories, though, there's no doubt that they're meant to be fantasy. We know the animals can't really speak and get up to all the things they do in the comics (or do they??). But I guess with a crime story, people expect a bit more realism even if there is some literary licence.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2024, 09:09:36 AM »

SuperScrounge said:

My Most Interesting True Experience
Interesting. Looking up information on the actor also turned up the tidbit that Berlin Express was the first movie filmed in Germany after the war.

Morgus said:

TRUE COMICS Lots of fun, especially the Robert Ryan story.

I probably would have skipped that story if the two of you hadn't mentioned it. From the illustration, I was expecting a bit of Hollywood fluff, but it must have been interesting to film in Berlin so soon after the war. I wondered how on earth they were assigned the staff car of the former Nazi Foreign Minister.

SuperScrounge said:

26-Mile Dash!
I wouldn't call 26 miles a dash.  ;)

Sooooooo... to honor an achievement that KILLED the man who did it they made it a sport??? Maybe it would be more of an honor if the people who race it die at the end?  ;)

I didn't realise that first Greek runner had died after delivering his message. If I ran a marathon, I would die on the way rather than at the end. I think I ran 100 metres once  :D

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2024, 09:21:27 AM »

Nice selections, and for once I read all three end to end.
PHANTOM LADY lovely as always and nice quality control between stories with different artists. Always nice to see a profile of Barbara Stanwyck on page 11. I wonder what a Captain Marvel wrist watch is worth today?

TRUE COMICS Lots of fun, especially the Robert Ryan story. One of the reasons I put on THE WILD BUNCH just about every year. Laughed out loud on page 15 with the guy in the centre touting the cheerful well ventilated surroundings. REALLY looked like Lee Harvey Oswald.

WHIZ COMICS. I can always make time for Captain Marvel. Same question about the button you got when you joined the club. I wonder what it’s going for today? And how often it gets counterfeited? Someone was telling me about all the bogus Maltese Falcons running around and the money involved was amazing. I’m willing to bet it’s the same thing here.

Thanks for the selection, Q.Q.

Well done, Morgus! You get the gold medal for finishing first and completing all elements.

I might be being a bit obtuse, but I couldn't work out which panel you thought looked like a profile of Barbara Stanwyck? Is it the last panel in that first story? Not your typical leading lady, but 'Double Indemnity' is one of my favourite Noir movies. Can't work out why Fred McMurray fell for that dame, though.

And I've found a Captain Marvel wristwatch for you. Selling for $313.99 at the moment: (If the link no longer works, it may have been sold before you see this.)

https://www.hollywoodmemorabilia.com/en/marvel/captain-marvel/1948-captain-marvel-wristwatch-by-fawcett-ex-condition/o-2356287122+t-76374836+p-7825148421+z-9-1765809618

And of course, now that I've looked that info up, I'll get their ads forever!

But wait! You mean my copy of the Maltese Falcon isn't the real one? I paid a good $15 for it!  ;)

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2024, 01:10:41 AM »

Whiz Comics #29

Capt. Marvel at the Pan-American Olympics
Fun little romp.

Guess I'd have to read the first Lieutenant Marvels story to see if anyone had a problem with referring to the main Billy as 'Real Billy'. ;)

Four lightning bolts at once was interesting since, I think, a later story established that Zeus throws the lightning bolt to change Billy to the Big Red Cheese and vice versa. So does Zeus throw four lightning bolts at once, or does he have three assistants?  ;)

The Taming of Buffalo Bull
Okay.

The Stolen Lighthouse
Okay.

The White Lord of Boru Bu
Uhhhhh... yeah.... not good.

The Song of the Slaves
Not good.

Ruthven the Warlock
Okay, but nothing special.

It started off fine, but some weak stories hurt it in the long run, so the American judge gives it 5, and the Russian judge gives it 1.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2024, 12:20:55 AM »

“Barbara” is on page 11. Three quarter profile, with what looks like a guy and a spear flying over her head. Also recommended is THE LADY EVE. She’s funny and dangerous. And, no, I could never figure out why Fred didn’t bust her in DOUBLE INDEMNITY either.
Aside from the Batmobile, the REAL Falcon is pretty much the most expensive movie prop around...over 4 million I think. But counterfeiters have made a fortune out of making copies and selling them to the gullible after convincing them they had been left in the backroom for decades. Depending on the counterfeiters greed, they can charge anywhere from 200 to 20,000 a pop. And they aren’t worth anymore than those copies we have.
My copy came from Macao, friend picked it up as a retirement gift for me, and for the shipping price tossed in one each for my two kids.
Captain Marvel is still on sale, and thank you for the link, but the price HAS gone down. To 283 US.
My uncle got to see Robert Ryan when he campaigned for Robert Kennedy back in ’68. Used to talk about it when he played CALIFORNIA BLOODLIINES by John Stewart. Stewart played for the crowds.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2024, 02:56:47 AM »

“Barbara” is on page 11. Three quarter profile, with what looks like a guy and a spear flying over her head. Also recommended is THE LADY EVE. She’s funny and dangerous. And, no, I could never figure out why Fred didn’t bust her in DOUBLE INDEMNITY either.
Aside from the Batmobile, the REAL Falcon is pretty much the most expensive movie prop around...over 4 million I think. But counterfeiters have made a fortune out of making copies and selling them to the gullible after convincing them they had been left in the backroom for decades. Depending on the counterfeiters greed, they can charge anywhere from 200 to 20,000 a pop. And they aren’t worth anymore than those copies we have.
My copy came from Macao, friend picked it up as a retirement gift for me, and for the shipping price tossed in one each for my two kids.
Captain Marvel is still on sale, and thank you for the link, but the price HAS gone down. To 283 US.
My uncle got to see Robert Ryan when he campaigned for Robert Kennedy back in ’68. Used to talk about it when he played CALIFORNIA BLOODLIINES by John Stewart. Stewart played for the crowds.

Thanks Morgus. I can see Babs now  :D

I was kidding about having a copy of the Maltese Falcon, but glad to know you have one. I'm sure it's one of the originals. Why else would it come from Macao? Actually maybe you can clear up a disagreement hubby and I have about the ending of that movie. When Humphrey Bogart says it's 'the stuff that dreams are made of', I wondered if it was a double-double cross and that Sidney Greenstreet only scraped off the outer surface and thinks it's fake, but Humphrey knows it's actually under another layer. Hubby thinks it's a fake. Or is the ending meant to be ambiguous?

Actually my must-have item of movie memorabilia would be Judy Garland's ruby slippers. Several real copies exist, though given the asking price, it would be cheaper for me to fly to the States and see the ones in the Smithsonian.

I thought you would have bought that Captain Marvel watch by now. Let us know when you have it  ;)

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2024, 03:06:09 AM »

Hi everyone

On a kind-of related tangent, I couldn't help noticing how stereotyped the character of Steamboat was in the Captain Marvel story. According to my friends at Wikipedia, Steamboat was initially introduced in an attempt to lure African-American readers, but the African-American readers and others complained about the stereotyped way in which the character was drawn and acted. So he was discontinued after 1945.

I looked at the references in that article, which led me down another rabbit hole. In a post on the Screen Rant site, Steamboat was named 3rd worst superhero sidekick of all time, behind Ebony White from The Spirit at No. 2 and Supergirl's horse Comet at No. 1. I can remember us having a discussion about Ebony White a while back on this forum, so I would agree with that one. I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with Comet's body of work, perhaps just as well  :D Uncle Marvel also gets a nod (I did think he was dodgy and should have had a 'working with children' check). They also mention Snapper Carr, the beatnik friend of Justice League. I only discovered him a few days ago when I bought a facsimile issue of a 1960 Justice League Comic. You can find the full list at the link below. Any agreements, disagreements or additions?

https://screenrant.com/worst-superhero-sidekicks-ever-marvel-dc/

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2024, 06:05:45 AM »

QQ posted,
"superhero sidekick" Supergirl's horse Comet at No. 1

Was that a deliberate pun?
Actually, Comet wasn't exactly a sidekick. He wasn't exactly a horse either.
He  was a man magicked into being a horse, and he was in love with Supergirl.
I know girls often have deep relationships with horses but that was ridiculous.
Eww!
What about Plastic Man's sidekick, Woozy Winks? Or Chameleon Boy's sidekick 'Proty' - a ball of living protoplasm? 

ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2024, 07:45:11 AM »

QQ posted,
"superhero sidekick" Supergirl's horse Comet at No. 1

Was that a deliberate pun?
Actually, Comet wasn't exactly a sidekick. He wasn't exactly a horse either.
He  was a man magicked into being a horse, and he was in love with Supergirl.
I know girls often have deep relationships with horses but that was ridiculous.
Eww!
What about Plastic Man's sidekick, Woozy Winks? Or Chameleon Boy's sidekick 'Proty' - a ball of living protoplasm?

LOL Panther, no 'kick' intended. The author of that article referred to them all as sidekicks. And thanks for the heads-up about Comet. I don't think I've read any comics with him in it, so I was none the wiser. I also haven't heard of those other sidekicks you mentioned. Will I be sorry if I look them up? :D Some sidekicks, of course, have gone on to bigger and better things, like the original Robin who grew up and became Nightwing. And Jimmy Olsen got his own comic book. But many were destined for obscurity.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2024, 09:12:37 AM »

I wondered if it was a double-double cross and that Sidney Greenstreet only scraped off the outer surface and thinks it's fake, but Humphrey knows it's actually under another layer. Hubby thinks it's a fake. Or is the ending meant to be ambiguous?

I think the story meant it to be fake, these people wasting their lives chasing after a worthless MacGuffin and when they realize it's fake go after another lead that might also be fake. Kind of like a prospector who thinks he's found gold only to discover it's iron pyrite.

Although the couple of extra layers idea did turn up in an Archie story where he gets the falcon and discovers there is a fake layer under the layer that Greenstreet stopped at. I believe the story ended with him peeling off even more layers.

I think the multiple layers idea may have also turned up in a 'comedy' sequel called The Black Bird where George Segal plays Sam Spade Jr.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2024, 04:41:51 PM »

Q.Q., I’m with your husband and Super...it was Hammett’s commentary on how seductive dreams can be...

You can dial up a great article on Vanity Fair about the history of the falcon...it mentions the movie that ‘Super talked about; THE BLACK BIRD...Warners made up a whole bunch of NEW falcons to give out to VIP’s for that film. Adding more mud to waters already pretty muddy, and making more comment about rabbit holes and how seductive dreams can be.
And I know mine isn’t real...it’s too light. Bogart dropped one of them on his foot and broke a toe. Mine was mass produced in a factory and sold to packagers. SOMETIMES the packagers would go out and get the oldest, dirtiest cardboard boxes they could find, make up a Warner Brothers bill of lading on old weathered newsprint and start reeling in the marks.
Most of the time they were sold by honest dealers who made the sale to fans like me who wanted a nice reproduction but would love it as much as if it was the real deal. For what it is worth you can buy an official repro of the ruby slippers, too...about 400 US$ should do it. Lots of unofficial version for a lot less.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2024, 10:24:44 PM »

https://screenrant.com/worst-superhero-sidekicks-ever-marvel-dc/

Have tried twice to respond to this and veered into ranting territory.

I find most "Worst Of" lists terrible as they are written by someone who picks some negative details while ignoring the positive aspects.

I'll offer comments on the sidekicks I'm familiar with.

10. H.E.R.B.I.E. - Fantastic Four
Did H.E.R.B.I.E. really make enough comic book appearances to qualify as a sidekick? It seems to me he was added to the comic to tie-in with the cartoon show, but I don't recall him ever being a big part of the comics back then. He's probably had a bigger part in the Franklin Richards comics of the 2010s, then the original FF run.

9. Snapper Carr - Justice League
While Snapper was a bit of an odd choice to put in the comic I think writer Gardner Fox did have a larger plan for him in the first 20 or so JLA stories that got scuttled when DC wanted Superman & Batman to have a larger role in the JLA. First off, Snapper was the only character that Fox could actually write without interference, all the others being on loan from other books. Second Snapper was being trained to eventually be some kind of hero, one early story having him use some gadgets in the JLA trophy room so he could save the League. When Fox quit, new writer Denny O'Neil didn't want to deal with Snapper, had him betray the League and kicked him out.

8. Doiby Dickles - Green Lantern
At one point science fiction writer Henry Kuttner was the main Green Lantern writer and he used Doiby for some comic stories and his wife C. L. Moore loved those stories, so he wrote more and more Doiby stories to please his wife. I believe when Kuttner left and secondary writer Alfred Bester took over Doiby appeared less and less.

6. Beppo the Super-Monkey - Superboy
Did Beppo really make enough appearances to qualify as a sidekick? I think he appeared more in the Legion of Super-Pets than serving as a sidekick.

5. Etta Candy - Wonder Woman
Clearly comic relief, but could also be a good fighter (as if some of her pudginess was muscle, not fat). The Golden Age version was fun, although the Post-Crisis version didn't seem to be fun.

2. Ebony White - The Spirit
Did the author look past the drawings to read Ebony's personality? If he'd been drawn white I don't think anyone would consider him a bad sidekick.

1. Comet the Super-Horse - Supergirl
I'm not sure the male writers of Comet had a clue about the sleezier aspects of a girl riding a horse that could turn into her boyfriend was. It's almost funny how innocent and wholesome they thought this idea was. At least they never let Supergirl know her horse could sometimes turn into her boyfriend.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2024, 02:32:25 AM »

SNAPPER CARR   MAYBE Manyard G Krebs would have been worse. But Snapper was really annoying,daddy-o...

COMET THE SUPER HORSE You could always count on DC...nothing was off the table. Sometimes I think they went for weird just because they could.

BEPPO THE SUPER MONKEY Anybody else reminded of Curious George? Almost as annoying as Snapper Carr for just that reason alone.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2024, 02:37:55 AM by Morgus »
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2024, 11:57:43 AM »

Thanks for the extra info, Morgus and SuperScrounge. Will try to answer properly later in the weekend. I've got a full-day event on Saturday, so I might be a bit late with my comments.

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2024, 12:02:38 PM »

Hi all

Just an extra snippet of info. When I was reading the Captain Marvel story, and they mentioned the Pan-American Olympics in 1942, I wondered if that actually was a thing. Captain Marvel wouldn't lie, would he? So I found the Pan-American Games. Is that the same thing? According to my friends at Wikipedia, the first games were planned for 1942, but ended up being postponed due to the war and didn't eventually kick off until 1951. I wonder if this story was written before it was cancelled? Would any of our North American friends like to add in their two-cents' worth about anything to do with the Pan-Am Games?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_American_Games

Cheers

QQ
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2024, 12:13:49 AM »

The Olympics.
This years French Olympics, given what is going on in the world, have been the least capable of grabbing the attention of most people, that I can remember. Except for the scandals.
Lets look at the stories.
Phantom Lady #22 (1949)
Second story starting on p. 11 – Olympic Saboteurs
There would not have been a games in 1949, but I checked, there was in 1948.
London 1948 Olympic Games, athletic festival held in London that took place July 29–August 14, 1948. The London Games were the 11th occurrence of the modern Olympic Games.   

So, this story is set in the previous years Olympics.   
Note,
"Remember how the USA triumphed in the recent Olympic games?"
The media loves to emphasis the winners in their country and largely ignores others.
So, in this internet age, if I access a US Newspaper's site, all I get in the US Olympic winners.
If i turn on Australian TV or look at the headline on an Australian Newspaper, it's all Australian winners, no mention of US winners. "

The story - starts off with comedy - then they go to London and the story really starts.
Has anybody noticed that the relationship between Don and Sandra Knight is reversed from the usual?
She's is the Superhero and he is the romantic interest who can't recognise Sandra even though she doesn't wear a mask. And he states in front of Sandra that he wishes she was more like Phantom Lady?
That's a trope that's usually Male Superhero, adoring but oblivious girlfriend, secretary, workmate.   
I enjoyed the story, but it seems just an excuse to get Sandra to be portrayed doing Olympic sports.
She competes in (the mens) foot race, High Jump, Boxing and Shotput. I thought she didn't have superpowers? So, was it only the men that drink water before competing?   
No explanatiion of which country the baddie was working for, but it's 1948, so we can probably guess.
Also why is the group of baddies a selection of countries?
By the accents, we have British, French and Spanish. And the leader seems to be American?
As some cartoon character used to say, 'Very Interesting. but Stupid." but it was fun, too.         

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2024, 12:59:31 AM »

True Comics #73 (1948)
26-Mile Dash – starts p. 31 – 4-page story on the history of the marathon.
Nice Cover.

Question. On the shirts, was that really the logo that American sportsmen and women wore in the 1948 Olympics? And what nationality is the next competitor? And looking at number three, would you not be disqualified for putting your hands out like that?
Your are the detective. Nice work by Jack Sparling.
Aside!
The text piece by Robert Ryan. Now that's a find.
I'm a movie buff and have come to realize that he was very choosy about which films he would make, and if you see his name on a film, you will never be disappointed. 
The film he talks about was 'Berlin Express' I also love Train Movies. I'll have to find a copy.
It's not on YouTube but here is a review. Exactly the kind of project you find Robert Ryan involved in. 
Noir Alley: Berlin Express (1948) intro 20191208
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFtvcZkkjAc
Noir Alley: Berlin Express (1948) outro 20191208
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajiGzQ-WeYE
Obviously the film was removed.
Thank you,QQ for bring this to my attention.
26 mile dash!
Nicely done piece.
Would love to know the artist.
Also, The text states, 'It was some 25 miles to Athens' A contradiction? 
I like the juxtaposition of the first Marathon, and the first modern Marathon.
Terrific dramas!   

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2024, 01:34:12 AM »

Whiz Comics #29 (1942)
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=59774
Captain Marvel at the Pan-American Olympics
The Lieutenant Marvels have not turned up in the DC SHAZAM books yet, as far as I know.
ODD!
Billy Batson says,
"Since the war has put an end to international sports contests, the nations of the Western Hemisphere have planned a Pan-Amereican Olympic meet."
The games started in 1951.
It was 91 years ago that the idea was pitched: a multi-sport, continental games for the countries that make up North, Central and South American and the Caribbean.
19 years later, in 1951, the inaugural Pan American Games were hosted by the city of Buenos Aires in Argentina. Just 18 sports were played by 2,513 athletes from 21 countries. Argentina topped the medal chart, followed by the United States and then Chile. 

But this comic is dated 1942!
What gives?
Clearly the story involved Sabotaging the war effort, so was written and was set during WWII.
OK Found it.
World War II delayed the first Pan-American games, originally planned for 1942, but not held until 1951.

https://www.encyclopedia.com/reference/encyclopedias-almanacs-transcripts-and-maps/pan-american-games
So, this story then, is a 'What if' story.
As the one with the pointy ears would say, 'Fascinating'
Classic CC Beck work. He hated what DC did to Captain Marvel, and i can see why. They should have hired him to continue it and kept it separate from the DCU.
Great Fun!

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.