in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Things I found while moving ....

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Things I found while moving ....  (Read 2781 times)

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
The Things I found while moving ....
« on: October 30, 2010, 02:38:58 PM »

This is about some of the neat things I forgot I had until I moved into my new house.
Creepy magazine. When did these come out? I dunno, but after my rediscovery I remember reading them before I even joined the Army so they gotta be 80s-ish.
The Thing FF-regular solo series from Marvel comics, also rom my pre-Army days. Coincidentally his image was used as my unit's mascot "Charlie Rock".
Elfquest the boardgame  :-X
Car Wars the deluxe edition boxed set ... with most of the pieces *whoppee!*
A giant Judge Dredd poster  ;D

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: The Things I found while moving ....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 04:57:31 AM »

I didn't know that Elfquest had a board game. Such a classic series!!!

B.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:03:34 AM »

I found all sorts of goodies while cleaning up the old home stead. A simultaneous editin paper back of Twelve O'Clock High, the type of book released when the movie was released. Sometimes release of a book was held up until a movie made from it is finished.
I also have the simultaneous first edition hard back of Forbidden planet in near mint condition. I found it at a sale of old stuff found in the long unused vault of a small company that had been turned into a furniture store.
Paid 25 cents for it.

Found Mom's ancient Gold Bulova watch and its original case. The watch runs, though it probably should be cleaned.
I also have Dad's Omega Seamaster (James Bond's favorite watch) which needs some serious work.

Found a collection of newspapers with the headlines of Elvis Presley's death. Some of those may be valuable. The rarest issue was priced at $2000 years ago for just the single front page.

I've also found some Creepy, Errie, and several lesser known Horror comics of the general type. I need to sort and box these properly, its been fun reading these again.

One odd find was a tiny blue velvet Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit. I thought it was from a doll but found a photo of a brother that died before I was born wearing this outfit as a baby.

All sorts of old stuff turns up here.
I even found the ancient pop gun I played with as a child. It was old when I got it.
The toy is built better than most assault rifles, of thick hard sheet steel and thickly nickel plated. It lasted buried in the ground for thirty years with little damage. Its wooden stock seems to be imprenated with a preservative oil. They really made toys to last back then.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:10:56 AM »

:o I also have the simultaneous first edition hard back of Forbidden planet in near mint condition.  :o
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 05:40:23 AM »

I only have the original paper back edition of Forbidden Planet, I feel slighted now.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:38:01 PM »

:o I also have the simultaneous first edition hard back of Forbidden planet in near mint condition.  :o

My eyes bugged out when I saw it as well.

I looked up the value on these and it was suprisingly low.

I read the book and found a few departures from the book in the film.
An autopsy on one of the artificial animals (babboon IIRC) in Morbius'  garden for example, probably considered distasteful for movie goers back in the day.
Aside from a tiny (1/4") clean tear in the dust cover, the book is pretty much immaculate.

I keep it sealed in a ziploc bag.

They with held release of the book till the movie premiere, they didn't want anyone knowing the story before it hit the screen.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:15:48 AM »

I have a signed hardcover edition of Wally Wood's Wizard King that I ordered from his self publishing effort. I have never been able to find a value on it. Any ideas?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »

I have a signed hardcover edition of Wally Wood's Wizard King that I ordered from his self publishing effort. I have never been able to find a value on it. Any ideas?

From an abebooks.com search:

The Wizard King.
Wood, Wallace.

* Bookseller: THE HERMITAGE BOOKSHOP ABAA Member (Denver, CO, U.S.A.)
    * Bookseller Rating: 4-star rating
    * Quantity Available: 1

Add to basket

Price: US$ 125.00
Convert Currency

Shipping: US$ 5.00
Within U.S.A.
Destination, Rates & Speeds

30 Day Returns Policy
   About the Book   Bookseller & Payment Information   
About the Book

Bibliographic Details

Publisher: Wallace Wood, 1978. Limited edition.
Publication Date: 1978
Binding: Hardcover
Dust Jacket Condition: Dust Jacket Included
Signed: Signed by Author(s)
Edition:
Description:

Fine in fine dust jacket. Black and white comic book illustrations by Wallace Wood. Signed by Wallace Wood. Bookseller Inventory # Embry 68833

Ain't the Internet grand?

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 12:29:47 AM »

Thanks Jim. I did not think of looking at abes. I usually hit ebay. I had to use abes to find a book LAY THIS LAUREL for my wife that was hard to find and costly. There were several at abes all still costly but the things we do for love. My wife is a huge fan of the movie GLORY and from that Shaw and the 54th. All the other books were cheap and easy to find.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 05:20:32 AM »

WOW!!!!!!
Checked out my copy of Forbidden planet and found its not the book that had the tear in the dust cover after all, the dust cover is in great shape, far better than I thought it was.

A friend suggested I look up its value at Bookfinder.com and the value was far higher than I could have imagined. Copies in slightly lesser condition than mine are priced at $2,000 USD.

Best 25 Cents I ever spent thats for sure.

If anyone knows a collector that might be interested let me know, I could sure use the cash for home repairs I've put off for too long as is.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.