in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Best Christmas Present (or Toy Oriented) Memories...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Best Christmas Present (or Toy Oriented) Memories...  (Read 3460 times)

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Best Christmas Present (or Toy Oriented) Memories...
« on: December 18, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »

Seeing as how Christmas is rapidly approaching, I thought this might be an interesting topic. What was your favorite Christmas present, or toy? Or, what was your favorite holiday memory?

For me, it's hard to narrow down, but here's one of the ones that ranks pretty high.

It was some point after midnight on Christmas Eve. I was sleeping, my parents woke me up, and asked me to come downstairs. My mother and my grandfather went out to the car and carried in a full-sized color television. At the time, I had a small black & white television in my room, so I was thinking 'oh cool, I've got a color TV now.' But, after they set up the TV in the corner of the room, my mom went back out to the car, and she returned with an Atari 2600 game console. It was brand new and still in the box.

Here's the funny part and it's something that I've never forgotten. On the front of the box, in very large print, it read 'Complimentary Only, Not for Retail Sale.' I never asked why it said that, but over the years, I think I've figured the whole thing out.

At the time, my mother worked for the newspaper, she delivered papers, and sold subscriptions. The paper used to run contests, if you sold x number of subscriptions, you could win various prizes. I'm now relatively certain that she must have sold a bunch of subscriptions to get the video game console for me. The TV was obviously second-hand and she'd probably bought it at the Goodwill, or someplace like that.

As you might guess, considering what she was doing for a living, we weren't exactly well-off at the time, and that contest was probably the only way that I could have received such a present.

Trust me, over the next few years, that Atari saw plenty of use.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Best Christmas Present (or Toy Oriented) Memories...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »

We have a picture of me standing in front of the Christmas tree in my Superman suit. My brother got Batman. I still have the plastic Batman cowl.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2010, 04:06:51 PM »

We have a picture of me standing in front of the Christmas tree in my Superman suit. My brother got Batman. I still have the plastic Batman cowl.

Wow!  That takes me back to Christmas of 1965.  Me and my brother got the exact same costumes.   I went for the Superman suit as I had been watching the George Reeves series in reruns then for several years and was a big fan.  My brother opted for the Batman suit as Batman was also considered pretty cool even if he wasn't on TV!  We no sooner got the costumes for Christmas when we began to see the plugs on ABC for the new Batman show which was then about 3 weeks away from premiering.  I think we both wore those costumes out running around in them over the next several months.

I know that somewhere packed away with the old family pictures is a picture of that "dynamic duo" from that 1965-66 winter.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2010, 05:45:44 PM »

My best memory come from when I was around 2 years old (yes, 2 years old) when my folks bought me a fire engine for a Christmas. It moved around flashed lights made noises...I got such a big kick out of that engine.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:35:26 PM »

I remember that Father Christmas (I am English and that is what Santa used to be called here) brought my brother and me cowboy outfits and a wigwam. Years later my mum told me that the outfits she made from a pajama pattern and with braid sewn on them. And the wigwam was the same material with long bamboo. We had many hours of fun with it .. but I don't think we ever questioned why cowboys were holed up in a wigwam :)

The other present was Meccano. .. I used to get bits every year I don't think it was ever in the US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano I spent hours and hours with it making things .. I think even when I began dating. And I still use it now an again to fix things. It is really useful if you are doing PC upgrades like making cages for hard drives etc ...

Mark
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:33 PM »

The other present was Meccano. .. I used to get bits every year I don't think it was ever in the US
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meccano I spent hours and hours with it making things .. I think even when I began dating. And I still use it now an again to fix things. It is really useful if you are doing PC upgrades like making cages for hard drives etc ...

This sounds similar to the Erector sets which were sold over here in the U.S.A.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:18:50 PM »

Just googled ... yes that's the baby in fact Meccano now makes it
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 10:22:29 PM »

My favorite Christmas was 1956. My brother and I crept out into the living room about 3a.m. Christmas morning to see what the jolly old elf had brought us. There was a huge Marx "Fort Apache" playset for me, all set up and ready to go! Also a Wm. Britains cannon which fired lead shells, matchsticks, or whatever else I could cram down the barrel. The ensuing battle was, unfortunately, a bit too loud and woke up our parents who promptly sent us back to bed with a proper scolding. Still my favorite Christmas memory! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.