in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

ACG Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: ACG Comics  (Read 3134 times)

misappear

• VIP
message icon
ACG Comics
« on: February 05, 2007, 11:04:18 PM »

With the appearance of Out of the Night, I assume (?) that ACG is OK and legal.  There were 4 titles that the company had, primarily in the late 1950's and early 1960's if memory serves me, that were really fun.  They were Adventures into the Unknown, Forbidden Worlds, Unknown Worlds, and Herbie (the fat fury.)  Forbidden Worlds introduced a character called Nemesis, sort of a super-hero magician; and Herbie of course, is legendary.

Anyone I've encountered who has read this stuff will tell you that there was a tone to the whole line that was, well, odd.  Mostly science fiction and fantasy stories.  A lot of very frenetic Costanza art in the 1960's issues. 

It would be great to see some of those again!
ip icon Logged

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
Re: ACG Comics
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 11:27:03 PM »

Gotta love the ACG! I've just lately uploaded the first five Adventures in the Unknown, since comics guy Shazam got the ACG flood started by posting some of the oddball "3D" issues of the run. I'll gladly post more, but it's a bit of a slow time. The uploads are running pretty slow for me lately.

Herbie is just a joy. I own almost all of 'em in paper, and the scans are out there, and beautifully done. Sadly, since the Herbies are solidly Silver Age, they can't really go on this great website. I will start to put more pre-1955 ACG titles, however!
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 12:53:01 AM »

Ah! Thank you, that would be nice.  I'll hunt around for the other stuff, but I must confess a certain unfamiliarity with the whole community (being pretty new to all this.)
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 08:56:05 AM »

Is it time for an ACG section on the download site?

B.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:05:27 PM »

Unfortunately l need to do a little more research before providing a section for them, have patience
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 06:32:15 PM »

reprint rights to most of the ACG material (and a bunch of Charlton rights) were bought by Avalon (Roger Boughton sp?) back in the 80s/90s. He put out a bunch of badly printed reprints and then disappeared.  The question right now would be what rights he bought and if he has abandoned them by not publishing for an extended period of time.

I am guessing that the news is NOT good, as no less than Alan Moore has written about his admiration of the Herbie books. This would be a great incentive to reprint that material -- a cover quote from Alan Moore! and yet, nothing.  So somebody somewhere is most likely sitting on the rights waiting for the big payoff (that simply isn't going to happen!).  And if they have Herbie, they probably have a bunch of the other ACG rights too.

Which is too bad, as Herbie was the class act, but ACG's books overall were enjoyable. They need to be read in small amounts, but there was solid craft that went into their production.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.