in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Avatars  (Read 6379 times)

Ratty

message icon
« on: February 12, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »

I noticed there was a shortage of them around here so I made a few, didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped due to the need to shrink to 125x125 pixels. But if anyone here would like to use them please feel free.

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/619/fightingyankavatar.jpg

The Fighting Yank shows some Nazis what
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 08:02:19 AM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Avatars
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 10:33:51 PM »

Awesome!  ;D
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »

ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:23:54 AM »

Muchas gracias Senor Ratty!

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34:40 AM »

Merci beaucoup, monsieur Ratty, vous avez fait bien. I'd forgotten I used to have one.  Love the Charlton " wholesome reading" one and apropos of that, I read the Dell pledge last night in a copy of 77 Sunset Strip.
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 01:33:29 AM »

Glad you were both able to find one you liked :)

I've always considered the avatar an interesting part of any online forum. It's a form of shorthand in two ways. Not only making it easier to see who posted what without having to read the name in the corner, but also at a glance expressing something about the wearer's tastes and interests. Infusing a bit of personality and flair into the whole thing. As well as an air of friendly casualness which makes the experience much more personal and personable for everyone.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:42:00 AM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2011, 02:39:55 AM »

Some people may not have known how to make their own so yours are appreciated. I change mine periodically
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 02:42:33 AM »

What I can't figure out is what happened to mine, I had one, and it just vanished one day.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 03:17:37 AM »

Some people may not have known how to make their own so yours are appreciated. I change mine periodically

*nods* That was the idea. And thought even among those who can make them maybe they hadn't had the time or inclination etc. Couldn't hurt. Also why I tried to have something for many different tastes related to GACs. I like to change mine periodically as well, since my interests and moods rotate.

What I can't figure out is what happened to mine, I had one, and it just vanished one day.

The site where the image was being hosted probably deleted it/had it taken down which happens. If you've got a copy of the image you could upload it to a site like imageshack.us or photobucket, get the link to it and paste that in again. Or maybe you could upload the image directly to the board. Don't know what the board's specific restrictions on such uploads are but if there's a problem (like a need to resize before it'll let you upload it directly) it should tell you.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 03:34:59 AM by Ratty »
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2011, 06:49:49 AM »

That's the funny thing Ratty, it was uploaded to the forum. Like I said, it just vanished one day. I'll upload it again, but it's not on this computer.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2011, 11:56:36 PM »

Got me thinking...

I went to "Profile", and found "I will upload my own picture"

Did "Browse", then "Change Profile".

And then I got "An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

So, something's not working right.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2011, 12:37:01 AM »

Got me thinking...

I went to "Profile", and found "I will upload my own picture"

Did "Browse", then "Change Profile".

And then I got "An Error Has Occurred!
The attachments upload directory is not writable. Your attachment or avatar cannot be saved."

So, something's not working right.

Nope, can't upload an avatar...I link mine.

B.
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2011, 02:38:37 AM »

Ah so that explains it, must have just been a change in the site settings to disallow direct uploads that made Menticide's disappear.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2011, 02:48:35 AM »

We do not have anyone here who is adept at the Simple Machines program we just poke around and do what we can do
ip icon Logged

Ratty

message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2011, 02:59:30 AM »

*nods* I just learn as I go along most of the time myself. Guess that's true of most people in life.
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 03:04:37 AM »

testing avatar link
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 03:46:34 AM »

Yay! My avatar is back! (yeah, so who besides me cares?)

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2011, 03:51:50 AM »

Yay! My avatar is back! (yeah, so who besides me cares?)

(|:{>

Now that you mention it...I hadn't noticed them returning en mass. I wonder what kicked things in?  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.