in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Which Of These Characters Are In The Public Domain?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Which Of These Characters Are In The Public Domain?  (Read 3939 times)

glammazon

• VIP
message icon
Which Of These Characters Are In The Public Domain?
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:38:51 PM »

I have a list here of characters that I think may be in the public domain:

1. Minimidget

2. Thun'Da, King Of The Congo

3. Rulah, Jungle Goddess

4. Tygra, Queen Of The Flame People

5. Camilla, Queen Of The Lost Kingdom

Are any or all of these characters in the public domain?  I'd love to know for certain.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Which Of These Characters Are In The Public Domain?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 07:55:39 PM »

I keep thinking that Aussie may have posted some resources for researching such an issue. A couple others have posted on this recently (if memory serves) ...and about 4 weeks or so back in the archives I believe.

B.

I have a list here of characters that I think may be in the public domain:

1. Minimidget

2. Thun'Da, King Of The Congo

3. Rulah, Jungle Goddess

4. Tygra, Queen Of The Flame People

5. Camilla, Queen Of The Lost Kingdom

Are any or all of these characters in the public domain?  I'd love to know for certain.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 11:38:21 AM »

Trademark deals with names and characters the copyright is taken out on a specific title, so we would need to know the comic title in order to look up if the copyright was renewed or not. If the publisher of the comic has a group on the site already we would consider it public domain provided it is a Golden Age comic (1955 or earlier), and not a reprint, it needs to be a scan of the original or a scan of the microfiche of the original. So the Thun'da king of the Congo published by Magazine Enterprises is fine as is the Fox published Rulah, Jungle Goddess. If you want to know about the others you will need to give us the name of the comic/comics they appeared in
ip icon Logged

glammazon

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:25:55 AM »

Okay, here are a list of the comics these characters first appeared in:

1. AMAZING MAN COMICS #5(Minimidget)

2. THUN'DA, KING OF THE CONGO #1 (Thun'Da, who was called Thunda in the serial version)

3. ZOOT COMICS #7 (Rulah, the Jungle Goddess)

4. EXCITING COMICS #45 (Tygra, Queen of the Flame People)

5. JUNGLE COMICS #3  (Camilla, Queen of the Lost Kingdom)
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 12:36:17 PM »

All of the above we would consider public domain and there are issues available from each series hosted on the download site under their respective publishers
ip icon Logged

namlevram

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: namlevram
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 05:09:56 PM »

Trademark deals with names and characters the copyright is taken out on a specific title

In his book "Amazing ... but false" (2007) David Diefendorf, in a small section on copyright, states:
"One thing you can't copyright is the title of a book."

The book is American*, but I think this statement is fairly universal in application, as I have seen 2 or 3 completely different books (with different authors etc) bearing the same title.

* I am English, now retired to Spain.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 10:52:03 AM »

The title name itself is not copyright protected, the individual issue is, under whatever name it was published under, so no l cannot look up copyright information based on characters, l have to have the title of whatever they appeared in to see if the copyright was renewed.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.