in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

File Names?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: File Names?  (Read 3081 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
File Names?
« on: November 09, 2006, 12:44:03 AM »

Hi Serj,
I touched on this subject in another thread but felt it might deserve to be a subject on it's own.

First my concern.  Is there any way of changing a file name already on the site?
For example Master Comics lasted 133 issues from 1949-53.
So it's numbering on the site would be much better if it were 001 to 133.  You see my point?

I'm uploading about a DVD's worth of fiche scans for this series as supplied by Darkmark.  The file are named correctly on my end but to keep the current numbering system on the site the same I've renamed them.  Master 033 is now Master 33.  But it flows all wrong on the site starting with Master 103 before Master 16.

I know, it's not a BIG deal but it is something that I'd think most people would appreciate the files showing in order.  I've seen other sections where more than one file system is being used and the books are quite out of order.

You mentioned you didn't want any special character in file names - [] are two.  But you didn't mention what the max file name length is for the site.  I like to include the date published and even the scanner in my files.

Thanks Very Much for the service you are providing to the comic collectors out there with the site! 
Take care,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
Re: File Names?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 01:01:25 AM »

There is no max filename size.

What you name the file and upload it as isn't always what we put on the front page.

The process goes like this.

You name a file, ie my comic 1 (1945) scanner.cbr and upload it to the site.

We then put it into the website and give it a title based on the filename ie: my comic 001 (1945).cbr, we can edit these titles easily later on etc.

When a users downloads the comic it normally appears as : my comic 1 (1945) scanner.cbr so you see the original filename is preserved.

The title on the website is just for display purposes and can be edited/changed by admin/mods.

Hope this clears something up.

Also the reason some characters are blocked is cos the site can't handle them and also on some peoples operating systems special characters can stop the file being deleted/accessed/other.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 04:04:37 PM »

Thanks for the info Serj.

I hope at some point in the future a mod with some time on their hands might go though and correct some file display names so things like the Master Comics section flow from 001 to 133.

It's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Take care,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2006, 03:35:29 AM »

l did Master Comics yesterday, yes they are all in the right order now.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 05:26:04 AM »

Looks GREAT!
Of course this means all my Master Comics uploads are incorrect.
I hope you don't mind the extra work of renaming them... unless I can rename them on the FTP for you?

I'm still uploading three more books ATM.

Thanks again for the help!
-Yoc

I was able to rename all my Master Comics uploads so they fit the style on the site!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:59:51 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:28 AM »

No problem, thanks for uploading them Yoc.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.