in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic book scans and copyrights

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comic book scans and copyrights  (Read 14375 times)

erikpsmith

message icon
Comic book scans and copyrights
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »

This note is prompted by an earlier thread on this message board regarding the "ownership" of scans of old comic books -- and a few broader thoughts on the subject of comic book scans and copyright. Because there is talk of deleting old forum threads, I thought it best to start a new one. This is a topic that I think ought to be of interest to all who are engaged in the scanning of old comics.

In the earlier thread, a comic-book scanner who had marketed his own "Comics on CD-ROM" was protesting that several of his watermarked scans had turned up on this site, and he was demanding their removal. Several posters pointed to an article on Wikipedia that cited a 2001 case involving Corel software that tended to indicate that scans of public domain work could not be copyrighted. The scanner raised questions about that legal ruling, and argued that it was unclear whether that had anything to do with this case. The Wikipedia article itself was a little confusing, because it discussed a U.S. case and then tried to assess its implications for U.K. law, which is a little silly.

I stumbled across this forum this evening and immediately was interested in the discussion. There is quite a bit more to the story, and I thought I should clarify a few points. I realize that this is a U.K. site, but it also strikes me that most of the confusion surrounds U.S. copyright law, since that is the law that governs the copyrights of the vast majority of golden age comic books.

The scanner is making a serious error, at least as far as U.S. law is concerned. The principle under discussion is actually well established here in the States. The Corel decision was based on earlier decisions, and the underlying cases firmly establish that the scanner has no right to control the scans he made.

I became interested in this issue years ago, because of an interest in a parallel field. At one time I was a collector of old-time radio programs (though my interest has waned considerably). These recorded materials are very similar to comic books, in that the vast majority were either never properly copyrighted or they were allowed to lapse into the public domain when a renewal was required under U.S. copyright law.

There was a flurry of excitement around the copyright issue in the late nineties, when a seller of old-time radio recordings maintained that he had negotiated agreements with surviving copyright holders of some of these shows, and that he had exclusive rights to distribute them. I became curious enough about the issue that I wrote a freelance piece about it for the L.A. Times in 2001.

There are a few differences between that field and this -- until the seventies, sound recordings could not be copyrighted but other elements could be, such as music and scripts. And the gist of the legal issue in that case was this -- if copyrights remained in force, and the distributor had struck agreements with legitimate owners of the copyrights, he indeed had the right to demand exclusivity. Not that he could practically do anything to stop the flood-tide of MP3s -- I understand his company is in financial trouble today. But that's not really the issue we're discussing here. In researching the legal principles involved, in conducting numerous interviews with legal scholars and reading case law myself, I learned a good deal about the issues swirling about the American concept of the public domain. I can tell you that anyone who thinks he "owns" a scan that he has made of an old comic book is sadly mistaken. (While I can't tell you the legal citations off the top of my head, I am sure they would turn up in the footnotes to the Corel case.)

The basic idea is this: You can't claim a copyright in something that is in the public domain, unless you significantly alter it and thus create a new work.

This applies to copies made in a new storage medium -- for instance, a tape-recording made from an original acetate disk. The same principle applies to an unaltered electronic scan of a public domain publication. This is a critical point that all comic-book scanners ought to be aware of. You can't make a scan of a comic book, let somebody else have a copy, and then declare that you ought to control the way in which that scan should be used.

The reason is that these copies are purely derivative works. The scanner does not significantly alter the underlying material. Because the scanner does not add anything new, the scanner cannot be considered a "creator," and thus he cannot claim an ownership right in the copy he made.

There is an interesting exception to this rule that no doubt is of more interest to those who restore old movies and old sound recordings. If you take a public domain work and put a significant amount of work into "restoring" it, you can claim a copyright on the restored product. But the underlying work remains in the public domain. A similar principle applies to "sampling" in musical works -- if the work being sampled is in the public domain, the underlying work remains in the public domain, but the new work can be copyrighted.

I daresay that the work done by comic-book scanners does not approach the threshhold of significance that would allow a copyright to be claimed. At most, a comic-book scanner might "touch up" his scans to eliminate visible grain in the newsprint. He might lighten the background to make the background "pure white," and he might set the black portions of the image to appear as "pure black." He might adjust color levels (as allowed in Adobe Photoshop) to present a fuller color range and offset the effect of fading. But this sort of work, in my own personal opinion, cannot be counted as a significant alteration -- the idea is simply to ensure that the copy appears properly on a computer screen. This is merely my personal opinion, mind you. This has never been tested in any court, nor do I think it ever will be. I doubt that we will ever see a court case in which somebody claims that he owns the rights to a scan of, say, Crime Does Not Pay No. 76, or some other public domain title. If somebody wanted to get really sticky about such things and went to court claiming that he was injured when somebody else posted his scan on the Web without permission, I suspect the judges would laugh him out of the room. Even if they did not the scanner would still have to prove damages if he expected to get any money out of it -- and I would think there would be no real monetary loss involved.

A "significant" alteration that would give a scanner a right to object would be more along the lines of removing the color from an old comic book, and then adding new color to it, or putting new dialogue in the balloons -- which no ordinary comic-book scanner would likely do. On the other hand, let's suppose an artist decided to take a panel from a public-domain comic book, repaint it and change the dialogue slightly -- as many artists did during the "pop art" boom of the sixties. That could be considered a new work, and the creator would own the rights.

This is a topic that has caused me to chuckle a number of times as I have perused scans of, say, old postcards on eBay. Some sellers have added the line, "Scan copyrighted by..." Sorry, they don't have that right.

At any rate, I have to say that the proprietors of this site probably did the right thing in removing the scanner's watermarked scans, not because they had any legal responsibility to do so, but because the guy was doing so much moaning and hollering about it. It sounds to me as though scans with visible watermarks aren't the sort of things that comic-book file collectors want anyway. It also strikes me that the more recent scans -- those made in the last few years -- are significantly better, generally speaking, than the ones made in the early years of home computers. The scanning equipment available to us since the year 2000 is much improved, and scanners have become more skilled in the art of scanning.

Before I sign off here, I probably ought to address a few other tangental copyright issues -- most importantly, another assertion that the scanner made in his postings, because this affects many of the materials that are posted on this site. He contends that Captain Marvel, the Marvel Family, Blackhawk and Plastic Man are owned by DC, and therefore the forties-vintage comic books are not in the public domain. Here, too, I think we see a basic misunderstanding of copyright law.

While I have not researched the copyright status of these forties comic-book titles, this is not a reasonable assumption. DC certainly owns the rights to the characters -- it obtained the rights to the Marvel Family and other Fawcett superhero characters when it settled its copyright infringement case in the early fifties. It also purchased the rights to the Quality superheroes when that company folded in 1956 -- it continued the Blackhawk title until 1967, and it revived Plastic Man several times. But ownership of the characters does not mean that DC owns the copyrights to the earlier publications. It all comes down to these questions -- were the publications properly copyrighted in the first place, did DC properly obtain the copyrights to the earlier publications, and did it bother to renew those copyrights as they came up for renewal under the pre-1976 U.S. copyright law?

Until the 1976 law took effect (in 1977), U.S. copyright law was pretty clear-cut. Copyrights lasted 27 years, and they could be renewed for another 27 years, but after that, copyrights expired, period, end of story. The 1976 law extended the copyright period for earlier works that remained under copyright -- in other words, copyrights were continued for everything that hadn't already lapsed into the public domain. Since then there have been several revisions to the law that have pushed the expiration dates so far out into the future that we will probably all be dead before new material enters the public domain. As the law stands today, everything published before 1923 is public domain, and copyrighted materials published before 1950 are public domain if the copyrights were not renewed. If copyrights weren't properly obtained in the first place, material entered the public domain immediately upon publication. As for unpublished material by creators who died before 1976 -- manuscripts and such things -- a deadline passed a few years ago for copyright registration, and if no action was taken that material also is in the public domain.

There was a court case a few years ago that sought to invalidate the delaying tactics employed in the 1976 law and those passed thereafter -- the argument was that the Founding Fathers intended that copyrights would expire after a reasonable time, and that a healthy public domain served a worthy social purpose, allowing the works of the past to inspire and invigorate the present. The leading opponents were the Disney company and the heirs of George Gershwin, the composer. Gershwin and Disney won: The Supreme Court ruled that Congress had a perfect right to extend copyrights as long as it wished.

If Disney had lost the case, it still would have owned the rights to Mickey Mouse. But the early cartoons -- the ones from the late twenties and the early thirties -- would have lapsed into the public domain. New animators might have been able to produce Mickey Mouse cartoons, without Disney's approval, as long as they were based on the Mickey Mouse character of the twenties and the thirties, which would have been out of copyright, and not on the Mickey Mouse character of the fifties, which still would have been under copyright. No wonder Disney fought so vigorously!

This is the point that is of relevance to the world of comic-book scanning. DC might have obtained the rights to the Fawcett characters, but if DC failed to obtain the copyrights to the Fawcett comic books published prior to 1950, or if it did obtain them and it failed to renew the copyrights properly when they came up for renewal, then the copyrights to the comic books of the 1940s are in the public domain. The same holds true of the Quality titles of the 1940s.

I gather that the proprietors of this website have researched the copyright status of the various comic books that are made available for download here, and I salute them for that. This is really the only way to be sure that anything published between 1923 and 1950 is in the "safe zone." But it is wrong for anyone to assert that simply because DC obtained the rights to the characters, that it also owns the copyrights to the publications prior to 1950.

As for materials published between 1950 and 1955, which appears to be the cutoff date for this site, I suppose the situation is a little murkier. But you have to realize that most comic-book publishers went bust in the mid-1950s, and for anyone to claim a copyright, they would have show that they properly obtained the copyrights from the original owners. In most cases, the copyrights probably became the property of a bankruptcy trustee, and unless the copyrights were sold during the bankruptcy proceeding, the ownership right remained with the court when the bankruptcy was discharged. I'm not sure if the court could claim ownership of the copyright -- this is a question for a lawyer. But practically speaking, nobody cares. So I think the assumption made by the proprietors of this site is correct -- if the company went out of business years ago, the copyrights probably aren't going to be claimed by anyone. Should the assumption be incorrect, and someone emerges claiming that he owns the rights to a comic book published between 1950 and 1955, well, he'd still have to prove damages in order to collect any money -- and proving damages would be a practical impossibility.

Anyway, most of this worry and fret over copyright issues is a matter of fuss and nonsense. The copyright laws haven't caught up with the realities of today, when movies and television programs that are clearly under copyright can be downloaded at a keystroke. Heck, I can even download comic books about which there is no question about the legality of the copyright. My guess is that there will be some major battles fought over this issue in the near future, but they will all be focused on propeties that have some current monetary value. It's a shame that we have to worry at all about such things -- it's my opinion that Congress was wrong, and the Supreme Court missed a chance to make things right -- but what the heck. Comic-book scanning is really something that flies under the radar, and frankly, it's something noble. By making it possible for us to scan and redistribute those crumbling comics, the Internet revolution has assured that the art form will survive.

Erik Smith
Spokane, Wash.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:52:50 AM by erikpsmith »
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
Re: Comic book scans and copyrights
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:51:16 PM »

Two points where you lost me, both numerical.

First, I have never seen a term of twenty-seven years listed in any law or discussion of law.  The closest I've found is that the Library of Congress sometimes allowed copyright holders to renew in the year after or before renewal was due (i.e., the 27th or 29th years).  Do you have a specific reference?

Likewise, the big change in copyright law was--as far as my information can find it--in 1978 (implemented the following year) rather than '76.

As to why copyright law hasn't kept pace with technology, I think the answer is pretty simple:  The publishing industry (including movie and television studios, obviously) haven't found a good scheme to make money from free downloads that people find as easy as a pirated download, plain and simple.  Since they can't make money otherwise, they need the force of law to protect their investment.
ip icon Logged

erikpsmith

message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

Did a little checking on the Internet -- wow, what a wonderful tool we have these days for research! Used to be you'd have to visit a law library and spend a couple of hours. Now I can find the answers in thirty seconds.

Anyway, there is a Wikipedia article on the Copyright Act of 1976 -- here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_1976

One interesting point -- this article indicates that the 1976 Act took effect on Jan. 1, 1978. I said it took effect in 1977, and I apologize for the error.

And yes, you are correct about the 28-year copyright period, rather than 27 years. Again, an error on my part. This was established by the copyright act of 1909, which established the general copyright scheme that governed America until the seventies. (There were a few revisions along the way, but the general approach remained the same.)

Ah, that's what I get for writing off the top of my head, without googling!

As for the deadlines for renewals under the 1909 copyright law, another wikipedia article says the renewal had to take place during the 28th year of the original copyright. In other words, it had to be renewed before the original copyright expired.

Here's the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_domain

(This probably explains my confusion over the length of the term. When I was a kid in the '70s, reading all those early DC stories that were so often being reprinted at the time, I would read the copyright lines on the first page and notice a 28-year interval between the year of the original copyright and the renewal -- which suggested to my adolescent mind that the original copyright lasted for 27 years. Somehow this must have gotten stuck in my head.)

Anyway, the 1950 "date of safety" for copyrighted materials that were not renewed is not affected. There are actually several websites out there that detail exact dates, etc., for materials entering the public domain under U.S. law, and if you're interested, they're probably worth a look. The Jan. 1, 1978 date for the new copyright law suggests to me that unrenewed materials copyrighted prior to Jan. 1, 1950 are fair game -- but the various websites on public-domain topics go into much more detail, in a much more authoritiative way. As for me, I guess I've learned my lesson about relying on memory!

Erik Smith
Spokane, Wash.

ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 01:27:40 PM »

No problem at all, Erik, and thanks for the clarification.  I've done a decent amount of reading in the area, and just wanted to make sure I had MY facts straight over all these years.

For those interested in a summary (and because, let's face it, you can't link to things like this enough), check this table for starters:

http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/public_domain/

By the way, something that I always miss and you did too, as I look at the chart:  Renewals were required on anything published through 1963, not 1950; the 1990 law taking effect in 1992 is obviously where Congress eliminated renewals.
ip icon Logged

dbpants

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: dbpants
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »

How does this apply to Archive Edition type reprints? If a public domain comic has been reprinted in an archive edition, is a scan of that reprint a violation of copyright?. For instance, would using a Captain Marvel Archive Edition as the source for Whiz Comics #25 be acceptable? The current one is a fiche, and the paper scan from such a reprint would be much nicer. Is the reprint simply a change in format that can not be taken out of the public domain?

I hope I stated my question clearly.

Thanks for the great discussion.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:12:01 AM »

Archive editions are new books with new copyrights they will not be public domain any time soon, technically the fiche are also not public domain, but being a direct copy of the original  in a different format, l am not going to quibble legalities and l doubt anyone else will either.

A public domain comic is no longer protected by copyright law, so no a reprint would not be a violation of a non existent copyright. The publisher of the reprint has their own copyright on their reprint, so it is covered by a new copyright and is not public domain. The publisher could only reprint something no one else owned the trademark for though, or they would have to license the material from the person who owned the trademark on the character or title. We are not worried about trademarks on the site, only copyrights.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

John C

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 02:19:52 PM »

The key for reprints is usually restoration.

To pick a traditional example around here, the IW/Super reprints (a Silver Age company that made quasi-legal reprints of Golden Age books, seemingly at random) were literal recreations of the original book with a new cover.  The internal pages are usually identical, down to the advertising.  These shouldn't have any copyright attached, except for the new material.  The same would go for fiche copies.

At the other end of the spectrum, we have the DC Archive books, which are usually re-inked and always recolored.  It's not so much a reproduction of the original work as it is a recreation, and that's probably enough distinction to warrant copyright protection, in the eyes of a judge.

When in doubt, you probably want to look for the word "restored" or an editorial credit, the former more appropriate to comics and movies, the latter to text.  Either will mean that somebody monkeyed with the original work.  Some companies, like Dover Press (right in my backyard, as it turns out), actually insert a page telling you the exact edition from which they got their text, and to what extent they altered it.
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

Wow, fascinating posts, guys.

It's of particular interest to me because I run a website with a similar interest: I share (for free) old girlie magazines from the 40's to the early 70's, scanned cover-to-cover. I'm sure the laws involved are exactly the same, so your comments and links are much appreciated.

A lot of these girlie magazine publishers went bust over the years, and while someone, somewhere may still hold the copyrights, I suspect that most of them are held by large, faceless corporations who haven't a clue that they even own the rights, and probably don't care. Who wants to look at pictures of nude women with beehive hair? (Well, besides me?  ;D )

I won't mention the name of my site here, as I'm not trying to advertise in an inappropriate place, but it's very similar to what's done here. The difference is that I have the mags in a gallery, where you can download the whole thing, or just view or download individual pages. Might not be a bad idea here, IMHO.

Regards,
Eric
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:28:47 AM »

Sounds like a fun site Eric.
I'd love to see it if you'd care hint at a name to google or PM me a link.
Those old 'sweets' had some common artists with the comics depending on the publisher.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »

Sounds like a fun site Eric.
I'd love to see it if you'd care hint at a name to google or PM me a link.
Those old 'sweets' had some common artists with the comics depending on the publisher.

-Yoc

Very true, Yoc. (I sent you a PM with the link, BTW.)

I though that might be an interesting subject for a post, so I'm going to create a topic in the appropriate place to see what we can all discuss.
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »

Hey Eric, I'd love to have that link also. It sounds like a great site.

octal
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 08:10:22 PM »

I sent you a private message with the link, Octal. Enjoy the site.

Regards,
Eric
ip icon Logged

FlyingSquid

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: FlyingSquid
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 05:23:40 AM »

You can easily tell the copyright status of anything which has had its copyright renewed (or had initially been copyrighted without renewal) between 1953 and 1977 in the U.S. by searching the database at copyright.gov and checking to see if the work was renewed. Renewed copyrights are given the catalog numbers that start with RE. I work a lot with public domain film footage and that is always how our industry has worked and we have yet to have a problem.

As an example, here is a renewal record for X-Men #1: http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?v1=2&ti=1,2&Search_Arg=x-men&Search_Code=TALL&CNT=25&REC=0&RD=0&RC=0&PID=nSq1RgOnMuzfVt5SJ0BAJ6ziu1cd&SEQ=20080826010214&SID=18

However, as said elsewhere, you can run into a trademark issue even if the character has lapsed into the public domain. This can also be searched for at uspto.gov. Of course, you will not be 100% certain after that, but you are as certain as you can be without spending thousands of dollars on copyright attorney fees and I have yet to hear of anyone who has been found in violation of copyright who has followed these simple searches.

It's actually even more complicated when it comes to a film because, depending on how you use the film footage, you have to also check to see if the soundtrack was copyrighted separately (this was the case for It's a Wonderful Life which is public domain as long as you don't play any sound) and, if it was a derivative work, whether or not there are any underlying copyrights or trademarks.

Then you get into the whole celebrity likeness exploitation thing, but that's a whole other story.

There is one snag to this in periodicals: a publisher can bound every issue they printed that month (or year) into a single volume and copyright the entire volume. It's far cheaper to do it that way, and I have a feeling Mr. Victor A. Fox wasn't about to waste money on copyrighting each book individually. But... if Vic never got around to renewing copyrights due to being far too busy selling fallout shelters or whatever the heck he did after he stopped publishing endless ripoffs of Sheena, Queen of the Jungle, it has lapsed into the public domain. The problem being that it's hard to know what to search for in those circumstances.

Finally, something cannot be re-copyrighted after it has lapsed. The B-Movie business is full of not very bright people who think that since Ed Wood never renewed his copyright on Plan 9 from Outer Space, they can copyright it themselves. This won't work and it has never worked.

In general, I'd say that as far as the scans here are concerned, unless DC Comics really wants to force the trademark issue on a group giving away free issues of Mary Marvel that are copyright-free anyway (not to mention that she isn't exactly a DC Comics cash cow), they aren't going to care. They're never going to waste the ink reprinting them because they no that there wouldn't be enough of a buyer's market to sell them so why not let us trade them?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.