in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Concerning a lot of the Master Comics scans

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Concerning a lot of the Master Comics scans  (Read 4145 times)

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
Concerning a lot of the Master Comics scans
« on: April 02, 2008, 09:23:01 PM »

Hi! I just wanted to let everybody know that the scans of Fawcett's Master Comics uploaded by Yoc, plentiful as they are, are all pretty bad. Even though they are all marked as Fiche, and I'm grateful to Yoc for giving the public so many Nyoka adventures, in a lot of them it's hard to even make out what is happening. Take this page from Master Comics 120 for instance:

I don't know what's happening in the background of the bottom left panel! I know it's a lot to ask but it would be amazingly great if someone with a bit of knowledge of Photoshop would be able to touch up a few of those scans. Or at least that one page, so I get to see what Nyoka is doing! :D
Again, thanks anyway to Yoc, and I hope you won't be offended by this post if you read it. I've seen a lot of your scans on these pages and most of them are really nice.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
Re: Concerning a lot of the Master Comics scans
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »

That's probably one of my scans...though I had the scans done by somebody else.  If I get time I'll see what I can do.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 12:27:43 AM »

Well if someone can identify who the scanners are for each "dark" fiche l or one of the mods could ask the scanner if it is OK to edit them. It is not OK for others to alter the original scanners work without the scanners permission. l can easily download them and fix them, l just do not want to waste time looking for the scans and who scanned each fiche. Personally the example given seems fine to me, you are never going to get a fiche scan to look as good as a paper one, and most comic reading software does come with gamma correction to brighten the page without actually changing the scan itself. Editing them is not going to show any detail that was not in the original scan and there is no way to make the scans bigger without rescanning the fiche, most will be fine till we get a paper scan, although l have seen a few that were very dark.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:41:05 AM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:05:12 AM »

No offence taken on my part NC.   8)
Those scans did indeed come from DM.  I didn't feel it proper to adjust them without permission either.
Anyone who's going to try and clean up them will have a huge job on their hands!  The sheer number is pretty amazing!

I'm glad you've enjoyed my own edits working with LoftyPilot and Rolster since then.  You'll know it's one of mine by the silly monkey cover parodies.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:02:26 AM »

No offence taken on my part NC.   8)
Those scans did indeed come from DM.  I didn't feel it proper to adjust them without permission either.
Anyone who's going to try and clean up them will have a huge job on their hands!  The sheer number is pretty amazing!

I'm glad you've enjoyed my own edits working with LoftyPilot and Rolster since then.  You'll know it's one of mine by the silly monkey cover parodies.

-Yoc

If you remember, I took these scans and cleaned them up so that I could read them. I would never think of uploading them to the sight -- that would simply be disrespectful to DM's efforts.

...and yes, it took a few days to get the job done before I could burn it to dvd for storage.  :D

B. :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »

Just a note to say that anyone and everyone may feel free to edit any of my scans to imporve upon them at any time.  I tend toward quantity of quality.  I grew up watching TV with rabbit ears and could get the local ABC, NBC and CBS but the couple indy channels had the best stuff.  I was perfectly willing to watch the Marvel Superheroes through a complete haze of snow to hear the adventures that were basically comic stories poorly animated.  So HD is wasted on me I see nothing wrong with what I already have.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 04:51:28 PM »

Hi Boox,
I hope if DM is all right with it, that you might want to upload your cleaned up versions to the FTP and allow us to start sharing them with the site.

-Yoc

If you remember, I took these scans and cleaned them up so that I could read them. I would never think of uploading them to the sight -- that would simply be disrespectful to DM's efforts.

...and yes, it took a few days to get the job done before I could burn it to dvd for storage.  :D

B. :)
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2008, 12:13:20 AM »

Thanks a lot for the help, everybody, and especially to aussie500 for cleaning up the pic a bit! It's probably mostly the original artist's fault, but I got to say that I'm still not clear on what Nyoka is doing in the background of the bottom left panel. Is she really climbing a rope whilst carrying the Biku native piggyback style? Well if anyone can do it, it's Nyoka! God, I love her... ;D

I really like how friendly and nice the general tone of this board and site is. This is really an awesome community! Thanks a lot, guys!
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2008, 02:06:32 AM »

If you can make any of 'em clearer, including the Military / Modern scans some people are kvetching about, by all means do it and upload them.

DM

who hopes he doesn't get too many "funny monkey" covers out there
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.