in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Would like to add this comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Would like to add this comic  (Read 9870 times)

BobR

• VIP
message icon
Would like to add this comic
« on: April 06, 2008, 11:21:09 PM »

Aussie,
I tried adding Hit Comics # 54 to the site but the upload link won't work. Here is the link to it in Rapidshare if you can upload it. Thanks. Bob

http://rapidshare.com/files/105396324/Hit_Comics_054__001.zip
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
Re: Would like to add this comic
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:08:50 AM »

Thanks Bob, when l get a chance l will grab it and upload it for you, unfortunately for the foreseeable future we will only be able to upload to the site via the ftp.
ip icon Logged

BobR

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 04:29:05 AM »

Thank you.
   Bob
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:20:27 PM »

Nice to see my scans still finding an audiance.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 03:58:49 AM »

;D
They're always a 'Hit' with us Nigel!
;) ::)
ip icon Logged

BobR

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:24:37 AM »

Nigel, I sincerely apologize if I did anything wrong by posting this. When I found this online, it didn't say anything that I recall about who the original scanner was. I guess the least I should have done is state that it wasn't my scan. Again, my apologies.
           Bob
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »

No Worries Bob, you did us all a good turn in posting it here, thats the main thing. :)

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 05:57:31 PM »

Most of us would never consider it your scan unless you said so BobR, although now knowing the scanner you could always add Phabox as the scanner in the comments section if someone has not already done so.  ;)

We usually give the glory to the person who uploads it, since otherwise it would not get on the site, but it would be nice to know who scanned them all so we can thank them as well.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 04:13:32 AM »

Hi Bob,
I've been slowly working my way through the site trying to add the name of the original scanner when known.  It's always nice to give them some thanks as it's a truly boring job scanning.  And risky to their often expensive books.
Three Cheers For All The Scanners Out There!!!
;D ;D ;D

Normally on usenet the accepted way of reposting a book you didn't scan is to add "-NMS" or "Not My Scan" at the end of a subject line.  Here on GAC I'd suggest adding that in the comment section.  Just a FYI.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 01:25:34 PM »

Personally, I'd be wary of throwing around obscure acronyms where people coming in off the street might see them.  They're already a bit concerned about their quota, and an NMS comment means...what?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »

I keep my acronym safe inside my boxer shorts.
;)

"-NMS" or "Not My Scan"
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

John C

message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 04:11:06 PM »

I think you misunderstand my point.

I get what it means, because I read the message where you just explained it to Bob.  However, would a new user?  Do you believe they'll stumble across this thread before they start downloading?  I think that we can more easily bet on a daily "what does NMS mean?  Is it OK to download?" message to go along with the morning "Why can't I download?"

While I obviously don't have any objection to filling in the scanner for people who are interested, I don't see much use in "I don't know," especially since most scanners  seem to be able to point out that they DID scan it when they upload.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008, 10:22:03 PM »

l have to admit, it took me a while to work out what -NMS meant, for a while l thought there was actually a scanner called NMS. Perhaps if you want to be understood just adding not my scan in the comments would be helpful, l do not think many downloaders would understand what the abbreviation meant, most would not be usenet users.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 10:24:27 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged

BAY575GOLDENAGE

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BAY575GOLDENAGE
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2008, 12:51:20 AM »

I keep my acronym safe inside my boxer shorts.

I step away for a few weeks and this is the stuff I come back to?  ::)

is it Yoc, or yuk,as in yuk,yuk?    ;D

when I first joined having been "into comics" long before scans, I thought  N M S  stood for near mint scan... :-[
ip icon Logged

moondood

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: moondood
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 06:53:09 AM »

Hmmmm...I've scanned quite a few books (tho' not in the league of Cimmerian and the like)--and I don't give a crap about getting "scanning credit."  I scan and upload books to this site when I can--and help others with scanning questions, file format, image-viewers and such.

Some of my own scans have been sent to me as trades and comicscans I'd be interested in.  Fine with me--it's fun!

Maybe I just know in 100 years the credit doesn't matter--well, it doesn't matter to me now.

I guess if other scanners are looking for an "internet presence"--that's fine...to create an identity or something for contact purposes--I dunno.

That being said...I appreciate everyone who takes a golden book and a scanner and gets down to business.  Anonymously-generated or not, these books are treasures!  To be shared.  I purposely leave my name off file-names--heck, they disappear from file-names in about 10 seconds on the web anyway.  Otherwise, well-meaning friends wouldn't send them right back to me.

My point is: scanners, don't get caught up in the credit! Contribute, have fun (we're talkin' comics, folks).

Again, though--I must stress my undying gratitude to those who take the time to scan...I know I sound schitzo, but I like to think we're all working toward a larger goal than personal credit.  We're making this stuff available to future generations--I hope, anyway. 
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 09:08:35 AM »

I guess if other scanners are looking for an "internet presence"--that's fine...to create an identity or something for contact purposes--I dunno.

My point is: scanners, don't get caught up in the credit! Contribute, have fun (we're talkin' comics, folks).

Just a FYI really Kev, far from seeking glory as a scanner (in fact in the case of 'certain' books I try and keep my head down)  but when one of my scans does turn up I like the people here to know its mine just to show that I'm still 'doing my bit' and haven't got my V.I.P. status under false pretences.

As you quite rightly say what will it matter in 100 years time ?

(mind you I try this excuse to dodge out of doing the housework sometimes and it NEVER WORKS !!!)

-Nigel
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 12:52:02 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2008, 01:10:49 PM »

Moondood--

Well stated.

--Dave
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »

l cannot say l have been particularly fussed about credit, l usually put my scanner name in the title and that's as far as it goes what happens to it after release is not of much interest to me so long as people get to read it. On the other hand when someone recently tried to claim one of my scans was really his l stormed of ready to rip strips of someone. l suppose that translates as you can do what you like with it, just do not claim the person who did the hard work stole "your" scan, there are after all some advantages to knowing who scanned what and when they did it.   ;)
ip icon Logged

whamcomics

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2008, 02:54:55 AM »

Hi- I'm trying to upload Captain Marvel Adventures #150, but can't.  How do I access the FTP?
ip icon Logged

whamcomics

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2008, 03:30:50 AM »

Tried twice, following instructions.  Admin:  help?
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 03:59:01 AM »

Sent you a PM.
ip icon Logged

brian

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2009, 03:39:12 AM »

After you release a scan all kinds of things can happen to it. Tags disappear, credit is removed, pages can get renumbered. I often scan ads and I have seen them removed.

The only concern that I have is the one mentioned by Aussie. Someone taking credit for one of my scans. One person actually changed the CBR to a PDF and claimed it was theirs. Funny how their scanning bed has the same exact scratch on it as mine. Really strange how it showed up on the same exact page in the same exact pixel placement..  ::)

But, like the reference to animals (or computer viruses) there is nothing you can do with the scan when it is released into the wild. You can't control it any more than the original paper can be controlled and then digitized.

And what is the ownership anyway? I would think that the writer and artist would have the best claims since it was their intellectual construction. lol

Anyway.. I as many others have said. I am just happy that they are available. Especially, things like the scans on this site since they have the greatest chance of vanishing.  ;)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2009, 05:47:20 AM »

Well said Brian.
:)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.