in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150505 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2008, 09:12:46 PM »

Thanks Darwin, lovely stuff as always.
Now up.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »

Crime Does Not Pay 121 thanks to Darwination and Mouse
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2008, 12:30:48 AM »

Thanks, Narf, for catching that one.  I think Mouse was tasked with upping that one back when he edited.  What a slacker  ;D Here's the cover, gotta love a cigarette girl.

ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2008, 01:47:30 AM »

Young Romance 060 (v06n12)(1953-08.Prize)

A nice romance comic featuring Simon and Kirby art.  Enjoy,

Darwin

Plus Bill Draut, Mort Meskin, John Prentice and Al Eadeh, too. Let's not forget the supporting players.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2008, 04:13:17 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the other artists in the Young Romance, Jim.  While I might come off as the knowledgeable sort when it comes to golden age comics, I'm really something of a neophyte.  I've been quite amazed at how much information you are able to gather on the index cards in the comics from your collection. I definitely should make more of an effort to index my comics as I scan them although I certainly don't have the eye and experience of some the golden age gurus around here.  That said, I very much welcome anyone to help me out by pointing out artists as I post these.  It seems like a great opportunity to get these comics indexed as they are added to the site because a number of people are looking at the same comic.  Not to get the boards too messy or whatnot, but I surely wouldn't mind if more of the comics around here were filled out more by the scanners and readers as far as bibliographical information goes.  However, I can admit to often posting a comic before I even read it  :-[ so I might not always do my due dilligence as far as indexing but should try harder!

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #130 on: December 10, 2008, 02:44:03 AM »

The very real problem with your request, Narf,
is that very few people actually possess the information you ask for. I just happen to know quite a bit, but there are a LOT of artists even I don't know. One of the reasons I want the data cards posted is in hopes of someone actually being able to add to our knowledge. The information belongs in one central place, like the GCD, and the other reason I would like the cards to accompany all the scans is in hopes that someone will transfer the data TO the GCD, since I haven't the time. I'm still in the process of trying to get all of the Fiction House credits recorded there, but their computer/server doesn't seem to want to work at the times that I do.

ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #131 on: December 19, 2008, 05:17:57 AM »

I'll be travelling this Xmas season, so this is probably my last scan until the new year.  Thanks everybody for a great year of scans.  Here's True Comics 35:

Cheers and see you all in 2009,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #132 on: December 19, 2008, 06:41:32 AM »

above cover by the under-appreciated and under-promoted and virtually unknown SAM GLANKOFF.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #133 on: December 19, 2008, 06:54:50 AM »

Thanks Darwin, I'll have it up shortly.
:)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2009, 05:53:15 AM »

This weekend's offering is Wanted 32 from December 1950 on Toytown.  It looks like Toytown/Orbit/Patches published out of St. Louis and their main titles were Wanted, Love Diary and The Westerner (Wild Bill Pecos).  Mort Leav started as the art director and did a lot of the covers and lead stories.  This cover is by Mort Lawrence and is one of my favorite in the series, a fiery scene of some sort of crime of passion and the walls closing in.  I guess the fiery dude serves as a sort of narrator sort of function.  Does anyone know how he got stuck with the job?  Was he a victim or perpetrator of crime?  This ish leads with "The Man Who Lost his Face" about a pretty boy mobster ready to kill a lass that scratches him for unbecoming advances.  A weasel like that is a natural to fall in with the mob bosses' girlfriend.  Murder, double-cross and plastic surgery ensue. Second up, part of Action Unlimited, "Now you can watch Tony Action - In Action!"  A survey asks if reader want this one to continue, I can't imagine there was too strong of a response, heh heh.  The text story "The Red Neck-Tie" regards a color blind tough guy that just wants to be a goodfella.  Somehow he lands a job in a fabric stockroom, sent to help the mob boss pick out his drapes, his color blindness is exposed, but the mob boss likes him anyway.  A strange story.  Third Up, "Dead Man's Witness."  A raid on a small time bookmaker reveals a nationwide effort by the mob to rig horse races.  It's time to call in the FBI, cuz only the federal government is smart enough to deal with the wily syndicate. Last up, my favorite of the bunch, "Gang Doctor."  If there's one thing worse than criminals, it's doctors.  Watch Gang Doctor play to hypochondriac jet-setters only to be introduced to gangsters willing to pay his steep fees for hush hush bullet wound surgeries.  Are there no bounds to Gang Doctor's greed?  A fun ish!  I guess this title is a bit notorious for grit and violence, but I thought the art was pretty good in here and the stories quirky how I like em.

Enjoy,

Darwin

P.S.  I'm also upping 13 (scanned by Ontology) and 48 (thanks to the unknown scanner).  Those are the only other two scanned issues and I didn't see them around (though I might not be looking in the right place)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2009, 06:15:33 AM »

Wow, what a GREAT COVER!!
Darwin, you know how to pick them!  If I were around when this came out I'd have made a beeline to the book saying 'cooooooool!'

Thanks for another unique upload.
:)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2009, 06:32:03 AM »

This weekend's offering is Wanted 32 from December 1950 on Toytown.  It looks like Toytown/Orbit/Patches published out of St. Louis and their main titles were Wanted, Love Diary and The Westerner (Wild Bill Pecos).  Mort Leav started as the art director and did a lot of the covers and lead stories.  This cover is by Mort Lawrence and is one of my favorite in the series, a fiery scene of some sort of crime of passion and the walls closing in.  I guess the fiery dude serves as a sort of narrator sort of function.  Does anyone know how he got stuck with the job?  Was he a victim or perpetrator of crime? 

Enjoy,

Darwin

P.S.  I'm also upping 13 (scanned by Ontology) and 48 (thanks to the unknown scanner).  Those are the only other two scanned issues and I didn't see them around (though I might not be looking in the right place)

The character in the top hat debuts in issue #9 (the first issue) and he's a character in the final story of the book. In the last panel of the story, it's revealed that he's "Satan" and that his address is "Purgatory." With the next issue, he's on the cover and is the "narrator/host" of three of the five stories in the book.

Rae Hermann was the editor of Orbit and she certainly knew how to pick great artists. In this issue alone, besides the cover by the great Mort Lawrence, there are stories by Mort Leav ("The Man Who Lost His Face" and "Action Unlimited"), John Forte ("Wanted: William Freddie Davis" and "Wanted: William Densk"), Syd Shores ("Dead Man's Witness") and John Buscema ("Gang Doctor"). Some of Buscema's work for Orbit is CLASSIC. They also published Love Journal and, previously, Taffy, Toytown and Patches.

You've got great taste, Darwin. I love Orbit's comics and have all of them except one issue of Patches (#7). I'm just going through the Wanteds again since you posted that cover. Thanks for the nudge.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2009, 10:25:53 PM »

Sweethearts 32 is now onsite thanks Darwination
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

Thanks Narf for putting Sweethearts 032 up and thanks Jim for the information on the narrator for Wanted.  He seems to serve a number of functions in the little bit of the series I've read, the idea that he's Satan is pretty neat.  Here's the cover for the Sweethearts:

I "think" this one was sent to me by Pmack in pile of Charlton romances for me to scan but am not entirely sure (thanks for the "sissy" comics Pmack, even if this wasn't one of them)   ;) 

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #139 on: January 13, 2009, 06:03:27 AM »

Woohoo! Original Spirit Sections are go!  Here's a fresh one

Spirit Section 1943-05-16 (Chicago Sun)(Darwination-DREGS).cbr

As well as 17 others:

Spirit Section 1940-09-08 (Philadelphia Record)(Vigilante407).cbr
Spirit Section 1941-06-15 (Philadelphia Record).cbr             
Spirit Section 1943-04-10 (Montreal Standard).cbr               
Spirit Section 1943-04-17 (Montreal Standard).cbr               
Spirit Section 1943-05-30 (Philadelphia Record)(HP) .cbr         
Spirit Section 1943-06-27 (Star Ledger).cbr                     
Spirit Section 1944-10-08 (Philadelphia Record).cbr             
Spirit Section 1945-01-07 (Philadelphia Record)(Spectre99).cbz   
Spirit Section 1945-01-28 (Chicago Sun) (HP).cbz                 
Spirit Section 1945-02-25 (Philadelphia Record).cbr             
Spirit Section 1945-04-15 (Philadelphia Record).cbr             
Spirit Section 1945-06-24 [Chicago Sun] (16p.Cimmerian32).cbz   
Spirit Section 1945-07-08  [Chicago Sun] (c2c.lindalee).cbr     
Spirit Section 1945-11-18 [Miami Beach Daily Sun] (16p.Cimmerian32).cbz
Spirit Section 1945-12-09 [Sunday Mirror] (16p.Cimmerian32) 0201.cbz
Spirit Section 1946-02-24 (Chicago Sun)(Darwination-DCP).cbr     
Spirit Section 1946-09-29 (Chicago Sun)(c2c.lindalee).cbr

I wonder if there are any more scanned sections out there?  If not, let's get on it  ;)  I've got a handful in my scan pile I'll be doing now and again.  The sections look awesome on the big screen, a great presentation of Eisner's groundbreaking comics.  The backups like Lady Luck and Mr. Mystic are way cool as well.  Big thanks to the other scanners represented in that list - Cimmerian, lindalee, HP, Spectre, Vigilante, and anyone else who has scanned these.

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:05:37 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #140 on: January 13, 2009, 06:26:51 AM »

This is Great Darwin. 

Several years ago I borrowed more than 100 Spirit sections to scan from Jerry Bails (through Ray Bottorff), but unfortunately they sold almost immediately and I had to return them unscanned.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 06:41:03 AM by JonTheScanner »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #141 on: January 13, 2009, 08:35:05 AM »

Oh man, that's a sad story Jon!
:(
ip icon Logged

Henry Peters

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #142 on: January 13, 2009, 02:45:01 PM »

thanks for the spirit section.  i uploaded the two complete sections i had scans of that looked like they were missing (44-06-11 and 44-07-09).  these are by an unknown scanner and have been floating around for awhile.  i've got about a dozen section i can scan (mostly from '45).  even though the spirit stories have all been reprinted, the lady luck and 3rd features are always a treat.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2009, 03:05:02 PM »

Thanks, HP!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #144 on: January 14, 2009, 03:40:07 AM »

Hi-School Romance 017 (1952-10.Harvey)

Scandalous!  It sure seems like there's a lot of snuggling in cars in the golden age romance books.  Maybe making out in cars has sort of dropped out of the culture, eh?  Are parents more permissive, or has the automobile kind of lost some of its centrality in youth culture?  Hmm...

I had to crop this one closer than I like because it was so browned around the edges.  I didn't pay much for it, but it was advertised as a file copy.  Sure it's flat and appears little read and has a glossy cover, but the pages are very browned on the edges and so brittle that I'm just going to read the scan instead of opening the bag again.  I completely prefer some of the comics I've gotten that have been read over and over in the 1.5 to 2.0 range with nice thick pages that I can read comfortably (or in the bathtub  :o) without worry of damage to some of the supposedly mid-grade or higher grade comics I've gotten that may not have been handled too much but are uber-delicate.  I guess it's just how they've been stored...
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 03:41:49 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #145 on: January 14, 2009, 05:00:09 AM »

Scandalous!  It sure seems like there's a lot of snuggling in cars in the golden age romance books.  Maybe making out in cars has sort of dropped out of the culture, eh?  Are parents more permissive, or has the automobile kind of lost some of its centrality in youth culture?  Hmm...

It was still going on in the early sixties, Darwin. I can attest to this from firsthand experience. I had my first date with Karen in 1962 and we went "up in the hills to 'park' after the movie." Of course, we didn't have absentee parents nor friends with their own apartments, either, and we had to know the good places where you could park for a few hours without the neighbors calling the cops.

In my day, however, the cops usually just rolled up in their cars and shined a spotlight on us and we scrammed pretty fast.

Nostalgically yours, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2009, 10:18:22 PM »

Hey all, this one is my scan and was edited by Icarus.  Once again, he did a nice job with a comic in poor shape.  Thanks Icarus  :)

Shocking Mystery Cases 060 (1954-10.Star)

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2009, 12:16:21 AM »

Available for all thanks Darwin
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2009, 01:03:04 AM »

This weekend's scan features a fun cover from Everett Raymond Kinstler, Romantic Love 22:

This cover is often advertised as salacious on ebay, but I think it's naughty and nice all at the same time.  The kitchen is the heart of the home - sizzle, sizzle.  My wife hates it if I grab her when she's cooking, so I try and refrain  ::) Inside is a racy collection of tales.  "Too Young to Love" concerns a seventeen year old who falls for the school engineer.  After dating the older man, men her age no longer thrill her, but tragedy ensues when she learns he's a married man... "Doomed to Silence" features a girl in love with her mother's boyfriend.  One night when her mother steps out, she enters the living room in her negligee to find her mother's lover and passions ignite.  Third up, meet Carole and Rita in "Two Wayward Girls!"  in which Carole finds herself in the sordid world of love for hire.  (I'm amazed at how frequently this them is used in golden age romance). Lastly, "Born for Trouble!" in which a different Carole (you'd think they'd switch names in back to back stories) is popular with the boys because she's known as easy to kiss.  After school she finds herself as a secretary in an insurance firm and is courted by the gentle Eric Thompson whom she dates many times without his ever once trying to kiss her.  When they finally do, she finds the kiss passionless and herself holding in a wild unfulfilled passion. She continues to date Eric but meets Ralph, the dangerous type, who greets meets her with the classy line "Hey, Beautiful.  Where have you been all my life?"  ::)  Not surprisingly, she's attracted to this dangerous type and he involves her in a robbery.  Can the nice but boring Eric save her from such a wolf?  Great stuff...

Also at the ftp, Heart Throbs 9, edited by Vigilante and featuring Robert Mitchum and Jane Russel on the cover.  Thanks Vigilante.

Cheers,

Darwin

p.s.  I've also got Romantic Love 20 in my scan pile which I plan to get to soon.  I probably should have done them in order, but this cover kind of jumped out at me when I was flipping through my scan pile...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:47:30 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2009, 01:50:45 AM »

Great, Dar!  And when do we get another ish of JUSTICE DOES A COSSACK DANCE ON THE FACE OF THE GUILTY?
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.