in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150537 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #150 on: January 19, 2009, 02:51:44 AM »

Thanks darwin and Vig now up for all
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2009, 03:32:02 AM »

Great, Dar!  And when do we get another ish of JUSTICE DOES A COSSACK DANCE ON THE FACE OF THE GUILTY?

Ha!  I don't have any more Justice Traps the Guilty, DM, but I'll put a crime book next on the docket.  ;)

I do however have a good number of Crestwood romances that I will be getting to sooner or later.  Bizarre as it may seem, I see romance and crime as two very similar genres...
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2009, 03:37:54 AM »

Yup, anybody who's done any dating can agree to that.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2009, 07:18:44 PM »

Bahaha, I just spit iced tea all over my screen.

You need to stop dating the girls from the halfway houses, DM  ;D
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #154 on: January 20, 2009, 08:06:39 PM »

dang man, that one made me laugh outloud!
Congratulations!
Darkmark receives the honorable GA-UK One-Liner Award.
Saaalute!

Yup, anybody who's done any dating can agree to that.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #155 on: January 20, 2009, 10:36:01 PM »

Great, Dar!  And when do we get another ish of JUSTICE DOES A COSSACK DANCE ON THE FACE OF THE GUILTY?

Ha!  I don't have any more Justice Traps the Guilty, DM, but I'll put a crime book next on the docket.  ;)

I do however have a good number of Crestwood romances that I will be getting to sooner or later.  Bizarre as it may seem, I see romance and crime as two very similar genres...

Darwin, did you know that there are TWO issues of JTtG #60? The second one is actually labeled "60A". Little known true fact.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #156 on: January 25, 2009, 09:13:49 PM »

I didn't know that.  It seems a bit odd that such a snafu would take place in the middle of the run like that.  Is there any logical explanation for why they did the same issue number twice?  I went to check if the issues are scanned, and it seems there is a bit of work to do on that series.  We're appx. 19 for 92.  I'm kind of surprised the Kirby nuts (cough, excuse the term) haven't hit this one a bit harder.

And this weekend's comic.  I promised crime and I deliver... romance.  Sorry, DM, but HP offered up some raws , and I couldnt resist... Thanks, HP! :)

Lovelorn 006 (1950-06.ACG)(HP-Darwination).cbr

I haven't really checked out too much ACG romance, but like what I've seen. I'm eager to read this issue, in particular the cover story about love between Slave and Master (insert marriage joke here)...

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 09:16:06 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #157 on: January 25, 2009, 09:52:20 PM »

Thanks Henry and Darwin now up
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #158 on: January 25, 2009, 10:54:26 PM »

Are you sure this isn't a promo for the WWE?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #159 on: January 26, 2009, 08:18:00 PM »

I didn't know that.  It seems a bit odd that such a snafu would take place in the middle of the run like that.  Is there any logical explanation for why they did the same issue number twice?  I went to check if the issues are scanned, and it seems there is a bit of work to do on that series.  We're appx. 19 for 92.  I'm kind of surprised the Kirby nuts (cough, excuse the term) haven't hit this one a bit harder.

Cheers,

Darwin

It seems much more deliberate than a snafu, Darwin. It's actually labeled "60 A" on the cover.

ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Prison Break 03 (1952-04.Realistic)
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2009, 06:41:22 PM »

As promised a couple weeks back, it was time for some crime this weekend.  Prison Break 03 from 1952, featuring a cover swiped from the paperback Blondie Iscariot: Siren of the Underworld:

http://www.freewebs.com/jyeagerbookimages/avon/avon0179.JPG

A stunning inside cover from Tex Bleisdell on this issue. These Avon inside front covers are some of my favorite pages in the golden age:

The first story is also by Tex, "Francine O' Connor - The Empress of Crime" about a woman with amazon features and freakish strength.  What can good parents do but send a child like this to live with the carnival...

A life of crime ensues, and Francine is a man smackin' sadistic queen of crime.  Featuring a penitentiary catfight, woot.  Great bad girl comics.  Second up, "Sonny Terhune - Machine-Gun Madman!" featuring Goldfarb and Baer art in which Sonny displays his mastery of the tommy gun by shooting a cigar from a fellow mobster's mouth.  Third up, "Lina Foyle: Gun Moll!" with art by Joe Orlando about a red-headed moll's rise and fall.  She's a man smacker too, most definitely a symptom of being a bad girl:

Lastly, an odd story about mysterious deaths at the asylum, "Death Comes Laughing" featuring Sid Check art.  I'm happy DM talked me into a crime comic this week, this is a fun ish  :)

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #161 on: February 01, 2009, 07:04:07 PM »

Prison Break 3 is now firmly locked away in the Avon section thanks to Darwination's heroic efforts.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2009, 05:55:08 AM »

Thanks Darwin!
:)

And people, if you haven't found it yet our pal Darwin also runs a fun blog. 
Check it out:
http://darwinscans.blogspot.com/
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: Prison Break 03 (1952-04.Realistic)
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2009, 08:58:34 PM »

Third up, "Lina Foyle: Gun Moll!" with art by Joe Orlando about a red-headed moll's rise and fall.  She's a man smacker too, most definitely a symptom of being a bad girl:

Cheers,

Darwin

Hi, Darwin,
FYI. I don't know where you got the "Joe Orlando" credit, but this is Harry Lazarus art.

ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #164 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:31 PM »

I think I must have gotten that out of Overstreet, Jim.  My apologies.  I believe I saw a signed Lazarus story in issue 4 if this series as well.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2009, 03:01:00 AM »

I think I must have gotten that out of Overstreet, Jim.  My apologies.  I believe I saw a signed Lazarus story in issue 4 if this series as well.

Goes to show you that you can't trust that darn Overstreet, Darwin.
Yes, there is a signed Lazarus story in issue 4. If Overstreet had given it any thought, it would have been obvious that ALL of Orlando's Avon work was either WITH Wally Wood or very much A LA Wood. Witness his style when he finally "graduated" to EC. There are simply WAY too many credits in Overstreet that got there by way of dealers with a vested interest in "name" art. One reason I stopped contribution very early on - Bob was very willing to ADD a "name" credit, but would almost always ignore my corrections that subtracted such an entry.

Love those Avons. You should check out my book on Kinstler if you haven't gotten it yet. There must be a dozen of his inside front covers in there, many from the original art. In fact, if you are at all interested, I think he's selling the few he has left... I could ask.

ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »

Funny you should mention the subject, Twobyfour showed me this just the other day, the original art for Prison Break 02 up for auction at Heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7002&Lot_No=92127

To be honest I'm a real cheapie and have never collected original art.  That's a beauty though!  One of these days I'll branch out into a little art ownership but it might have to wait for the next house...
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2009, 06:33:36 AM »

Funny you should mention the subject, Twobyfour showed me this just the other day, the original art for Prison Break 02 up for auction at Heritage:

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=7002&Lot_No=92127

To be honest I'm a real cheapie and have never collected original art.  That's a beauty though!  One of these days I'll branch out into a little art ownership but it might have to wait for the next house...

I'm with you there, Darwin,
Over 40+ years of collecting, I think I've accumulated less than a dozen pieces of original art. We have a Doug Wildey original from his book, The Movie Cowboy, but it's not really mine. When he tried to give it to me, I wouldn't take it, but Karen jumped up and said she WOULD. I learned better when I finished the Kinstler book and gratefully accepted the two originals he gave me.

I have a Rip Hunter Toth page that I bought back in 1972 or so - about the same time I picked up a couple of Gray Morrow romance pages and, my prize, a Joe Maneely Mrs. Lyon's Cubs Sunday page at my one and only New York Con. Karen also has a nice Bill Stout original painting and a Charles Vess page from Stardust, and I've got a Stardust original, too. Charles "depicted" me as a bookseller in Faery in the back of the book and sold me the page at a price I couldn't refuse. Oh, yeah, and Kinstler sent me a portrait he did of me from a jpeg I sent his wife while we were working on his book and Manual Auad got Alfred Alcala to paint a picture of me back in about 1974. Got a few sketches from customers when I was running Bud Plant Illustrated Books, including ones from Ken Steacy and Carolyn Kelly. And that's about it. So, yeah, that's about 12 for me and three or four for Karen.

For old time art, together Karen and I purchased two Harry Rountree originals and I bought one Rountree original from The Lost World from his illustrations in The Strand in 1912. Don't ask how THAT happened...

I'm too cheap to buy art. Simply put, I'd rather have the comics, and my standards there are becoming all too well known to the guys who are scanning them for GAC.

My book on Kinstler has about 30 of his Avon inside front covers reproduced (including the one for sale at Heritage), most full page and about half of them from the original art. Still available at 20% off the cover price. $36 plus postage. End of commercial.

ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2009, 06:48:52 AM »

I have almost nothing in that department.  I have a few odd sketches; the only original art I have is a preliminary rough by Sheldon Mayer for a Sugar & Spike splash.  Which was, amazingly, less than $20 a few months ago on eBay.  I could probably sell some of the sketches for more than that.  :D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #169 on: February 09, 2009, 04:16:03 PM »

I've cbr'd and uploaded 3 complete Spirit Sections that were pointed out to me from this great blog:

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/

I tagged the files with the blogger's handle.  The issues are:

Spirit Section 1940-07-07 (Detroit News) (Mr. Door Tree).cbr
Spirit Section 1940-07-14 (Detroit News) (Mr. Door Tree).cbr
Spirit Section 1940-07-21 (Detroit News) (Mr. Door Tree).cbr

Nice editions!  Thanks to the scanner.

I was working on a couple vintage women's magazines this weekend, so no comics, but I'll be back in the golden age next weekend...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 04:20:42 PM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2009, 06:22:31 AM »

Thanks for the uploads Darwin.
I've posted links to Mr Tree's blog in the past.  Always a fun read!

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #171 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:04 PM »

Crime Must Pay the Penalty! 024 (1952-02.Ace)

Hey all - new Ace book on the FTP. Been loving all the goodies from my fellow scanners lately.  :)

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #172 on: February 18, 2009, 12:11:29 AM »

Now up thanks Dar
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #173 on: February 18, 2009, 05:26:51 AM »

Thanks for another Ace scan Darwin!
:)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #174 on: February 18, 2009, 07:03:57 PM »

Great cover by Ken Rice, Darwin,
One of my favorite artists at Ace.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.