in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150645 times)

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 12:48:11 AM »

And don't forget...more Justice Curbstomps the Guilty!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 05:27:04 AM »

No Justice Traps the Guilty this time, but here is the plenty rough and tumble The Perfect Crime 12.  This cover is hard-boiled for sure.  I don't know much about Cross Publications, as this is the only title of their titles I've come across.  A number of the issues in this series have great covers, many of them terribly graphic. 

« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 05:34:54 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 02:26:22 AM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2008, 02:51:07 PM »

I saw The Texan 007 was missing from the St. John files and upped it.  Thanks to KF and  Henry Peters for this one.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:44 PM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 06:38:54 AM »

Here I am sneaking in during the middle of the night again!  I checked my comic drops and the last handful are all after midnight, sheesh.  Is scanneritis depriving me of sleep  ???   But who can sleep, when you could be - SCANNING FUNNY ANIMALS  :o.  Egbert 17, the Canadian Edition. 

Cheers and enjoy,

Darwin

ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 11:26:45 AM »

Thanks Darwin.
ip icon Logged

comicOD

message icon
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2008, 06:47:44 PM »

Thanks Darwin, for the Witches tales and Chamber of Chills comics.

I've been really enjoying the stories. Very creepy! ;D

I'm in my mid-thirties but have really taken an interest in these golden age comics.
Was a big fan of Marvel growing up. Today, I've really got into the golden, silver and
bronze horror and suspense comics.

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 04:43:02 PM by comicOD »
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »

I hate to be overly spammy but Ima copy a post of mine from elsewhere on the interwebs to accompany some new uploads.  There was a little discussion on our boards re: the new St. John issue of Alter Ego and I noticed this title was missing:

Here is a comic featuring flat-out amazing art and the adventures of Abbott and Costello from fantastic golden age publisher St. John.  It ran 40 issues from 1948 -1956 and there was also a 3-D special published in November of 1953.  I just saw this comic for the first time recently and fell instantly in love with fantastic art work and coloring.  For those of you unfamiliar with Bud Abbott and Lou Costello, here's a wiki:

Code: [Select]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbott_and_costello

Best remembered for their "Who's on First?" routine, a classic in miscommunication, they are probably also most remembered for their films such as Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein or Abbott and Costello Meet the Invisible Man.  They both started their careers in the burlesque remnants of vaudeville and paired for the first time in 1935, Abbott as straight man and Costello as a bumbling goof.  They had instant chemistry and their careers really took off in 1938 with a national radio broadcast of "Who's on First", resulting in Broadway, film, and radio contracts for the fast-rising duo.  By 1942 the two were the top box office draw in America, netting $10 Million dollars between them.  They remained a top 10 draw for the next 10 years and eventually had their own television show.  You can check the wiki for some of the more sordid details of their personal lives, but the two undoubtedly affected generations of comedians and remain American icons.  They are given writing credit for some of the stories in these comics, but I think I'd have to learn a little more about these comics before I quite buy into that one.  Check out the wiki for all sorts of public domain old time radio material, still funny after all these years.

The main attraction in the comics, though, is the stunning art by Eric Peters and one-time wife Lily Renee.  Peters is more famous for his work as illustrator in Collier's and The Saturday Evening Post (SCAN THESE IF YOU HAVE THEM) and Renee is most well-known for her role as a woman pioneer in the comics field and her stunning art in a tenure for Fiction House in the series The Lost World, Werewolf Hunters, and super-fox Senorita Rio.  A sample of her work, the cover to Fight Comics 47 from December 1946:

Here's an awesome interview with Lily Renee conducted by Trina Robbins, one of my favorite underground artists and now comix historian:

Code: [Select]
http://www.tcj.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=466&Itemid=48

I "think" she is inking Peters work in some of these early issues, and that Peters would continue on the comic after their split (with possibly other artists taking over for later issues), but I'm not certain, being pretty new to both artists.  Please feel free to kick down a little knowledge on either of these artists.  As we get more of these issues in, we will be able to find out all the artists that worked on the title.  Overstreet mentions that Joe Kubert does a story in issue 10 I'd love to see.

A special thanks to Ontology, who scanned at least a couple of these issues,  he is without a doubt one of our best goldenage scanners, scanning a varied and tasteful sampling of goldenage titles.  You never know what he is gonna drop from one week to the next, but it is always great stuff.  Here are all the issues scanned thus far.  As always, scan em if you got em.

Abbott and Costello Comics 003 (1948-07.St. John)

Abbott and Costello Comics 006 (1949-02.St. John) c2c (Ontology)

Abbott and Costello Comics 008 (1949-08.St. John) c2c

Abbott and Costello Comics 009 (1950-02.St. John) c2c (Ontology)

Abbott And Costello Comics 013 (1951-08.St. John) c2c

Abbott and Costello Comics 002 (1948-04.St. John) (36p c2c) (Ontology).cbr

Ontology dropped this one off like a thief in the night this weekend and I didn't even get to thank him.  I'd seen this cover before and absolutely love it.  It might be the best in the series. This ish features "Concerning Costello" by Bud Abbott on the inside cover pages and a couple of great stories.  The extendend piece is "So Near and Yet Safari" full of dazzling art, jungle dames, monkeys, savages and bufoonery and the second story is "The Case of the Idle Idol" chock full of un-pc stereotypes of the Asian menace in chinatown.  A delightful issue, thanks Ontology!

#### Also, I am upping Jackie Gleason issues 3 and 4.

Enjoy, and again thanks to the scanners of all these fine golden age comics,

Darwin 8)
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »

Thanks for the uploads Darwin.
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
Abbott and Costello 012
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 04:45:01 AM »

Well, I think I managed to drop one off before midnight this time ::)

Here's Abbott and Costello Comics issue 12 from 1951 on St. John which appears to be an adaptation of the Wistful Widow of Wagon Gap.  I haven't seen that particular film so I'm not sure how faithful a representation this is.  By the way, I'd love to see what an issue of the St. John Laurel and Hardy comic looks like if anyone has one hiding away somewhere.

Enjoy,

Darwination
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 05:38:21 AM »

beautiful job, man!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2008, 07:13:18 PM »

Thanks, Cimm. :)

At the FTP,  Weird Horrors 002 and Baffling Mysteries 015 and 017.  I think these Ace horror comics are pretty good.  Thanks to the scanners of these ghoulish treats. Supposedly there are scans for issue 16 and 21 of the Baffling Mysteries but I haven't been able to track em down yet.

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 12:12:35 AM »

I managed to track down the scan for the Baffling Mysteries 21 and it's going to the ftp.   
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 12:22:00 AM »

Many thanks Darwin!
;D
ip icon Logged

octal

message icon
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »

Cool stuff Darwin!

octal
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »

On it's merry way to the FTP, the first issue to be scanned of Shocking Mystery Cases from Star in 1953.  I'm thinking this title goes from a mystery/horror/crime to straight crime in the later issues.  I recently managed to pick up 5 scanning grade issues for $18 before shipping (!).  Doc Oldskool did the edit on this one for me, and he did a FANTASTIC job with it, really a top-tier edit, so thanks Doc!

I haven't gotten to read it yet but figured I'd go ahead and up this in case anyone needs their goldenage fix on this lovely Saturday.

Cheers,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2008, 09:39:12 PM »

Thanks Darwin this book was not indexed in the Grand Comicbook Database but it is now :)
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2008, 11:13:50 PM »

Thanks Darwin and Doc.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #44 on: May 18, 2008, 02:06:48 AM »

Great work guys!!
I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more from this title!
:P
ip icon Logged

comicOD

message icon
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2008, 09:41:04 PM »

Thanks very much, Darwin!

Looking very much forward to reading Weird Horrors and Shocking Mysteries! 8)

As you can tell, I really like the scary genre of comic. I had read enough kiddie adventure comics as a kid.

Now, I just like to be intrigued and scared! :o ;)
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:33 AM »

Just downloaded #55 and marvelled at the cleaness of the scan. Was it a nm book Doc was working with or what?
Any chance on finding out hoe Doc produced such a beautiful scan?
Thanks

Quote from: darwination

On it's merry way to the FTP, the first issue to be scanned of Shocking Mystery Cases from Star in 1953.  I'm thinking this title goes from a mystery/horror/crime to straight crime in the later issues.  I recently managed to pick up 5 scanning grade issues for $18 before shipping (!).  Doc Oldskool did the edit on this one for me, and he did a FANTASTIC job with it, really a top-tier edit, so thanks Doc!

I haven't gotten to read it yet but figured I'd go ahead and up this in case anyone needs their goldenage fix on this lovely Saturday.

Cheers,

Darwin
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 02:08:04 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 03:26:13 PM »

I believe Doc is a member here, mebbe he'll step in and give some pointers.  The comic was about a 2.0, he had to do some cover work but the inside pages were in pretty nice condition.  These old comics are cut so funky and printed off center, I'm sure he's done a lot of work here rotating and building out the page to get such a nice big crop.  Not to mention the pages are so clean he's surely taken out the odd bits with the clone stamp here and there and here and there.  As for the color edit, perhaps he'll share the recipe  ;)

ComicOD -- was looking at a Tomb of Terror in a auction last night and took the time to track down the scanned issues.  These Harvey horror comics have fantastic covers and are a lot of fun and I look forward to reading this stack.  On the way to the FTP issues 1,2,3,5,6,11i, and 14.  Enoy, and thanks so much to the original scanners of these comics.  Scan em if you got em,

Darwin
ip icon Logged

comicOD

message icon
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 04:40:00 PM »

Thanks so much for looking and finding these issues, Darwin! :)

I look very much forward to reading these Tomb of Terror comics as well! I had actually noticed Tomb of terror
advertised in one of the Witches tales issues I had read. I thought, man that looks pretty cool! Havey had some good
golden age, pre code horror. I've really enjoyed checking out Witches Tales, Black Cat Mystery and Chamber of
Chills. ;D

Not too long ago, prior to knowing anything about pre code comics, I thought Harvey was only known for printing the lame (although I liked it as a kid) Casper and Wendy. Boy, was I wrong! :o

ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 05:52:28 PM »

Whoa! A 2.0 presented as well as it was is most excellent work.
Gee, to think there might be hope for some of those 'seen better days' issues in my collection makes me want to learn the restoration techniques.

Cheers

I believe Doc is a member here, mebbe he'll step in and give some pointers.  The comic was about a 2.0, he had to do some cover work but the inside pages were in pretty nice condition.  These old comics are cut so funky and printed off center, I'm sure he's done a lot of work here rotating and building out the page to get such a nice big crop.  Not to mention the pages are so clean he's surely taken out the odd bits with the clone stamp here and there and here and there.  As for the color edit, perhaps he'll share the recipe  ;)

Darwin
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.