in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Darwination's Uploads

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Darwination's Uploads  (Read 150610 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads
« Reply #325 on: July 23, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »

Thanks to both Darwin and Pyramid for this one.  As you're probably aware it's one of my favorites!
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #326 on: July 26, 2010, 02:14:31 AM »

Teen-Age Temptations 002 (1953) (St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

One of my favorite Matt Baker covers.  Thanks to JVJ for letting us at his collection and to Twobyfour for the raws.

At the FTP or available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yrokmr68oi1a3t5#1
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:20:06 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #327 on: July 26, 2010, 02:31:55 AM »

Teen-Age Temptations 002 (1953) (St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)
One of my favorite Matt Baker covers.  Thanks to JVJ for letting us at his collection and to Twobyfour for the raws.

At the FTP or available here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yrokmr68oi1a3t5#1

Thank you sir! It is now live on the download site!

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #328 on: August 02, 2010, 05:46:30 PM »

Teen-Age Temptations 003 (1953) (St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Thanks to JVJ for letting us scan his fantastic collection and to Twobyfour for the raws, it is such a treat to read these comics!  All the stories deal with the choices teen-age girls make on the cusp of adulthood, usually between two men.  The first story with Mort Drucker art, "I Wanted Life Long Thrills," involves a girl going steady with a pilot who's away for long periods of time.  Enter an old beau who had left town without so much as a word.  They begin to fool around, cue the emotional rollercoaster.  An interesting ending, perhaps opposite of a typical resolution.  The second story, "The Kisses I Couldn't Forget," features some nice art from Ric Estrada and involves a crafty girl with the key to making men interested, learning their hobbies!  She works with a boy she's interested in on a new machine, but he's more interested in the machine than the girl, so she turns to some darkroom fun developing into a love triangle.  But the photographer's not getting played, he's the one doing the playing!  Thirdly, the gem of the bunch,  with story attributed to Dutch Dana by John Benson with art from Matt Baker, a somewhat scandalous ditty, I suppose, in which a girl lies about her age to marry her long-time beau who's headed for the service.  They marry and spend a night together, but the girl instantly confesses to her mother and the marriage is annulled. Her new reputation as a bad girl drives our heroine to lie about her age again, this time to enlist in the armed services and escape town.  A story of maturation and growth, I do have to agree that Dutch's stories really break the mold - I imagine teenage girls loved them.  And lastly, "To Young To Wed," in which a conniving lass behaves badly and is forgiven by her adoring man, you have to wonder where they found all these pushovers.  Great fun!  Again, thanks to JVJ for sharing these fine St. John romances with us.

At the FTP

or

http://www.mediafire.com/?gvzuaj45s6jq4gm
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #329 on: August 02, 2010, 05:51:52 PM »

Teen-Age Temptations 003 (1953) (St. John) (JVJ-Two-Dar)

Thank you sir! It is now live on the download site!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2010, 03:00:22 AM »

Spirit Section 120 (1942-09-13.Chicago Sun) (Darwin)

At the ftp and available here
http://www.mediafire.com/?2je41gs41btqfi9

And, not a comic, so not at FTP, but I thought Baker fans might appreciate a peek.

RAGE v01n02 (1957-02.Arnold)

The second issue of this Everett Arnold-published sweat magazine.  Featuring two Matt Baker splashes.  Also featuring an article written by Elvis in defense of rock and roll (I can see Elvis reading this stripe of magazine) as well as articles on Blaze Starr, a one-legged mountain climber, Is a Woman Making You Impotent? and more.  It's interesting to see Baker work in this different medium.

scan available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?pnkxfcp988uxz2u

You can get the first issue, which has no Baker art though it does provide a context for the Elvis article, here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?yzjymnl1tti

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #331 on: August 17, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

Thanks for the look at some of Matt Baker's wash work.   

Some of those sweat mag covers are a real hoot!

Joe M
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #332 on: August 18, 2010, 02:59:56 AM »

Spirit Section 120 (1942-09-13.Chicago Sun) (Darwin) is now live on the download site.

Thank you Darwination!!!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #333 on: August 18, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »

Thanks for the look at some of Matt Baker's wash work.   

Some of those sweat mag covers are a real hoot!

Joe M

Glad you enjoyed it, Joe.  I've got 6 of the first 7 issues of Rage, and I think maybe all but issue one have Baker art.  I'm not sure how many issues there were, but even seven is more than most suspect.  I'll be scanning the issues I have in order, and hopefully I can locate the issue I need in the meantime (tho I'm not counting on it).  Arnold's venture into sweat mags included at least one other title, Courage, which lasted 3 issues.  Vintage magazine scanner McCoy has scanned the first issue, and I might as well put it up here (thanks McCoy!) since we are talking about it.  8)  I'm not sure if he has any of the other issues, but I hope so.  If anybody knows of any other magazines Arnold was putting out at the time, please do let me know...

get it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?mojd4zzdyoi

The 2 Baker splashes from the issue

Also, another entry for the Spirit project  :)

Spirit Section 207 (1944-05-14.Chicago Sun) (Darwin)

at the ftp or available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?3p0a3l2hx56tmu2
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:18:05 AM by darwination »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #334 on: August 18, 2010, 03:10:49 AM »

Spirit Section 207 (1944-05-14.Chicago Sun) (Darwin) is now live on the download site!!!

Thank you Darwination!!!!  :D
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #335 on: August 19, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »

Darwination, I don't know which to thank you for more, the Spirit Sections or the Baker pulp work. WoWoWow!   :o
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »

Kitty 001 (St. John) (Oct 1948)

The sole issue of this teen comic.  With cover and lead story art and dolls from Lily Renee.  Thanks to JVJ for sending out his comics to us scanners and to Twoby for the raws.

At the ftp or available here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?f6t1zcccejsl8ly
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:12 AM »

Kitty 001 (St. John) (Oct 1948)

This file is now live on the download site.

Thank you!  ;D ;D ;D

Postscript....sometimes I can't spell to save my life.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 03:22:40 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
Re: Darwination's Uploads - Kitty #1
« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 AM »

You DO make my comics look good, Darwination.
WOW!

You're welcome.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #339 on: September 10, 2010, 01:39:17 AM »

A comic I never heard of or saw before. Not many of those left.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #340 on: September 10, 2010, 02:27:23 AM »

Postscript....sometimes I can't spell to save my life.  ;D ;D ;D

I can spell fairly well but have never learned how to type decently and am an all thumbs sort of typer so I make tons of typos and if I didn't go back carefully over everything I type to make corrections I'm sure my emails, posts etc... would look horrendous.

As it is I sometimes later look at stuff I typed previously, when I was tired, and cringe at how badly worded some things are.

Joe M
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #341 on: September 10, 2010, 06:23:06 AM »

I just turn on auto spell check in Firefox, Jose,
and whenever I misspell a word, it gets underlined in RED and I right click the word and it gives me options on the correct spelling. I HATE misspellings and there is really not much excuse for them except not caring. Which I find hard to understand, especially with the obvious levels of education of most folks here. Laziness in grammar and spelling is one of my pet peeves.

ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #342 on: September 10, 2010, 03:48:27 PM »

Auto spell only catches some "misspellings".  If I'm real tired when I'm typing I can easily screw up words like "they're", "their" and "there" or "do" and "due" or "are" and "our" even though I know perfectly well how to use each one of them. 
Auto spell won't catch those sorts of things since they are actually spelled correctly so I always try to go over anything I've typed before posting to catch those sort of boo-boos.  Of course if I'm too tired I don't always catch everything every time but I try.
Auto spell does help me spot those 'all thumbs" sorts of mistakes I do so often where I bump the wrong key(s) or where my brain and fingers get out of sync and I invert letters within a word.   A wonderful tool.

Best,   Joe
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #343 on: September 10, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »

Granted it won't correct your grammar or flag misuses for you, Jose, but it will at least indicate bad spelling. Take what you can get and use it.

Auto spell only catches some "misspellings".  If I'm real tired when I'm typing I can easily screw up words like "they're", "their" and "there" or "do" and "due" or "are" and "our" even though I know perfectly well how to use each one of them. 
Auto spell won't catch those sorts of things since they are actually spelled correctly so I always try to go over anything I've typed before posting to catch those sort of boo-boos.  Of course if I'm too tired I don't always catch everything every time but I try.
Auto spell does help me spot those 'all thumbs" sorts of mistakes I do so often where I bump the wrong key(s) or where my brain and fingers get out of sync and I invert letters within a word.   A wonderful tool.

Best,   Joe
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #344 on: September 10, 2010, 10:44:17 PM »

As it is I sometimes later look at stuff I typed previously, when I was tired, and cringe at how badly worded some things are.

Joe M

There is a "modify" button on your posts.  If mistakes really bother you when you're reading, you can go in and edit.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #345 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »

Joe M

There is a "modify" button on your posts.  If mistakes really bother you when you're reading, you can go in and edit.

Jon,

Thanks for pointing this out to me. 

I'm already taking advantage of it.

Best,    Joe

ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #346 on: September 19, 2010, 07:55:21 AM »

Pictorial Confessions 001 (1949.Canadian Edition)

The first issue of the St. John romance title scanned from JVJ's collection by Twobyfour with edits from yours truly.  A fun romance comic here with much Matt Baker art.  The cover reminds me of my grandad's oft-repeated line - "I never laid a hand on the broad".

The comic kicks off with "I Threw Away My Reputation on a Worthless Love" which opens with the scene that inspired the cover (the cover came second right?) in which pops catches his daughter necking with the town scamp.  Some of these girls always seem to fall for these bad actors, and this guy is a real jerk.  An opportune moment for an art sample:

Blondie is thick-headed, though, and she takes him back again and again.  Will she ever learn??  ::)

Next up is "My Double Life Caught Up with Me" wherein Jane accepts a ride from an older man in the "scandal set" after her bike blows a tire.  She takes an interest in this gent who has flunked out of school and returned home to freeload off his parents but quickly notices that her friends from school are castigating her for her involvement with this rich social set. Will the wolf feast upon the lamb? An interesting resolution...

The third story is " I Talked Myself into Love Troubles".  The splash:

The story opens as the protagonist Kathy is ready to get into a catfight over her new beau.  She's only known the guy for a couple dates, so what's she's really upset about is the fact that, though she gets a lot of interest, every fella she sees runs off after a few dates.  You pick up quick on the reason why as she mistakenly throws herself at the next boy she meets, desperately hoping to snag a man through sex appeal.  She considers her reputation not until after he fails to call and worries that his gossipy sister put the word out.  Can love find a way?!?  I really like this one.

Last up is "Two-Timing Taught Me to Love," another one of these Dana Dutch stories of a girl ready to explore the world of older men and dancing and necking.  Not to mention willing to steal such an older man from her little sister.  The web of deceit grows wider as the protagonist lies to parents, more men, and her high school boyfriend who she is two and three and four timing.  What will happen when the weight of this tangled web comes crashing down? Ah, the drama of young love...

The issue is available at the ftp and here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zk7dcgzllerl12v

Twobyfour
has scanned the next two issues, and I will get to the edits as I am able.  Again, big thanks to JVJ for giving us access to his comics, as I'm loving working on all of these great St. John titles.  :D

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #347 on: September 19, 2010, 07:01:01 PM »

Pictorial Confessions 001 (1949.Canadian Edition)

This is now live on the download site!

Thank you very much sir!!!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

darwination

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #348 on: October 01, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »

Pictorial Confessions 002 (1949.St. John) (JVJ-2x-Dar)

Thanks to JVJ for the paper and Twobyfour for the raws.

Available at the ftp or here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ip9z3atpl64d0qg#2
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #349 on: October 01, 2010, 04:42:41 PM »

Pictorial Confessions 002 (1949.St. John) (JVJ-2x-Dar)

::cough::  :o my, she is a beauty...the book is now live on the download site.

Thank you!!!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.