in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Public Domain EC Comics-style?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Public Domain EC Comics-style?  (Read 7356 times)

Lanfeust

message icon
Public Domain EC Comics-style?
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »

Hi!

I'm currently looking for comics to help me fill the pages of my upcoming fanzine - in case I couldn't find other pencillers anywhere. I guess I'm right when saying I may publish PD comics in a fanzine without having troubles, ain't I? Well, anyway, my request is still a personal one.

I like EC Comics stories - the Tales From The Crypt series - and discovered also softer series in the same style from DC Comics - you may have heard of Unexpected, House of Secrets, House of Mysteries and Ghosts (those stories were used as fillers for pocket comics from publisher Ar
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
Re: Public Domain EC Comics-style?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:07:37 PM »

I'm hardly an expert (while there are those here who ARE experts), but generally speaking, if the publisher is still in business, don't attempt it.

DC and Marvel, while some obscure stuff of theirs may be out of copyright, most of it is jealously guarded. I'd venture to guess that most EC stuff is still protected, although if someone knows otherwise, please correct me.

ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:08:55 AM »

I guess you didn't understand my request. I thought it was clear enough, though.

EC Comics case had been debated here quite a few times, and they're not public domain. As far as Marvel or DC stuff are concerned, I wouldn't even mention them - I wouldn't dare take such a risk. I'm aware of the issues consecutive to that - Organic Comix had tried to publish an episode from the Fly, but there's a juridical issue between Archie Comics and Kirby Estates concerning the character. A big bad mess, should I say.

I'm looking for series or stories that fit the same genre as EC's Tales From The Crypt or DC's Unexpected, but in PUBLIC DOMAIN ONLY. I know there's a few comics from Fawcett, so I'd like to know about others from other publishers - preferably out of business.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:34:36 PM »

Hi Lan,
Just about every publisher had his own horror title.  Often more than one.
I'd suggest just checking under each publisher and looking for any obvious sounding names.

ie
Ace - Baffling Mysteries, Beyond, Hand of Fate, Web of Mystery
Ajax-Farrell - Strange Fantasy, Voodoo
Avon Comics - Eerie, Witchcraft
American Comics Group/ACG - Adventures into the Unknown (predates EC as first horror comic), The Clutching Hand, Out of the Night, Skeleton Hand
Better/Nedor - Adventures into Darkness, Unseen

I'm sure you'll find many many more on your own. 
But NOTE - some precode horror comics got especially gory over time as the field became glutted with more and more books all competing for the same dime.  Even EC would falter and publish a few stories that crossed the line late in their history.  So I'd strongly suggest checking each story you consider closely before using them.

Good luck with the project.
ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 03:53:21 PM »

Now I know where to look. With those 14 titles you gave me, my task is way easier - I didn't know where to start as I hadn't downloaded anything here for quite a long time and GA is still kinda new to me outside superheroes... and Tales From The Crypt, of course. I discovered French version 10 years ago when Albin Michel published it in albums, and always wanted to see myself what comics there were that led to CCA.

I'll check those comics and see if they can be useful to me. And if I intend to use scans, I'll ask scanners for their permission before, of course - I still don't know if I'm gonna use them, it'll depend on how many pages need to be filled.

Thank you very much, Yoc!

:D
ip icon Logged

TimeMaster

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: TimeMaster
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 09:19:58 AM »

I think I know what you are looking for. Here are some good leads.

DEMON OF DESTRUCTION in FORBIDDEN WORLDS #1 is an Al Williamson gem.
It is very much like an EC story--after all Williamson was an EC artist.

In STRANGE WORLDS #3 there is nice work by WALLACE WOOD and another story by AL WILLIAMSON (It appears that FRANK FRAZETTA may have helped on that one).

In many issues of PLANET COMICS you will find EC artists such as George Evans and other EC artists as well.
PLANET COMICS #55 and 58 contain excellent George Evans art on LOST WORLD episodes.  PLANET COMICS #64 has another excellent Evans LOST WORLD tale. These are stories that take you to realistic science/fantasy worlds. The kind of stories for reading on rainy summer afternoons.
Art-wise these Evans illustrated stories are equal to the best EC WEIRD SCIENCE/FANTASY adventures.

Then there are the EC type horror titles from HARVEY such as CHAMBER OF CHILLS and WITCHES TALES.

CHAMBER OF CHILLS #6 has an opening story titled JELLY DEATH  This is one of the finest comic-book horror tales ever. It's like a 50s mad-science horror movie. As good as any from EC. 
CHAMBER OF CHILLS #19 is another book you will want to see.

Do not miss WITCHES TALES also published by HARVEY.
There are stories in some issues illustrated by Howard Nostrand who does
an excellent Jack Davis imitation. WT #24 contains a good example of this.
It's almost as if EC had died and risen from the grave as HARVEY horror.   
There are even humor/horror stories in the vein of MAD.
In WITCHES TALES # 24 "MUTINY ON THE BOUNDARY" is as MAD as you can get! It is really funny! Other issues of WITCHES TALES contain more humor/horror. There are also several single page features--perfect for reprint needs.

And be sure to check out some of the later BUSTER BROWN comics for more excellent work by actual EC artists--a real surprise.

I hope that this message helps you in your search for EC type material.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 12:08:39 PM by TimeMaster »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 01:00:31 AM »

Very nice list TM!
ip icon Logged

Lanfeust

message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Great! Thank you very much!

I began downloading and reading the list Yoc gave me and though these comics are well done, I didn't find particular differences with DC's Ghosts or House of Secrets/Mystery. I haven't checked them all yet though - and won't be done for a while with the second list. ;)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.