in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Paw's profferings

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

topic icon Author Topic: Paw's profferings  (Read 163612 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Paw's profferings
« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

That is better.  Good work.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:52 PM »

3 more Silent Three stories but I don't have dates for them, so I suppose, 1950's.  Scanned from cuttings and old photocopies.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »

2 more issues of Casiano Barullo.  Hope you enjoy them.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:11 PM »

Another issue of Cassiano Barullo - #16.  Some new Portuguese language titles incl. Fawcett reprints from Brazil and a new superhero, to me anyway, Raio Negro.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #129 on: February 18, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »

More French Canadian pulps courtesy of Jean Layette's excellent blog, Le Blogue de l'agent IXE-13.  Check them out in the Non-English Books section. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #130 on: February 18, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »

And now, for your delectation and delight - 2 issues of the French Canadian pulp, Domino Noir.  With thanks to Jean Layette and his excellent blog:-
http://quebec-detective.blogspot.ca/
(downloading them to my tablet to enjoy later.)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #131 on: February 18, 2013, 04:43:05 PM »

Issues 1 & 2 of Aventures de Cow-Boys.  With thanks to Jean Layette.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #132 on: February 18, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »

Thanks for the Quebec pulps. Giving these a quick look, I'm surprised by the simple French--I can almost understand them, with my limited ability in French.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #133 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:16 PM »

Yes, jimmm, it seems relatively easy to understand.  The Domino Noir books have nice descriptions of the hero slinking along in the darkness, almost invisibly, face covered by his black mask.  Great stuff.
There almost seems more text in the issue of Hardi that we have on site.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28813
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2013, 04:23:46 PM »

Holy mascarpone, am I slow at scanning!!!  An issue of The Ranger from 1931 which has a great Black Whip cover and a couple of interior color illos.  Tried to clean it up as best I could but it's still a bit of a mess.  Didn't help that the thing was falling to bits.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #135 on: February 25, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »

Nice thing about comics that are falling to bits you do not have to worry about hurting their value
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #136 on: February 25, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »

Hello Paw Sir!

Love the Black Whip..............That is two adventures now.....anymore of the Great Black Whip? Now I seem to remember a chap or two with wings, being at work I cannot say for certain where I saw these two other than I know they were from the UK. Any Idea whom I am speaking thereof? You have done such a great service here Mr Broon! I tip my top hat to you sir!

RB @ Work.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 08:56:17 PM by mr_goldenage »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #137 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »

Actually, there are a few winged heroes in British storypapers and libraries.  We've already talked about The Night Hawk here, somewhere, and Flying Justice made an appearance in the early part of the 20th century.  The Human Bat had a book all to himself and in the '50's (?) a bloke called Black Wing had a couple of stories. 
I think I might be on the trail of another episode of Black Whip - just need my pal to part with the paper for a few days.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »

An early Adventure, #754,  with The Red Hood on the cover and another Portuguese language landscape form Brazil.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2013, 08:36:58 PM »

An issue of the Rover from 1934 with a complete Black Sapper story and a great Black Sapper cover.
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=31103
Accompanying music for this was The Groundhogs givin' it absolute laldy.  Volume up as Linda's away out.
Have a listen to Cherry Red.  Warning: this should be played really LOUD.
I saw them support The Rolling Stones at Greens Playhouse in Glasgow, early '70's? - they were louder than The Stones.  What a great racket - and only 3 of them.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #140 on: March 05, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »

An edition of Le Petit Vingti
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

A bit late but the anticipation has been worth it for me.  Another Issue of The Ranger with a Black Whip story. From a very tatty copy so I hope it doesn't spoil the enjoyment.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2013, 05:42:30 PM »

An issue of Jet Fury by Larry Horak.  This is another strange format comic.  Landscape but opens like a calendar with the back page upright.  This example is also very poorly cut and pages are askew.  It seems to be Australian but there is no indicia and I have a slight suspicion that it might be a New Zealand copy.
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2437
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2013, 08:24:12 PM »

Great title I hope you find more
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2013, 09:12:01 PM »

Actually, mon ami, there is another Jet Fury in a bundle beside the desk so, as I said to Hoover, if I can cram another day into the week..................
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #145 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:34 PM »

Just to satisfy narfstar, I moved up the next Jet Fury and #17 is now on site:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=31517
And you all thought Charlton production standards were poor, well take a look at this.  And that's the best I can do with it.
See us folk that chase after obscure superheroes?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2013, 10:27:20 PM »

Many thanks Paw I love me some obscure Superheroes
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2013, 06:33:56 PM »

Just uploaded - Char Chapman #2 and Grey Domino #51, an upright format this time.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2013, 09:19:21 PM »

More great stuff Paw. You and Joe have come up with some really great non-US stuff. This is what I mostly download now.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #149 on: March 10, 2013, 03:03:56 PM »

I think I forgot to mention that there is another issue of Captain Havoc and the Phantom Knight available:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=31522
But I read the comments of Superman and Ozman (thanks Ozman for pointing out that it is an Aus comic, this version being printed in N.Z.) and I noticed the remark that so many British comics were so amateurish.  Now this is interesting and there is no arguing that there is a lot of poor quality art in British comics but there is so much that is good and, in many cases quite excellent.  A lot of it we can't host on CB+ but there are already examples of Ron Turner, Jim Holdaway, Harry Banger, George Heath, Bill Lacey (a particular favourite of mine - particularly on Blackshirt)  and much more.  Perhaps I might suggest a closer look at the UK/Aus section. As a start, read this copy of Express Weekly:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28516
And then this:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26644
while bearing in mind that this standard was kept up in umpteen different titles every week.
Most countries have many examples of poor or amateurish artwork in their comics.
Just a thought and I'd be interested in any comments.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 37

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.