in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

From beyond the horizon

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: From beyond the horizon  (Read 3437 times)

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
From beyond the horizon
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:07:29 PM »

Hello!

You already know the name, I'm Florian R. Guillon from France. I've been active on the Free Universe forums, and also on the Digital Comic's and this one. There I was once known as Lanfeust, famous French comic character, but I don't use this username anymore. (by the way, I don't know why I couldn't access the old board anymore - banned for spamming, as it seemed, but I don't understand)

Anyway, what you need to know about me is that I'm an aspiring comic artist who makes comics about wizardry, magic and that stuff. I'm also part of an upcoming webcomic called Esprit Vengeur, first as the writer, and then as the first chapter's artist. This webcomic features Thorr, Red Ann and Green Claw (as well as original characters). I will tell you all about it if you want.

I'm also a Golden Age lover, and I like to translate good ol' comics (I had a great time doing John Carter). I published most of my translations online, and publish other comics in my fanzine. My GA favourites are Mr Scarlet, Phantom Lady (Matt Baker!), Black Terror, and I like Slave Girl Comics also. I've been collecting French reprints of GA comics such as the Golden Comics anthologies (horror, good girls, science-fiction and ghosts - the publisher went bankrupt so the remaining three won't be released), Golden Titans (featuring Mr Scarlet, Black Terror, Phantom Lady, Miss Masque and The Flame), and the Golden Legends albums (Dracula and Crom). I also collect the Project Superpowers TPBs (they're hard to find) and still strive to get my hand on Next Issue Project's comics - only have Fantastic Comics.

OK, so I'm back, and I have to say that the website is really beautiful as it is now! And the new section with non-English comics is really wonderful! I don't know what will come next, but I'm sure keeping an eye on it!

Now, I'll continue my visit. See you very fast! :)
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: From beyond the horizon
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 12:24:46 AM »

Welcome back Florian.  Feel free to update us on your webcomic work.  It's always encouraging to see new artist's work that is inspired by the Golden Age greats.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 11:11:12 AM »

Glad you returned Florian. Don't know why you could not log on as your old self but the new/old you is welcome and so are your site updates
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »

Thank you! :)

I sent a message to Paw about my old account, and I don't have any answer yet. Anyway, I won't be using two accounts, so even if I find my logs again, I'll go on with the new one.

I will keep you updated on my comic works, which are now focused mostly on original characters.

-My own comic-book Dark Fates is the place for magic and mystery, but I intend to use The Claw, Green Lama, Fantom of the Fair and Stardust in an unseen way. It won't be superheroic at all, more like David Lynch meets Groosham Grange meets George Romero meets Mamoru Oshii. ;) It's about a young sorcerer-to-be in his late teens growing up in a world that becomes unstable in every way.

-The webcomic Esprit Vengeur features a roster of characters selected to fit for the Avengers movie. Fact is, I chose the characters that were closer to the movie's, but the story and characterization is way different. The story is a nod to the Silver Age and is not related with the Avengers movie (I wrote it just before the movie was out in France) despite the title and the choice of characters. It's more about what makes a hero, corruption of the mind and temptation by vengeance. The characters involved (and linked to the Golden Age) are Red Ann, Thorr, Sentinel and Green Claw. The others are Midnight, Smasher and Cyber-Shield.

-A mini-comic is also on the works. It's called Die Letzte, and it's about an amnesiac jungle girl. It's about survival, nature and nurture.

I have pictures I can upload. But I could give you something more interesting - my French translations of some comics that are available on the website. If it seems likely to have them uploaded as well, I'll give them. :)
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:04:04 PM »

That sounds interesting. Should we have these placed in https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1514 ? Probably categorized as "Translated" or something?

Thoughts?

Thank you! :)
...I could give you something more interesting - my French translations of some comics that are available on the website. If it seems likely to have them uploaded as well, I'll give them. :)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:55:31 PM »

"I sent a message to Paw about my old account, and I don't have any answer yet."  Florian

I've been on holiday and being a luddite, have no mobile devices.  I've not been in touch with anyone.  Glad you're up and running here.  You have a very interesting set of likes, so can I interest you in some non-American masked mystery men? 
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 10:24:32 AM »

Can't believe it's been 6 years already!  :o

I didn't upload anything on this site yet, because I don't really know how and I didn't translate my own works.

Anyways, I've got some news:

-Esprit Vengeur (which can be translated as Vengeful Mind or Avenging Spirit) is done. The first 20-page story is online and can be read here: http://www.amilova.com/fr/BD-manga/982/esprit-vengeur.html Again, it's from 2012 and my art improved since then - and I must remind everyone that this is the work of five artists. New stories are on the works, the first one featuring Red Ann and Black Terror, so I guess some of you might be interested. ;)

-I translated some Black Terror into French for Arcadia Graphic Studio - the origin story and Robinson-Meskin's whole run. I did Ghost Woman too, even incorporated the character into my own comic universe.

-I intend to translate my works and my collaborators' into English, but as I have many other projects, it can take long.

-Still doing my Forgotten Generation fanzine. Volume 1 (four issues from 0 to 3) ended in 2013, with its digest size and its hand-drawn logo. Volume 2 is still going on and its fourth issue will be out this spring. A great mix of French superheroes, SF antiheroes and wizards and American GA comics. My side is Dark Fates, as always, and yes, it's got really dark.

So, if you want some of them uploaded here, tell me and I'll work it out. :)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.