in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Problem viewing newer comics with the CDisplay

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Problem viewing newer comics with the CDisplay  (Read 19725 times)

TimeMaster

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: TimeMaster
message icon
Problem viewing newer comics with the CDisplay
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:29:38 AM »

I have noticed that I am unable to  view material which was uploaded to your site on or after March 2008. I use CDispaly which works fine on comics uploaded before  2008.  What do you think my problem may be? 
I can download the comics but when I use CDispaly to "Load Files" I get a gray screen and nothing more.

I had no problem downloading the newly added Buster Brown comics (March 2008  is the date for most of these) but I was unable to open them using the CDisplay . I also recently downloaded "Captain Science 001 (Youthful Magazines)" but I was unable to open and read it using CDispaly. Captain Science is another comic uploaded to your site on March 2008.
ip icon Logged

citaltras

• VIP
message icon
Re: Problem viewing newer comics with the CDisplay
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:05:34 AM »

I have noticed that I am unable to  view material which was uploaded to your site on or after March 2008. I use CDispaly which works fine on comics uploaded before  2008.  What do you think my problem may be? 
I can download the comics but when I use CDispaly to "Load Files" I get a gray screen and nothing more.

I had no problem downloading the newly added Buster Brown comics (March 2008  is the date for most of these) but I was unable to open them using the CDisplay . I also recently downloaded "Captain Science 001 (Youthful Magazines)" but I was unable to open and read it using CDispaly. Captain Science is another comic uploaded to your site on March 2008.

I can open  Captain Science perfectly with CDisplay. It is actually a zip archive.
Try to rename it to .cbz instead of .cbr

If don't work, try to unzip the file and zip again.
I can also open the Buster Brown. I have tried with Buster Brown 017 without problems. It is a rar file.

It may also be that your downloads are not complete. 
When you find problems with a cbr or cbz file, try to rename the file to .zip or .rar, then unpack
and pack again.

ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »

Nothing has changed on our end so all the files should open, l would check the file sizes to make sure they are actually complete downloads. From your downloading l can see you are using a download manager, if you make more than one connection when downloading a file the download will likely fail. Either set the program to only make one connection/download at a time or download manually, the site does not support multiple connections from each user downloading.
ip icon Logged

TimeMaster

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 12:52:02 AM »

I just tried downloading Buster Brown 17. This time I downloaded it to "My Documents" It still will not display on CDisplay.

Usually I download your comics to my desktop. It takes about 1 hour for a single comic-book to download.  Then I check to see if they will open with CDispay. If they are OK I store them into a folders titled SCIENCE FICTION or HORROR COMICS or GOLDEN AGE HEROES etc. 

You said that I was using a download manager. I use whatever it is that my browser Firefox supplies for downloading. I do not understand computers.

I feel like an idiot to say this to you guys but I don't even know what a "download manager" is. I'd be glad to download these books manually as suggested but I have no idea what it is to download manually.  How do I go about downloading manually?

All I know is when I want to download one of your comics I right click on the word download and this brings up the option of either downloading the comic to "open with" CDisplay or the other option of "save to disc". 

Either way I go--the end result is that CDispaly will not open SOME of the comics on your site.

On MANY OTHERS of your comics I have no problems at all.

I'm a longtime comics fan and I have been since the very beginnings of the Silver Age. I was in elementary school when Challengers of the Unknown first appeared in Showcase. Ive been completely hooked on comic books my entire life. Your site is the best thing I have ever seen. 

Unfortunately I don't understand computers. I'd be very glad to buy discs of the comics on your site if anyone is selling discs for a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll just content myself with the comics that I can download from your site. I really wanted to read those Buster Brown Comics and that Captain Science #1 and several other books but this is not to be.

I'll make a donation to your site soon but I'm sure that this will not help me download some the comics on your site.  I sure hope that you guys don't upgrade anything else before I have a chance to download the old versions.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 01:05:00 AM by TimeMaster »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 03:45:37 AM »

I just tried downloading Buster Brown 17. This time I downloaded it to "My Documents" It still will not display on CDisplay.

Download both Filzip and IZArc and use one or the other for the files that you cannot open via that ghastly CDisplay.

The files open for me and they will open for you, but realize that CDisplay is not monolithic to opening every file.

B.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:45 PM »

Usually I download your comics to my desktop. It takes about 1 hour for a single comic-book to download.  Then I check to see if they will open with CDispay. If they are OK I store them into a folders titled SCIENCE FICTION or HORROR COMICS or GOLDEN AGE HEROES etc. 

You said that I was using a download manager. I use whatever it is that my browser Firefox supplies for downloading. I do not understand computers.

I feel like an idiot to say this to you guys but I don't even know what a "download manager" is. I'd be glad to download these books manually as suggested but I have no idea what it is to download manually.  How do I go about downloading manually?

All I know is when I want to download one of your comics I right click on the word download and this brings up the option of either downloading the comic to "open with" CDisplay or the other option of "save to disc". 

Either way I go--the end result is that CDispaly will not open SOME of the comics on your site.

On MANY OTHERS of your comics I have no problems at all.

I'm a longtime comics fan and I have been since the very beginnings of the Silver Age. I was in elementary school when Challengers of the Unknown first appeared in Showcase. Ive been completely hooked on comic books my entire life. Your site is the best thing I have ever seen. 

Unfortunately I don't understand computers. I'd be very glad to buy discs of the comics on your site if anyone is selling discs for a reasonable price. Otherwise I'll just content myself with the comics that I can download from your site. I really wanted to read those Buster Brown Comics and that Captain Science #1 and several other books but this is not to be.

I'll make a donation to your site soon but I'm sure that this will not help me download some the comics on your site.  I sure hope that you guys don't upgrade anything else before I have a chance to download the old versions.

CDisplay opens all comics on the site, it will not open incomplete downloads, l will ask again did you check the file sizes to make sure your downloads are actually complete. l also use firefox and it had never made multiple connections to download a comic so you must be doing something wrong somewhere. No matter what method you use you would choose to save the comic to a folder on your PC, preferably not the desktop and you would only download one file at a time. From looking at the download logs l would say your last 6 downloads would be OK but the Out Of this World 001 made 3 connections within a minute and could have failed to download completely. The Buster Brown 17 you speak of also made multiple connections although it looks like the first might have failed and you tried again, the second time has 2 connections 10 minutes apart. Considering you seem to have a very slow connection you should not be downloading anything else at the same time, since it could cause your connection to drop out. l am sorry we do not sell discs
ip icon Logged

TimeMaster

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 02:17:24 PM »

I was finally able to get nearly everything to open.  Now when I  download a "cbr" file which will not open I change the "cbr" to "cbz".

I had to make an adjustment on my own computer before I was able to do this. I hope that this method continues to work.

You folks helped me very much in this. Thank you.

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.