in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looking for late 50's-early 60's SF comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looking for late 50's-early 60's SF comic  (Read 2790 times)

jbacardi

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jbacardi
message icon
Looking for late 50's-early 60's SF comic
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:02:03 AM »

Hello, everyone-

I'm looking for a comic that has a story in it that I really liked as a kid in the early 60's, but I have no idea what it was called, in which comic it appeared, who published it, or even who wrote and/or drew it.

All I remember is that it was a Science Fiction-type story about a man named Talos, who somehow became ruler of the world. There was, of course, a woman involved but I don't remember what role she played. The only other things I remember are that it was lettered in that A. Machine style, and a panel which showed radio towers broadcasting the news that "Talos is dead...".

Ring any bells?

There may have been another story in that same issue, a retelling of the Native American legend of the Niagara Falls "Lady of the Lake".

I'd love to know where it appeared, and read it again even more so!

Thanks!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Looking for late 50's-early 60's SF comic
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 12:23:16 AM »

I can not place it off hand but it is definetly a Charlton comic from the 60's
I think I may even have it.  If I find it I will let you know.
ip icon Logged

jbacardi

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »

I made a mistake- the other story is a retelling if the "Maid of the Mist" story, not "Lady of the Lake".
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 05:14:43 PM »

I don't know what the original version was called or where it appeared but Eerie Publications reworked it (with black and white art) as "Bloody Talus" in Witches Tales v3n5 in 1971 (also reprinted in other mags later and may have appeared earlier) with art by Torre Repiso.

As far as I know, Eerie Pub's stories were all reworks of pre-code material, which would mean the original appeared prior to 1955, but maybe they did some post-code stuff too (if it was Charlton, it could be something they purchased from another publisher when they bought up all that inventory in the late 50s). I haven't tracked down the original yet.
ip icon Logged

jbacardi

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 11:30:47 PM »

Thanks so much for the info! The version I saw was definitely in color, but this gives me something to go on. Of course, I wish I could find it available for download somewhere, but I'll take what I can get.
ip icon Logged

jbacardi

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 08:19:28 PM »

I THINK I HAVE FOUND THIS BOOK!

Mr. Door Tree, at his blog, posted the "Maid in the Mist" story that I remembered. It came from, he said, Avon Comics' STRANGE WORLDS #6, from 1952 (which meant I had the date wrong).

http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blogspot.com/2008/07/strange-worlds-6-jan1952-checks-1st.html

When I looked this issue up at the Grand Comics Database, I found out that among the handful of stories that appeared in this issue was one called "The Man Who Owned the Earth". No other information is available, but this HAS to be the same story! Now, given that I was born in 1960 and started reading comics when i was three or so, I have no idea what I was doing with this book. But, I believe that this is the one, and I just wanted to share this info with you guys.

Now. Anybody know where scans might be found?  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.