in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Beyond the Gold Key To The Skindom of Davis!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Beyond the Gold Key To The Skindom of Davis!  (Read 3064 times)

middlenamewayne

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: middlenamewayne
message icon
Beyond the Gold Key To The Skindom of Davis!
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »

'Kay? 'Kay? Anyone care to "back up" a bit and seek further rare treasure from within Jack D.'s pen? Simply reserve the right to reverse what's at left!

(Alright, I'll give it away: I know that the eclectic 1961 Western Pub comic Yak Yak by Jack Jack is beloved by many here. While the former was at Dell, however, one need only head for 1970 to climb the latter (Gold Key Comics) to pages 9-14 of The MODniks #2 ("skindom" backwards!) and enjoy a Davis 6-pager entitled "The Unkindest Cut of All" featuring underemployed actor No
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Beyond the Gold Key To The Skindom of Davis!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 01:24:49 PM »

mnw, I must confess that I've never seen a copy of either issue of The Modniks although I have seen it discussed on forums.  There is a lot speculation that the Noel Talent story was something Western had in inventory that had been laying around for years- possibly from around the time he did Yak Yak

It's highly unlikely that The Modniks would be acceptable here on the site as I doubt it is PD and this site only hosts PD comics.  We can check on Yak Yak to see what its copyright status is.  There are a few Western titles from that era that have issues that slipped through the cracks regarding copyright renewal.

Best

Joe

btw, you may want to check out the issues of Lucky Star going up shortly in the Nation-Wide section of our Small Press category.  They feature a good deal of Davis art in the earlier issues.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Beyond the Gold Key To The Skindom of Davis!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:49:36 AM »

They are SA and odd of course I have the Modniks. I think it is Random House that bought the GK rights. My guess is they would not claim them :) I heard they did not even have records of the stuff. I wish we could contact someone there that would give us rights to carry them. I have tried contacting Street and Smith and they do not respond
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.