in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Looking for Sexy Comic Villainesses

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Looking for Sexy Comic Villainesses  (Read 14437 times)

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
Looking for Sexy Comic Villainesses
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »

Hi

My name is Dimitri greetings to all from the gulf south.

Its been sheer delight reading all the wonderful golden age titles.

In addition to the reading and collecting, is an exciting project which I think you will find interesting and with luck, could become a book. The research subject will cover the most sexy, evil, villainesses of all time! You know the kind: sometimes spies or conquerors, dressed to kill, sometimes with long cigarette holders, etc. They flourished during the golden age more than ever.

Anyone wanting to contribute scans or leads to help locate specific issues is welcome.

We cover Golden Age, Silver Age, the present and distant future, any language, or publisher with these thrilling badgirls of yesteryear!

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Who do you think will be the sexiest comic book villainess of all time?

You can list your choices here along with whichever specific issues she appeared in.

Please send scans, suggestions or trade to:

rov1701a@aol.com
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Looking for Sexy Comic Villainesses
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

You might be bettered received by forum members if you were not spamming the boards.

I think that your project sounds interesting, but who here knows you or can vouch for you, so that members would even want to aid you -- after all, our only introduction to you thus far is spam.

B.
???
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:02:31 PM »

You might be bettered received by forum members if you were not spamming the boards.

I think that your project sounds interesting, but who here knows you or can vouch for you, so that members would even want to aid you -- after all, our only introduction to you thus far is spam.

B.
???

Sorry that you think my post is spam because its definitely not meant to be.

I posted onto two open forums a message that I thought might benefit the members  I admit I'm just a newbie here, but I honestly knew of no other way to get my message out. My humble apologies. I'm open to suggestions as what more prudent options might be.

As for getting to know me, any member is welcome to PM me and get acquainted I've collected comics since the early 60s. Happy to help or share any way I can this growing database. Thanks for your reply
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:49:43 PM »

I think the problem is that one post wouldn't be spam, but several consecutive posts, all of which boil down to, "let's you save me some time.  Also, help me make money"...well, it sounds pretty suspicious.

No web site to show current progress (or even that it's a real project), no track record in the community, and nobody (as Boox pointed out) vouching for you, but plenty of "gimme."  That's not to say that you're not a real person looking to be involved, here, but it does resemble the "drive-by" types who ask for help on a project, then vanish into the ether once they got free help.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »

ROV08 please do not cross post the same request in multiple areas of the forum, apart from that bad start l see nothing wrong with your request, l am sure you never meant any harm and being new probably had no idea what a storm your request would produce. l am sure some of our members could probably help you out with a few suggestions, especially after some of them calm down.

ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 10:44:09 PM »

ROV08 please do not cross post the same request in multiple areas of the forum, apart from that bad start l see nothing wrong with your request, l am sure you never meant any harm and being new probably had no idea what a storm your request would produce. l am sure some of our members could probably help you out with a few suggestions, especially after some of them calm down.

Thanks for that response. You're totally right, I had no idea about crossposting and any problems it might cause.  I really apologize for any misunderstandings I'm very new to this format and unfamiliar with many things about it. I'm a researcher and artist and obviously I have not posted on the internet very much at all. So if the senior members will excuse this humbled newbie as he gets his feet wet here, I'll try to learn the ropes.

I'd very much appreciate suggestions from anyone who wants to help me to do it better

thanks for your patience
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 11:15:47 PM »

I think the problem is that one post wouldn't be spam, but several consecutive posts, all of which boil down to, "let's you save me some time.  Also, help me make money"...well, it sounds pretty suspicious.

No web site to show current progress (or even that it's a real project), no track record in the community, and nobody (as Boox pointed out) vouching for you, but plenty of "gimme."  That's not to say that you're not a real person looking to be involved, here, but it does resemble the "drive-by" types who ask for help on a project, then vanish into the ether once they got free help.

Sorry about that aspect of crossposting, I really did not know, since Ive posted very few times on the internet. Looking back on the post, I can see how you and others might take it as spam.

As for money, theres really none involved here. I ask for none and theres no profit involved. To anyone who contributes I offer in exchange helpful information on when and where the charachters appeared in the comic as well as sending them any scans of any villainesses that I have compiled.

As this database grows, it should interest the folks at the Grand Comics Database. I'm happy to share with them as well. Depending  on the success of the project will determine whether it becomes a book or not, if it does, all contributors will receive credit for assistance.

As for having heard of me or having a webpage, no, I'm very new to all this including websites and all that. I'm hoping that I can establish myself here honorably after a few members get in touch and verify I'm for real.

Anyone wanting to PM me I will give either my address or my home phone number. If they call me at home, it might convince them I'm for real and not a bad guy.

Thanks for your patience and helpful suggestions

Dimitri
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 03:44:11 AM »

Dang if that doesn't sound like a green downright true comic appreciator to me.
In my novice travels on the internet I have discovered a number of fellow novices who really lack any degree of finesse in the operation of cyberhood.
This gentlemen seems to fit that bill to me as a fellow greenhorn.

It brings to mind the expression of 'Like a deer staring into the headlights' to define many raw cyber travelers in comparison to the more experienced and knowledgable.
Personally I wish I were more experienced in puterhood but I don't let it stop me from spreading my wings are trying to fly.

Just a bit more data from dimitri will hopefully help clarify him as a fellow comic fan with no self profit motrivation involved in his proceedings.

is there a spelling check in the options here?
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »

First suggestion would have to be Valkyre in Air Fighters and Airboy from Hillman
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 05:30:53 AM »

First suggestion would have to be Valkyre in Air Fighters and Airboy from Hillman

To go with Narf's suggestion, I would also google "golden age villianesses" -- a lot of references will come up in the results.

B.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 07:33:38 AM »

Will Eisner's Spirit almost cornered the market for sexy villainesses back in the 40's, no wonder the poor guy always looked so tired out !!! ;D

-Nigel
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 02:54:06 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 07:02:03 PM »

Dang if that doesn't sound like a green downright true comic appreciator to me.
In my novice travels on the internet I have discovered a number of fellow novices who really lack any degree of finesse in the operation of cyberhood.
This gentlemen seems to fit that bill to me as a fellow greenhorn.

It brings to mind the expression of 'Like a deer staring into the headlights' to define many raw cyber travelers in comparison to the more experienced and knowledgable.
Personally I wish I were more experienced in puterhood but I don't let it stop me from spreading my wings are trying to fly.

Just a bit more data from dimitri will hopefully help clarify him as a fellow comic fan with no self profit motrivation involved in his proceedings.

is there a spelling check in the options here?

Thanks Rez

Its been an interesting experience.

Comics have been an integral part of my life since the very first ones I got ahold of shortly after I first learned to read. This was circa '61 '62 in New Orleans. Vague memories of those books: some version of Kirby's Fin Fang Foom and a (Ditko rendered?) short story called "Lighthouse to Nowhere" I was hooked! the money for my newfound habit was not easily acquired so one of my methods was to locate old soda bottles (we call them soft drinks here) and  turn them in to a local mom and pop grocery for the deposit. I was 7.

Soon I began trading with other kids and then to barber shops around the neighborhood. This was a time when you could go to that corner grocery and request the "comics stack" these were taken from under the counter and you would look thru them as quickly as you could. Many of these books had half the cover ripped off and were sold for 5 cents instead of the standard 12 cents.

I recall reading Kirby Fantastic Four no 1, The early Heck Iron Man fighting Jack Frost, Ditko Spider-Man first meeting Sandman. Legion of Super heroes and the sun-eater Dr. Solar, Magnus etc. etc. A time of pure magic as Batmania swept the land. Followed by Marvel Super heroes on tv. I learned so much about life from my comics, I learned to read and also how to draw and I did...every chance I got. All my comics and in great detail.

Soon I was getting my books from comic vending machines which had slots for the dime and 2 pennies just like the laundromat washing machines

As the society changed, so did the comics and I recall Neal Adams impact on DC and Austin/Colan on Marvel, Steranko doing Capt. America and the X-men. I also recall seeing Howard Rogofsky (sp) ad for the first back issues of comics list published circa 1970.

My collections from many publishers grew during those years. Around 1971 my interests on current titles dwindled so I concentrated on acquiring back issues.

This continued the rest of my life until the greatest natural disaster in history devastated here in August 2005. I'm still sorting and salvaging and restoring what I had lost.

Currently I have two non-profit projects, the first was the Villainess project previously outlined, the other is to do photorealistic recreations of both Golden Age and Silver Age heroes. This would be very similar to Alex Ross work on DC and work seen in MARVELS. These illustrations would be taken accurately from the original panels. I do pretty fair photomanips now and would love to coordinate with other interested artists. My goal would be to get these online to download free as desktop or whatever.

As a researcher, I've always shared whatever I've come up with and happy to help any in need as best I can.

For a brief while I was beginning to empathize with Klaatu. My intentions were nothing but honorable altho  I knew not of your ways to do things in this dimension.

Thats a brief outline of my comics background, I hope its enough data to help you to better know me. 

Anyone wanting to PM or email me, please feel free.

Dimitri
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 07:08:20 PM »

A great suggestion, she is an alltime CLASSIC! I was able to locate her in Air Fighters v2 n2. Do you know of any other issues she appeared in? 
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 07:14:13 PM »

To go with Narf's suggestion, I would also google "golden age villianesses" -- a lot of references will come up in the results.

B.

Thanks B! That turned up a number of charachters that will qualify, many I've never seen before. Now the fun part,  finding which specific issues they appear in. Thats where the detective work, cross referencing and looking at covers in hopes that the story remains faithful to that art!
ip icon Logged

ROV08

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 07:18:56 PM »

Will Eisner's Spirit almost cornered the market for sexy villainesses back in the 40's, no wonder the poor guy always looked so tired out !!! ;D

-Nigel

LOL! Yeah now that you mention it, it all makes sense now!

P'Gell, Satin, Sand Saref. Im going to dive into doing Spirit downloads, any specific issues that you might recommend?
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 12:45:49 AM »

Ha! That makes me wonder how many times the same scenario was replayed across the small towns back in those times. The trade 2 for 1 or cost you a nickle stacks in the corner stores.

Then the report that there was a place on the other side of town that also had the nickle stacks so we would traverse the roads on the big adventure to check out the new place and see what new comics might be there as we had the other store's stack memorized enough to know when someone else bought in comics to trade and we'd want to be there often enough so we'd get the first dibs on them.

Remembering a comic buddy who did something to get his pop mad at him and pop threatened to throw his comics out.

So he makes the mile trip to my place pulling his collection of JIM#83 to Thor on up with his FF collection and a slew of others in his younger brothers little red wagon to hide them out at my place til' the crisis passed! heh heh I can still remember that sunny day by the corn field on the corner, meeting him halfway to help him out and the walking on eggshells look he had on his face as he passed ownership over to me for those weeks.

Never bought a comic from a vending machine tho'. That sounds pretty novel. Ah, another experience of youth I never had. Oh well. snorK*

I still have some of the homemade comics we made back in gradeschool. Can be a hoot to look at now. Flying characters with lasers shooting from out of hands. (gee, where'd one ever get an idea like that I wonder.)

Recalling the one dollar a week allowance from chores that I could spend how ever I wanted.
Outside of balsawood airplanes and penny candy from the glass display in the store that held the nickle stacks you know where the money went.

12cents a book times 8 came to $.96 and $.04 tax came to one dollar and Saturdays I was gone into hiding as I delved into my new stash. There weren't enough new comics worth getting to cover 32 a month so I had the extra cash for the nickle stack.

[/quote]

...the money for my newfound habit was not easily acquired so one of my methods was to locate old soda bottles (we call them soft drinks here) and  turn them in to a local mom and pop grocery for the deposit. I was 7.

Soon I began trading with other kids and then to barber shops around the neighborhood. This was a time when you could go to that corner grocery and request the "comics stack" these were taken from under the counter and you would look thru them as quickly as you could. Many of these books had half the cover ripped off and were sold for 5 cents instead of the standard 12 cents...

Soon I was getting my books from comic vending machines which had slots for the dime and 2 pennies just like the laundromat washing machines...

My collections from many publishers grew during those years. Around 1971 my interests on current titles dwindled so I concentrated on acquiring back issues.

[/quote]
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 01:18:59 AM »

B.

Thanks B! That turned up a number of charachters that will qualify, many I've never seen before. Now the fun part,  finding which specific issues they appear in. Thats where the detective work, cross referencing and looking at covers in hopes that the story remains faithful to that art!

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,234.0.html

You might want to check out the above thread and download a copy of The Keltner Index -- it is kind of a must-have for Golden Age Comics fans and might serve you in tracking down particulars centered around your project.

B.
ip icon Logged

ericinwisconsin

message icon
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »

Darn! Someone already mentioned P'Gell! She was THE femme fatale of the Golden Age comics world. My favorite is the issue where she became a teacher in an attempt to seduce a scientist to reveal his secret formula. Eisner found clever ways to include the Spirit logo into the front page, and this one had P'Gell lounging on the word "Spirit", school books in one hand, cigarette holder in the other. Tight skirt and low-cut top. Mmmm. I LOVE me some P'Gell!  ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.