in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Spider

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Spider  (Read 10252 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
The Spider
« on: December 26, 2012, 04:01:30 AM »

According to http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_(Pulp) the first 12 issues of The Spider are PD. Does anyone know otherwise or should we get them?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:26:08 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: The Spider
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »

Narf, the page your link takes me to has no information at all.

Stumped

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:26:56 PM »

I don't know why the ending ) is not part of the link. You need to add it to the link
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:56:13 PM »

You can go back and edit it as well Narf.
Here is the good link -
http://pdsh.wikia.com/wiki/Spider_%28Pulp%29

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 10:48:27 PM »

I will do my own copyright check this weekend and let you know what I find (or don't find as the case may be).

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 12:54:44 AM »

Thanks Joe. It is interesting with characters that have stories in PD but the characters are trademark. I was surprised to find that Zorro is actually in PD.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 07:13:42 PM »

I think Text stories are a great idea. I'd love to see a downloadable text division here. Just my thought.

RB
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »

I totally agree. It will be after Easter before I have a chance to look at it.

I am talking downloadable text, not image text. Also, I see all those text stories in our comics 1000's of them ... a minority we could not legally OCR, but there is a whole lot of "rubbish" that we could :) So many more words for the search engines :)
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 10:57:51 PM »

It is interesting with characters that have stories in PD but the characters are trademark. I was surprised to find that Zorro is actually in PD.

I believe that only the earliest Zorro stories are PD.  Johnston McCulley wrote around 60 Zorro adventures (novels, novellas and short stories) between 1919-1959.

It is the same case with Tarzan and John Carter.  Some of the early books have gone PD but the Burroughs estate keeps trademarks active on the characters.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 02:28:25 AM »

Anything before 1923 right is a good as it gets PD wise
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 04:49:49 PM »

Downloadable Text yes indeed! Go Man Go....Bring it it forth Great Easter Rabbit! We await the the Eggs....
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:48:41 PM »

We haven't opened what Santa has brought us yet. But will any day now :)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

josemas

message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 03:01:51 PM »

Well I did a search on The Spider for copyright renewals and it does seem that the renewals do not start until V4 #1 (#13) so the first 12 issues do seem to be PD.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

Ajnaabi

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 04:57:31 PM »

I have a Spider comic
"The Spider v/s the animator"
Is it PD is the question, as i don't have it's cover page.
Will scan and post it here if it's PD.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »

Ajnaabi, that's a different Spider and it's not p.d. I'm afraid.  So we can't host it here.  There is a whole series of Fleetway pocket albums with The Spider, Steel Claw and other characters but they are becoming expensive to buy.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 02:04:41 AM »

The Motion picture Serial is available online.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdFwW0S4nJ8
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2014, 12:46:49 AM »

thanks cap
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2014, 02:27:41 PM »

And here's the link to the 1941 follow-up serial, " The Spider Returns"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmJ8akT0GNo

The only problem with this one is the The Spider doesn't use those big automatics that he wielded in the first serial.

I also noticed that Mysterious Doctor Satan is on you tube.  Featuring The Copperhead, who, given his real name and background, seems to be an attempt to do a 3rd. Batman serial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnXbmZELDSs

Doing some searches will also turn up both Green Hornet serials and The Secret Code which features The Black Commando.  Great stuff.
ip icon Logged

Ajnaabi

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 07:31:28 PM »

Ajnaabi, that's a different Spider and it's not p.d. I'm afraid.  So we can't host it here.  There is a whole series of Fleetway pocket albums with The Spider, Steel Claw and other characters but they are becoming expensive to buy.

Thanks  paw, for the pointer...
Oh ho !
That is the third "Spider" character I found around...
Mine was a "Fleetway" character
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2014, 02:41:41 PM »

There have been a few Spider characters over the years. In comics, Gray Morrow sort of revived a version of the pulp/movie serial  version in one of those odd back to back comics.  The other side was titled Web Man, I think.  Can anyone shed a bit more light as I can't find my copy?
The Fly (Archie/Radio Comics) had a recurring villain called The Spider. And in books, Johnston McCulley had a villainous Spider.  This is a quote from the pulpnet:-
"The Spider was another villain that McCulley created. He was injured as a youth and confined to a wheelchair, but he uses his intellect to be a criminal mastermind. He, too, had stories reprinted in hardback, which Wildside Press has reprinted."

Ajnaabi, The Spider comic you have is the classic British character.  A villain from the start, who later does fight evil.   I think I prefer him as a villain.  Fleetway did the same with The Steel Claw, originally a villain, he later becomes a good guy and at one point actually has a superhero costume.  That part didn't last long and I could be one of the few folk who enjoyed it.
I thoroughly recommend the original pulp Spider and the Johnston McCulley book character, in fact most of McCulley's output, because if you fancy reading thrillers with vigilante style costumed characters/costumed cracksmen, try The Crimson Clown, Thunderbolt and, for a great villain, Black Star.
You could also do worse than track down early Blackshirt books by Bruce Graeme.
ip icon Logged

Ajnaabi

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2014, 05:34:04 PM »

Thanks paw,
I am a fan of British character it seems, i go crazy with their B/W fine artworks.
Fleetways, Victors, Battles, etc etc.....whatever... even their storylines are Super...
Also Tarzans, and not to leave behind that Australian Frew character you keep using on your Avatar ... :)
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 07:10:13 PM »

That's what you get if you ever look for some Spider comics in France and Italy:

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 01:05:08 AM »

cool cover Florian
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 04:10:26 PM »

Excellent, thank you.
The Spider was reprinted in France, Italy, Spain, Netherlands and India and this link will take you to 5 Spanish covers:-
http://www.tebeosfera.com/obras/publicaciones/galeria/flierman_vertice_1981.html

And this link has piles of Spanish, Indian and British covers and pages:-
http://cinetvcomic.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/flierman.html

Spider had different names at different times and in different countries.  In France he appeared as Spiderman and later, Blackman.  And in Netherlands,as De Spin.  As you can see from Florian's post, he was Spiderman, L'Uomo Ragno in Italy and Flierman in Spain.  Not sure if Marvel stuck their oar in and the foreign publishers felt they had to alter the title.  In the U. K. he remains as The Spider.
ip icon Logged

Ajnaabi

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

"Informative paw" as usual.
I never knew that Spider also had his indian Reprints.
I bet those tamils printed them without even obtaining any copyrights, Did u see some of those indian Covers, they even made the Spider a PD character.... ha ha.....

I wish they also have a "Download Now" button with them.
Btw, Where are those cool comics....... ???? (to dcp/minutemen/Indys)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.