in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Retro golden age superheroes

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Retro golden age superheroes  (Read 10778 times)

fate man

message icon
Retro golden age superheroes
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:42:16 PM »

Have any of you guys created your own retro golden age superheroes?
ip icon Logged

fumetti

message icon
Re: Retro golden age superheroes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:30:32 AM »

Not so much Golden Age as Silver.  I worked on some stories for Big Bang Comics back in the '90s.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 02:12:49 PM »

I have the office work-up book for Big-Bang 1
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:45:17 PM »

I have created over 100 characters when I was designing my Good Guys and Gals narrators for the site back in 1997 through 2003. Bad "art" and all.

RB @ Work

whatever happened to Allen/Fate?

ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2013, 06:53:26 PM »

I have created over 100 characters when I was designing my Good Guys and Gals narrators for the site back in 1997 through 2003. Bad "art" and all.

RB @ Work

whatever happened to Allen/Fate?

I Have been busy with other things lately,thanks for asking!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »

Good to hear from you again. So many post when they first join then disappear.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:15:19 PM »

Good to hear from you again. So many post when they first join then disappear.

Thanks,It's good to be back!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »

Good you're back, fate man.
Many years ago, I tried to work up a set of Masked Mystery Men in the vain hope that I could find someone to illustrate these heroes and then we could try to produce comics or, preferably, illustrated pulp style stories.  Apart from my complete inability to write in anything remotely resembling an entertaining or lucid way, this was a time when there were some concerns that if the ideas were put out there, they might be "borrowed".
Don't really care now, so the adventures of Kid Kincaid; Speed Wilkins and all the rest are distant memories and a few notes gathering dust.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 01:48:02 AM »

Good you're back, fate man.
Many years ago, I tried to work up a set of Masked Mystery Men in the vain hope that I could find someone to illustrate these heroes and then we could try to produce comics or, preferably, illustrated pulp style stories.  Apart from my complete inability to write in anything remotely resembling an entertaining or lucid way, this was a time when there were some concerns that if the ideas were put out there, they might be "borrowed".
Don't really care now, so the adventures of Kid Kincaid; Speed Wilkins and all the rest are distant memories and a few notes gathering dust.

Thanks,I Am glad to be back.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:49:49 AM »

I Have another question for you guys:Who are your favorite retro golden age superheroes?
Sorry to ask!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »

Not so much Golden Age as Silver.  I worked on some stories for Big Bang Comics back in the '90s.

Ahh-- Venus and Knight Watchman.  I have all of those (or most of them). I also set up the GCD indexes for most of those books, and posted cover images. (It got annoying when someone would go in and tamper with either of those-- what's the point of replacing a really NICE cover image with a noticably inferior one? Better to work on my own website where I have the final say. Similarly, I was actually kicked off the BIG BANG yahoo group, no connection to Gary Carlson whatsoever, because the guy running the group was one of the most obnoxious, unmittigated A**H***s online.)

I did a few pin-ups for Gary Carlson, but the bottom dropped out before he could use them. Gary actually sent me copies of a few older books I was missing.  What a guy!!!  I also supplied a lot of images for the BIG BANG website.  When I finally am able to again, the recent KW comic is on my "git" list.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 02:56:29 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »

As I think I said on another thread, BIG BANG COMICS was about my favourite retro Golden Age/Silver Age superhero publication. So it's amazing to have someone posting here who was involved with bringing me so much satisfaction.

[My one quibble is that whenever I go on eBay or other sites in search of back issues for BING BANG COMICS (1940s "whites" published by Maple Leaf), the search engine assumes I meant BIG BANG COMICS.]

Behind BIG BANG, I would put Alan Moore's SUPREME and 1963. And then ASTRO CITY.

Also a few years back, Marvel put out a comic called AGE OF THE SENTRY. The Sentry being, apparently, another Marvel counterpart of Superman. I didn't know anything about this character, so I read this comic book cold. That series ran for six issues, but I hoped it would be an open ended run. The stories were clearly meant to pay tribute to the classic Superman comics. "Tribute" I say, although they may have been intended to mock Superman--but the way I read the comics, I never got that feeling. I felt like this short-lived series was written and lllustrated with unbashed love and admiration for classic DC (one sees a lot of DC comics that betray a love for classic Marvel, but rarely Marvel showing any respect for classic DC).

I understand that The Sentry as a character within the Marvel Universe is viewed with great contempt, but I've never read any of those comics. To me the AGE OF THE SENTRY demonstrated that modern artists and writers could go back to the classic motifs and do a good job of it. Whereas, usuallly I find most tributes to the past miss the mark completely.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:30:19 PM »

Oh yeah, in my previous post I also meant to mention NATIONAL LAMPOON PRESENTS THE VERY LARGE BOOK OF COMICAL FUNNIES from 1975. This was an absolute high water mark in retro parody/homage--even though it was a lampoon, I learned a lot about comics history from this book.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 06:40:22 PM »

Wow,that is interesting.,I Remember when a superhero team known as the american crusaders was featured in DC's impact comics line back in the 1990s.the team was comprised of the shield,the black witch,doc strong,captain commando,and the firefly.they were active during the 1950s.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 07:56:31 PM »

Some folks here might remember the short-lived Bob Newhart series from the early 90s, "Bob"--which also starred Cynthia Stevenson as his daughter (in the first season). Newhart played Bob McKay, creator of the classic superhero, Mad-Dog. Mad-Dog was cancelled after the whole bother in the early 50s that brought about the Comics Code, and McKay ended up working in the greeting card industry. A heartless conglomerate (the American-Canadian Trans-Continental Communications Company) acquires the rights to Mad-Dog and wants to revive the character as a Dark Age vigilante.

The show was really on the nose about everything going on in comics at the time. The dynamic in the McKay family was also fun--they loved the movies of Don Knotts. But after the first season the whole show was revamped and the cast (except for Newhart) dumped.

Anyway, Marvel did a tie-in MAD-DOG comic. This was a flip comic with two covers. One side of the comic had the nice 1950s style Mad-Dog (with some work by Ty Templeton, as I recall) and the other side of the comic had your more typical 1990s style superhero action. I hardly bothered with the 1990s stories, but I liked the retro stories.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 09:58:43 PM »

Some folks here might remember the short-lived Bob Newhart series from the early 90s, "Bob"--which also starred Cynthia Stevenson as his daughter (in the first season). Newhart played Bob McKay, creator of the classic superhero, Mad-Dog. Mad-Dog was cancelled after the whole bother in the early 50s that brought about the Comics Code, and McKay ended up working in the greeting card industry. A heartless conglomerate (the American-Canadian Trans-Continental Communications Company) acquires the rights to Mad-Dog and wants to revive the character as a Dark Age vigilante.

The show was really on the nose about everything going on in comics at the time. The dynamic in the McKay family was also fun--they loved the movies of Don Knotts. But after the first season the whole show was revamped and the cast (except for Newhart) dumped.

Anyway, Marvel did a tie-in MAD-DOG comic. This was a flip comic with two covers. One side of the comic had the nice 1950s style Mad-Dog (with some work by Ty Templeton, as I recall) and the other side of the comic had your more typical 1990s style superhero action. I hardly bothered with the 1990s stories, but I liked the retro stories.

Oh,Yeah,I Remember that show.,it was awesome.I Also remember when i created a character of my own known as the hooded skull,and entered him in a contest that took place on richard's good guys and gals of the golden age site,years ago.The character was illustrated by richard,and i won the good guys and gals of the golden age CD-ROM.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 03:03:54 PM »

I Have one question:do any of you remember captain justice from the tv series"once a hero"?
It aired on ABC tv back in the 1980s?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 06:59:43 PM »

I don't remember it but IMDB shows it only lasted 5 episodes
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

Yeah,I See what you mean.,the marvel comic book based on that show did not last long either.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 06:59:17 AM »

I Have one question:do any of you remember captain justice from the tv series"once a hero"?
It aired on ABC tv back in the 1980s?

Is that the one where a comic book character entered the real world?

If so, I liked the parts set in the comic book world (especially the scene where he reveals his secret ID to his love interest who reveals that everyone knew it they just didn't say anything) that was more fun than the powerless hero in the real world stuff.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 03:14:54 PM »

Of course, perhaps the most ridiculous issue of BIG BANG COMICS was the one where they paid tribute to the "Image" era... (while it was still going on!!!)    ;D

http://www.comics.org/issue/305797/cover/4/
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 07:05:47 PM »

Of course, perhaps the most ridiculous issue of BIG BANG COMICS was the one where they paid tribute to the "Image" era... (while it was still going on!!!)    ;D

http://www.comics.org/issue/305797/cover/4/

Oh,Yeah,I Remember that one!
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2013, 11:40:28 PM »

Who remembers general glory and ernie from the dc comic book"justice league international"?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2013, 01:55:37 AM »

I was a fan of JLI. I also got the new JLI until they canceled it.
ip icon Logged

fate man

message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2013, 10:26:45 PM »

Have any of you guys ever seen the two-part episode of justice league entitled"legends"?
It featured a superhero team known as the justice guild of America,which was based on the justice society of America.
it was comprised of cat-man,black siren,the green guardsman,tom turbine,and the streak.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.