in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

topic icon Author Topic: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39  (Read 46947 times)

hoover

message icon
Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39
« on: February 01, 2013, 12:26:41 PM »

That title should really be attempted uploads.

I added a couple of files some days ago under hoover/Bogof39 which I haven't posted until now.  They were Captain Marvel Adventures Weekly - Miller v1n13 1953 for the UK/Australian comics section and Girls' Crystal 0446 for the Pulp Fiction section.
I decided since then to use Bogof39 for the UK uploads as so many are now on site marked as that.
I've been trying out a few more of the Captain Marvel series today and made a few errors.
The first upload I tried was Captain Marvel Adventures Weekly - Miller v1n03 1953 and I uploaded from the wrong folder a non-archived file which needs scrapping. 
Further uploads went well until I got to #18 when it seemed to upload and then stalled before the Add to Database page appeared.  I aborted that, (I think), and went to #19 which was fine except that I noticed on #20 I had forgotten to change the credit from hoover to Bogof39.  #20 also stalled and after several minutes I cancelled that as well.
I hope some kindly Administrator can sort them out.  I'll try to upload the rest later.
hoover/Bogof39
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
Re: Some uploads from Hoover/Bogof39
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 07:52:46 PM »

Thanks to whoever sorted out the first batch.

I've added a few more with slightly less errors.  I left a .cbr on the title of a Girls' Crystal (Pulp Fiction) and I pointed Captain Marvel 18 to the Girls' Crystal section.

I've added another issue of Boys' Magazine to the mis-named Boy's Magazine section.

The Girls' Crystals that I added are not in numerical order as the previously added issues omitted the apostrophe.

The Captain Marvel Weekly issues finished with #24 and the following week The Marvelman started.  I've dated them all from the first issue although later numbers may have been in 1954.
I'm not sure if the remainder of the set will be scanned as the sewing needs to be unpicked.  If I do it the issues will probably be in shreds.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 08:21:13 PM »

Bob, that was me and as I was about to post the reply my keyboard started acting up and I couldn't type, sorry.  I seem to have fixed it now. The early one you were concerned about looked fine and was all there so I added it also.  In the words of the legendary Wilfred Pickles, " Have a go" - again (I added that last bit).
The .cbr will be fine ( I take it you've figured out how to change the extension?) and the Girls' Crystal is a good addition to the collection and although I haven't checked it all, I don't think there is a Noel Raymond story.  Pity.
It'll be tomorrow, I think, before I can check the new stuff. In the words of Tilly, "Bear with, bear with"
An apostrophe spotter?  You're right, of course and if I remember I'll fix it.
This is all good stuff.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:16:30 PM »

All the Girls' Crystals that I had containing Noel Raymond stories were sent to Friardale where they were turned into PDFs.  If you want them as CBRs I can upload them.
Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2013, 04:10:16 PM »

Bob and, hopefully, the rest of you, Ranger#38 is now in the pulp section and features Black Whip, a British masked mystery man who, although obscure, is a favourite of mine.  At one time in his career he wore a skintight suit and tight hood as opposed to the version in this issue's illos.  Thanks, Bob, I love this.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2013, 09:51:31 PM »

I've just added a few more to the pulp section.
The copies of the Schoolgirl and Girls' Crystal were sent to Friardale where they made PDFs out of them but I prefer this format.
The next two issues of Boys' Magazine continue the serial(s) and in the following issues which I will edit soon are some western stories supposedly written by Buck Jones.  The blurb in issue 21 previewing them reads more like a British editor's comments.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 05:07:53 PM »

Boys' Magazine and Girls' Crystal all now on site.  Falcon Swift eh, yet another of the great British detectives.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 04:17:27 PM »

I've uploaded a few more issues of Boys' Magazine including the start of the stories written by 'Buck Jones' and also an issue of The Popular which includes an episode of The Rio Kid stories.

Bob
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »

Thanks Bob.  Very glad to have you on the site with all of your wonderful goodies!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »

Another excellent pile of Boys' Magazine and Girls' Crystal issues from Bob.  Boys' Magazine features adventures of Falcon Swift and are more than worth a look. We now have Sexton Blake; Dixon Hawke and Falcon Swift of the pantheon of British detectives.  And a Terry Brent 6 pager here:-
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28508
Girls' Crystal is the text version from before it changed to strips. Have a look, it's all enjoyable stuff.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:59 PM »

Thanks Bob!  Great additions to our ever growing sections of pulps, dime novels and story papers!

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

I've just added the following papers.
Girls' Crystal 172  179 (tanned/stained)  180   181.  These are available on Friardale in PDF format.

Boys' Magazine  31  32  33  288 missing pp 15-22.  The missing pages in the latter appear to be the penultimate page of the long complete story and one short story.  As the two serials are complete I thought it worth adding.

Bob
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 08:02:23 PM »

They are on the site now.  Thanks, Bob.
That was the problem with Friardale, the pdf's that is. I have a programme to convert them but it doesn't always work and it was relatively slow, so your submissions are saving us a lot of time.  Apart from that, Friardale is a wonderful resource and I do notice more .cbr files appearing.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2013, 11:19:40 AM »

I meant to point out in my last post that the Boys' Magazine covers are on dull pinkish/lilac? paper which can be seen on the inner covers but my scanner cuts it out on the outer covers.  A rough approximation  can be achieved by about minus 45 points Green.  I think they look better without it so I've left them as they come out but that is what they really look like.

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »

I've just uploaded some Boys' Magazines and Populars for the Pulp Fiction section.
BM #289 has my third and last episode of the Edwy Searles Brooks serial.
Popular #438 has a short Sexton Blake story.
Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »

All available on site now.  Off to download Popular #438 and get my Blake fix.  Great stuff.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »

A few more Boys' Magazines added.
Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 09:10:06 PM »

On site now. Ta.
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 07:35:35 PM »

I've uploaded my remaining Boys' Magazines.  Three are incomplete.

Bob
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 08:30:00 PM »

Excellent, Bob.  All available now.  "The Space Rover Flashes To Venus" - you have to wonder.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 03:08:31 AM »

I don't think the term flashing had the same meaning back then  :D
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2013, 05:01:54 PM »

I've just added three issues of the Rocket story paper.  #71 I bought last June and I've only just got around to scanning it.  #57 and #67 are not too good as they were scanned several years ago, before stitching programs were easily available and I had to omit top and bottom margins to scan the text.  Count them as reading copies until a better scan comes along.

Bob 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 05:45:30 PM »

All gratefully received, thank you, Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »

I've started to add some Lion comics to the UK and Australian section.  At least one could do with .cbz being removed from the name.  I may have made an error adding #66 and possibly #79.  I still have over 100 to add when my eyes uncross.

Jimpy has been editing my D C Thomson papers from 1948 but there is nowhere in the pulp section for them to go.  The titles are Adventure, Hotspur, Rover and Wizard. 

Bob
ip icon Logged

hoover

message icon
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »

Just added a few more Lions but mistakes are increasing.  #152 and #153 should be up but I may have done two #152.

Bob
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.