in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Professor H's Wayback Machine

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

topic icon Author Topic: Professor H's Wayback Machine  (Read 159450 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Professor H's Wayback Machine
« Reply #175 on: August 18, 2013, 04:17:57 PM »

Just upgraded my HULK blog page, doing additional clean-ups to the extensive cover restorations there. I also just done doing one on FANTASTIC FOUR #12, which I've added to the page, as well as re-formatting the text the more closely go along with the images.

A look back at the earliest days of Marvel's most violent, destructive and unpredictable  "hero".

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2012/01/hulk.html
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 04:24:29 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #176 on: August 20, 2013, 04:10:57 PM »

FANTASTIC FOUR #11 / Feb'63

I didn't wanna have done FF #1-10 and 12 without doing this one as well.

SEVERAL hours' work.  The whole right edge of this had to be filled in, there were creases all the way down the left edge, the skin tones went too pink, and the FF's uniforms had a hint of turquoise rather than dark blue.  Apart from that, this came out real nice!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xuZYgZQztb0/UhOSNrhXutI/AAAAAAAAOrE/976uKFtbKPM/s1600/FF+011_cc_BP_HK.jpg

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #177 on: August 20, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

I'm sorry the BATMAN story is taking so long to process... but anyway, here's Week 5, all nicely cleaned up.  5 down, 1 more to go!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2013/08/batman-1966-part-3.html
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »

Always appreciated these.

Everyone has their own sense of humor. I like Whitney Ellsworth's oddball sense of humour, which is different from the humour of the TV show and different again from the kind of thing you would see a comic book.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #179 on: August 24, 2013, 06:09:51 PM »

The TV show had several different types of humor based on who was doing the writing. And the quality of the writing varied DRASTICALLY.

First up, you had (the infamous) Lorenzo Semple Jr., who apparently could have written for POLICE SQUAD! (IN COLOR).  Check out the intense, dramatic, tragic scene...  "Poor, deluded girl...  what a terrible way to go go."

I think it was Robert Butler (sorry if I don't feel like looking it up) who did the 1st Penguin story.  The humor there seemed more situational.  Like, Penguin & henchman in their prison cell, being "acclimated" to the outside world they're about to return to, by being allowed to wear their "civilian" clothes-- namely, their CRIMINAL costumes. This is "reform"?  Later, Penguin catches a man he believes is an "industrial spy" trying to "steal his secrets", and because he's planning to KILL Batman, he can't have anyone snooping around and interfereing... so he has this anonymous unknown guy DUMPED INTO THE FURNACE.  Not realizing, the guy on the conveyor belt heading for certain death is really Bruce Wayne.  See, that's an entirely different kind of hilarious.

The Mr. Freeze story (with George Sanders) almost seems to have walked in from some other tv series... because, it's played so "straight".  It's the closest they ever got to the feel of a GREEN HORNET episode.

Then you have Stanley Ralph Ross, who wrote most of the later King Tut and Catwoman stories.  This guy knows how to mix drama with SLAPSTICK and COMEDY.  When I was growing up, some of these used to make me squirm, but now, I give them a "pass", simply because... THEY'RE SO F***ING FUNNY!  The 2 "Shame" stories in particular feel like they wandered in from some other show... like, NIGHT COURT.  Would you believe this guy went on to "develop" the Lynda carter WONDER WOMAN for tv?

Then there's Charles Hoffman... he wrote both Mad Hatter stories, among other things.  Except for the odd moments (and those seem accidental), his stories weren't reallly "funny".  Just... "STUPID".  Naturally, executve William Dozier must have felt the show was "still too good" when it hit #1 in the ratings, so when Semple left, he promoted Hoffman, his WORST writer, to story editor, to oversee everyone else's scripts.

This explains how the "Sandman" story went from "the best script we've ever gotten!" (in Dozier's words) to the finished version which the writer had his name removed from.

The '66 BATMAN show continues to fascinate me... it had SO MUCH potential... "IF ONLY...!"
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #180 on: August 26, 2013, 08:07:31 PM »

It's been months since I've posted anything at my "Zodiac Comics" blog (the one devoted to MY work).  Well, here's a new page, with some very old work on it. 

This is me trying my hand at inking Sal Buscema, Herb Trimpe, Frank Robbins, Gene Colan, and Carmine Infantino!  Enjoy.

http://professorhszodiaccomics.blogspot.com/2013/08/inking-samples.html
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #181 on: August 27, 2013, 02:16:29 AM »

Really great looking work Henry. Some pencilers look much harder to ink than others and leave more to the inker
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #182 on: August 27, 2013, 02:04:15 PM »

Thanks.  My experience as a drafting detailer came in handy with something like the MAN FRM ATLANTIS page, where about 75% of it was architecture and either straight or very precise curved lines.  The HUMAN FLY page was a lot of fun.  I wound up enjoying that more than anything from Frank Robbins I ever saw in THE INVADERS.  Also, Carmine Infantino was both fun and a challenge.  He really was the loosest with certain things, especially machinery.  That one piece of Kirby-tech he scribbled in, I had to redraw a lot of the lines to get the perspective correct on them.

Looking at these again yesterday, I can actually see myself learning as I go.  I forgt if I did these before or after art school, but I do know learning how to paint helped me loosen up a lot when it came to just inking in B&W.

The toughest part of doing these was doing them on the sort of paper that's semi-transparent, where the ink takes MUCH longer to draw, and you have to be extra-extra careful to avoid smears!  I'm not even sure exactly what I used to ink those.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #183 on: August 31, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »

Here we go!  The 3rd (and for now, final) BATMAN page. This concludes the 1st story from 1966.

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2013/08/batman-1966-part-3.html

A big "thank you" to Steve Thompson, who supplied me the missing 1st and last strips of this story. I never saw the 1st one, but I'm pretty sure I did see (and clip) the last one.  I haven't been able to locate the strips for the 2nd & 3rd stories, which I clipped, but never put in a scrap book.  (I'm also pretty sure I never read the end of the 3rd story-- as my local paper had the nasty habit of dropping adventure strips IN THE MIDDLE of stories.  Even in the 60's, it seems there was a certain contempt for comics, EVEN in the newspapers, BY the newspapers themselves!)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #184 on: September 03, 2013, 07:03:43 PM »

Thanks again for putting all of these together. There's a lot there that I don't remember reading before--so I think our paper left it out.

The next continuity with the Joker would've been when Joe Giella started on the daily strip, I believe. That one is different again in its style of humour. It would probably be read as politically incorrect now. The main person of interest isn't the Joker, but his female accomplice who is a Jewish performer posing as a Native American--but with some made up name that sounds silly.

I don't think the Joker of either the '50s or the '70s would take well to how he was often upstaged in the '60s--Mister J. always needed to be the centre of attention.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2013, 05:10:29 PM »

I've never done so much "research" for a blog-related project as I have for the one I'm working on now... and I'm still not done yet.

I was stunned this afternoon when I went looking for a pair of items in my collection I haven't set eyes on in many years... and found them, both in a relatively short space of time.  One was a "spoken word" LP (which I intend to listen to today for the first time in decades).  The other was part of my SMALL collection of "Classics Illustrated" comics-- the only one published by Dark Horse (not long after First Comics went belly-up).  I've already started re-reading that, first time in 21 years.  I knew I had these, and wanted to be able to scan them in so I could generate the BEST-possible images for the blog site.

This thing just keeps growing bigger and bigger as I go... even when I'm done, there'll still be quite a few items where I have no idea (yet) who did the artwork, so I'm looking forward to any feedback I get once it's up and running.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #186 on: September 06, 2013, 02:23:19 PM »

The single most research-intensive blog project I've done to date--

"20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA"

FEAST your eyes!!!!!

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2013/08/jules-verne.html
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #187 on: September 06, 2013, 04:42:02 PM »

At the risk of adding more research which might cause you a stroke--I think there's one other comics-related adaptation of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA.

The other day, I was looking for something else, but I remembered that there was a Sunday page by Disney where they adapted different movies and stories--as I recall, this part of the Sundays in our paper was replaced by the Batman series, so I had mixed feelings about losing it. I'm pretty sure I was cutting out these pages and saving them, but my parents must've tossed them out.

So when I went looking for that, I found the name of the series and a wikipedia listing. The series was called WALT DISNEY'S TREASURY OF CLASSIC TALES. Here's the wikipedia listing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney%27s_Treasury_of_Classic_Tales

You can see from that, that 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA appeared from August 1 '54 - December 26 '54. Just who did the art and if it was the same as the Dell comic, I don't know.

Sorry to add more to your burden, but I thought you should know about it, if you haven't heard of it already.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #188 on: September 06, 2013, 05:25:33 PM »

Here's another page I was able to find using the links at the bottom of the other wiki page--this one gives you a few panels from the strip [but in French, because the panels are taken from the translated version]:

http://coa.inducks.org/story.php?c=ZT+007

Also you can see from that page that the script was by Frank Reilly and the art was by Jesse Marsh.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 05:36:47 PM by jimmm kelly »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #189 on: September 06, 2013, 10:46:10 PM »

Spiffy!  Thanks, Jimmm.  I'm afraid those scans are too smal for me to wanna include them.

There are, by the way, at least 2 OTHER adaptations, both quite recent.  I kept tossing it around whether I should include them or not.  I figured I was already pushing it including the 2 covers for the same version, from INDIA. ("Fireside Classics"-- doesn't sound Hindu, does it?)

There's a version from "Stone Arch", which looks very cartoony (I only have one TINY cover image), and there's another by some artist named Dan Ross, which looks not only cartoony, but very amateurish.

I still wanna go back to the wikipedia page and make some more additions.  They had several listings where all they'd say would be, "in this year, this publisher did another version".  NO more info.  I was able to add artist, sometimes writers, and, when something was reprinted, and if it WAS a reprint.  For example, they listed a 1990 Pendulum press book.  No mention it was a reprint of the 1973 Pendulum Press book (which, you'd think would have been obvious!).  Via a Google Search, I found a website page devoted to Vince Fago-- the guy who sat in for Stan Lee when Lee was in WW2.  HE started Pendulum (which explains why Marvel reprinted his stuff 3 years later-- see, there was a personal connection already).  Well, that blog had the 1990 book cover posted-- it was IDENTICAL to a 2010 cover, which told me, in one shot, that the 2010 book was a repring of the 1973 book.  Which, in turn, on ANOTHER site, I found, was itself a reprint, as the story had originally been serialized in WEEKLY READER magazine!!  Isn't this nuts?

Roy Thomas told me he liked Henry Kiefer's art better than I did, as it gave it a real "19th Century" look.  I pointed him toward Gary Gianni's version, which actually looks like it was created in the 19th Century.

All this started when I mentioned to Frank Thorne that I'd love to go looking for a copy of HIS version from 1954... and he MAILED me his "last copy"!!  I couldn't do a thing with the front cover, but I was able to find a good image at Heritage Auctions.  The interiors are fine, though, nothing I can't clean up.

I also loved posting ALL those links to other websites.  It's like, not only is my blog page a collection, it's also a springboard to lots more stuff.

And this is only ONE story by ONE author so far!!!    :)
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #190 on: September 06, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »

I tried to follow the links on that web page to other pages to see if I could find an American version of the Sunday pages, but I hit a dead end. Still I wouldn't give up on searching the internet for some scans. I am always surprised by what I can find on the net if I keep digging.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #191 on: September 07, 2013, 08:44:11 AM »

When the distributor, Western Publishing, split from Dell Comics, and created their own imprint, Gold Key, many of the properties that had been licensed to Dell went with them.

As I understand it Dell put up the money and handled distribution, Western had the writers, artists, editors, printing facilities and signed most of the licenses, hence when "the divorce" happened Western kept their properties (Turok, Space Family Robinson, etc.) and the licensed properties (Disney, Warner Bros., etc.) since the license was signed with Western, not Dell.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #192 on: September 07, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »

The latest batch of coloring for fun appears at Pappy's Golden Age Comics Blogzine...

SALLY THE SLEUTH  /  Spicy Tales (1942)

http://pappysgoldenage.blogspot.com/2013/09/number-1430-sally-and-dan.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #193 on: September 07, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »

Thanks, SS.  You know the problem? I've read that story several times, and STILL can't keep it straight.

Much easier for me to make sense out of exactly WHO DID WHAT at Marvel in the 1960's.  There, every single thing makes perfect, CONSISTENT sense... if you simply allow for one simple, SINGLE idea... that the "editor" DID NOT WRITE anything apart from dialogue, except for AFTER-THE-FACT story mutilations, which happened MORE in the late 60's, rather than LESS, as most "MMMS" types would have you believe.

I had so much to try to find out, figure out and keep straight when I put that 20,000 LEAGUES project together... the intricasies of just the Dell-Western-Gold Key thing... oh well.  (Ever have that-- when some things just DO NOT WANNA go into your head and stay there?)   :P

Somehow the whole Vince Fago / Pendulum Press thing seemed more interesting! (And the only scan I've found of the interior came from the 2010 reprint, in color!)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2013, 09:09:20 AM »

I've read that story several times, and STILL can't keep it straight.

Yeah it can get confusing. Comic Book Artist did a good issue (22?) on the Dell/Western split.

Ever have that-- when some things just DO NOT WANNA go into your head and stay there?

Usually I have trouble keeping important things in my head, pointless trivia on the other hand...  ;)
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2013, 12:54:56 PM »

Yeah, I read the CBA issue.  I loved that magazine... until it switched publishers and totally changed it format.

My best friend has often joked over the phone, "I know, it's embarrassing how much I know about some of this stuff..." (referring to comics, Japanese cartoons, horror movies...) Yet, as I point out, nobody seems to make fun of those who can quote baseball statistics and the like...
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2013, 02:08:57 PM »

I added more to the Wikipedia page. They seem to leave my changes intact, unless I'm making any to pages related to Marvel series or characters... then it's like a massive conspiracy to maintain the FALSE information posted.

I still have quite a few items posted in the 20,000 LEAGUES post where the artists are unknown. If anyone can help identify these, it'd be appreciated!

Meanwhile, I seem to have nailed down every artist on STORIES FROM THE BIBLE... except for that period from 1974-79, in between Curt Swan & Frank Bolle.  There seems to be multiple artists in there, some only doing as little as a single installment.  Any help / ideas / suggestions would be very welcome.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #197 on: September 11, 2013, 09:41:47 PM »

The latest restoration...

FANTASTIC FOUR #14  /  May 1963  /  Jack Kirby & Steve Ditko

This took about 3 days to do (filling in both left & right edges, a huge amount of intricate "copy-and-paste-into" work, extensive airbrush clean-up of the flat color areas, repairing creases & color drop-outs, fixing color registration problems, adjusting the dark blues & skin tones on separate layers).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Q7_Wnb9d0gI/UjDha-Z7P2I/AAAAAAAAPEY/ZJP-yNSoQWo/s1600/FF+014_cc_BP_HK.jpg
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2013, 11:05:29 AM »

FANTASTIC FOUR #15  /  June 1963  /  Jack Kirby & Dick Ayers

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-9zJa2p16M94/UjRA8dBI44I/AAAAAAAAPGo/2gvXJuqJJ4U/s1600/FF+015_cc_BP_HK.jpg

This had so many "drop-outs" it was ridiculous.  Not to mention color registration problems, and the usual color adjustments required (dark blues, dark reds, skin tones).  Another time-consuming clean-up, and it's not even one I particularly like.  Oh well, all done now!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #199 on: September 18, 2013, 04:01:21 AM »

FANTASTIC FOUR #16 / July 1963 / Jack Kirby & Dick Ayers

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-VN4SzFBjJ8k/Ujkkivj5esI/AAAAAAAAPKA/Dy7ajlkHgPQ/s1600/FF+016_cc_BP_HK.jpg

Suffice to say... this took MUCH longer than I'd have liked to clean up. What a mess! Well, all fixed now!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 30

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.