in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Professor H's Wayback Machine

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

topic icon Author Topic: Professor H's Wayback Machine  (Read 159132 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Professor H's Wayback Machine
« Reply #600 on: July 30, 2018, 11:56:56 PM »

"MANUSCRIPT FOUND IN A BOTTLE"  /
Gallery of Illustrations   by various artists

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/06/poe-1953-pt-6.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #601 on: August 04, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »

"HOP-FROG"  /
Gallery of Illustrations   by various artists

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/06/poe-1954-pt-2a.html
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #602 on: August 08, 2018, 02:00:10 AM »

While it's not a comic, the Yours Truly Johnny Dollar episode The Casque of Death Matter has a Poe-inspired ending.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #603 on: August 12, 2018, 10:35:53 PM »

Thanks! I'll have to give that a listen.  I've been trying to include links to POE stories read by the likes of Vincent Price or Basil Rathbone, or certain radio shows-- THE WEIRD CIRCLE, THE CBS RADIO MYSTERY THEATER, etc.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #604 on: August 12, 2018, 10:41:42 PM »

from CAVALEIRO ANDANTE  #453
(Empresa Nacional de Publicidade  /  Portugal  /  September 3, 1960)
comes the 4th comics version of Poe's
"THE GOLD BUG"
     Art by Fernando Bento   (NEWLY REMASTERED!)

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2015/04/poe-1960-pt-3.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #605 on: August 30, 2018, 10:18:29 PM »

from CLASSICOS DE TERROR #14
(Editora Outubro  /  Brazil  /  1961)
comes the 4th comics version of Poe's
"THE BLACK CAT"
     Art by Luiz Saidenberg   (NEWLY REMASTERED!)

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2016/01/poe-1961-pt-2.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #606 on: October 11, 2018, 10:19:52 AM »

from TESORO DE CUENTOS CLASICOS #51
(Editorial Sea  /  Novaro  /  Mexico  /  November 1961)
comes the 5th comics version of Poe's
"THE GOLD BUG"
     Art by unknown

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1961-pt-4.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #607 on: February 02, 2019, 01:20:32 AM »

from TESORO DE CUENTOS CLASICOS #72
(Editorial Sea  /  Novaro  /  Mexico  /  August 1963)
comes the 2nd comics version of Poe's
"ARTHUR GORDON PYM"
     Art by unknown

https://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1963-pt-4.html
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #608 on: February 11, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »

MAJOR upgrade of scans!!!!!

from TALES OF TERROR
(Dell  /  February 1963)
comes the 1st comics version of Poe's
"MORELLA"
     Art by George Evans

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1963-pt-1.html

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #609 on: February 12, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »

Thank you for posting this. Wonderful scans too. there are possibly 4 other Dell EA Poes, ' Masque Of The Red Death' #33, ' The Raven' # 46', 'Tomb of Ligeia' # 56, and 'War Gods of the Deep # 61' which is listed as ' adapted from EA Poes ' City in the sea '. You would be able to tell me if this is a genuine Poe adaption or not.       You may have posted them on your site already. They are post 1963 so probably not out of copyright and therefore not on CB+. There are other EA Poe Adaptions on CB+, some I think you haven't filed yet. From now on when I find one, I will comic-mark it, so I can remember it and bring it to your attention. The Dell adaption I really would like to find tho, is not a Poe one but a Hitchcock. I believe there was an adaption of Hitchcock's film, 'ROPE" which seems quite difficult to locate. Thanks again.     
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 09:16:28 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #610 on: February 12, 2019, 04:41:17 PM »

If you go down to the bottom of the blog pages, there's a link to my POE index for the blog, where you can scroll thru every story I'm aware of, with direct links to all the ones posted-- which currently is from 1880 up to 1979.

I have, as far as I know, all the Dell POEs, taken from various blogs and massively cleaned up.  The "TALES OF TERROR" book came from 3 different blogs-- but all of them, the scans were not so hot.  Which is why, late last year, I BOUGHT a copy (for around $30.00) and am right now painstakingly cleaning up my own HIGH-RES scans!

A number of the early (1940s) stories came from this site, and a few of them are in the worst shape.  The Charlton version of "THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER" is one I would most like to be able to upgrade.  There's only so much one can do if the original scans are lousy enough (heh).  If anyone can help in this regard, ideally scans should be 300 dpi with NO adjustment at all-- I can do that part myself.

One of the biggest shocks I got in this project was about 3-1/2 years ago, when fan & artist Toni Rodriguez, down in Brazil, e-mailed hi-res scans of 8 stories from down there all in one go.  The difference in quality of some of them, from what others had posted for free on blogs, was mind-boggling, and I was almost afraid to touch some of them, for fear of losing any visual detail.  But I did!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 04:43:54 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #611 on: March 04, 2019, 04:44:59 AM »

It's a good thing I still have a few "regular" websites where I can do this, plus a growing E-MAIL list where I can directly send notifications.

just sent to FB:

For the last 4 years, I've been working on a massive blog project, where each time I get a new page finished, I post a link to it in several related groups.

All of a sudden, ALL the links to my blog have been REMOVED, allegedly, for being "in violation of community standards".  Under some of these, is a link that says, "This is not spam".

If it was "copyright violation", I'm supposed to be alerted of it. I HAVE NOT.  Therefore, if it's considered "spam", I'd like to know HOW.

All the links were being systematically shared in a very organized fashion with other fans of the material ("horror comics").  How can this possibly be considered "spam"?

Facebook is step-by-step becoming less and less useful to anybody.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #612 on: March 05, 2019, 12:42:11 AM »

The big question is - have you got all of your material saved off-line? :o

The internet is fast becoming a place where you can't assume that you can trust someone.
I don't use Facebook, because I don't want to give de facto approval to some of their policies. I don't blog on Google or use Explorer or Chrome because I want to minimize the amount of my data that gets harvested. Use a reliable browser, [search to find evaluations before you make a decision] Also a VPN.
What many don't realize, and I don't consider myself to be paranoid, I believe that if you use certain words, typed or otherwise, you can be flagged and shut down, regardless of context. I hope you can get answers and solve the problems.   
Please though, don't be discouraged from commitment to your enterprise. Keep going with it.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #613 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:55 PM »

One thing I know-- the alleged issue was "spam", not Copyright.

I've been working on my POE project since October 2014. That's almost 4-1/2 years now.

In all that time, only TWO people have EVER brought up the question of "Copyright".

The first was George Warner, who was buying-- and destroying for the sake of creating "restorations"-- a set of Skywalds. After first offering to help, he then pulled a "180" and DEMANDED that I remove "his" scans from my blog, which included his clean-ups of various Skywald covers. This caused Patrick Ford to interject, that Warner could have no real claim of Copyright on art he HAD NOTHING TO DO with the creation of. And, that Warner's entire objection stemmed from his learning, in the comments section of a COMICS JOURNAL interview with Jack Kirby, how I felt about S*** L**. No, REALLY.

The second was my brother, whose ONLY comment on my showing him my project was... "What about copyrights?" Geez.

Well... thanks to the "Killer Kittens From Beynd The Grave" blog... I have a DEFINITIVE answer to this BULLSHIT. Here it is, from the "COPYRIGHT.GOV" site:

"107. Limitations on exclusive rights: Fair use40

Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright. In determining whether the use made of a work in any particular case is a fair use the factors to be considered shall include
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #614 on: March 07, 2019, 10:50:16 PM »

MAJOR upgrade of scans!!!!!

from TALES OF TERROR
(Dell  /  February 1963)
comes the 5th comics version of Poe's
"THE BLACK CAT"
     Art by Fran Matera

https://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1963-pt-2.html
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:41:16 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #615 on: March 08, 2019, 01:10:50 AM »

Very tasty!

Fran Matera  put a lot of heart into his work on this one!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #616 on: March 21, 2019, 02:58:56 AM »

I recently started a POE thread at the "CLASSIC COMICS FORUM". After several days, one of the moderators sent me a message saying that a group of moderators had noticed I was posting links to my personal blog in nearly every post, and they considered this behavior "SPAM". Right. they requested I remove the links and any mention of my blog.

MY response:

"Okay. DONE.

There are several message boards I'm a member at where I've posted threads that consist entirely of links to the stories, with NO images, but nobody there has ever accused it of being "spam".

Seeing as I do NOT make any money doing this project (NOT ONE CENT), I do have a bit of trouble comprehending how it could be considered "SPAM", but, okay......
"

That doesn't sound too sarcastic, DOES it?   ;D

The message boards I started doing this at were "COMIC BOOK PLUS" (which actually has a section specifically devoted to "blogs") and "LEGION WORLD" (a site initially set up by people who got offended by how anti-social the old "DC COMICS MESSAGE BOARDS" had become).

I guess unless someone sends me any MORE objections, I'll continue posting IMAGES. There is already a "horror covers" thread there where one guy (mostly) posts almost nothing but covers, with nearly-no "discussion".

Makes me wonder who the HELL the "moderators" at that place actually are, and if any of them are also moderators at "CAPTAIN COMICS", where I was UNANIMOUSLY banned from several years ago.

Oh yeah.  "Friendliest Message Board", they said.  RRRRRRRIGHT.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:01:01 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #617 on: March 21, 2019, 09:23:37 AM »

Well. I for one, enjoy seeing your stuff here and I hope you continue to post here. Their loss!
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #618 on: April 11, 2019, 01:59:08 AM »

I decided to continue that thread at the CLASSIC COMICS FORUM, by posting comments, along with the covers, splash pages and last pages of the stories.  It's actually working out okay.

I also figured out what to post on Facebook that could be copied and pasted into a Google Search and thereby get around their BANNING direct page links to the blog.  It just means anyone who wants to see the blog pages has to do a LITTLE extra work.  (Some people online want you to do everything FOR them... heh.   ;D )
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #619 on: April 11, 2019, 02:01:00 AM »

MASSIVE upgrade of scans!!!!!

from TALES OF TERROR
(Dell  /  February 1963)
comes the 2nd comics version of Poe's
"THE FACTS IN THE CASE OF M. VALDEMAR"
     Art by George Evans

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2018/10/poe-1963-pt-3.html
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #620 on: April 11, 2019, 10:28:06 PM »

Just checked out your blog, Henry. Some might call it overly obsessive, but I call it mighty impressive. You're clearly highly focused on some very specific things... which is a good thing. It's quite a leap from Edgar Allen Poe to Space Conquerors, but what other site can lay claim to these attractions?
ip icon Logged

positronic1

message icon
« Reply #621 on: April 11, 2019, 11:04:10 PM »

'War Gods of the Deep # 61' which is listed as ' adapted from EA Poes ' City in the sea '. You would be able to tell me if this is a genuine Poe adaption or not.

British title was City Under the Sea (close enough to Poe's poem title), but American-International released it in the U.S. as War Gods of the Deep (a better title to my mind) on a double-bill with Beach Blanket Bingo. From what I can remember of the film, it seemed to cadge more of its tropes from H.P. Lovecraft than from Poe. Not bad as it goes, but not quite a cult classic either.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #622 on: April 12, 2019, 06:39:50 PM »

Thanks for the compliment!

"overly obsessive / mighty impressive"

I'd say.... BOTH.   ;D

"WAR-GODS OF THE DEEP", it has been suggested, was an offshoot of the "retro-future" fad of Jules Verne & H.G. Wells films that probably was jump-started with Disney's "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA" (after all these decades, still my vote the the greatest live-action adventure film that studio ever did).

Unfortunately, the story doesn't live up to its potential... and Vincent Price's "Captain" is NO Captain Nemo... or even Robur The Conqueror.  My 2 main beefs with the film are that Price's character CANNOT be reasoned with... and, the geography and how the various areas of the undersea complex are related MAKES NO SENSE.  (Some years ago I wrote a story set in a small town in my area, and I scouted locations before I wrote one word, so I'd KNOW where each spot was in relation to the others.)  Just last year I finally got around to watching a "good" print of the thing in WIDESCREEN... which usually helps.  In this case, it didn't.

This doesn't even get into David Thomlinson's annoying character with the pet chicken.

Leading lady Susan Hart is a cutie, but appears ot have gotten the part mainly as she was married to AIP owner James H. Nicholson. 

Meanwhile... Basil Rathbone's book-on-tape reading of the poem has become one of my favorites.  He's the only person I know who's even better at reading Poe than Vincent Price!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZdWe5w3K7Y
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:43:52 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #623 on: April 12, 2019, 06:48:01 PM »

"TALES AND POEMS OF EDGAR ALLAN POE"
(The Macmillan Company  /  1963)
Gallery of Illustrations   by Russell Hoban

http://professorhswaybackmachine.blogspot.com/2019/04/poe-1963-pt-10.html
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #624 on: April 13, 2019, 12:07:48 AM »

Speaking of Vinnie's movies, Master of the World was a big influence on my high school retro-future comics. Loved that airship! It's been so long since I saw the movie that I've no idea how the story holds up. Perhaps best to leave it in the rosy glow of memory. I also liked Les Baxter's score. I still have the soundtrack album among my dusty LPs.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 30

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.