in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Friardale/Magnet/Gem etc.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Friardale/Magnet/Gem etc.  (Read 3539 times)

paxman53

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Friardale/Magnet/Gem etc.
« on: March 05, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »

I am a great Greyfriars story fan and have downloaded a few Magnets from the Friardale site.

I have converted them to .cbz format and was wondering if I can upload them to CB+. Any uploads would obviously credit Friardale as the original uploader.

If that is possible I am also willing as a large long-term project (labour of love) to convert all of them (1683 no.) and upload to CB+. Then maybe tackle the other comics available - Gem, Boy's Friend etc.

However I do not want to step over any boundries and have tried to contact the Friardale site for permission, but the contact buttons I tried didn't seem to work.

Do the administrators know if this would be a problem??

I will wait to hear if this is a viable option.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Friardale/Magnet/Gem etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »

Thanks for the offer. I am sure Paw will get back with you he is the go to guy for UK
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 05:02:16 PM »

Hi paxman (I did wonder when I saw your site name if it was a tip of the hat to his nibs).  You've set yourself quite a task but some of us would love more Old Boys Books on CB+ and what better place to start than Magnet.  You'll have noticed that there are already a few on site and some of us had converted and posted a few.  My problem was that I only have a slow, free convertor and some of the files wouldn't convert.  I have noticed that more .cbr files are appearing on Friardale and that can only be a good thing, although I think they are mainly in the Nelson Lee and Thriller sections.  As for contacting them, you've tried with no luck and as we always credit sources, where known, we shouldn't be causing offence.  After all, it's spreading the word and that's a good thing.
On a personal note, I'm a big Bunter fan also but read a lot of Nelson Lee.
So, go ahead, making sure you're not duplicating files already on, uploading only.cbz files, and making sure you don't find yourself a slave to the computer.
ip icon Logged

paxman53

message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

Okay I'll crack on with the first few and see how I get on.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »

Just a little note .cbz are our preferred format, but we happily accept .cbr.

Zip (.cbz) is the industry standard, and much easier to deal with, But as I said ... beggars can't be choosers so if it is a .cbr then so be it :)

ip icon Logged

paxman53

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

No problem Mark I prefer .cbz
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 03:32:54 PM »

Now up and should be available very soon.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

paxman53

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »

Just uploaded the first 10 Magnets with the exception of 0003 - already uploaded by Paw Broon (love the name). With regard to issue 0001 I have obviously forgot to credit Friardale, can anyone correct my oversight??

I have downloaded and converted the first year (1908 - 46 issues)

After a bit of trial and error (direct conversion from PDF resulted in either extremely large files or conversion didn't work for some reason) I have found a relatively fast method for converting the original files:

Download PDF file from Friardale using Firefox - significantly faster than Internet Explorer.
Extract images from PDF file using PDF Images Extract (cheap tool) - Bulk conversion
Create Zipped file using 7-Zip File Manager (Free)
Convert to .cbz using Comic Converter (Free) - Bulk conversion
Rename using Renamer (Free) - Bulk conversion
Upload to Comic Book Plus

So I should get through the files somewhat faster than I originally thought. Upload speed is the only restriction.

Once I see the first files are Ok I'll continue uploading on a day to day basis.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.