in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,827 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

New Blog post: More Bill Everett!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: New Blog post: More Bill Everett!  (Read 7229 times)

nick caputo

message icon
New Blog post: More Bill Everett!
« on: March 10, 2013, 11:11:14 PM »

My latest blog post follows up with Everett's western stories for Marvel in the 196o's and 1970s. There is plenty of exceptional work to enjoy!

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/2013/03/wild-bill-everetts-1960s-and-1970s.html
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: New Blog post: More Bill Everett!
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »

Thanks, Nick.  This is good stuff.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2013, 12:40:29 PM »

Real interesting seeing Everett's western art from this period.  Some I had seen years ago and much I had never seen.  He sure inked a lot of the Marvel regulars didn't he?

Btw, the Texas Ranger Buck Maynard's name probably comes from Ken Maynard and another popular western star of the period, Buck Jones.  Both were popular from the 1920s into the early 1940s.  Sol likely grew up watching them at Saturday matinees as a kid. 

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »

And another Btw but more obscure.  Buck Jones had a series of comics in the Cowboy Picture Library here in the U.K. and those stories were reprinted in France, again in digest size comics, under the title Buck John.  And in the French Buck John comics you also find the adventures of El Bravo, the masked cowboy.
There is an interesting article on Bear Alley here:-
http://bearalley.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/original-cowboy-comics.html
All original art for the Buck Jones stories done in U.K but I don't know by whom apart from Alberto Breccia seeming to have done some later issues. So any help.........
These were really successful comics here.
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2013, 09:48:45 PM »

Btw, the Texas Ranger Buck Maynard's name probably comes from Ken Maynard and another popular western star of the period, Buck Jones.  Both were popular from the 1920s into the early 1940s.  Sol likely grew up watching them at Saturday matinees as a kid. 

Thanks for adding the info, Joe. I'd forgotten about Buck Jones, but, as you norted, Sol very likely grew up with all those western period stars.

Nick C.   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:35:13 PM »

Bill Cosby did a fantastic routine about BUCK JONES.  I heard it many years before I saw one of THE ROUGH RIDERS pictures.  They were a series which featured 3 actors, all of whom had starred in their own films previously.  Sort of a western "JSA".
ip icon Logged

nick caputo

message icon
Re: New Blog post
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 02:34:00 AM »

My latest blog post showcases Kirby's feature pages in early issues of Sgt. Fury.

THis is the correct link:

http://nick-caputo.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 02:38:52 AM by nick caputo »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.